PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro should be embarassed by FOC Prime.

canprime
08-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Seriously....

I finally picked one up today, and I was admittedly skeptical after seeing reviews. However I saw him in person, along with Jazz, but no Shockwave. He was tiny as others have said, but I ignored other people's posts/reviews and bought him anyway.

Well, let me say, it was a mistake at full price. This was a design that I thought was pretty awesome when I saw the first pics. However that quickly has fallen by the way after getting my hands on him.

Now, to be fair, the design is still pretty nice in my opinion, but that is pretty much where the compliments end.

First, he is barely above a Scout class figure, yet we get a deluxe class labeled on him which is honestly stretching believability.

Second, he has loose joints and overall is pretty flimsy. Now part of that is the small size, but the other is just, I believe, poor quality of the design of the joints.

Finally, this may be just the one I bought, the plastic is pretty thin/weak in spots that makes me worry about any prolonged handling.

I feel this figure might have been better served by being upsized to a Voyager. However I really feel Hasbro, or whoever is in charge of the line, should be embarassed at this offering. I honestly feel like this was a weak offering not worth the money they are charging (yes I know retail price is not Hasbro, but still, there is a baseline for Deluxes).

I hope Jazz and Shockwave are much better, but now I am hesitant to buy either at full price.

Yobuster
08-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Buy Shockwave, you won't regret it. Sure he's a bit small but i can live with it. I haven't opened Optimus and Jazz yet but going by what you say i'll be lowering my expectations.

Nomad
08-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Hasbro should apologies for FOC Prime in more ways than Jim Carry should've apologized for The Cable Guy

(also, if anyone knows who or where I stole that joke from, please let me know haha)

sikkbones
08-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah, Hasbro should apologies for FOC Prime in more ways than Jim Carry should've apologized for The Cable Guy

(also, if anyone knows who or where I stole that joke from, please let me know haha)

Cable Guy was a great Movie... as long as you weren't looking for Ass Ventura pet detective....

Nullray
08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
When i saw pics of Jazz beside WFC Bumblebee and he is smaller in scale I was totally turned off. It seems the new deluxe line is trending towards scout class....

Matrix_Holder
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Hasbro needs to apologize for FOC Jazz, that figure is a mess..what they hell happened to his chest and he feels so cheap. Mine won't tab properly so there are gaps in car mode...he is now in storage and will stay there and the only part of him that sees "display" is his gun and that is mounted on Takara TF Prime Voyager Breadowns shoulder as his missile launcher.

sikkbones
08-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Methinks ill wait and get this line at 8 bucks and or on sale.

Commandoclone87
08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I skipped over Prime for Shockwave and Jazz. Shyockwave is definitely a great representation of the character if a little small) and Jazz looks alright. Unfortunately, I fear for their longevity as Jazz already has a biggass stress mark on the car back.

Slave
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
What is it with everyone complaining about "small"...

MP-10 was small... no one complained...
Upcoming MP-11 Sideswipe (lambor) is friggin' small.. heck he's a masterpiece and goes to MP-10 prime's waist, and thats a "normal" deluxe" size... no one complains...

I personally like it when they're small... more space for on my shelves...

I dont hide the fact that the FOC line is a horrid one in both concept and quality... just arguing about the sinze, personally I like their size, I dont mind that "this format is the new deluxe"

All TF are getting smaller. Look at the recent Master Piece... MP-01 is like 2-3 inches taller than his remake MP-10... and the upcoming Lambor MP-11 is like 3 inches smaller than MP-10... yet he's still considered a Master Piece.

Just like a dick joke: Dont hate the size, hate the quality.

Knockout
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
there is alot Hasbro should be embaressed and appologize for

Hellboy
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Doesn't Hasbro just use the Takara molds? Shouldn't we be blaming Takara for the new sizes? :p

Stapler
08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
It can't be helped. Oil is getting more and more expensive so hasbro has to cut back so they can still sell figures at mass retail at a cost that parents will still pay and hasbro can make a profit. Times are tough and hasbro is feeling the pinch just like everyone else. I'm actually surprised the scale down didn't happen a couple years sooner to be honest.

Yes Prime, Jazz and Shockwave are smaller in height but they still have bulk in them. Put them next to a scout class figure and you'll see that they are still taller, bigger and bulkier than the scouts. Don't get me wrong, it sucks but it's just how it is. Things will get better again eventually. :)

I personally like the FoC Prime figure quite a bit. He's become my favorite out of him, Jazz and Shockwave. He just has a simplicity to him that makes him very fun and accesable and I can't stop playing with him. The joints on all my FoC figures are nice and tight, too.

I stood my FoC Prime with my other deluxe size Primes and I think he has the same mass as the 2-pack Classics Prime (for the most part), his design just happens to be more stout and, for lack of a better word, chubby. As for the cheap feeling, I think that can be attributed to a there being less, if not any, metal pins and such to give him a little extra weight. I admit that it would be nice if he were taller, though.

Sun Swipe Prime
08-21-2012, 12:33 AM
It's not as bad as you think. Cackedup83 did a comparison between in his review of Deluxe FOC Prime and Deluxe BW Cheetor and they're about the same size. See attached screen capture below and his video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0JTusdgx0

Deluxes got bigger through the 2000's now they're shrinking again. I wish they weren't, and for a while, I was raging about it to myself.

But then I looked around at my collection of hundreds of figures and thought to myself, if this is the biggest problem in my life right now, it isn't such a big deal after all.

