PDA

View Full Version : Generations Rhinox Video Review

zuffyprime
11-12-2013, 11:26 PM
http://tformers.com/transformers-generations-rhinox-video-review/21755/news.html

Transbot90210
11-13-2013, 10:01 AM
I need this figure. Thanks for the review/link.

PrimeCron
11-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Yup, thank you for sharing the link CJ... this is a definite pass!!!

xueyue2
11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Yup, thank you for sharing the link CJ... this is a definite pass!!!
Why is that? I thought most of the people like this one, including myself.

CBII
11-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Sweet, can't wait. The only thing that I'm not keen on is the color of the rhino plastic. I wish it had a more grey hue to it. But the bot mode looks awesome!

Chajee
11-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Definite pass for me. Never liked TFs and animals. Just doesn't make sense to me and never like it.

BoNKerS
11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
1 x Takara
1 x Hasbro

PLEASE!!!

FEZaid
11-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Ravage, Laserbeak, Predaking/Predacons, Sixshot(wolf mode), etc....Animal Transformers doesn't make any sense.

mcmus
11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
How can you pass with this figure? At least, it is better Blitzwing and FOC Soundwave/Blaster figures.

Pascal
11-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Looks good! I think it's about time we get a new series with beastformers. But only if the toys can be as good as this Rhinox and not like the so-so Beast Hunters dragons.

mcmus
11-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Looks good! I think it's about time we get a new series with beastformers. But only if the toys can be as good as this Rhinox and not like the so-so Beast Hunters dragons.
Totally agree, the BH dragons or Beasties really throw me off.

Deception
11-13-2013, 10:36 PM
i'm really loving this rhinox, i got my fingers crossed for future beast wars characters.

Rev
11-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Not into that generation of toys, but I like this.

B13
11-13-2013, 10:55 PM
I think it looks... terrible!

zuffyprime
11-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Ever since I really got invested in the Beast Wars in 98/99 I have wanted Hasbro/Takara to make a Rhinox toy that did justice to the show's animation model.

Now... finally we have one!!!!!!!

And man, am I stoked!

I cannot wait to get this figure. Aside from the gattling guns not being silver, this, to me, is a MP Rhinox.

The original toys were pieces of sh*t. Bulky, excess kibble, and bared little resemblance to their on screen counterparts. (original figs, not transmetals).

I hope they give us toys for the whole line... we need a better rhinox, rattrap, black arachnia, cheetor, air razor, tigatron, terrasaur etc...

Man totally totally digging this.

And for the guys that don't dig it, thats cool, to each their own. Until I saw all of beast wars (not just the beginning) I thought these beast transformers where abominations. Because I didn't dig robots turning into "organic" animals, as opposed to robots turning into cars/planes etc... Robot animals like predaking, ravage etc... were A ok in my book.

counting down the days till I can get me a rhinox... whoooo hoooo!

sorry this turned into a much longer post than I expected lol

MULTIPLEX
11-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Not a new concept to have animals transformers but the idea of skin or fir on a transformer is perplexing to me.

In the original BH cartoon, do these things bleed, have a heart, breath air?

Dynamo.Dave
11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Love the modes, but I think I'll get the Takara on this one to get that extra shiny paint!

Shockwave 75
11-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Not a new concept to have animals transformers but the idea of skin or fir on a transformer is perplexing to me.

You should really watch the show. The CGI isn't as sophisticated as today's, but I think it holds up.

Besides, the love for BW comes from the stories and the characterisation, not the animation.

The nature of the "flesh" gets kind of muddied by BM, IMO. The original idea was that on prehistoric Earth there was so much raw energon that it created EM fields that screwed with their bot modes, so they took animal alt/modes and covered themselves in syntho-flesh to insulate themselves from it. So it's not true living flesh and blood like Beast Machines seemed to imply.
The Beast Wars era TF's seem to be a amalgamation of several TF technologies: Micromaster, due to their decreased size, Pretender, due to their realistic beast modes, and like the Insecticons before them they can eat to supplement their energy needs as well as using traditional energon.

Love the modes, but I think I'll get the Takara on this one to get that extra shiny paint!
Is there a link to any pics of the Takara version?

