PDA

View Full Version : Scrapper6 Talks Super-God Masterforce

Scrapper6
05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Well, having sat through two discs worth of the series so far here are my early thoughts on the presentation of the series and Shout's DVD box set as a whole.

First of all the animation quality is not as bad as I thought it would be, there are a few rare instances of footage that doesn't look as pristine as it may have been during the original broadcasts, however for the most part the series seems to hold up quite nicely.

The commercial Bumpers are quite impressive too. I am however a little bit confused and disapointed by the lack of the G1 Transforming sound effect, in Headmasters it was used a lot more frequently, with Masterforce you only ever hear it from the Decepticons and never from the Autobots. Without that sound effect, it just doesn't feel 100% like Transformers to me.

The audio quality is pretty impressive though.

The sub-titles unfortunately are quite numerous and some scenes flash by so quickly with the dialogue you may find yourself pausing every so many minutes if you aren't a speedy enough reader. I read fast, but even with my speed some of the words vanish before I get to the end of the sentence. (I suppose that just means repeated viewings are a must to memorize them.)

Its odd seeing Powermaster Optimus Prime and not a single character makes a comment on how similar Ginrai's transtector looks to the late Convoy. Perhaps that comes later in the series, I mean the last episode I've seen up to so far was the introduction of Ranger.

I can understand how some fans of the series think this is one of the best series out there, the action is impressive and the plot so far keeps you guessing while still revealing developments when necessary.

The Decepticons are really vicious in this series too, in the first episode alone they murder an entire cruise ship full of humans, and once the Headmasters Juniors are introduced things get really serious, They Kill a Little Girl's Puppy for Primus Sake!

Animal deaths seem to be a common occurance, the poor little girl lost a puppy, some animals in Africa are destroyed because the Decepticons use them to try and eliminate the humans and Ranger's horse was crushed when the Decepticon Juniors went after the Godmaster Transtector. It feels like a much darker, more serious tone, something along the lines of Dark of the Moon in the more contemporary Transformers mythos.

The title menus and such are really nice too, with great presentation. There is only one thing that I am still not used to with this series. The Theme song, it seems so slow and melancholy compared to past series, even Headmasters was a bit more up-beat than this one. Than again, Victory also seems to have a more slower ballad like theme compared to what the US got with their G1 Themes.

After having such an impressive opening theme with TF Prime as I said this one will take getting used to, I'm not even sure if I could ever enjoy it as much as other fans have.

Damn it all to hell though do I want to pick up that Seacon Re-Issue set from Raven Comics though thanks to this DVD set.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more Classics interpretations of characters from this series like Skullgrin, off the top of my head, Bomb-Burst, Minerva, Ginrai (Even if Hasbro called him Powermaster Prime again he'd still stand in nicely as a Ginrai update), Metalhawk (That isn't just a Botcon exclusive repaint of Thunderwing), Waverider, Landmine and Cloudburst too.

Looks like I'll be hunting down Universe Darkwind, Botcon Dreadwind and Movie 1 Breakaway for my Classics collection in the not too distant future. Perhaps during the Summer.

Overall, I'd say this series is shaping up to be quite impressive, as equally enjoyable as Headmasters for me, and filled with dark undertones you wouldn't expect in a television show aimed at children to sell toys. (I Freely admit that scene with the puppy choked me up, but how can you not get emotional over the death of a little puppy!) I eagerly anticipate the arrival of Overlord and God Ginrai, now if you'll excuse me, since I'm not seeing The Avengers until Monday I have to occupy my time with something, and what better something than more MASTER FORCE!

I do wish there was an option to shut off the subs of the Japanese Theme and just keep the english ones, the screen gets so cluttered and the images get covered up with all those subs there. Did we really need a subtitled Theme song with the Japanese AND English words playing at the same time?

Shepp
05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
To my knowledge, what with Karaoke being so popular in Japan, the title sequences (and sometimes the credits sequence) tend to have subtitles for most shows, even in their original broadcast versions. I've seen a couple where the subtitles are actually "drawn" in with the animation instead of added after.

justprime
05-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I have the eariler set that was released overseas that was dubbed,.. its sound track did include the trasformation sounds for both fractions and even thought the voice over was a little cheezy it was more enjoyable as I could turn off sub titles and enjoy not having to speed read,.. the series was enjoyable (like headmasters and victory)even being a little darker in some respects,... one would think after all these years that somebody would get a proper voice over cast together and do it justice this would I think add to the popularity for this show.

Stapler
05-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear that the set is good. I'm really looking forward to picking it up. :)

Vain
05-05-2012, 09:55 PM
So they still refer to them in the japanese way in the subs?

The thing I liked about headmasters is that Optimus was as such and not Convoy and that Hot rod was Hot rod even though they said Rodimus Convoy.

Seeing Ginrai rather then Optimus is going to hell'a bug me.

Stapler
05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Well to be fair, in Masterforce it isn't Optimus Prime at all. Ginrai and Prime are two different characters instead of the same character with a different name.