Yes, Hasbro is trying to cut costs. They need to make money. But, if I don't like the figures they're producing, I don't have to, and I won't, buy them. I'll save up and spend my money on some of the 3rd party stuff or maybe I'll bank it and wait for Hasbro to make something I do like.

Choices, aren't they a great thing? Because not everybody has them.

Nomad
08-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I pretty much just see this as BW history coming to life in the form of the great downgrade.

... however in all fairness, TM Cheetor looks like a damn masterpiece next to that thing haha.

brr-icy
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Jazz has worse plastic than my $10 ko devastator the arm pegs were cracked in package, and the painted black part on his back is stressed to the point of cracking, if parents buy this crap for their kids, they will be pissed. I'm not usually this down on any figure, but these are a joke. hasbro should feel bad.

Omegatron
08-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I agree that the new FOC figures are not the best, although I don't think they are quite as terrible as people think. That being said, none of us work for Hasbro, we don't really know the reasons behind the recent design decisions they have made, all we can do is speculate. I for one am willing to give Hasbro the benefit of the doubt that they are doing their best to keep the Transformers line fresh and profitable so it will continue in the future while trying to satisfy their target audiences of kids and the much smaller audience of collectors. They will learn from their mistakes as they see how the new toys are received and how they stand up to play in the real world. They will also make mistakes in the future because even after 30 years designing a transforming toy is still not a perfect science. I sincerely doubt that Hasbro's stated goal is "to screw over collectors". Relax and enjoy they toys for what they are, share your views because I'm sure Hasbro likes the feedback but there is no evil conspiracy at Hasbro to design inferior toys. If you really don't like them don't like them don't buy them.

down_shift
08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I really like FOC Prime. Jazz on the other hand...

chovner
08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
I agree that the new FOC figures are not the best, although I don't think they are quite as terrible as people think. That being said, none of us work for Hasbro, we don't really know the reasons behind the recent design decisions they have made, all we can do is speculate. I for one am willing to give Hasbro the benefit of the doubt that they are doing their best to keep the Transformers line fresh and profitable so it will continue in the future while trying to satisfy their target audiences of kids and the much smaller audience of collectors. They will learn from their mistakes as they see how the new toys are received and how they stand up to play in the real world. They will also make mistakes in the future because even after 30 years designing a transforming toy is still not a perfect science. I sincerely doubt that Hasbro's stated goal is "to screw over collectors". Relax and enjoy they toys for what they are, share your views because I'm sure Hasbro likes the feedback but there is no evil conspiracy at Hasbro to design inferior toys. If you really don't like them don't like them don't buy them.
I have a buddy that works at Hasbro, he says all they do is sit in big red chairs with white cats in their laps... stroking them while brainstorming ideas on how to screw with collectors... they also wear monocles... True story ( or not ).... :)

jourdo
08-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking that waiting for a sale is going to be my best bet if I get these at all.

I have a buddy that works at Hasbro, he says all they do is sit in big red chairs with white cats in their laps... stroking them while brainstorming ideas on how to screw with collectors... they also wear monocles... True story ( or not ).... :)

Love it!

Shockwave 75
08-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Doesn't Hasbro just use the Takara molds? Shouldn't we be blaming Takara for the new sizes? :p
Back in the '80's, yes. But now, unless it's an exclusively Japanese series like BW2 & BWN, they share in the design process.

Cpl. Chrissandwich
08-21-2012, 02:07 PM
FOC Prime? I'll take FOC Prime over Prime Arachnid any day. The thread should be about that figure. FOC Prime is actually a neat little figure, I like him alot more than Jazz.

Alexander Quinn
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
there is alot Hasbro should be embaressed and appologize for

So true. So, so true.

SanMiguel
08-21-2012, 04:20 PM
R & R!!! Recall and Refund!!!

Omegatron
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!

Darth Cylon
08-23-2012, 01:02 AM

This is a high res group shot of FOC cast. Now let's put it this way. The "tiny" Prime will be very much in scale with the upcoming voyager Grimlock, and the "tiny" Shockwave and Starscream will also be very much in scale with WFC Megatron and Soundwave, and Bruticus.

So there you go.

But now you are going to argue why Brawl and Swindle are there along with Bruticus. Well it does look like Bruticus is missing his legs. LOL.

joshimus
08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm looking forward tot he FOC figs but I wait for sales anyway. While I wish prime was a tad taller in bot mode, such is life. I'm pretty used to HasTak occasionally disappointing us...so no biggy. I agree about the TF:Prime Air Arachnid. THAT toy is an abomination. There is so much they could have done with that figure to make it good. Much like the Weaponizer Prime, both have cyberverse basic transformations that hurt the figure. Actually, some CV figs have MORE happening with their transformations.

StaticShin27
08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm fine with Jazz's size at least. At least he won't be on par with my WFC Prime...unlike a certain bee

Supernova
08-23-2012, 08:57 AM

This is a high res group shot of FOC cast. Now let's put it this way. The "tiny" Prime will be very much in scale with the upcoming voyager Grimlock, and the "tiny" Shockwave and Starscream will also be very much in scale with WFC Megatron and Soundwave, and Bruticus.

So there you go.

But now you are going to argue why Brawl and Swindle are there along with Bruticus. Well it does look like Bruticus is missing his legs. LOL.

I had a feeling that there was maybe some attempt at scale going on. Good find!

Darth Cylon
08-23-2012, 11:13 AM
You can download the full size poster here.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=425416090827177&set=a.196236317078490.37515.180774635291325&type=1&relevant_count=1