PDA

View Full Version : Fall of Cybertron

brr-icy
08-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Thoughts? I finished the campaign today (12 hrs of play without finding everything) pretty decent, some death and real darkness to the story, really enjoyed it Space T-rex is awesome to play as, tried one round of escalation, not sure about it yet, seems ok though

Vain
08-22-2012, 12:25 AM
I beat it as well.

I only have one major issue with it and the rest is minor nitpicks. The good stuff first.

The story was grand and great, I especially loved the last bit. The interaction amongst characters was really neat as well. Cliff and Jazz make a fun duo,etc.

There's so many homages, I couldn't get over how amazing they were. Multiplayer is still fun and addictive and the surprise decepticon Tank character made me quite happy in escalation.

My big issue in the game is the bloody sound. Sometimes the characters would sound super muffled. Sometimes the music is too high and I can't hear the characters at all, even with the music lowered within the in game options. Sometimes the lip sync would get all screwed up as well.

Now the minor stuff. I really don't understand why they gave some of their characters new colour palettes? Did Warpath need the extra gold detailing? Why's Jetfire mostly red now?

I also miss some of the multiplayer modes and I'm pretty disappointed that there's a ton of characters that you don't get a chance to play with in single player such as Perceptor. Day 1 dlc is pretty ridiculous too, especially considering Blastoff's model is already in the game as well as Perceptor's.

Here's the odd thing. Shockwave had his g1 voice in WFC, I'm really kind of curious as to why they changed it. It's still a really good voice for him and it's really quite good but I was really confused when I first heard him.

but all those nitpicks aside, the game really is phenomenal.

brr-icy
08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
tried out escalation in depth yesterday, the four maps are pretty fun, i just wish wave 15 wasn't the end, kinda hurts replay when you beat them (we beat 2/4 of them) but still have to beat them on hard. i think they should add more maps in the dlc though

joshimus
08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I loved the game, beat it in 7hrs (noon to just after 7pm). My only complaint is that it felt short. Not so much that the levels were short as I actually enjoyed the length of each players levels but I didn't expect to beat the game as quick as I did.
That said. I really did enjoy the game. Controls were pretty good and making different bots do different things helped gameplay feel less generic. Grimlock was fun to play as.
Haven't tried Multiplayer yet but I plan to when I have time.

Sureshot22
08-23-2012, 03:29 PM
loving it so far as i knew i would. but thinking back to the war for cybertron. each faction had about 10 levels didnt they?

cant remember off the top of my head but this one has what 12 lvls total?

really sucks they made it a lot shorter, but its still a great game so far.

racerguy76
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Haven't picked it up yet. $60 is a bit much for 7-10 hours gameplay. Another thing that bothers me that seems to be more and more common these days is announcing dlc for a game that was released a day ago. It's like gaming companys are shortning games and making you buy "extra content" that should have been included in the game.

brr-icy
08-23-2012, 05:07 PM
loving it so far as i knew i would. but thinking back to the war for cybertron. each faction had about 10 levels didnt they?

cant remember off the top of my head but this one has what 12 lvls total?

really sucks they made it a lot shorter, but its still a great game so far.

5 per faction in wfc, so it's a bit longer, maybe an hour or two. i think i'll be able to get about 30 or so hours from the campaign if not more getting all the trophies and audio files.

BlackZarak
08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm taking my time with the game, beating a level per day. I easily spend 1.5-2 hrs for each (I just beat Chapter 4), exploring all there is to see.

UltraPrimal
08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I think Vain summed it up pretty well.

Also, Perceptor in the game was played by Jim Ward, who was the narrator in Defense Grid: The Awakening. I didn't realize it until I started using the Artillery ability and Perceptor said something like, "I believe the scientific term for that is 'pulverized'!". It was kinda trippy. Especially since the objective of Optimus's levels is to activate giant guns to destroy other giant guns, and you can call in artillery strikes. It's kind of like Defense Grid, only from the ground.

bomoth
08-26-2012, 12:16 AM
it was really awesome. but i think that shockwave's voice was a little off. atleast they could use some other voice than the narrator's voice !

Dragon Knight
08-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I miss the ability to play as different characters in a stage, but other then that it's a great game.

Knockout
08-26-2012, 12:37 AM
I haven't started it yet. It's been still wrapped in bag since Tuesday afternoon

Sludge2007
08-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Finished the campaign and loved the story and cut scenes! The game did feel a bit short afterwards. I do miss choosing different characters per chapter and it kinda kills the replay value a bit. One of the biggest gripes I have is the delay time like changing from car to bot and right away trying to melee a con but it won't respond or activating the door switches was very picky at where you have to stand. Couple game glitches left me in no mans land and had to restart the level. All that aside I still enjoyed it and will try it again to unlock all the content but I do feel for all that it turned out to be it falls a little short of what it could have been

bomoth
08-26-2012, 01:24 AM
I miss the ability to play as different characters in a stage, but other then that it's a great game.

yeah me too. more character selection at each chapter would have been fun.

bomoth
08-26-2012, 01:26 AM
yeah i'm replaying the game now and trying to find every blueprint and audiologs. found one log mentionning orion pax !

chaingunsofdoom
08-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Love FoC because it's TF related, great story, but based on finishing the campaign, this is quite short for a $60 game (glad I got it @ EB for less than $30 thanks to their trade deals).

Multiplayer has some fun stuff, but it is really laggy/droppy right now. Got to 14 on Invasion and it dropped servers twice. Wonder if Activison will drop it to $39 within a month?

Goaliebot
08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Loved WFC but am wary of dropping $60 on a short FOC single player. And the Multiplayer FOC demo was not fun, for me. Spawn, run/drive/fly around for 2 minutes shooting the other team with apparently no effect on them, then one of the turns around and one-shot kills me. Repeat.