Scrapper6
05-05-2012, 11:19 PM
So they still refer to them in the japanese way in the subs?

The thing I liked about headmasters is that Optimus was as such and not Convoy and that Hot rod was Hot rod even though they said Rodimus Convoy.

Seeing Ginrai rather then Optimus is going to hell'a bug me.

Yeah, well as Stapler pointed out Ginray is not Optimus. The Powermaster version of Optimus was not made into another version of Convoy in Japan for whatever reason. But when they created the storyline of the Godmasters they still wanted to use all of the toys.

Watching more and more of this series really helps you get used to that, I mean he none of these Autobots, with the exception to the Pretenders and Grand Maximus, are even from Cybertron. Or if they are, I haven't gotten to that point in the typical Anime style plot.

I'm a little more annoyed that everybody on Earth seems to know who Grand and Black Zarak are yet we've never even seen these two redecoed city-bots during the entire run of Headmasters.

The dialogue also tends to get a little bit repetitive during battles, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen 'Now I am your Opponent' (or variations of same) and 'Eat This!' during the thirty+ episodes I've watched so far.

But overall, the set was well worth the money. It's emotionally fulfilling to watch new Transformers material again, much like when Headmasters came out last year. I sure hope it won't take such a big delay/gap to get Victory.

Part of me is kind of hoping IDW could get the rights to re-publish the old TV-Nihon Manga that corresponded with these series, if only because it would be more fresh material based in the G1 mythos to observe. Especially all of the material dealing with Zone and Return of Convoy with the whole Star Convoy and Super Megatron stuff.

Some of this material might cater to a niche corner of the fanbase, but if they did something really impressive with the ideas that these Japanese creators introduced it would be pretty impressive. Hell I'd be content just to see some kind of profile book written by an English speaking fan tieing all of these Japanese only characters (even the Japanese versions of American characters that got completely different back stories, orgins and characterisations.) into some kind of MtMTE style framework that would fit in to established American G1 continuity.

I do notice though that the Japanese don't seem to really tie back to stuff established in Season Three as being the technological standpoint of the Earth during this time period, it wasn't as noticeable in Headmasters because they didn't really go to Earth, but when you're supposed to be in 2013 (or whatever) but the military forces are still using old school fighter jets instead of EDC space craft to counter attack the Decepticons (and most humans seem to not even know who or what the Decepticons are after having two decades of Megatron and company running around causing untold numbers of mayhem you start to wonder if Japan meant these series to take place more along the lines of back in the 80's or something rather than the future established in Season Three.

I'm also wondering if Shuta's father's actions are going to lead anywhere, since he was given something by his father early on in the series and I thought it might have been tied to the Master Bracelets, but nothing like that was ever shown to be the case.

Robimus
05-06-2012, 02:16 AM
I've only watched a couple episodes thus far(mostly my daughter has been filling me in :p) and I'm finding the show pretty fun.

The Headmaster Junior deal is a winner for sure. A cute idea that draws in kids and lets them imagine that they too could be a Transformer.

justprime
05-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Continuity is always a problem with the tF story Japan spits off after the movie (they did however tie in G1 to movie with scramble city to explain the new charaters unlike sunbow that left it out in the wind) just as the beast wars 2 and neo I always thought that these stories took place before the movie hence the old style military hardware. Ginrai wasn't cast as an upgraded optimus wich I also though was cool considering convoy becomes victory leo later on.

Scrapper6
05-06-2012, 08:59 AM
DOes anyone think we might finally get Robots in Disguise in Region 1 from start to finish after Victory comes out?

I mean I can understand the sensibilities of not releasing it at the time, what with 9/11 and all that, but it's been over ten years. I honestly don't see how a bunch of cartoon Predacons ripping up buildings is going to hurt the feelings of someone when they've already made movies based on the event in question.

Plus, after watching all these old school G1 Animes I really want to watch RiD again due to the animation styles somewhat meshing. And I'd rather see Shout give us RID before we get the Unicron Trilogy re-released. (If they even bothered with those three shows.)

Shepp
05-06-2012, 09:10 AM
DOes anyone think we might finally get Robots in Disguise in Region 1 from start to finish after Victory comes out?

I mean I can understand the sensibilities of not releasing it at the time, what with 9/11 and all that, but it's been over ten years. I honestly don't see how a bunch of cartoon Predacons ripping up buildings is going to hurt the feelings of someone when they've already made movies based on the event in question.

Plus, after watching all these old school G1 Animes I really want to watch RiD again due to the animation styles somewhat meshing. And I'd rather see Shout give us RID before we get the Unicron Trilogy re-released. (If they even bothered with those three shows.)

I'm all for RiD and the AEC Unicron series since I never bothered to watch them while they were on TV.

What I'm really hoping for is an Animated box set.

bedtime
05-06-2012, 09:34 AM

i'd LOVE them to do the original japanese versions of rid/armada/etc. i cant find that shit online and i REALLY want to plow through it all some day