PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Optimus Prime. Your thoughts?

joshimus
07-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Ok, so I had a 100.00 gift certificate to TRU that I have been waiting to use for UOP and now that Ontario has him I picked him up...so he cost really 13.00 :) YAY!!
That said he's a peice of shit for the most part.
Cab is nothing new but considering this is ULTIMATE, his cab mode is smaller than Leader ROTF Prime and not as detailed. The trailer looks really nice...for the most part.
Prime on his own looks as bad as the voyager figure does if not worse...more worse imo actually and I really dislike the voyager Prime. Love his gun however.
Combined mode is esentially Power Master Optimus Prime with probably the same level of posability if you think about it, or at least might as well be. Looks kinda nice but is moreso a fail imo. A large toy like this should have been better engineered overall. I actually am considering cutting parts apart to give his combined mode posability and better aestetics...less paiint. Thinking about it anyway, not sure I give a crap enough to want to keep him to be honest. Hell, not like you can store anything IN the trailer.
This brings me to my BIGGEST gripe for this figure, the GIANT WASTE OF PLASTIC AND SPACE WEAPON. That is the fat on this toy that could have been resolved with something more simplistic, smaller, and given the trailer more use. I mean does Prime need a massive "I can barely hold this pointless weapon" weapon when he has mechtech ports that rival Energon Unicron? NO!!
Ditch the gun and lower the price. Honestly, I hate the mechtech shit as it is but Ultimate Prime blows the gimmick in an ultimate fashion by being so useless.

Anyway, overall not worth picking up, for 13.00 sure but i'd rather re-use the 100 for real toys than this. Then again, IF I can cut apart his trailer to still turn into a trailer and just attach armour ala Ginarai, I may do that. I haven't decided yet.

p.s. Laserbeak is kinda crappy too. I may cut away his alt mode a sleekify his bird mode.

Hantei
07-30-2011, 09:01 PM
That said he's a piece of shit for the most part.
Couldn't help but LOL at this, haha.

Prime on his own looks as bad as the voyager figure does if not worse...more worse imo actually and I really dislike the voyager Prime.
I'm assuming this isn't directed at the battle blade voyager Prime, I found him to be the most movie accurate of the bunch. I figured he'd look bad, the big bulky forearms and skinny legs they gave him looked awful in the promo photos.

Haha, I still kinda want one for the alt mode though. But I think I'm gonna wait till he goes on clearance come Christmas.

Pascal
07-30-2011, 10:28 PM
So you bought a toy that's been reviewed to death already and you're complaining it's a POS?

joshimus
07-31-2011, 12:30 AM
I haven't read reviews on him, just pictures. I was hoping he'd have more leg articulation but not surprised he doesn't. I was also hoping his trailer did more than just be a mech suit. I have better things to do than youtube toy reviews.

Yes I was talking about DOTM Voyager Prime and not the battle blade rotf one.

chovner
07-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Return him

pandaprime
07-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Return him
x2

CBII
07-31-2011, 03:03 AM
x2

X3

chovner
07-31-2011, 03:57 AM
x2x3... that's 6 times take him back..

darthrage
07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
thanks for helping me save $100

Alexander Quinn
07-31-2011, 09:20 AM
I want to pick him up, just not at Canadian Retail. There is no way I'm dropping $100 for that. I hate the over sized piece of mechtech garbage he comes with and probably won't even use it, but I actually think the Prime itself looks kinda fun to fiddle with (different at least) and the alt mode looks pretty slick. That said, I'll check out prices in the States or wait to see if he takes a price drop into clearance first.

gagagalvatron
07-31-2011, 09:52 AM
I intend on getting it, just not at $99. I'll wait for a sale.

I'm a sucker for the trailer combining with the figure. I'll probably be disappointed with articulation and the giant weapon, but the overall idea will make up for it. I hope.

Hobbyist Prime
07-31-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm picking him up the second I see him! Even if that means pushing kids out of the way! :P

Star 56
07-31-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm picking him up the second I see him! Even if that means pushing kids out of the way! :P

^This made my day thanks XD

UltraMarknus
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Saw Peaugh's review...loved him.

Saw him in person...noooot so much.

joshimus
07-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah I am gonna box him up shortly and return him. Not worth the time to attempt to customize plus i'd rather use the free money on something better.

CETERUS PRIME
07-31-2011, 03:20 PM
I haven't seen it in person, but I can already tell just by the reviews that I have hardly any interest in it. The SDCC version in truck mode with the cool looking sleeve looks nice, but that's about it for me. In robot mode, I would rather have 2 WalMart exclusive deluxes, it's that bad IMO, and having paid less for the Awesomest Buster Optimus Prime, I'm more than happy without this "Ultimate" version.

darthrage
07-31-2011, 03:22 PM
i'll wait for a sale and repaint him

Akroyer
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Zero interest here as well. Power Up ROTF Prime + Jetfire was Ultimate for me.

joshimus
07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm just disappointed that uop has as much articulation as powermaster prime. 20+ years and still no decent powerup prime. I took him back today. I think dual mode prime will suffice as my dotm prime.

