PDA

View Full Version : DragonBall Z gets a US Live Action Movie

Super PrimeZ
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
It Seems as though all those old rumors of FOX trying to make a DBZ movie is true. I just don't think it's going to turn out well. I really can't see anyone looking like Goku, the fight scenes are going to look really cheezey in Live Action, and in the span of three films a lot is going to be missing. I feel that the whole daizex.com group will shun this movie like they currently do to the DBZ Season Boxsets.
The 20th Century Fox studio is expected to shoot three big-budget movies in Montreal over the next year; each has a budget of at least $100 million. The films are the Night at the Museum sequel Another Night, Independence Day director Roland Emmerich's remake of the sci-fi flick Fantastic Voyage and a big-screen adaptation of the Japanese manga Dragonball Z.
Another Night is the follow-up to the family film directed by former Montrealer Shawn Levy, which grossed $250 million at the North American box office last year. Like the first film, the sequel will once again be set at New York's Museum of Natural History and will feature many of the same characters, including the nightwatchman played by Ben Stiller. Robin Williams, who played Theodore Roosevelt, is also expected to be back.
It is not known if Levy will direct Another Night. The screenplay was penned by Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon, the creators of Reno 911! and the screenwriters behind Balls of Fury.
The ironic twist for Montreal is that the first Night at the Museum was set to shoot here, and local crews had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars building sets at Mel's Cité du Cinéma studios. But the shoot was moved to Vancouver at the last minute to accommodate Stiller's schedule.
Emmerich, who shot the 2004 weather-gone-wacko epic The Day After Tomorrow in Montreal, will be back in town for Fantastic Voyage, an update of the 1966 film that starred Raquel Welch. It is about a scientist who is dying of a blood disorder. A group of his colleagues attempt to save him by being shrunk down, put in a miniature ship and injected into his bloodstream.
Emmerich's own company, Centropolis Entertainment, will be producing in partnership with James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment. Emmerich tried to make this film 10 years ago, but it didn't come to fruition.
Dragonball Z is adapted from the manga created by Akira Toriyama; the work was also turned into a Japanese anime series that played all over the world. It tells the story of an alien sent to destroy Earth, who has a change of heart and decides to join the humans in their fight against various aliens and bad guys.
There are no details yet as to when these three shoots will begin, but they are expected to wrap production by next July.
bkelly@thegazette.canwest.com

Source (http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=5d8321ec-4d55-40bd-ae6c-742949303ea9)

Ninjatron
09-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah. A lot of people are talking about this like it's some kind of big deal.

Come on. Give me a break. OF COURSE there's going to be a Dragon Ball Z movie. This should come as a surprise to no one. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that there wouldn't be.

Case in point: There is a movie called "The Brady Bunch". Do you all know what the Brady Bunch is? It's an old sitcom about 3 brothers and 3 sisters and their parents who marry. And they made a movie about that. So if such a film exists, then it simply stands to reason that it was only a matter of time before a movie based on Dragon Ball Z were to be made as well. In light of this reality, there needs to be a Dragon Ball Z movie for the world to continue to spin.

Of course the fights are going to look cheesy. Does anyone actually want them not to? It has to look that way in order to be faithful to the franchise. And if it's not faithful, then there is no bloody point.

So, I say, bring on Dragon Ball Z - The movie. It doesn't even matter if it's any good. Let's have it as cheesy as possible with insane martial arts, and crazy costumes. Then we can all watch it and move on with our lives knowing that it happened!

Sayonara.

ANDROID PRIME
09-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Case in point: There is a movie called "The Brady Bunch". Do you all know what the Brady Bunch is? It's an old sitcom about 3 brothers and 3 sisters and their parents who marry. And they made a movie about that. So if such a film exists, then it simply stands to reason that it was only a matter of time before a movie based on Dragon Ball Z were to be made as well.

lol yeah even that movie had a sequel

Robimus
09-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I think there already was a live action DBZ movie a few years back, kind of a B movie I'm sure but I did see a box for it once upon a time.

Ninjatron
09-02-2007, 01:15 AM
I think there already was a live action DBZ movie a few years back, kind of a B movie I'm sure but I did see a box for it once upon a time.
It was from Hong Kong, I believe. And it wasn't Dragon Ball Z. It was just Dragon Ball. With young Goku. I've never seen it, and I really aught to, but I doubt it really had that much to do with the anime.

Sayonara.

chisau
09-02-2007, 01:37 AM
They made Transfomers into a live action. and it wasn't half bad. I'm interested in seeing what they will do to DBZ. Alto i will be bringing my ear plugs. there was a lot of unnecessary yelling in the anime.

Dark Rage
09-02-2007, 01:42 AM
They made Transfomers into a live action. and it wasn't half bad. I'm interested in seeing what they will do to DBZ. Alto i will be bringing my ear plugs. there was a lot of unnecessary yelling in the anime.

If you hear an episode during an important fight and me trying to take a crap (with very little fibre in my diet lately), I don't think you'll be able to tell a difference which screaming you're hearing is the DBZ show.

I wouldn't pay for such a movie.

Aernaroth
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
The only thing about this that surprises me is that its happening now. We've been hearing about a "live action DBZ movie by fox" for... man, like 7 or 8 years now. Is DBZ even as popular as it used to be? I would have figured a Naruto or Bleach live action movie would have a lot more earning potential these days.

Now, am I interested? God no. Its a live action DBZ movie. I'm sure the writers are ecstatic about having 2 hours to fill with power-up screams and hateful staring though.

Oh, and the hong kong dragon ball movie? Cheesy as hell, but actually pretty entertaining.

Benzo
09-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I've been wanting them to make a DBZ movie ever since I've seen Kung Fu Hustle! I'm looking forward to it!