PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 65 - The Six Million Dollar Slag

GMfan
10-11-2012, 03:35 PM
This time around the the Slaggers get asked a bunch of listener questions and each member brings their own brand of insight on the fandom and toy line in an in depth roundtable discussion. Needless to say being in the Transformers community as long as these guys have been, the stories really unfold in this one!

Canadian Slag Episode 65 - The Six Million Dollar Slag (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2065%20-%20The%20Six%20Million%20Dollar%20Slag.mp3)
Host: Chris w/ Daniel, Ian, and Wendel
- Roundtable discussion on six listener questions:
- What different fan mindsets have you run into?
- Do any of you ascribe to any of these particular mindsets?
- Is there a TF line that you must have some of to be called a TF fan?
- Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have?
- Are third party items the Mazarati's of the TF world? Or do they even deserve to be referred to as TF's?
- If TF snobs bug you, what do you like to tell them when encountered in person?

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2065%20-%20The%20Six%20Million%20Dollar%20Slag.mp3)

FOLLOW CANADIAN SLAG ON TWITTER! (https://twitter.com/#%21/CanadianSlag)

Please e-mail any questions or topic ideas to canadianslag@gmail.com

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW! (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/cybertron.ca-canadian-transformers/id337471858?ign-mpt=uo%3D4)

Stapler
10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Pretty unique topics for this one guys. The only complaint I would have is no fault of yours just that the I was getting so into the topic that I wanted to chime in and be part of the conversation. :D

GMfan
10-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Who says you can't? Answer the questions in this thread!

OH...and to those wondering what I was talking about the GTA Mario game...

The Brothers Mario (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9oa_PiXAk) and The Brothers Mario 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7CKnfk4JY)

Protoman
10-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Pretty unique topics for this one guys. The only complaint I would have is no fault of yours just that the I was getting so into the topic that I wanted to chime in and be part of the conversation. :D

Everyone is welcome to post their own person replies.

skrilla 88
10-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Fun podcast as usual. I loved the Dr Smoov references at the beginning.

Do you guys ever try to one-up each other by purchasing stuff before the other or by buying some rare limited figure and taunting the other till he/her grows a deep seated hatred in their heart which manifests in the form of playful yet questionable threats?

Malwave
10-11-2012, 10:11 PM
I've mostly run into the general fan of all things TF, and there those who are particular to one continuity or another, so I guess I've been lucky?

I think I fit somewhere in the Beast Wars/BW2 group of the fandom. I have nothing against the other series, I enjoy them, but for some reason BW/BW2 just hits that sweet spot, ya know?

Without a doubt Classics/Universe/Generations. I will admit having at least 1 G1 toy does help, but I feel the Classics line - and its successors - are figures you have no excuse not to own given their availability in the last 5-6 years.

- Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have? Any Optimus Prime. Yes, I know this is a cop-out, but let's be fair here. He's the hallmark of the franchise; no matter what, if you asked someone what the first thing they think of when you say "Transformers" is, they'll probably say "that truck guy" or "Prime". More specifically, Classics or G1 Prime.

- Are third party items the Mazarati's of the TF world? Or do they even deserve to be referred to as TF's?
Anything that goes from one form to another is technically a "Transformer", so it's all about brand names imo. Technically they're Transformers, but they do so much more that I feel they are better suited in their own category.

- If TF snobs bug you, what do you like to tell them when encountered in person?
If you like something, good for you. Don't be a total prude about it to others though.

GMfan
10-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Do you guys ever try to one-up each other by purchasing stuff before the other or by buying some rare limited figure and taunting the other till he/her grows a deep seated hatred in their heart which manifests in the form of playful yet questionable threats?

Not really...we're all too laid back for that...and overall we typically don't go nuts to get the latest figures. For me personally that's kind of an over hyped vanity. If I want something I'll get it eventually, and I don't really care if someone else gets it first. That kind of jealousy is just stupid.

When it comes to rare stuff...I dunno...we all have our own rare figures. I got a bunch of rare Magnus shit Daniel doesn't have, Daniel has a bunch rare Hot Rod/Rodimus shit I don't have but it doesn't really effect us either way....though if I had something rare Hot Rod/Rodimus related that he didn't have yet I know Daniel may throw a fit :P

Jawz. D
10-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Fun podcast as usual. I loved the Dr Smoov references at the beginning.

At most, if one of use buys something before the other we usually share our pros and cons about the toy. It would be a more sharing of information than bragging rights.

If anything we brag about sales and deals we get. That's a whole other story or just check out ep 64.

Protoman
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
When it comes to rare stuff...I dunno...we all have our own rare figures. I got a bunch of rare Magnus shit Daniel doesn't have, Daniel has a bunch rare Hot Rod/Rodimus shit I don't have but it doesn't really effect us either way....though if I had something rare Hot Rod/Rodimus related that he didn't have yet I know Daniel may throw a fit :P

I agree. Sure a lot of the rare Ultra Magus stuff GMfan finds I would like to have too for my own personal collection, but I am happy for him and it goes to the right person, not to mention when he finds stuff I never knew existed.

Megatrons Cannon
10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
OH...and to those wondering what I was talking about the GTA Mario game...

