PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Transformers Prime season 2

FEZaid
11-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi all,

it’s been around awhile now since the last episode (Darkest Hour) of Transformers Prime season 2 aired: November 2nd, 2012 (So far not on Teletoon just yet).

What are your thoughts?

My opinion is: If you are familiar with anime, there are some shows that have no real goals in the story, so the viewers are a 'big brother', just stalking the character(s) on what they are up to. The character(s) might be invested into something that eventually gets accomplished or fixed but doesn't do anything to the stories progression, later ending on a happy note (This is an anime genre called ‘Slice of Life’). That’s how I felt about Season 2.

Not to say the season was a total waste, it definitely had potential that just didn’t get exposed. I had fun watching it: animation is great, love the art style, choreography of the fights are amazing. The first season made it to be taking itself seriously and was going on the right path, it seemed like the writers lost their motivation and just did their best to wrap up the season. We have to remember that this is a show targeting children, my brother sure loved it and watched some episodes multiple times (So do I).

This is like Animated: the first season was ok, second season just didn't really do much, lets hope Prime Season 3 will be like Animated's.

Exited for Beast Hunters!!!! Estimated release is Spring 2013, since during that time they will release the figures.

Bountyan
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
It was disappointing. So much wasted potential.

Unicron? Never mentioned again. Lame.
Orion Pax? Resolved too quickly + had no effect on Optimus' character. Only led to more boring relic hunts. Lame.
Insecticons? Reduced to more cannon fodder. Lame.
MECH? Killed off in one episode after tons of build up. Double lame because it also wasted Breakdown's death.
The Nemesis comes to life? Barely explained and resolved within the same episode. Lame.
Bulkhead is injured and may never be the same again? OH LOOK, he's perfectly back to normal within 3 episodes! Lame.
Dreadwing's character? He barely did shit for the entire season and he got killed off too quickly. Lame.

Plus throw in the two clip shows, and most of the Autobots being as exciting as a sack of potatoes, the relics they wasted the season retrieving getting lost/destroyed, and you've got yourself a pretty bad season.

brr-icy
11-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Wasted potential. And rather dull

Matrix_Holder
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
^ Totally this. 'nuff said.

GMfan
11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
It's the same as season one. Over the top action and beautiful CG masking poor storylines, characterization, and dialogue. Not to mention the overall unoriginal nature of the show just rehashing everything from previous series in one difficult to comprehend amalgam universe.

I'm glad there are people who enjoy the show though, only means the brand is still captivating someone somewhere, but for me compared to all the other fiction I've seen in the franchise, this one has done nothing new to entice me or really anything incredibly interesting and makes me excited for each new episode.

Don't get me wrong, I like the designs and the figures that accompany the show, hence why I collect them, but the show itself is just a colossal mess across the board.

Hellboy
11-20-2012, 03:16 PM
I feel like TF Prime has the same flaws as Beast Wars did... characters were there but not a lot of good story telling. For me Beasties brought that story arch to life in a way that TF Prime needs to find. Unfortunately I have little interest in the direction Season 3 is supposed to be heading... I don't want to go back to the beast machines.

Tonestar
11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if Season 2 has hit Canadian retail yet ? I know on Amazon.ca/com it is available but I haven't seen it anywhere here in stores and the Canadian websites have no list of it yet either. Perhaps they're waiting for Teletoon to finish airing all the episodes ???? It is all so weird.

Pascal
11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I preferred the dramatic transforming and combining sequences of Energon.

:)

Mumps
11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I enjoyed it. The story was extremely flawed and that was a disappointment. However, what I did enjoy was the visuals, the fight scenes, and the voice acting (Knockout and Ratchet mostly).

So, it was disappointing, but I still had fun.

ThePendulum
11-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like the designs and the figures that accompany the show, hence why I collect them, but the show itself is just a colossal mess across the board.

Ditto that good sir.

It was disappointing. So much wasted potential.

Unicron? Never mentioned again. Lame.
Orion Pax? Resolved too quickly + had no effect on Optimus' character. Only led to more boring relic hunts. Lame.
Insecticons? Reduced to more cannon fodder. Lame.
MECH? Killed off in one episode after tons of build up. Double lame because it also wasted Breakdown's death.
The Nemesis comes to life? Barely explained and resolved within the same episode. Lame.
Bulkhead is injured and may never be the same again? OH LOOK, he's perfectly back to normal within 3 episodes! Lame.
Dreadwing's character? He barely did shit for the entire season and he got killed off too quickly. Lame.

