PDA

View Full Version : Is TFcon worth it for out of towners?

jourdo
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I was asking Soundwave.ca about the con last night, and would like more opinions. Is this worth it for someone from out of town (out of province in this case) to come to this kind of thing? Anyone make the trek from a fair distance?

Thanks!

rid
10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
It depends on why you go there for. And there's always pros and cons to it all.

Pros:
I went this year and my intentions were to find some stuff I could not find locally and/or hard to find on the web. Thinks like US exclusives (Alt Rumble/Ravage, G1 stuff) or parts (so many that I would end up buying from dozens of sellers). With one trip to TFCon, I got 90% of the figures I needed and 95% of the parts. All in one place.

You also get to share the fun with other fans. And also to meet up with fans from far away.

I also have friends in TO so that was another reason to head there.

Cons:
Conventions tends to charge higher prices.
if you're looking for parts, be ready to line up upwards of an hour. There's usulally several dealers selling parts buy only 1 or 2 specializing in parts and would have all the parts you need. Therefore most people would line up there. So you'd better be patient.
You end up spending quite a bit for travel, lodging, food, etc.

So you have to balance the pros and cons and see if it's worth it.

All in all, it was worth it for me coz I had lots to buy. But I wouldn't make it an annual thing.

my two cents.

Aernaroth
10-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I think its definately worth your while. You get to meet new people, attend some awesome events, and spend some time in a different city.

As for merch, its a huge convention. If you're looking for something tf, this is the place in Canada you're most likely to find it, I would think. Convention prices might seem higher, but a lot of the dealers are willing to cut you deals, and are really reasonable and helpful people. As for parts, in previous years, there's been a "parts party" where all the con-goers can get together and trade parts, rather than just having the one or two people in the dealer room.

So yeah, I say definately come on down to hogtown.

Nightscrabbler
10-04-2007, 02:55 PM
We've had people come from Manitoba, Quebec, the Maritimes, and the American mideast and northeast. Most of those people have returned subsequent years or have stated their intention to come back next year. And I'm sure there are many people who came from other places that I haven't thought of. Only you can decide for sure if the trip is worth your while, but the only way to know for sure is to come out. I think TFCon gets better every year.

soundwaveCA
10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Another reason to go besides what I was talking about yesterday is that TFCon is only getting bigger and better and next year is going to be the best yet :D

rid
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Another reason to go besides what I was talking about yesterday is that TFCon is only getting bigger and better and next year is going to be the best yet :D

But the one in 2 years will be bigger and better yet than next year's. And so on, right? So if I want to go to the biggest and best one yet, I should wait, and wait, and wait... So basically, to go to the biggest and best one, I should never go, right :D

Sideswipe
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
IF you want to look at it another way, the last one YOU attend would be YOUR biggest and best one ever, so it's just a matter of deciding what year you want to attend.

I've personally enjoyed attending consecutive annual TFcons, because I get to build on the friendships I make, and I coincidently have more $ to spend each year. Heh.

JLvatron
10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
We've had people come from Manitoba, Quebec, the Maritimes, and the American mideast and northeast. Most of those people have returned subsequent years or have stated their intention to come back next year. And I'm sure there are many people who came from other places that I haven't thought of. Only you can decide for sure if the trip is worth your while, but the only way to know for sure is to come out. I think TFCon gets better every year.

We have an active fan attend regularly from California, and this year we had fans and dealers from BC.

People definitely come from afar for the fun and excitement that TFcon offers.:)

soundwaveCA
10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
But the one in 2 years will be bigger and better yet than next year's. And so on, right? So if I want to go to the biggest and best one yet, I should wait, and wait, and wait... So basically, to go to the biggest and best one, I should never go, right :D

No quite the opposite, that just means you should always go :D

JLvatron
10-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Your logic is flawless!:cool:

Nightscrabbler
10-05-2007, 08:13 PM

:cool:

Robimus
10-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Thats a large expense I'm sure Jourdo, plane ticket alone is probably mega-bucks. That said if I thought I could afford it, I'd do it. Just don't drive..............

jourdo
10-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Thats a large expense I'm sure Jourdo, plane ticket alone is probably mega-bucks. That said if I thought I could afford it, I'd do it. Just don't drive..............

Yeah I did that drive once when we moved out here (very sucky). I'm hoping I can find a course on at the same time, so I can use the trip as a write-off.

Autovolt 127
10-06-2007, 01:37 PM

That's why i'm going.

I want my hands on a SL Bructicus.

Leozak
10-06-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm from Manitoba, have attended the con for the last 2 years and it has always been such a blast! Been to Botcon too, but I found that the people at TFcon are nicer.. including the dealers :)

So, if you can make it there, you won't be disappointed. There's plenty to do at the con already and there is never enough time to spend at the dealers room...

Aernaroth
10-06-2007, 03:46 PM

Dude, boring and long as they are, roadtrips from the prairies to toronto rock.

