PDA

View Full Version : Self Check outs...yay or nay?

Team Jetfire
11-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Self check outs are everywhere now.
Safeway, Superstore, Wal-mart, Zellers and even Home Depot.

Do you use them, is it a good idea, can you ever complete a transaction without the stupid thing requiring assistance....

I for one like it. I don't miss the 'personal touch' that the 14 year cashier provides and I am pretty good at it.

How about you?

GMfan
11-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Nay, I don't see the point in giving myself more work and having computers take away yet another job from people that may need them.

BadJeff
11-29-2007, 06:27 PM
When I have items that are common and I'm sure they will scan fine I think they're great but otherwise they piss me off. Probably 80% of the time I end up needing assistance because something won't scan properly or the retarded system doesn't understand that I won't be placing the 20kg bags of water softener salt in a bag beside the unit so the scale can do weight check to verify my purchase.
If there's an available cashier and self checkout, I'll go to the cashier everytime

beatrush
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
they are great as an express checkout but if I have more than 6 things, I go to a cashier.

As mentioned, they arent exactly the most user friendly at times.

Code of Honor
11-29-2007, 06:50 PM
A big NAY from me. Just yesterday I spent 15 minutes in a slow as death cashier line at Wal-Mart because I can't stand self-check outs. What I don't like about them is that they don't work the they you think they would, and each store has a different system. I especially don't like the one's at Home Depot because they talk back to you, until machines can mimic a real human voice please don't use it. I also agree with GMfan101 points.

Team Jetfire
11-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that these were so frowned upon.

I agree with a lot of people, but if it will get me out of Wal Mart quicker, then I am good with it.

I had a guy tell me that I should go work as a cashier because I was that quick, not sure if that was a complement, but...

One thing I don't like about it is the constant delays caused by the weight checking of the UPC not working...

It also doesn’t work when people role up with a cart full of stuff. You also don’t get the annoying stares or awkward conversation while buying TFs or other toys….

Cashier = ‘Is this for you?’
Me= ‘yeah’
Cashier = ‘they are making a movie you know’
Me = ‘yeah’
Cashier = ‘Are these Twinkles for your lunch’
Me= **Sigh** ‘yeah….’

GMfan
11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't really care about what people I will probably never see again think of me.

soundwaveCA
11-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I dont like them, but mostly because they are a pain to use and watching retarded people in front of you trying to use them is even worse.

Dark Rage
11-29-2007, 10:02 PM
There aren't any in the downtown area (that I know of or visit), except one maybe, but theft can easily happen, especially during busy periods at rush hour.

I don't mind either, whichever helps me make the transaction quicker. In which, self-check ones can.

I think we'll be seeing more of these, in perhaps the next decade or so, since the companies like it (saves labour), and younger people can favour it more, or just adapt to it.

QuadESL63
11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
For a couple of items, yes, I will use them but for a cart full of things I'd just line up for a cashier.

The weight detection thing is flawed since it will scream if you don't put the darn things you have scanned onto the scale. However, it doesn't make sense to put, say, a box of 8kg cat litter or a big box (e.g. Lego Star Destroyer which doesn't even fit the machine that Walmart has) on it after you have scanned it. On the plus side, staffs @ Walmart is pretty good at just acknowledge the machine w/o any hassle in such cases.

Hook
11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
but mostly because they are a pain to use and watching retarded people in front of you trying to use them is even worse.

Bingo!

Nocturn
11-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Cashier = ‘Is this for you?’
Me= ‘yeah’
Cashier = ‘they are making a movie you know’
Me = ‘yeah’
Cashier = ‘Are these Twinkles for your lunch’
Me= **Sigh** ‘yeah….’

You forgot:
Cashier: "Is this a gift for someone?"
Us: No.

Or Yeah, depending on how big of a weasel you are.

Robimus
11-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Nay, hate them. Stores already have bad enough service without making it more difficult to talk to a living person. I do want to check out the talking ones at Home Depot though, just for a laugh.:D

Nightscrabbler
11-30-2007, 01:30 AM
I like them. They're still fairly new, in time, the technology and the people using it will improve. I find most stores are shortstaffed at the cash anyway, so might as well just replace these positions with machines where possible.

jourdo
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm a yay when it is one or two items and there is not a long line-up at them... or when I'm spending a bunch of loose change ($90 worth of loonies, twoonies, and quarters FTW!).

However, I find these work less often than not and I tend to go to a cashier for the bulk of items. So, overall a nay.

If they get them working properly... yay all the way.

Dangard Ace
12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Yay when there are competent and low items users using them. (in and out of Superstore in ~10mins)

Nay when retards who can't read, can't scan and can't weigh items decide to take their full carts to the self checkouts and slow up the 5-7 people with only 1-6 items trying to get out of the store quickly.(+15mins waiting in line last wednesday. Wasted a chunk of my lunch time). It was faster going to the cashier...where these slow-asses should've been.

Sokar
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
I prefer to use them. Generally they're a lot faster to use I find than running through the cashier. Generally I don't have a full cart of stuff, so it's easy to fire through the system and free up the register for the next person.

The biggest reason I prefer them though is there's no chance of a cashier bashing the shit out of what I'm buying trying to get it into the bag.

