PDA

View Full Version : Maketoys Battle Tanker Pictorial Review

Super_Megatron
11-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Maketoys Battle Tanker Pictorial Review (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/maketoys-battle-tanker-pictorial-review-173797/)

Category: 3rd Party Unlicensed

Posted From: TFW2005.COM (http://www.tfw2005.com) - Transformers (http://www.tfw2005.com)

jjwankenobi
11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
You gotta take RTS G2 Prime apart and replace with some of the new parts???

Pass...I'm strictly a snap-on a la FP City Commander armour kinda guy.

Akroyer
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
You gotta take RTS G2 Prime apart and replace with some of the new parts???

Pass...I'm strictly a snap-on a la FP City Commander armour kinda guy.

Apparently you need to boil the head too. I'm not too keen on those points. The boil part particularly. Since I've had to use tools to upgrade my G1 Devi and Cliffjumper head swap and such that's not too too bad for the waist.

But I do have to say that the review has really shaken my 'Not really grabbing me' thoughts about this.

Battery pack and light up sword is cool, and it looks a lot nicer with the good quality pictures.

I may need to think more about this than I wanted :argh:

Still no PO up yet at the usual places. So we've got time. I'm in no hurry about it.

Pascal
11-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Looks fantastic. Mine should be here tomorrow, can't wait! I might get another United Prime just to have one with his normal head and waist as if they were 2 different molds...

UltraPrimal
11-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, the whole "boil the head" thing seems pretty scary to me. Especially since I can't boil an egg, let alone a head. :p

But I'll still get it. If BBTS or someone bothers to get a pre-order up! And it better come with that Drift sword. I've been ready to buy this thing since I first saw it. Not my problem if they don't bother to put out pre-order information.

racerguy76
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
The partswapping has not detered me, it still looks fantastic.

The waist will be simple enough and the head can be done without too much effort. I would suggest boiling the water and the soaking the head in a cup of said hot water to prevent heat damage. I wouldn't put the actual head in the pot while heating the water. Our water cooler makes hot water that is hot enough to expand parts for installation.

As a mechanic this is a very common practice when installing interference fit parts, of course most are metal parts and not plastic. I have a toaster oven and a slow cooker in my shop for doing just this.

UltraPrimal
11-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey! Pre-order is up on BBTS!
Link: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MKT10000&mode=retail

Fastest pre-ordering I've ever done. Now, where's the pre-order for Mastermind's Hexatron?!

Goaliebot
11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
So sold on this. Pre-pre-order email is in with Mario at Automaton.

I don't mind the parts swapping or head boiling at all, as I do a fair bit of kitbashing anyways.

razin
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Damn, it looks good. I have no desire to collect G2 stuff, but this is certainly tempting me. I did pick up RTS Prime last week too, hmmmm......

It's a great start for Maketoy, as Giant is looking amazing as well. The boiling head thing is not a big deal, 20-30s in the water won't hurt it.

FP has competition now!

Matrix_Holder
11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
I wish he posted pics of the part swapping process, but it still is a buy for me if it is not too pricey.

Akroyer
11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Hey! Pre-order is up on BBTS!
Link: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MKT10000&mode=retail

Fastest pre-ordering I've ever done. Now, where's the pre-order for Mastermind's Hexatron?!

And the price isn't as bad as I thought. I was reading $140 from some people there. Shipping included I imagine.

Yes, where is Hexatron.. :) I want a Sixshot and trying to decide to go G1 Vintage or with Hexatron instead.

Sun Swipe Prime
11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Not keen on the parts swapping but seems simple enough. Sold.... was that my wallet crying. :p

Tech Spec
11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
488 Tanker Kits fro preorder at BBTS

Goaliebot
11-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Problem with ordering anything over $100 from BBTS is the customs fees hit. That's why I tend to stick to Canadian online retailers for items over $100.

shockwing
11-21-2011, 05:09 PM
very nice, not looking to buy it unlease they make a dark/evil version

AUTOMATON
11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Preorders for this set are now opened at Automaton!
Special note: customers who already are on our special early waiting list don't have to place a preorder on Automaton...unless you want an extra set.

Thanks for your business!

Regards,
Mario

CyberMnky
11-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Special note: customers who already are on our special early waiting list don't have to place a preorder on Automaton...unless you want an extra set.

Regards,
Mario

And preordered with Mario and crew

Sun Swipe Prime
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Regards,
Mario

Am I blind? I can't seem to find it on the Automaton page.

Goaliebot
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Awesome, Mario!

Should it show up in my Pre-Order queue under "My Account"? Mine doesn't...

Goaliebot
11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Am I blind? I can't seem to find it on the Automaton page.

Click on "Transformers" in the lefthand links from the main page.

Sun Swipe Prime
11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Click on "Transformers" in the lefthand links from the main page.

