PDA

View Full Version : need help from USA to receive mail packages, store, and bring to TFcon

RavageX-9
11-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Hello.

I'm looking for someone who goes to TransformersCon (by driving), lives in the USA , has references of some kind*, has a bit of free space to store some packages, and can easily take them to the convention.
*: sufficient reassurance that you can be trusted with things of some value.

As reward, I can offer a small cash tip based on the amount of storage space, keep an eye out for a few things on your wanted list, and give you access to the official TF club store so you can buy previous year's freebies, club store exclusives, or leftover souvenir exclusive sets and convention exclusives.

Please let me know details like the following two:
whether you smoke. (since it will be exposed to it for quite a few months.)
what limits you want to place on space/weight/number of packages/etc.

Now a little about me.

The reason I'm doing this is mostly because in many cases I HAVE no alternative. Many rare items (such as Sam's Club yellow repaint of RID Optimus Prime) are just never available to anyone but US bidders on eBay.
Although sometimes it's just insanely more expensive. UPS and FedEx routinely charge extra fees based on the value of packages, and combine all this with the regular taxes we pay to import goods. No, it's not illegal tax evasion. There are legal limits to duty-free amounts. It's honestly never an issue except for businesses and sending things by mail. Last time I came back with my mom and I claimed I was bringing something like $600 worth of toys back, which I think regardless of what number I'm remembering, was $100 over my limit. I guess it's just not worth the paperwork for $15 of taxes.

I personally have references on eBay
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=game_hunter (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=1693881&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI .dll%3FViewUserPage%26userid%3Dgame_hunter)
88 all positive feedback, 16 of which I got as a seller. I don't sell that much, or that often.

I'm a recent regular to TF conventions, including TFCon since '06, OTFCC '03 & '04 (what BotCon became and used to be), and BotCon '06, '07, and '08. missed '05 completely. I volunteered at BotCon the past two years.
I'm also a regular of the AllSpark forums. (for over 5 years)

Robimus
11-23-2007, 02:36 AM
I dont think that many folks in Canada live in the USA :p . Yeah, I'm being cheeky.:D

RavageX-9
11-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I dont think that many folks in Canada live in the USA :p . Yeah, I'm being cheeky.:D
Man, I picked a bad way to word my threat title... "distributor" sounds so business-like... the whole thing is non-profit. I'm looking to import things for my own collection.

And unfortunately, it looks like you can't edit the thread titles after you post, and you can't delete posts. Messy.

I have a friend on another forum who seems to be willing to help me out a bit, but since he replied to a similar request without volunteering to fill all my requests, I'm not going to push it with him.

JLvatron
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
And unfortunately, it looks like you can't edit the thread titles after you post, and you can't delete posts.

Try clicking edit, then hit the "Advanced" button to edit the title.

Dark Rage
11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
You can always make friends from the US on the message boards.

I don't think many people have that much space in their homes, and I don't know how much yo ucan possibly be importing to Canada, I mean maybe 2-3 of each item at most, you make it sound like you need a warehouse. You'll also have to pay taxes when importing items here, especially on such a large scale that you're mentioning. You can always get P.O. Box, but I know that most online retailers don't accept them as addresses anymore.

From what I've heard here though, the Allspark forums don't seem very trustworthy, since more than one person here has been scammed by members there, could be poor rules and enforcement there.

RavageX-9
12-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Try clicking edit, then hit the "Advanced" button to edit the title.

I tried that in my carpool thread in this forum and it edited it in the page for just the one thread, but not in the list of thread titles of the forum. (I added "(Ottawa)" to it)

You can always make friends from the US on the message boards.

I'm not too good at that, but that's a good idea. Actually, that's what they tell me for everything from convention roommates to carpooling. ... well, at least I've been able to get roommates in the past. I didn't make friends before I got roommates, but I got them... :S

I don't think many people have that much space in their homes, and I don't know how much you can possibly be importing to Canada, I mean maybe 2-3 of each item at most, you make it sound like you need a warehouse.

... what? No. I already described how much stuff I've ordered in the past. A TV box. The box that TVs come in. (TVs vary in size, but the point is it's big.) One year I went a bit nuts and made one order from BBTS and one order from ActionHQ on top of a few auctions and such.
I don't even understand what you mean by 2-3 of each item. from what set is that selection, because I have no idea what number that is.

You'll also have to pay taxes when importing items here, especially on such a large scale that you're mentioning. You can always get P.O. Box, but I know that most online retailers don't accept them as addresses anymore.

There's no tax on gifts and other items you've bought, below a certain value based on the length of your trip. I think for a couple days you can easily import $100 worth of stuff. I don't remember specifically.
PO Boxes seem pretty useless. They're small (from the descriptions) and horribly expensive. I'm not sure who the hell uses them except rich people.

From what I've heard here though, the Allspark forums don't seem very trustworthy, since more than one person here has been scammed by members there, could be poor rules and enforcement there.

K, well... I have eBay feedback, and I'm not really the one that needs to provide references. I was also giving a little bit of background info about myself.

Stormrave
03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Just a note on the Allspark forums:

The Allspark buy-sell-trade forum is a service to put buyers and sellers in touch. The Allspark isn't responsible for the honesty or dishonesty of buyers or sellers. There is a stickied thread right at the top of the buy/sell/trade forums. People who buy/sell/trade through the forums do so at their own risk.

The Allspark will ban people proven to be rip-off artists, IF it is brought to the attention of staff and IF they are proven to be scamming people. So, if anyone has a problem with someone at the Allspark ripping them off, PM the staff. Mods don't have psychic powers.

I want to point out that it is not the Allspark staff who are ripping people off, nor do I know of any proven scammers who are permitted to hang around scamming people.

BadJeff
03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Mods don't have psychic powers.

Ours do:D That's why i've had my head wrapped in tinfoil for the last year.... helps keep them and the government out of my head.;)

dak
03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
tell me what you want the thread to be titled, and I can change it.

JLvatron
03-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Ours do:D That's why i've had my head wrapped in tinfoil for the last year.... helps keep them and the government out of my head.;)

Really? I thought it was a futuristic bandana and you were just an alien. :D

RavageX-9
06-10-2008, 05:00 AM
I'm still looking for someone from the USA who can help me.

I'm currently desperate for some help, as there's currently some exclusives I want to get lined up.

uhm... as to what I want the title changed to...
"need help from USA to receive mail packages, store, and bring to TFcon"
does that fit?