There are some good cashiers of course, but for what they get paid, and what they put up with, most don't care. Especially when it comes to toys it seems.

I remember one at TRU 2 years ago who bashed around the box so much I told them to forget the purchase all together and walked right out of the store.

Granted, self scan has it's issues, but they are generally avoidable, so I'll stick to them for my toy purchases at least

borihazard
12-03-2007, 05:09 AM
haha when i saw the title i thought it was talking about checking ourselves out in the mirror or somthing! i think its normal ..=D hehe
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

Mumps
12-03-2007, 05:33 AM
I always use the self checkouts. So much faster, and less hassle. Though it's annoying when nobody using them knows what they are doing, and it takes them forever to scan 3 items.

Though one time, this one family was in the self checkout, they had 2 carts full of groceries! AND they couldn't work the damn thing! I walked up behind them and told them they were using my time, and everybody elses, that they had too much stuff, and that the nice thing to do was to go to the cashier. They just looked at me, and continued doing their thing.
An employee went up to them and said the same thing, she got the same responce. If I were the employee, I would have walked up to the computer, and shut that machine off. Or called a manager.

lars573
12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Nay, I don't see the point in giving myself more work and having computers take away yet another job from people that may need them.
It's probably different in Ontario but.. Here in NS the rare big box stores that do have self checks don't take away anyones job. Quite the opposite, it adds jobs. My local Superstore added self checks without removing a single regular checkout. The new Wal-Marts (the only ones that have them) have the same number of regular checkouts that the older ones without self-checks do. And those are the only stores that have selfs checks. All the Zellers stores are too small to bother and I haven't been in the new Home Depot yet so I can't say whether it does or not.

Team Jetfire
12-03-2007, 02:53 PM
The biggest reason I prefer them though is there's no chance of a cashier bashing the shit out of what I'm buying trying to get it into the bag.

There are some good cashiers of course, but for what they get paid, and what they put up with, most don't care. Especially when it comes to toys it seems.

I remember one at TRU 2 years ago who bashed around the box so much I told them to forget the purchase all together and walked right out of the store.

Granted, self scan has it's issues, but they are generally avoidable, so I'll stick to them for my toy purchases at least

That is a great point. For toys, as well as other food stuff too. Last thing I want when buying food is some 15 year old breaking all my chips and smushing my tomatos.

haha when i saw the title i thought it was talking about checking ourselves out in the mirror or somthing! i think its normal ..=D hehe

lol!

cannabisprime
12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Self-checkouts are great at places like TRU where everything is more or less boxed up already. I can't stand using them in grocery stores especially when dealing with items like produce and bulk items.

...that and flirting with a cashier is better..

CobraCommander
12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I like them, so far good experience with Wallymarts and Loblaws machines, but as mentioned I only use them with low quantity purchases.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
12-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Nay. Everytime i've used one of these things it's needed cashier assistance. Either i'm Stupid or the machine is. I dislike both answers.

Cobra Zartan
12-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I dont like them, but mostly because they are a pain to use and watching retarded people in front of you trying to use them is even worse.
QFT

Usually the morons also bring cartloads of crap to the self checkouts :mad:

SPLIT LIP
12-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Half yay, half nay.

They're pretty simple to use and usually don't require assistance, but I agree that the extra work is inconvienient and job loss is an issue. However I also don't miss the peanut gallery comentary on my purchases. I've never had issues with them, but when you buy something too big, it sucks having to wait for the cashier to come and scan your case and give you that little fucking sticker. I hate those little fucking stickers.

Fuck lady, let my buy my shit and leave, I don't have to tell you my whole life story.

GMfan
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
This is why I pick my cashiers carefully...try picking the youngest or most digruntled one and they want to be rid of you as quickly as you want to get out of there! :P

RandomFerret
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Nay, I don't see the point in giving myself more work and having computers take away yet another job from people that may need them.You'd rather take the jobs away from the hundreds of people working in factories that manufacture the machines?

Team Jetfire
12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
You'd rather take the jobs away from the hundreds of people working in factories that manufacture the machines?

lol

on another note, I just saw one of the 'can't figure out how to use the machine, and I have a cart full of crap and I am getting extreamly frusterated' customer in walmart the other night...man was that painfull to watch.

chaingunsofdoom
12-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Visited one of our 24-hour WMs early this morning... 6 cashiers open, 0 self-checkouts. I guess the machines needed a rest. :)

Mumps
12-20-2007, 03:11 AM
I was with a friend at Zellers, and he couldn't use the machine at ALL. *cry*

tilallr1
12-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Great for a few items but horrible for more than a dozen items. Really designed as an express line. But lets be honest, 2 out of 3 times you will need some sort of assistance if you have more than 5 items to scan. Which sucks.

I am still waiting for the new ultra cool scan system that automatically scans your whole cart as you leave the store and accesses your imbedded chip to bill you. Zero wait time.

It will happen.:D

EnragedCoconut
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
I love them. I never worked as a cashier growing up so get a kick out of scanning things..... :)

EC

Autovolt 127
12-22-2007, 08:38 AM
I'l miss saying Nice wheater and casual talk.