PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars 3D

Metroplex79
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Watched Ep 1 last night, it wasn't too bad. The theatre I was in had roughly 40-50 people, so it wasn't a packed house. But of course it was Valentine's Day, so I'm sure a lot of people had other things to do and/or watch.

Everything that was in the background and fuzzy before on DVD was crystal clear.

The space stuff wasn't all that enhanced (to me) as the black background made depth difficult to capture the 3D-ness. But everything in daylight was really well done.

Who else has seen it already or plans to see it (or any of the others)?

I'm more interested in watching the original trilogy in 3D...even though the glasses on glasses thing makes it annoying for me.

Team Jetfire
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I have no interest in seeing it in 3D, but I would like to see it in the theaters again if not just to hear the theme song in THX.

jourdo
02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
I could care less about 3D, but it would be cool to take my son to see it in the theatres.

Robimus
02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Everything that was in the background and fuzzy before on DVD was crystal clear.

3D, while it advertises itself as an inhansment, actually destroys parts of films.

So much effort and detail went into the background scenes I just don't get why a film maker would want to show off his work in this way?

Well, other than to make a buck that is.;)

jourdo
02-15-2012, 02:57 PM
3D, while it advertises itself as an inhansment, actually destroys parts of films.

So, George Lucas is 3D?????[/whiny fan boy]

Metroplex79
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
I have no interest in seeing it in 3D, but I would like to see it in the theaters again if not just to hear the theme song in THX.
I could care less about 3D, but it would be cool to take my son to see it in the theatres.
I only went to see it just because it's in the theatre. I really didn't care if it was 3D or not. As I said in the OP, I'm more looking forward to seeing the original trilogy on the big screen. I wasn't born yet for Ep 4, and I wasn't old enough to watch Ep 5, but I did manage to watch Ep 6 back in 83.

I only have a 32" screen TV (I know some of you have a better TV), but watching it on the big screen is always better. Unfortunately, you have to sit with the inconsiderate people who turn on their cells to text, or chit chat with the person beside them on whatever. :argh: Regardless, it's on the big screen, and watching Star Wars on a...say...14" TV doesn't have the same kick.

Though if somehow the TF 86 movie is on the big screen, I'd still go and watch it. Even though I own 4 copies of it and watched it at least 100 times. Curious, would the 86 movie in 3D translate well?

So, George Lucas is 3D?????[/whiny fan boy]
:rofl:

In a non-3D related train, but still Star Wars-wise...I thought this was kinda cool.
http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/star-wars-electric-guitar/1glb41970?from=en-ca-hpquad

Anyways, continue back on discussing Star Wars 3D....

Team Jetfire
02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I would actually love to hear the stories that people have about seeing EP 1 in the theater.

I went to a 3 am showing at the old GLOBE theater in calgary in a house coat and pajamas. Then went to dennys after... It was a hoot.

Sun Swipe Prime
02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Gosh I don't know why Bay did this... err... I mean Lucas... sigh... just insert what ever fanboy rant you want in this square [insert rant here]

Darth Cylon
02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Not trolling but even an emotionally detached, heartbroken single guy like me would feel pretty pathetic watching any movie in the theater (let alone SW Ep I) on the most dreadful day of the year.

Robimus
02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
I would actually love to hear the stories that people have about seeing EP 1 in the theater.

I waited in line 6 hours when tickets went on sale a week before the opening. Only showed up 3 hours before the actual movie and ended up in the front row :p

Watched this 12 times in the theater and still like it to this day.

jacobot
02-15-2012, 05:58 PM
3D didn't do much for it. Just cool seeing it again on a big screen :D

Freebies were nice :)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/6856893403_f60942237e.jpg

jjwankenobi
02-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I worked for Famous Players back in '99 so I got to see Ep I a total of 17 times for free. Each time I brought a new friend to see it and each time I got to see a different shade of disappointment.

Is that stopping me from taking my 5 year old son to see it in 3D this weekend? Nope. Ironically it's his favourite of the saga (he's actually seen only parts of Ep III since he can do without nightmares about immolation or being cut in half by a trusted adult wielding a lightsaber), second to Episode IV.

The way I see it I'll have to sit through Ep I in 3D, maybe skip II and III until we get to the meaty goodness of IV and V, then the ramp down from bliss that is Ep VI.

sikkbones
02-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I worked for Famous Players back in '99 so I got to see Ep I a total of 17 times for free. Each time I brought a new friend to see it and each time I got to see a different shade of disappointment.

