PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Crappy yellowed transformers (& maybe Alt Skids).

jourdo
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
You heard right... If you've got a yellowed worn down transformer, I want him. I want to experiment with a few ideas I have on removing the yellowing, but I don't have anything to experiement with. Even if it is pieces of a transformer, that would be good (G1 Jetfire wing?). As long as it is fairly worn down, I would be happy.

I'm looking for this on the cheap, so let me know what you have in your junk piles. Pictures would be helpful also.

Oh yeah, and if anyone has an Alt Skids lying around (loose is fine)... I wouldn't mind snagging one for a kitbash idea. This is a lower priority for me compared with the yellowed Transformer, but I thought I would put my feelers out anyway.

BadJeff
11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Jourdo,
None of my TF's have really had any direct sun exposure (except on the car ride home....) but I do have someone that fits your requirements.
http://www.toyrocket.com/The-Tick-Series-1-Fluttering-Arthur-Action-Figure-P38303C2093.aspx?UserID=3724410&SessionID=y6orpSAjhjyjkkl12ZUe
I've got no problem letting you experiment on my Arthur figure. Wings are still white but his body is more yellow than a 2-pk/day smoker. The above link says he was released in 2006 but my figure is completly identical bought some time around 1992ish and he has seen plenty of sun.
It's no transformer but you can experiment on him all you want, n/c.

Pascal
11-30-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a Spay-C (Gobots) that would be perfect for your experiment. The white is all yellow now. Free if you pay for the shipping!

Dark Rage
11-30-2007, 04:08 PM
You're going to sand off the plastic, aren't you?

AFAIK, that's the only way.

FreedomGundam
11-30-2007, 04:15 PM
I've got an extra Alt Skids lying around. MIB, taken out once. PM me if you're interested. :)

BadJeff
11-30-2007, 07:35 PM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8303/arthurcx0.jpg
How's this for yellow plastic?
Legs/arms/wings seem to have a UV inhibitor but the body sure doesn't.

Did I mention he transforms into the Tick's trusty sidekick:p

If I had any type of photoshop in this laptop I would insert some smartass joke about his hand/arm positions.....

Batman
12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8303/arthurcx0.jpg
How's this for yellow plastic?
Legs/arms/wings seem to have a UV inhibitor but the body sure doesn't.

Did I mention he transforms into the Tick's trusty sidekick:p

If I had any type of photoshop in this laptop I would insert some smartass joke about his hand/arm positions.....

I think with the Tick series of figures it has something to do with the batch of plastic used. I know some of my figures (Talking Tick, The Tick that thorws the stop sign) have discoloured parts on certain parts of the figure, like the back panel of the torso, crotch piece etc. It has something to do with the disintegration of the plastic. I read an article about it. It was why many Super Nintendo systems had a yellowed top half and normal grey bottom. If you take the piece off, you will see it probably goes all the way through, and is on both sides of the piece, even though the other side was never exposed to anything. It is not the same as Sun damage and Soiling (dirt, smoke etc.).

lars573
12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I have a go-Bot ResQ that is yellow as hell.

Echotransformer
12-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Great to see you doing this...

Another toyline that was really prone to this was Starcom...they were a spaceship/action figure line from Coleco around 1986-1988. Many of the white ships yellowed badly.

About a year ago restored a very yellow Starcom Sixshooter...I should have taken before and after pictures because the difference was amazing.

Then a couple of months ago a Ramjet I won on Ebay arrived a little yellower than what appeared in the pictures...so I took him apart and performed the same treatment I did on the six-shooter and it worked!

Any ways it's a lot of work but depending on the shape of the parts you are trying to restore and the depth of the yellowing, the results can be near-new.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Cheers,

Echo