Thanks... for some reason today I have sevear issues with doing the simple. I think think I'm just going to slip on a pair of depends, order a bucket of chicken, plop myself in front of the tv and call it a day for anything reselmbling thinking.

pandaprime
11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
And preordered with Mario and crew

ditto

Tech Spec
11-21-2011, 08:04 PM

Regards,
Mario

Thank you Mario!!!

Just switched from BBTS to Automaton :raisetheroof:

Goaliebot
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I think think I'm just going to slip on a pair of depends, order a bucket of chicken, plop myself in front of the tv and call it a day

Or as I call that: Friday Night. :raisetheroof:

Wheelie
11-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Maketoys Battle Tanker! (http://www.automatontoys.com/item.asp?noJouet=AUTbattleTankerMT) :raisetheroof:

I just pre-ordered one. Just a heads up for those that want one.

Matrix_Holder
11-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks Mario, I really appreciate the great extra customer service you provide us.

CBII
11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Removed statement since it was wrong....ignore at will.

Matrix_Holder
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
I am glad I emailed them right after he posted that he had a waiting list. I have been waiting for this set. I already have a spot set for him.

UltraMarknus
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Still waiting to see what Robot Kingdom's price will be. This thing is nice.

Goaliebot
11-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I am glad I emailed them right after he posted that he had a waiting list. I have been waiting for this set. I already have a spot set for him.

I too emailed a couple days ago and got a reply, but it isn't in my pre-orders list in my account. Is it in yours?

bedtime
11-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I too emailed a couple days ago and got a reply, but it isn't in my pre-orders list in my account. Is it in yours?

I got an email back from Mario about the pre-pre-order and it's not in mine on the site either... Hopefully all is well there!

AUTOMATON
11-21-2011, 11:49 PM
To all customers who are on the waiting list, your preorder for Battle Tanker will not appear in your account Preorder section. We have your preorders well noted and you are now guaranteed to have your set! WOOOT! :)

Thanks!
Mario

AUTOMATON
11-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Just to clarify: our early ''waiting list'' was not a waiting list per se: it was more intended as Pre-preorder if you will. Some kind of a early bird order for those who write to us to put a set on hold. :) It also permitted us to gauge the demand for the item.

AUTOMATON
11-21-2011, 11:59 PM
In short, I 100% confirm all the preorders for those of you who wrote to us for putting 1 (or more) set on hold on our list. We will send the invoice for the set towards the end of this week.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry for being off topic here.:o

Mario

jourdo
11-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Automaton OUT OF STOCK as of 7:45pm

I sure hope I'm on that special waiting list since I contacted Mario over a week ago about it.

fingers crossed

I just placed an preorder for one about 5 minutes ago.

CBII
11-22-2011, 01:10 AM
I just placed an preorder for one about 5 minutes ago.

Weirdest thing ever. I tried the preorder page several times and it said sold out. Now it's working...oh well.

Goaliebot
11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
You rock Mario, thanks! :)

Buhawi
11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
In short, I 100% confirm all the preorders for those of you who wrote to us for putting 1 (or more) set on hold on our list. We will send the invoice for the set towards the end of this week.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry for being off topic here.:o

Mario

Have I thanked you yet? Salamat = Thank you!

Mario = Best

AUTOMATON
11-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your kind words Automaton Toys! This is the true fuel that keeps us going on. :D

protoform_ironhide
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Apparently you need to boil the head too. I'm not too keen on those points. The boil part particularly. Since I've had to use tools to upgrade my G1 Devi and Cliffjumper head swap and such that's not too too bad for the waist.

Boil the head???? What is this all about? Is there more information u can share? I like how it looks from the photos. But why do u have to boil the head??

Bruticus82
11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Boil the head???? What is this all about? Is there more information u can share? I like how it looks from the photos. But why do u have to boil the head??

You put the original head in hot water to soften the plastic so you can pull the head off the balljoint, then you have to slide the new head on.

At least that's my understanding of it.

bedtime
11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
You put the original head in hot water to soften the plastic so you can pull the head off the balljoint, then you have to slide the new head on.

At least that's my understanding of it.

my impression was that you need to warm up the 3rd party head so that you wont snap the stem the ball joint is on...

protoform_ironhide
11-22-2011, 09:32 PM

At least that's my understanding of it. Doesn't sound very safe... So does that mean I cannot put the original back onto the figure???

Masta_Skidz
11-22-2011, 09:32 PM
my impression was that you need to warm up the 3rd party head so that you wont snap the stem the ball joint is on...

Mine as well as it seems they way he explains is that he tried to get it on with out boiling the head but was afraid of snapping the post. So inturn it seems the company made the head out of some serious hard plastic so maybe you need to just give a quick boil to loosen up the plastic for the quick second it needs to attach with this said that means OP will never loose this head lol

protoform_ironhide
11-22-2011, 09:37 PM
The battle tanker does look interesting, however it sounds like I need to watch or read a review before I jump on this just to be safe...