The Brothers Mario (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9oa_PiXAk) and The Brothers Mario 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7CKnfk4JY)

I didnt know of the second one! Thanks.

GMfan
10-12-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree. Sure a lot of the rare Ultra Magus stuff GMfan finds I would like to have too for my own personal collection, but I am happy for him and it goes to the right person, not to mention when he finds stuff I never knew existed.

lol the fuckin magnet...but at least he was able to secure one for himself as well.

Which reminds me Daniel, I gotta show you my new pale and gloves :D

Cheers Ian
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Pale?

GMfan
10-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Pale?

Ya...the one you picked up...remember? Came with a lil shovel.

EDIT: ...fuckin grammar cop

PAIL!!!

I GOT A SHOVEL AND PAIL

Stapler
10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Who says you can't? Answer the questions in this thread!

I meant more along the lines that I felt like chiming in and giving my two cents but couldn't because I was listening to a recording. That type of thing. :P

Anyway...

Nothing too negative in person. I've seen all types online, though. I mostly run into casuals who have fond memories of G1 and/or BW.

I have a nostalgic and sentimental bias to G1 but I'm able to find something to appreciate in the other parts of the franchise and enjoy them for what they are. Do I like some more than others? Definitely. Do I hate any of them for not being G1 and/or BW? No.

I don't think there is any one line that you need some of to be considered a fan. The great thing of this franchise is that there's something out there for everyone. Everyone's tastes are different and even if a line could be considered the "best", it doesn't make it everyone's favorite by default and everyone is obligated to have something from it.

- Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have?

It depends IMO. G1 Optimus Prime if you want that toy to represent the beginning of the franchise. But really I say it should be a toy that represents your favorite iteration of a particular character.

I feel that it just depends on who you ask. I don't see them as anything stupendous. Some of the 3rd party is amazing, no question, but other than a rare occasion, 3rd party stuff just isn't for me. I'm happy enough with what Hasbro offers.

Do I consider them transformers? Well they're transformers but not transformers, you know? They aren't official so my brain kinda registers as their own thing.

Meh. After being on the internet thins long, snobs don't bother me too much. I've learned to just roll my eyes and ignore them or avoid them. But the person's personality plays a part, too. They could be a snob but still be a likable snob, you know?

I don't think I've ever run into a TF snob offline. I'm not the type to walk up to a stranger and start blathering about transformers. If someone bring it up than I'm happy to talk about them.

I try not to get hung up on folks that bug me anyway. Life is stressful enough, why worry about people like that? It's just not healthy.

secretcode
10-13-2012, 07:00 PM
What different fan mindsets have you run into?

There's the Geewunners, the Information Whores, the Unicron Trilogy fanatics, the movieverse dudes, the Fandom Vets, Prime fans who "QUIT THE SHOW FOREVER" every week but keep coming back every time a new episode aires... then there's the ones who like to write slashfiction about various characters... I've seen a little bit of everything.

Do any of you ascribe to any of these particular mindsets?

I try to remain open-minded with Transformers, but I highly disagree with many of the mindsets- namely the "G1 or nothing" crowd. If people like different eras of the fandom, how does that make them any less of a fan? I'm a Beast Wars kid, and until maybe 2003 or so, I wasn't even aware of Generation 1. Does it make me any less of a fan? I don't think so. Limiting yourself to one era or being close-minded about the different styles/sections of the brand really limits what you can enjoy from the brand. At least give other things a shot.

Is there a TF line that you must have some of to be called a TF fan?

No. Again, collect what you like. You aren't forced to have a certain toy or certain line to be an actual fan. Try everything at least once.

Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have?

Personally? Cybertron Optimus Prime.

Are third party items the Mazarati's of the TF world? Or do they even deserve to be referred to as TF's?

I'm probably going to catch some flak for this one, but I don't care at all about Third Party toys. A lot of them are REALLY cool toys, but none of them hit the sweet spot for me. Call me when a Third Party company does some new Beast Wars stuff, or make actually good versions of some Unicron Trilogy dudes. Slavish, super-accurate/articulate versions of G1 characters do nothing for me.

If TF snobs bug you, what do you like to tell them when encountered in person?

I usually just nod and shrug it off. People (especially nerds) can be stubborn as hell, and half the time it's not worth the argument to try to move them away from their very set ways.

As long as you are chill and easy-going in terms of what you like and not overly aggressive about what is "proper" or "canon" or "FOR TRUE FANS", you're fine with me.

Nightstalker
11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Just found out about your podcast. Going to download them all now so I have something to listen to on my 6 hour drive tomorrow!

GMfan
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Just found out about your podcast. Going to download them all now so I have something to listen to on my 6 hour drive tomorrow!

I don't even wanna think how many hours total we've recorded...probably over 160 hours total so I dunno if you wanna start RIGHT from the beginning. I'll warn ya, the earlier episodes we were still finding our groove...you may have to shuffle through some mud before ya get to the gold. :P

Protoman
11-02-2012, 01:18 AM

Haha I would listen backwards....... when the quality starts to disappear... you will know when you hit those early episodes when we didn't know what the HELL we were doing.