I'm kind of on the fence about this figure. At the last TFCon I basically completed my BW collection when I got a MISB Metals (TM) Megatron.

I got the 15th anniversary Rhinox when it came out so, like the new Waspinator, I don't really feel the need to get this figure as I already have a Rhinox.
Maybe I need to see how he's scaled next to some actual BW figures to see if he'd fit in on my shelf, or if he'd look way too out of place.

Slave
11-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Here's Takara Rhinos... I'm torned to wait for it or get the hasbro version now...
http://s22.postimg.org/thla98q1t/rhinox.jpg

I like the Rhino brown color of the Hasbro... but everything else of the Takara... the guns alone are F-ing amazing

RNSrobot
11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I really don't like the metallic shiny skin of the takara thing.

This Rhinox toy is a 'wish list' for me. Rhinox is my favorite character in BW and his original toy was not very good. His Transmetal version was kinda fun, but wasn't representative of anything in the show. This one has the size, good transformation, great looking robot mode, and two fucking chain guns.

Chiming in on the 'organic' conversation above, it's better to just COMPLETELY IGNORE Beast Machines. ^^

(I have watched all of it, it's got some good bits, but it's far too esoteric and poorly handled to be more than 'potential.' and I really take issue with much of the characterization).

I always interpreted it like in The Terminator. "Living tissue over a cybernetic exoskeleton." Of course a Terminator doesn't transformer, splitting the tissue. But:

Nanotechnology.

In Airazor's debut, we get our first significantly detailed glimpse into the nature of a protoform... which more or less is a pool of nanotechnology around a spark. Obviously that nanotechnology solidifies into something more solid (as shown by how the transformers take damage), but they also have onboard repairs going on. Nanotechnology makes the entire thing more 'possible,' up to and including ideas of being able to change your alternate mode at convenience, or being tossed into a regeneration chamber to just... regenerate? It's a far cry from G1 where Ratchet et al actually had to fix bots up. Rhinox is an inventor, not a surgeon.

Due to the nature of the show I don't know if we can fully understand, nor were the writers able to really dive into the concepts (if they thought deeper). For instance, we don't know if the outer organic shells can bleed or contain fluids. In some episodes, characters would say things like 'can't breathe' (Cheetor being crushed by a giant snake) which doesn't make sense if he's really a robot; it comes across more as expedience for a kid's show. IIRC you hear metal 'crunching' and maybe even some sparks as he's being constricted.

Rattrap, Dinobot, Terrorsaur, Tarantulas were all shown to eat organics (Terrorsaur explicitly devouring a bird in flight). As they likely don't have stomachs or internal organs, we can suppose that a. they are able to convert organic material into fuel or b. they simply do it because they like it, and have some kind of processor inside that can mulch and reduce and eliminate it. I like that better. Of course, we're also shown Rhinox dealing with an extreme case of flatuence due to eating too many wild bean vines... as Megatron cried, how humiliating.

None of this even touches on Tigatron's preference to remain in beast mode and live with other wild tigers. He is implied to have a mate. So... are beast formers 'fully functional'?

I mean, in the end, it was a gimmick to sell more toys. That Detillo et al put as much into the mythos as they DID was above and beyond, but the concepts are pretty difficult to work around.

And fuck me I am buying the hell out of that Rhinox toy. I never thought I'd get a quality figure for the big bastard.

MULTIPLEX
11-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Wow Hasbro really cheaped out. They could have at least painted the blades a different colour. I'm really starting to understand now why you guys always praise the Takara paint apps.

Chajee
11-14-2013, 09:42 PM

This is what I meant by TFs and animals mixing not making sense. I understand mechanical animals, but TFs having animal attributes like skin and fur seems off to me.

Masta_Skidz
11-14-2013, 10:25 PM
it is pretty good I will end up buying it but this is no masterpiece in my mind there is still robot parts showing in beast mode if it was truly mp then it would have a way smoother looking alt mode and a more complex transformation this is simply the voyager we deserved back in the 90's

Shockwave 75
11-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Chiming in on the 'organic' conversation above, it's better to just COMPLETELY IGNORE Beast Machines. ^^

(I have watched all of it, it's got some good bits, but it's far too esoteric and poorly handled to be more than 'potential.' and I really take issue with much of the characterization).
I couldn't agree more.

