PDA

View Full Version : gagagalvatron's nerd cave of wonders

gagagalvatron
11-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Video tour of my nerd cave:

http://youtu.be/i8F1VpMMADQ

Finally got all the display risers made (as mentioned in this thread (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=30750)) and everything (more or less) put into place. I should probably do pictures, but the room tends to be dark and doesn't lend itself well.

Apologies for the camera's Extreme Ceiling Shot about 3/4 of the way through -- I was holding an older camcorder that had a better light source, and it was about to time out.

Gaetznes
11-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Impressive......

Nomad
11-12-2011, 08:48 AM
See, this is what I need. Not so much moar transformers, but a better means of displaying them.

... not like I'd argue with having more toys, but you know. Speaking of which, how much are those tall/narrow glass cases anyway? I know they vary & that its prolly been answered 500 times elsewhere, but it seemed like something worth asking anyway.

bedtime
11-12-2011, 10:36 AM
NICE room. i one day hope my wife will allow me a room where i may set crap up like that. if you've got a wife, you are a lucky man (at least in that regard :D)

Bruticus82
11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
See, this is what I need. Not so much moar transformers, but a better means of displaying them.

... not like I'd argue with having more toys, but you know. Speaking of which, how much are those tall/narrow glass cases anyway? I know they vary & that its prolly been answered 500 times elsewhere, but it seemed like something worth asking anyway.

The Ikea detolfs sell for about $79.99.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Also popular are the Billy Bookcases, which will cost you $69.99 each, plus $60 each door for the two glass doors.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/83688210/

gagagalvatron
11-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Impressive......

Thank you.

And thanks for that. I worry that it's too busy. But I do know where everything is!

NICE room. i one day hope my wife will allow me a room where i may set crap up like that. if you've got a wife, you are a lucky man (at least in that regard :D)

I have a husband, but yeah, I'm lucky. It works out well for him, too, though. I sold him on the concept of having a dedicated room in the basement because that way they'd all be contained. Close the door and you'd never need to see it. He doesn't have to find TFs sprouting out of the woodwork or spreading like fungus and I have my own space. Win win.

The Ikea detolfs sell for about $79.99.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Those are Detolfs in the video. They are great cases. You might also check Kijiji -- I found a Detolf for $75 in my city, and another kind that was just a little too far away.

The black plastic shelving I used came from Costco and were $30 apiece. It's modular, which was perfect because the wall they're on has a low ceiling. I left one level off each shelf unit, which I then combined to make the small unit holding the DVDs and other stuff on the side of the room. They are not as nice as glass shelving, but they do get the job done.

I built the unit that holds my Alternators, big guys, and headmasters/targetmasters/combiners. I kept going back and forth wanting glass shelves and then one day I noticed a neighbor had thrown out three (what I'm guessing are) freezer shelves. They were cased in metal (which had corroded) but the glass was fine. I considered putting them right on the wall like floating shelves, but I wanted something freestanding since I knew we probably wouldn't be staying in this house for too many years.

It's just a few ticks above Homer Simpson levels of construction, but it gets the job done. The sides fade into the walls because they're painted the same color, and the stripes on the glass are pretty neat -- I knew the Alternators were going to end up there. Total cost was less than $30.

Nomad
11-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys. Also, I think Gaetz just convinced me to buy one of those cases in the morning, only to have me spend all my money on more toys. Guess they'll have to live on my desk for now. heh

bedtime
11-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I have a husband, but yeah, I'm lucky. It works out well for him, too, though. I sold him on the concept of having a dedicated room in the basement because that way they'd all be contained. Close the door and you'd never need to see it. He doesn't have to find TFs sprouting out of the woodwork or spreading like fungus and I have my own space. Win win.

ahh fuck me and my assumptions. i just got married myself and just got used to throwing the word wife around. my apologies! but yes, one day i too hope to own a house and when the time comes i think presenting the same idea may just work for me too.

Dragon Knight
11-13-2011, 01:32 PM
The Ikea Detolfs are expensive, but worth it. There's something about looking at toys through a class case that makes them feel more special.

I really should think about buying a new one, because the one I'm using right now is nearly full.

Akroyer
11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Looks good to me. I wish we had an extra room so it could be toys only.

Mighty_Galvatron
11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Very nice gagagalvatron! I like the way you chose to set it all up and divide it.

One question: Was there an Animated deluxe Cliffjumper in your Animated section? I can swear I see one there. If it is Cliffjumper, where is it from? I didn't know one existed outside of the activator version.

Tekkamanraiden
11-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Wow that's an impressive collection, nicely organized as well.

gagagalvatron
11-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks good to me. I wish we had an extra room so it could be toys only.

I'm enjoying it now, since I don't know how long I'll get to have one. We're probably going to move again next year. <shudder>

Very nice gagagalvatron! I like the way you chose to set it all up and divide it.

Thanks! I thought I would be able to move things around if it wasn't working, but either it works well enough or I'm lazy.

One question: Was there an Animated deluxe Cliffjumper in your Animated section? I can swear I see one there. If it is Cliffjumper, where is it from? I didn't know one existed outside of the activator version.

It's a Bee that I painted. You can tell from the head, which I meant to resize but forgot about.

My original Bee broke at an arm socket. I got a replacement, but then picked up a junker in a Value Village bag that had an undamaged arm. Not needing two bees, I made a Cliffjumper.

Wow that's an impressive collection, nicely organized as well.

Thanks!

juxtapose519
02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I love the shelf along the ceiling. Very boss. How many times have you tripped and stepped on the ones on the floor though?

Nomad
02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Well, they all seem to be well placed, so I don't think that'd be a problem. Could be wrong though hah.

vohkuhl
02-17-2012, 08:09 PM
As impressive as that collection was... What caught my eye was that closet/drawer, I just kept wondering what was inside haha

gagagalvatron
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
I love the shelf along the ceiling. Very boss. How many times have you tripped and stepped on the ones on the floor though?

None so far. It's really only in the corners and under the glass shelf, which juts out so far that it would impale me before I could step on anything.

As impressive as that collection was... What caught my eye was that closet/drawer, I just kept wondering what was inside haha

Mostly plastic containers full of instructions, weapons and accessories, and various sci-fi and anime DVDs.

You can never have too much storage.

Nomad
02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Either that or severed heads. Guess we'll never know...