Pascal
11-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Mine as well as it seems they way he explains is that he tried to get it on with out boiling the head but was afraid of snapping the post. So inturn it seems the company made the head out of some serious hard plastic so maybe you need to just give a quick boil to loosen up the plastic for the quick second it needs to attach with this said that means OP will never loose this head lol

The guy who got his set before his didn't mention the problem though, so maybe it's not that bad. I'll let you guys know tomorrow...

chans formers
11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
^please do pascal,hopefully it's just a isolated incident and not widespread.
besides this review,i've never seen or heard of having to part swap or boil the head on this upgrade.(unless i missed something in the build ups/reveals of this upgrade:confused:)
the part swapping i don't mind at all.

UltraMarknus
11-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Instock at TFSource!

Ordered

chovner
11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Is it really cheaper to get this set from TFsource than from Automaton? I figured shipping would be a lot more from them.

chovner
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Hmmm just checked and I guess it is! Good thing we're splitting shipping from Automaton on a few of them, makes it cheaper that way. Where is TF Source located?

UltraMarknus
11-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Is it really cheaper to get this set from TFsource than from Automaton? I figured shipping would be a lot more from them.

Hmmm just checked and I guess it is! Good thing we're splitting shipping from Automaton on a few of them, makes it cheaper that way. Where is TF Source located?

A group buy may make things even out or MAYBE cheaper? But, when you have to add in taxes and the list price being higher to boot, TFSource always wins for me. If paying witha credit card, then with the exchange rate, it may even out as well. I pay everything with a PayPal balance though with is always 90% USD.

Their customer service and shipping quality is second to none.

Thy are located in Minneapolis.

Pascal
11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Okay, yes, the head can't be installed without putting it in boiling water for 30 seconds (that's in the instructions). Very easy to do. That said, I accidentally widened the hole a bit too much before checking the instructions (...) so the head pops off too easily now. Anyway, I think I'll keep the original head for now, it fits just as well. But if installed properly, pretty sure it will stay on perfectly.

UltraMarknus
11-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Okay, yes, the head can't be installed without putting it in boiling water for 30 seconds (that's in the instructions). Very easy to do. That said, I accidentally widened the hole a bit too much before checking the instructions (...) so the head pops off too easily now. Anyway, I think I'll keep the original head for now, it fits just as well. But if installed properly, pretty sure it will stay on perfectly.

Maybe put some crazy glue on the ball joint and work it around for a while. It worked wonders for my KO Wonderfest Prime and Fort Max storage door.

Sooooooo...is it awesome?

Pascal
11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I kinda rushed to get through all the modes but everything's looking good so far, plastic quality is very good. Basic armor is easy to put on, waist swap is very easy, trailer is slightly more difficult to transform but really not that much, it's just a matter of figuring out how all the joints work. Love the set!

Trailer mode with the United version of Prime looks killer with the darker colors.

STI 2NV
11-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Got my invoice from automaton toys just now!!!!

obakemono
11-23-2011, 05:37 PM
^pascal

quick question, on the tanker is the only signifigant red plastic on the sides? I'm considering the set but only if I can modify it to be scourge easily.

bedtime
11-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Got my invoice from automaton toys just now!!!!

Same here! Too bad I'm super broke for like two weeks!

Pascal
11-23-2011, 05:53 PM
^pascal

quick question, on the tanker is the only signifigant red plastic on the sides? I'm considering the set but only if I can modify it to be scourge easily.

Other than the forearms for the combined mode, yes. Those parts (molded in red) look like they can even be removed to be painted separately if needed.

obakemono
11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Other than the forearms for the combined mode, yes. Those parts (molded in red) look like they can even be removed to be painted separately if needed.

Perfect. Thanks, I'll probably dye them black.

jjwankenobi
11-23-2011, 06:30 PM
I kinda rushed to get through all the modes but everything's looking good so far, plastic quality is very good. Basic armor is easy to put on, waist swap is very easy, trailer is slightly more difficult to transform but really not that much, it's just a matter of figuring out how all the joints work. Love the set!

Trailer mode with the United version of Prime looks killer with the darker colors.

I have no interest in getting this but I'm looking forward to your "Quick" review, Pascal.

Bruticus82
11-23-2011, 07:18 PM
^pascal

I think a scourge version is a natural repaint choice for both Hasbro and maketoys - I would fall off my chair if they didn't make one.

Masta_Skidz
11-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I think a scourge version is a natural repaint choice for both Hasbro and maketoys - I would fall off my chair if they didn't make one.

If hasbro does it put one out it will probably be an exclusive of some sort

Matrix_Holder
11-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I think that is what this years big Botcon 1st ever update....he has never had one....the one from armada was nemesis prime so I think this is going to be scourge from the RTS Prime.

Matrix_Holder
11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
just got my invoice from Mario at Automaton, that was fast. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

pandaprime
11-23-2011, 09:27 PM
just got my invoice from Mario at Automaton, that was fast. Cannot wait to get my hands on it.

x2