Is that stopping me from taking my 5 year old son to see it in 3D this weekend? Nope. Ironically it's his favourite of the saga (he's actually seen only parts of Ep III since he can do without nightmares about immolation or being cut in half by a trusted adult wielding a lightsaber), second to Episode IV.

The way I see it I'll have to sit through Ep I in 3D, maybe skip II and III until we get to the meaty goodness of IV and V, then the ramp down from bliss that is Ep VI.

it's a very good kids movie.... and sets up IV to VII well...

saw it with my 5 year old nephew in 99/00? and my son loves this movie and he was 7 the first time he watched it...

first live action movie that wasn't disney pablum he ever sat thru

Metroplex79
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Not trolling but even an emotionally detached, heartbroken single guy like me would feel pretty pathetic watching any movie in the theater (let alone SW Ep I) on the most dreadful day of the year.

I didn't care, it was a Tuesday, so admission was a little cheaper. Local buds were too busy or had no interest, so going alone was the only choice. As my "free" time is limited, it was either go alone on Tuesday, or risk not being able to catch it at all in 3 weeks.

3D didn't do much for it. Just cool seeing it again on a big screen :D

Freebies were nice :)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7057/6856893403_f60942237e.jpg
Woah, I didn't get any of those :crying:

I'm guessing those were only for the midnight screening or for opening night?

...The way I see it I'll have to sit through Ep I in 3D, maybe skip II and III until we get to the meaty goodness of IV and V, then the ramp down from bliss that is Ep VI.
I read somewhere that only 1 movie is released per year, I can't find the link, nor find anymore details as to when the other movies are re-released. Maybe my internet-fu is weak, anyone have more information as to when the other 5 movies are released?

If it is true, in 2 years he might be able to handle Ep III.

Robimus
02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I believe Episode 2 is same time next year.

Prowl_2009
02-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Saw it in 3D opening night and I throughly enjoyed it. The theatre I went to, Famous Players Newmarket, was packed and people brought in lightsabers and everything, so it was really cool! My group got really good seats since we got tickets early, which is good because by the time we got there and got into line, they were putting up signs saying the 7:30 showing was sold out.

gagagalvatron
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM

I saw the original Star Wars in the theatres. I was 4, and don't remember that first screening so much, but I remember the event. Star Wars and its sequels was a big part of growing up.

I saw Episode 1 during the day, and it put me in a state of cognitive dissonance for weeks afterward. My gut was telling me it was stupid, a letdown, and inexplicably racist. My brain didn't want to listen. I thought it was me -- I thought I had changed and that it was me, not the movie. I didn't want to believe that the new Star Wars sucked, and thought that it was all going to be amazing somehow when all three prequels were done.

When Episode 2 came out, my son was 1 and would go to a play group for 3 hours every Friday. It was the only time I was able to get out and do anything. I chose to see Episode 2. I still believed.

It started late, there was almost 30 minutes of commercials, and I had to leave about 20 minutes before the ending. I went years without seeing the last part or the whole Yoda lightsaber thing.

I was so pissed. This was my only free time during the week, and what time I didn't spend groaning I spent checking my watch. I talked with my neighbor not long afterward, and I found out I wasn't alone -- she hated it as much as I did.

It was then that I realized I might have changed, but so did George Lucas, and that it wasn't just me.

I still haven't seen Episode 3. I've played the Lego games and seen scenes, so I know what happens, but I've never seen the actual movie.

I was in Zellers a few weeks ago, and there were some guys in the Star Wars aisle. They couldn't have been more than 20, so they would have been kids when Episode 1 came out and would have seen it in the theatres. They said the following:

"Hey, did you hear they're re-releasing The Phantom Menace? In 3D?"

"Yeah. They're re-releasing garbage."

Then they went back to looking at Star Wars figures.

Metroplex79
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Well...after 4 weeks, Episode I is up to $42.2 million.

http://movies.yahoo.com/box-office/

How much much are you guys predicting the other movies will make after their first month?

CobraCommander
03-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Wow... that's actually quite impressive, I didn't think there would be much fanfare to go see that?

Robimus
03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Wow... that's actually quite impressive, I didn't think there would be much fanfare to go see that?

I suspect its a lot less than they were planning on.

Team Jetfire
03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Ep 4-6 will make more.

Fortressmaximus
12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I went to go see it with my best friend on opening day we wited in line for a couple hours dont know how long we had gotten the best seats in the house becuase we were first in line personally i never saw episode one on the big screen till the re release i saw episode two and three on the big screen so i was happy about that