It's actually mostly Hasbro's fault. They gave the writers of BM, the BW characters to work with, but told them not to bother watching the BW show. So it's no wonder so many of the characters were so different.
Like how easy would it have been to explain Rhinox turning evil in BM by saying it was a taint left over from when Megatron had turned him into a Predacon during the Beast Wars?

I also agree with your nanotech idea.

Due to the nature of the show I don't know if we can fully understand, nor were the writers able to really dive into the concepts (if they thought deeper). For instance, we don't know if the outer organic shells can bleed or contain fluids. In some episodes, characters would say things like 'can't breathe' (Cheetor being crushed by a giant snake) which doesn't make sense if he's really a robot; it comes across more as expedience for a kid's show. IIRC you hear metal 'crunching' and maybe even some sparks as he's being constricted.Also when Cheetor was captured by Tarantulas, and T was going to eat him, Cheetor says the he "doesn't have any real blood, only mech fluid".

Rattrap, Dinobot, Terrorsaur, Tarantulas were all shown to eat organics (Terrorsaur explicitly devouring a bird in flight). As they likely don't have stomachs or internal organs, we can suppose that a. they are able to convert organic material into fuel or b. they simply do it because they like it, and have some kind of processor inside that can mulch and reduce and eliminate it. I like that better. Of course, we're also shown Rhinox dealing with an extreme case of flatuence due to eating too many wild bean vines... as Megatron cried, how humiliating.But he was only eating the vines because of the virus that was causing him to expel his energon. Optimus told him to eat something because it would keep his energy levels up. So clearly eating does provide them with power.

And fuck me I am buying the hell out of that Rhinox toy. I never thought I'd get a quality figure for the big bastard.I was just in my collection room, altering my BW display, and wondering about the size of this new figure. I think it might fit in. I have noticed lately that most of the current voyager figures are basically the same size as the old BW mega size class; and that's the size I always thought Rhinox should have been, Dinobot too.

RNSrobot
11-15-2013, 04:50 AM
I couldn't agree more.

Like how easy would it have been to explain Rhinox turning evil in BM by saying it was a taint left over from when Megatron had turned him into a Predacon during the Beast Wars?

I also agree with your nanotech idea.

Also when Cheetor was captured by Tarantulas, and T was going to eat him, Cheetor says the he "doesn't have any real blood, only mech fluid".

I was just in my collection room, altering my BW display, and wondering about the size of this new figure. I think it might fit in. I have noticed lately that most of the current voyager figures are basically the same size as the old BW mega size class; and that's the size I always thought Rhinox should have been, Dinobot too.

Yeah... don't get me started on the Rhinox 'heel turn.' There was some transfan from the old usegroup days who wrote a great essay on the failures of BM, and for Rhinox it was basically: "Rhinox would not make that goddamn decision." Is there a way to turn him evil? Sure. But they portrayed it as a perfectly in his mind Rhinox - the protector of life, the wise sage of BW - looking at Megatron's cold, lifeless planet of order and saying "this is better."

...hate.

The voyager class pretty well is the old mega class... just with a ten dollar upcharge from ten years ago for no discernable extra toy. The step used to be $30 to the ultras, a class which seems to have disappeared with random exceptions (classics Silverbolt, Onslaught, Powerglide).

Basically if Rhinox is at least as big as Transmetal Optimus Primal (hopefully a bit taller) I'll be happy. He won't outsize the ultra class Primal, but he should be bigger than most average maximals. And way bigger than basic Rattrap!

Shockwave 75
11-16-2013, 02:09 PM
The voyager class pretty well is the old mega class... just with a ten dollar upcharge from ten years ago for no discernable extra toy. The step used to be $30 to the ultras, a class which seems to have disappeared with random exceptions (classics Silverbolt, Onslaught, Powerglide).

Basically if Rhinox is at least as big as Transmetal Optimus Primal (hopefully a bit taller) I'll be happy. He won't outsize the ultra class Primal, but he should be bigger than most average maximals. And way bigger than basic Rattrap!
This is what I'm hoping for.

And don't get me started on the whole "more money for less toy" thing that's been happening lately.