Will probably pick it up on sale. I definitely want to support High Moon and more TF games, though I do NOT want to encourage this day 1 on-disc DLC bull.

ninjha
08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
It will probabaly be while until the price drops. Although there are tons of copies in the EB near my house. I'll pick it up in 2 weeks however.

Knockout
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I will finally start tonight. I was sick all last week uu;

bomoth
08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
well I bought this game especially for multiplayer, and so far it's very fun. it's far better than WFC's multiplayer !

Limitbreaker
08-27-2012, 11:08 PM
The game is fun but it feels like the gameplay mechanics have been dumbed down from WFC. It felt like High Moon abandoned a lot of stuff that worked in WFC for the making FoC more 'playable.'

- lack of online co-op campaign was disappointing but the story made up for it

- host migration is great for public games. I'm glad that they've addressed that issue.

- no double jump 'to prevent people from abusing double jump cannon spam', but yet they've made splash damage weapons like the Riot Cannon and rockets do a lot more damage than in WFC. Good job High Moon :doh:

-kill streak perks are gone, which I don't mind

- the weapon upgrade system is pretty fun

- they've made the abilities per class more bland and generic in multiplayer and in escalation. It seems like they've toned down the abilities to address the ability glitch abuse from WFC but it seems like cheaters can still do it in this game. Although it looks like High Moon isn't going to bother to patch the glitch but is banning all cheaters. It'll lessen the amount of cheaters but it's still too easy for the cheaters to open a new account to rinse and repeat.

- melee attacks seem to be the same generic sword swinging animation, so no more unique melee animations like in WFC

- while there's some more customization for character part models, the color palette choice in multiplayer is still lacking.

- escalation feels completely different than in WFC. Even on hard difficulty, it feels too short (especially if you're used to playing 50+ wave marathon escalation games in WFC). However, this escalation mode has a heavier emphasis on teamwork to survive the higher waves.

-Again lack of character unique abilities kinda makes the experience less interesting in escalation. Regardless of which map you choose, you basically get the choice of using the ammo beacon, sentry gun, heal beam or flak shield ability among the four characters. Basically different models, exact same abilities. The enemies are slightly more aggressive but they have more or less similar attack patterns from WFC. The new flyers, leapers and guardians add some new challenges on the maps.

I've mostly played the hell out of the four escalation maps, but not sure how long I'll be holding the number 1 ranking. :D

I'll post more later.

Knockout
08-28-2012, 01:56 AM
does anyone know how the create a character upgrade thingie works, cause I get hit once and 90% of my life is gone.

Shepp
08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
So far, just played the first chapter. Pure undiluted awesomesauce.

With only one complaint and one observation:

I can't remap the melee button from my center mouse button. This pisses me off as I keep accidentally swapping weapons when I want to smash the hell out of something.

And the observation is that they removed the option to select who you play during that chapter. I kinda missed this option. I know in WfC people tended to play the big name characters, but I like to play alongside those characters too. Made me feel like I was part of Megatron's or Optimus Prime's respective armies.

Favourite moment: Very hard to choose, but when I first fired the Throwback Blaster and heard the sound. It actually made me smile uncontrollably. That was like the sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

yeah i'm replaying the game now and trying to find every blueprint and audiologs. found one log mentionning orion pax !

Found that one too! Wasn't sure if they were gonna go with Orion Pax or Optronix or some new name.

Blitzkrieg
08-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I enjoyed the game immensely, but I too have a few points that I'd like to adress.

- The game is awesome, but not very challenging I like games that take quite some time to finish, I feel like I am getting my money's worth and I didn't feel that way for FOC. I finished the game within a day.

- The new storyline mode is good, but I preferred WFC's method of either playing the Autobot, or Decepticon Mode. I prefer picking sides rather than playing both sides from the middle.

- Not much in the way of playable characters in FOC, as opposed to WFC, which had a lot of playable characters.

Other than that the game is fantastic! Playing as Bruticus was the best! :D :D :D :D

Jefro
08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I bought WFC because it seemed like it would be a good game. I enjoyed the story line and blah blah... but the escalation aspect took over pretty fast and I continued to play it up until FOC was released. Now with FOC, I did play the campaign but felt it a little lacking (especially the lack of character selection). But did enjoy the story line. As with WFC, I'm strictly playing escalation now in FOC (currently ranked 14th!) but have found a few things to be quite annoying. #1 being buying ammo/health etc as if another player gets there first it will disappear and you then have to wait for it to re-spawn or go find it somewhere else on the map which can be a huge pain if your dying for example. Incorporating ammo and health as player abilities is nice but only if the players know what they're doing. I've been in several games were players never healed others or provided ammo for others etc... which rather defeats the purpose. The idea of having different characters for each escalation level is an alright touch but them all having different weapons is annoying as I personally hate the scrap blaster and ion cannon so you have to buy new guns right off the bat. They level's are also quite a bit smaller from the beginning etc... requiring players to open doors right off the start to provide more room as the waves continue. I've also figured out that escalation is similar to zombies in black ops. You cannot stay still or even stay behind cover. You need to keep moving and do laps around the maps and shoot enemies as they appear or you can easily get over run. I've figured out Oblivion and beat it several times solo/alone. I'm pretty sure I have Ignition figured out as well but only made it to wave 12 as I screwed up twice. Have yet to try Downfall solo. Have tried Ancients and its got to be the hardest map.

All in all... Great game in my opinion and defiantly worth $68 though it would have been nice to get it for $30 like WFC. I will add though, if your not into escalation or multi-player then I'd say borrow it from a friend or rent it just to play the campaign quick or wait to get it on sale.