PDA

View Full Version : A review of BH Ultimate Prime and Predaking

joshimus
06-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I'll probably post pics a little later but for now here's my thoughts on these 2 figures.

Predaking:
Having the voyager figure and disliking it a fair bit, I was looking forward to what the Ultimate Predaking would be like. I like the size for one and while it isn't perfect, I very much like this figure.
http://i.imgur.com/bpkIcws.jpg?1

Dragon mode is sort of similar to the voyager but actually less complex. Some of the back leg articulation is lost due to the new transformation.
http://i.imgur.com/jbnB5w9.jpg?1
Looks wise, I really do like this dragon. The neck gimmick lever could be a bit smaller and fit the overall aesthetics better, but for now, whatever. The feature itself is a nice gimmick but I would have prefered a more articulated neck. The light up gimmick however looks really nice in the dark (as posted by me on the TF Photo thread) The wingspan is pretty impressive and adds to the look. I'm not so huge a fan of how the wings clip on (each side also stores the AA battery) but that is a minor gripe.
http://i.imgur.com/73OFf4C.jpg?1
Could use a bit more silver paint apps for the dragon face which eventually I will get to.
Overall I would rate the dragon mode a solid 4/5

Robot mode:
http://i.imgur.com/gsvvTi4.jpg?1
WOW! I really dig this guys bot mode. FAR better than the voyager and the wings hold better as well (or at least for me) It's impressive, it's imposing, it's very friggin nice. The light up feature is also really nice especially in the dark (button on right shoulder) Some gripes from me would be how basic the transformation is, which seems to be a standard with large figures these days. I dislike the dragon head, head and neck, is just rotated behind the back. Not nearly as well done as the voyager, but a minor gripe none the less.
http://i.imgur.com/O1jc5Er.jpg?1
His tail becomes his sword and it is pretty massive. I do like it plus I like how they have his claw hands hold the sword. It's a smart fit. Robot mode is an easy 4.5/5 Few gripes, but overall really impressive
p.s. he sort of has BW Dinobot hands ;) Not that it was inspired, but nice none the less

Aside from the basic transformation, his robot mode is impressive and his dragon mode looks great. As a whole, I recommend this figure. Also, his guns are nothing special so I didn't really bother with them.
I paid retail but will keep an eye if it goes on sale. Worth the pickup in my opinion, full or sale price. I like this figure a lot. 4.5/5
http://i.imgur.com/OpiKOrI.jpg?1

Prime:
Okay, first and foremost, I collect Primes so I was going to get this no matter what. That said, not worth full price, maybe half price. Doesn't mean I hate it, just that for what it is, it's disappointing

Vehicle mode:
Is LARGE, almost playschool in design to be honest. It has large gaps that it shouldn't and the voyager is supremely better designed. However, he rolls really smooth :p
2/5 for this one
http://i.imgur.com/hcAEaR8.jpg

Transformation:
Might as well be a kids gobot for transformation. Severely basic and could have easily been something special had Hasbro gone with something less gimmicky and more design thought. While I do like how the front wheels connect to the legs, that's one neat thing in the whole transformation and it could have been done different
1/5 Such wasted potential
http://i.imgur.com/GVORXnk.jpg

Gimmick and weapons:
Before I go to robot mode, I want to talk about the weapons.
Sword and shield are neat but it feels aesthetically wrong with them attached in vehicle mode. I would have prefered 2 swords or some sort...or none.
The wheel gimmick is imo a friggin waste and what harms this figure the most. While it does work well and I admit it is neat, still just a waste. I certainly plan on removing it. This is really where all the lost potential for a better figure hurt it. Hasbro put too much stock into this gimmick that it hurt the transformation as well as as the pricetag.
0/10 that's how much I dislike it
http://i.imgur.com/WiHxG0f.jpg

Robot mode:
I will be honest, he is really imposing here and I do like it. Much like the voyager, the arms snapping into the mirrors on the chest doesn't hold so well. They could have done something smarter for a better hold.
http://i.imgur.com/ONZPepG.jpg
Go move the arm and now his shoulder is dislocated. Pretty annoying. I also dislike the amount of lost articulation. For example the feet. Reason why the feet are in some ways similar to the Weaponizer Prime as a molded part is due to the truck front wheel transformation. Yes, Hasbro needed space for those wheels to tuck in for robot mode and cut out feet articulation. Granted it really isn't a huge deal, he holds up pretty well, but it feels cheapened especially at the pricetag.
Also I would prefer his battle mask here too. I was annoyed with the voyager having his mouth but I assumed the U. Prime would correct that...but nope. Minor gripe though.
Another thing I dislike is the green light up and chest. Again, like the voyager, instead of going for blue they went green which blows. It makes his robot eyes light up seem like a waste. I mean if it was blue, hells yeah, but green?! I can deal with a green chest but why the eyes?
Anyway, his arm articulation seems decent but is limited which kind of sucks.
3/5

To be honest, I most certainly will take advantage of the price correction when that comes around, even if it means buying the figure on sale and returning it with the old receipt. As a Prime collector, I am okay with this figure but honestly, don't buy it on full price. If you can chance clearance, go for it. I am planning on modifying him a fair bit so for me that's okay but if you don't paint or mod your toys, don't waste your money on this guy.