Plus throw in the two clip shows, and most of the Autobots being as exciting as a sack of potatoes, the relics they wasted the season retrieving getting lost/destroyed, and you've got yourself a pretty bad season.

Yes ! Exactly what I was thinking. Too many speedy resolutions in Season Two ! WTH ?!

Remember how they said that Miko was to become a darker, more mature character ? That didn't even happen !

I preferred the dramatic transforming and combining sequences of Energon.
:)

......................sir please. Just no.

For my own input, I think Season One was an ok beginning, until we hit Unicron. Then everything went downhill, while television sci-fi antics went up.

There are barely any consequences worth noting for the Autobots, see Bulkhead and Tox-En, Optimus regains his memory after three immediate episodes, Arachnid's defeat doesn't prove too much of a problem since Arcee essentially gave Megatron a huge boost in soldiers, Miko doesn't get targeted for killing Hardshell and Raf got moved by Fowler (inconsistencies), etc.

The dialogue is ok, but really can be much better. Everyone most of the time sound like the cast from Star Wars the prequel trilogy. Everyone's pretty dull in character.

Heck, I ended up liking Adventure Time over this !

so yea, I agree that TF Prime is pretty much wasted potential. Sincerely hope they improve in Season Three

Jove
11-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I'll be blunt: I have no idea what show you people are watching.

Beast Wars was good - for a cartoon aimed at selling kids toys.

Prime is better - for a cartoon show aimed at selling kids toys.

I suffered through the unicron trilogy. I kept hoping that that things would get better. For me, the unicron trilogy is everything that is wrong with anime. I'm old enough to remember when Robotech was on TV. That was good anime.

TF animated had the horrific (to me) Teen-titan thing going on. I couldn't get past the look of it. But the show was MUCH better than the previous - for a show aimed at selling kids toys.

For me, Prime is better than the previous cartoons.

I'll disagree that because the episodes in Prime don't all move the overall story forward that they are "slice of life" or "throwaway" episodes.

The show has serious flaws. It is, after all, a cartoon made to sell toys to kids.

The episodes are supposed to be cool enough to get kids/parents to buy the toys, and for me, they have done that better than any TF show in the last 15 years.

alternatorfan
11-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I'll be blunt: I have no idea what show you people are watching.

Beast Wars was good - for a cartoon aimed at selling kids toys.

Prime is better - for a cartoon show aimed at selling kids toys.

I suffered through the unicron trilogy. I kept hoping that that things would get better. For me, the unicron trilogy is everything that is wrong with anime. I'm old enough to remember when Robotech was on TV. That was good anime.

TF animated had the horrific (to me) Teen-titan thing going on. I couldn't get past the look of it. But the show was MUCH better than the previous - for a show aimed at selling kids toys.

For me, Prime is better than the previous cartoons.

I'll disagree that because the episodes in Prime don't all move the overall story forward that they are "slice of life" or "throwaway" episodes.

The show has serious flaws. It is, after all, a cartoon made to sell toys to kids.

The episodes are supposed to be cool enough to get kids/parents to buy the toys, and for me, they have done that better than any TF show in the last 15 years.

true enough! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sleeper323
11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
i think you guys read way to much into it.
the animation is awesome
the storyline although having some shortcuts is great for a show which is only an hour long
i enjoyed season 2 and i'm worried the beast hunters idea is going to screw it all up. (the toy images i've seen for beast hunters suck)

Jove
11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
i think you guys read way to much into it.
the animation is awesome
the storyline although having some shortcuts is great for a show which is only an hour long
i enjoyed season 2 and i'm worried the beast hunters idea is going to screw it all up. (the toy images i've seen for beast hunters suck)

True, beast hunters toys we have seen thus far suffer from some severe suckage.

Dynamo.Dave
11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I enjoyed it for what it was - it's a kid show with some good voice acting.
I don't like the 'remember the past montage' episodes - it's a cop-out.
The Orion Pax story arc was good. I don't think you could go the whole season without Optimus Prime.

Could use some more Shockwave flashbacks, or have him enter the present day somehow - that'd be cool

Larkhainan
11-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I feel like midway through season 2's development a decision was made from on high that season 3 would be "different". So instead of gradually resolving story threads the show suddenly took a turn towards getting everything wrapped up, then climaxing in such a way to set up a different style season 3. Which took what looked like interesting plot threads and just jumbled them into 9 episodes or so. Overall "jumbled" and "slightly off message" are probably how I'd describe season 2. Not the worst, not the best, decent enough to spend half an hour a week watching.