PDA

View Full Version : KO Overlord! AKA Alpha Base Robot

trizeo
09-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Hey guys!

I'm not really a reviewer but I thought I'd share with you guys one of the bots in my collection that is easily one of my faves & one that really stands out and that I'd consider to be one of my "Holy Grails"

NOTE: you can skip my rant about how I aquired him & go to thoughts/review section.

I aquired him thru an ebay auction last year, @ the time I already had an Overlord but I came to love the mold so much that I wanted to aquire another one just for kicks as well as to see how it would look having all the weapons on him X 2!. In the search result one day I came across this guy! All it said was "KO Overlord Mint!" or something to that effect. It had pictures of the bot in the styro & that was it. So I do what I always do which is contact the seller & ask the condition of the bot. In the pic, which I never really gave it a thought, the head was turned around. So I couldn't see the head but after seeing the chrome I was already sold. So I won the auction & the wait began!

When I received him I was stupified! The freakin box was HUGE! The mail lady almost freakin slipped trying to get to the front of my work! ahahah! So after signing off saying I received the parcel I went to my office and felt like a lil' school girl! I was a dissapointed @ what the seller used to protect the package, he just used this cardboard colored wrapping paper which had rips exposing the item. Getting over it I then ripped it all off & looked @ the box... My heart kinda sank. The reason for it was for the first time I saw the head... it WASN'T Overlord's head! & I was like WTF! I proceeded to immediately go for the top part & as soon as I turned the head around.... again I was like ........ WTF! It's STAR SABERS HEAD! & his shoulders were Star Sabers as well. I sat down & I was like man.... what the heck did I purchase here... after pulling myself together I then inspected the toy & was the seller right........ it was MINT! @ that point my break was over so I had to get back to work & the rest of the inspection would have to wait until I get home. During lunch however I did some research, I came across an article written by DXcollections I believe? Anyways it was saying that this was a really good piece to own and that the quality of it was that of OL's himself. After reading that I felt better. Going home the first thing I did after kissing my wife & son was proceed to my room & really go over him. I was impressed, the quality was the same as OL's & this guy had CHROME! From that point on he has been my favorite Transformer! He even beats out good ol' OL!... not by much but it's the chrome that really pushes him past OL.

Onto the review/thoughts...

Box

This thing is HUGE! Has some cool looking art work of the fig and the alt modes with a base thingy in the background & some pics of power rangers? or something like that... I personally like the picture of the frog!

The box also has a carrying handle which I thought was cool. After opening the box you find the styro which houses the fig & a type of protecting cover which has windows wherein you can see the fig.

Removing that you then see where the extra pieces are & how the fig is packaged. Mine came with a sticker sheet that still had some stickers unapplied, a little instruction sheet and extra window for the tank... BONUS!

Figure(s) & accesories

The 2 antenae, missles, crane & rocket/radar (for the tank) are yellow, an off color but I guess being a KO you can't have everything. It's the exact same as OL's but yellow.

The dual laser (for the jet), BFG, tank gun, fins, laser (in the tank used in base mode) & ramps are all CHROME! which really is where this fig shines... O his feet & the antenae on his head to are also blingged out!

It also comes with the 2 "powermasters" which they kinda look goofy but so the same thing Gigs & Migs do for OL. They don't have the chrome like G & M do which would've been cool but again you can't have it all.... I leave them in their bot mode as I don't like the unsightly screw that shows on their back when their plugged in to the fig.

It also comes with the lil scout car which also is darker in color.

Jet & Tank

As I mentioned before the quality of these things are that of OL's. Real sturdy & has some heft to them, they do not feel cheap at all. I swear if I didn't know I would've assumed that it was made by Takara themselves, nice tight joints & all the clicky clicky one could handle. The colors are somewhat more "darker" than OL's which I like & it works for the guy.

Base Mode

The flaws here are the ramps don't really sit in the grooves as well as they do on OL's & the BFG doesn't plug in the back so I just kinda lean it up against the back which doesn't bother me really as it's CHROMED! sorry...

Which kinda led me to alternate his base mode which I like MUCH better than the official mode.
Alpha Base Robot... or as what I like to call him Lord Saber!

Again putting him together is the same as OL, everything goes in nice & tight & holds well together. Again I as I mentioned earlier in my rant, the major difference is the head sculpt & shoulders which doesn't bother me... I think it's kinda cool! I forgot to mention as well the chest panels.... you guessed it.... their CHROMED! Which as so much to me! Then by adding the BFG, dual laser & having him hold the tank gun as some sort of club... you have one seriously good looking bot!

Final Thoughts...

If your a fan of OL... you'll appreciate this guy. For me if I had to choose between Lord Saber & Overlord... Hands down it I'd pick Lord Saber!, I'd sell OL way before I'd sell this guy!

I highly recommend this fig to anyone who's a fan of OL, base bots, powermasters & KO's... If you have the chance to nab him I say do it! I haven't yet seen him come up on ebay or anywhere since I aquired him but he's out there & I say buy his CHROMED out A$$!

I'd like to take this time to apologize for over using the word Chrome in this review.... Sorry.... but I can't help it! he's so shinney...

Here are some pics of him... hope you all enjoy

trizeo
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
more pics

Echotransformer
09-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Other than via Ebay, do you happen to have any more information on how to obtain this guy? Was this recently KO'd or was this a 'Vintage KO'

I'd love to get one...

trizeo
09-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately no... I found this link AFTER I purchased him.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1988/alpha_base_robot

In the release date it says 1988? So it's a vintage release.