Also, a semi-spoiler with regards to Primes story in the instructions:

Possible spoiler. I think UM dies but I wish I knew how to block out the name properly. Anyway, reading the story, if similar to the show, seems a likely outcome. If not then nevermind.

I will add pics at some point, maybe a bit later tonight.
hope you enjoyed the review.

Pascal
06-08-2013, 10:15 PM
1/5 for transformation? It's just as complex as the Voyager. I take it you hate the Voyager version as well? Both toys are pretty much identical, except they traded the wings for the ring of doom.

joshimus
06-08-2013, 10:23 PM
1/5 for transformation? It's just as complex as the Voyager. I take it you hate the Voyager version as well? Both toys are pretty much identical, except they traded the wings for the ring of doom.
It is similar to the transformation of the voyager but I prefer how the front wheels attach to the back on the voyager. I like the voyager as a whole better and it is cleaner in truck mode, not much cleaner, but still better imo. I just think for the size of this figure his transformation could have been more interesting. Similar to the voyager, yes, but why? There is more space to work with. It feels more like Tonka than the voyager one does.

Pascal
06-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Voyager is cleaner only because they cheated and used the wings to cover up the messy-lazy rear end...

joshimus
06-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Voyager is cleaner only because they cheated and used the wings to cover up the messy-lazy rear end...
Yes but also because the wheels in the front have more parts to hide the torso. The arm issue is the same but when you compare the front part of the cab, U. Prime's got more gaps that the voyager has closed off. You are right, they are similar in stupidity, but the problem for me is that for the size and price, it should be more hidden.

Pascal
06-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Remember Animated Supreme Optimus Prime? I think both toys are somewhat similar in their intent. Big, simple and gimmicky. For kids.

What Beast Hunters needs is a true Leader class version of Optimus Prime... That's where we get the detailing and complexity.

joshimus
06-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Remember Animated Supreme Optimus Prime? I think both toys are somewhat similar in their intent. Big, simple and gimmicky. For kids.

What Beast Hunters needs is a true Leader class version of Optimus Prime... That's where we get the detailing and complexity.
Yeah that would be nice. Still waiting for that never gonna happen DOTM Leader Megatron. So won't hold my breath
This is more of what I meant.
U. Prime on the left with Voyager on the right
http://i.imgur.com/Jju8tEs.jpg
I keep hoping I am doing something wrong but I cannot understand that large gap.

chans formers
06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
thanks for the review.
unfortuantely,i'm a prime lover/collector so i'm still going to get this bigger more hollow version of him.
he's got a spot picked out on the shelf already to be stored misb right beside the giant animated prime and powerbots primes.

xueyue2
06-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your very detailed review. I already own Predaking, it is a nice one.
And after reading your review, I decide won't even pay half price for the Ultimate Prime, after all, even half price is still $35.

Pascal
06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I prefer Prime over Predaking, since Predaking barely transforms and has boring gimmicks. Predaking's biggest feature is looking good.

xueyue2
06-09-2013, 10:33 PM
I prefer Prime over Predaking, since Predaking barely transforms and has boring gimmicks. Predaking's biggest feature is looking good.

How many primes we have? I don't need another bad looking expensive prime in my collection. While cool looking super size dragon, I would love to have, that's my reason.

ohnaji
06-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Picked up both figures recently, and I'm enjoying them. Ult. Predaking is definitely an improvement over it's voyager incarnation, even with a more simplistic transformation. Wings are impressive but they do tend to pop off for me when I adjust them. Always appreciate ankle rockers, but I just wish it had more up and down movement as it's very slight.
I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having with that massive goofy Tonka-toy like Optimus. The rounded edges on this figure really makes this thing more dynamic especially for heroic battle ready poses and it's sheer massiveness is impressive. I like the interesting turret gimmick but those missiles it comes packed with are terrible. I wish it had some sort of ankle articulation though.
Just in case Ult. Optimus owners didn't know, the lever activating the turret in robot mold can be flipped all the way down in vehicle mode. It's a little thing but it does improve truck mode slightly.

justprime
06-10-2013, 06:16 AM
ALL I can say as I have picked them both up as well, was that prime felt like really cheap ko plastic in paticular the wheels and could have stood more paint apps

Pascal
06-10-2013, 08:29 AM
How many primes we have?

Never enough for me.

:D

Pascal
06-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Just in case Ult. Optimus owners didn't know, the lever activating the turret in robot mold can be flipped all the way down in vehicle mode. It's a little thing but it does improve truck mode slightly.

Awesome find, I didn't like how he had two sets of claws in truck mode!!!!

joshimus
06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
For me, there is something about Ultimate Predaking I love. Sure he's really at the end of the day nothing special, but he looks really good in both modes and that really is enough for me. Granted I fully plan on customizing him once I actually have free time...which I don't have until maybe Monday...which is not exaggerating either.
On my projects list, U Prime, U Predaking and finally found a second Prid Rumble to Frenzify.