Robimus
10-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Dude, boring and long as they are, roadtrips from the prairies to toronto rock.

Only on SCTV. Yes the single lane highways are a blast, especially if there's construction. :cool: Just 25 to 28 hours and your there. Pretty rocks though...........how come transcanada to Lake Louise is now twinned but theres still so much single lane-age in western Ontario? Must be all that oil money out west :D

Protoman
10-09-2007, 07:05 AM
With TFcon or even Botcon, if your going JUST because you want to buy Transformers, you might be better off on ebay, cause some pricing at TFcon can be a little crazy, but that's not what TFcon is about. It's about the social aspect.

Aernaroth
10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Only on SCTV. Yes the single lane highways are a blast, especially if there's construction. :cool: Just 25 to 28 hours and your there. Pretty rocks though...........how come transcanada to Lake Louise is now twinned but theres still so much single lane-age in western Ontario? Must be all that oil money out west :D

Tourism dollars.

AlexDontius
10-11-2007, 05:14 PM
If it's worth it to me -- and I travel from NY city!! -- then you can do it too :D

TFcon Toronto
10-15-2007, 10:36 AM
It depends on why you go there for. And there's always pros and cons to it all.

Pros:
I went this year and my intentions were to find some stuff I could not find locally and/or hard to find on the web. Thinks like US exclusives (Alt Rumble/Ravage, G1 stuff) or parts (so many that I would end up buying from dozens of sellers). With one trip to TFCon, I got 90% of the figures I needed and 95% of the parts. All in one place.

You also get to share the fun with other fans. And also to meet up with fans from far away.

I also have friends in TO so that was another reason to head there.

Cons:
Conventions tends to charge higher prices.
if you're looking for parts, be ready to line up upwards of an hour. There's usulally several dealers selling parts buy only 1 or 2 specializing in parts and would have all the parts you need. Therefore most people would line up there. So you'd better be patient.
You end up spending quite a bit for travel, lodging, food, etc.

So you have to balance the pros and cons and see if it's worth it.

All in all, it was worth it for me coz I had lots to buy. But I wouldn't make it an annual thing.

my two cents.

IF you want to look at it another way, the last one YOU attend would be YOUR biggest and best one ever, so it's just a matter of deciding what year you want to attend.

I've personally enjoyed attending consecutive annual TFcons, because I get to build on the friendships I make, and I coincidently have more $ to spend each year. Heh.

I'm from Manitoba, have attended the con for the last 2 years and it has always been such a blast! Been to Botcon too, but I found that the people at TFcon are nicer.. including the dealers :)

So, if you can make it there, you won't be disappointed. There's plenty to do at the con already and there is never enough time to spend at the dealers room...

With TFcon or even Botcon, if your going JUST because you want to buy Transformers, you might be better off on ebay, cause some pricing at TFcon can be a little crazy, but that's not what TFcon is about. It's about the social aspect.

If it's worth it to me -- and I travel from NY city!! -- then you can do it too :D

Glad to hear so many out of towners enjoy the convention to keep coming back every year!

Oasis
10-30-2007, 02:08 AM
I used to go because of the US/Canadian Dollar rate...now I have to go for another reason. The hot Canadian accents, I guess.

Robimus
10-30-2007, 02:16 AM

I'd love to attend one year, but its the distance thats tough. I know I keep harping but I'm just trying to be realistic. NYC is what 8 or 10 hours from Toronto? Somebody in Alberta is like 36 hours away by car.
Maybe one year some of us westerners can band together and rent a bus or something. Just stop and pick me up in the Peg :D . This year I'm intent on hitting Calgary Expo this year but if enough people were interested I'm sure the cost of the drive to Toronto would be considerably less divided by 10 or so. I think I have all my good idea's after midnight.

Super_Megatron
10-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Ya, renting a Van and splitting the gas and hotel with 5 other guys makes it a cheap and fun road trip.

Stormrave
11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
I went from the Maritimes two years in a row. (This year I'm living in the same province.)

If you go simply because there's a particular item you want to buy, you might be disappointed. For example, I've yet to find Cobalt Sentries in the dealer room. You'd be better off using ebay if that's what you have in mind.

If you want to met and hang out with other fans, listen to panels from actors, artists, etc, share something creative (either to contribute or admire from others), and maybe pick up some cool toys while you're at it, then yes, it is definitely worth the trip.

Also, last year, my friend and I took the Sunday to go to the ROM and see some of the other things Toronto has to offer, not just the con. Public transit was quite reasonable.

Aernaroth
11-11-2007, 11:21 PM
I used to go because of the US/Canadian Dollar rate...now I have to go for another reason. The hot Canadian accents, I guess.

That is the first time I've ever heard someone call a Canadian accent "hot". You are awesome.

JLvatron
11-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Dude, you shoulda told me that at BotCon, I woulda said "Eh" a little more! :D