Autovolt 127
07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm just disappointed that uop has as much articulation as powermaster prime. 20+ years and still no decent powerup prime. I took him back today. I think dual mode prime will suffice as my dotm prime.

RID and Cybertron Optimus Primes would like to have a word for.

Their great Primes, but i can understand your dissapointment with Ultimate Optimus Prime.

That is gonna shelfwarm at this rate and that price.

Team Jetfire
07-31-2011, 09:04 PM
I can't wait to hear your wording when returning him to the TRU people.

Seriously though, if you are dropping a c note on a toy, make sure you do so research. Toys R us is not a rental store.

Pascal
07-31-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm just disappointed that uop has as much articulation as powermaster prime.

PM Prime can't turn his head, can't bend at the elbows, can't move his arms in and out and can't rotate at the ankles. Not even mentionning the core robot can only move his foreams up and down, unlike this very well articulated version.

My own thoughts on the toy: f*ck accuracy, this is just a fun toy to play with. If I want accuracy, plenty of variations on the Leader and Voyager molds and I got them all already.

jackwacko
07-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Was turned off by the reviews, and then even more turned off when I visited the 7 Ultimate Primes at my local TRU... i'll admit, the flaming tampo on the box is kinda cool. I have never dropped a $100 for a single toy, but if I needed to get a small puppy sized Movie Toy i'd rather go for Supreme Devastator.

sikkbones
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Just wait for a sale see also battle ops bee, the leader class 70 dollar sucker for the kids, I got my son one when it was35 and then saw sellers had for 30 but yeah, I'm waiting for the movie to leave theatres and then walmart will have the saletru etc to clear stock, speaking of prime is the walmart exclusive voyager worth it if you have 2010 battle blades prime? I've been on the fence about getting my son get another prime as he has the 25th edition one and that's the defining prime, we have the g1 cartoon lol. Battle blades prime is away till xmas but have been thinking about getting him movie prime or am I just wasting money? Comettor looks cool

transforminator
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
reallly never got the feel for it and wont be getting it anytime soon...

sureshotsbabe
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
saw it today at cedebrae TRU. $99.99 not a chance.

CobraCommander
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
The SDCC version in truck mode with the cool looking sleeve looks nice, but that's about it for me.

This... nothing more.

I rather spend that money on the new Model Kit.

chamai
08-01-2011, 07:50 PM
my wife got me one a few days ago. i think it's cool due to its sheer size. it's not the nicest toy in the world and you can barely move joints, but if you are an optimus fan, you must have one of these. i remember other kids were looking at me and my wife when we were out the store. when you walk in the store and see a giant tf box, you just know you gotta have one.

joshimus
08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Team Jetfire, I told TRU the truth. I am disappointed with the toy and the fact the wings keep falling off. Wasn't a problem for me to return.

PM Prime can't turn his head, can't bend at the elbows, can't move his arms in and out and can't rotate at the ankles. Not even mentionning the core robot can only move his foreams up and down, unlike this very well articulated version.
First off I am talking about combined mode.
Comparing the 2 seperate bot modes isn't the issue as UOP obviously wins that one. Combined he barely passes it.
PM Primes head can turn, his arms rotate, his legs spread the same as UOP PLUS his trailer hatch opens and you can store shit in it. All I am saying is 23years ago this has been done and I love PM prime (first prime toy I got) but lets face it, there is no reason why this UOP is how it is.
Also if you break a bit off the bottom pipe attached to PM Primes smaller bot arms you can give him full 360 rotation in the arms.

Darth Cylon
08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
This may be my own fantasy but I wonder if the custom gods in Japan can use the Dual Mode Kit Optimus as the core body and combine it with the "Jetwing"

Pascal
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
PM Primes head can turn

You call that turning? I think it's more dislocating, as the head won't be aligned with the theoretical neck as you "turn" it...

joshimus
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
You call that turning? I think it's more dislocating, as the head won't be aligned with the theoretical neck as you "turn" it...
HAHA. Very true but still technically turns. You put that waste of plastic and electronics on UOP and his head doesn't turn...soooo...
Glad you like the figure but I just can't bring myself to like it and i'm glad I returned it.

Pascal
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I'll tie you to a chair and force you to love it. You'll see.

joshimus
08-02-2011, 05:21 PM
The problem is I already dislike the aesthetics of Primes robot mode and the combined mode kinda looks ok but still feels too brickish to justify. I mean G1 had an excuse. Hell Super Fire Convoy, though moving him around is crazy, still have the ability to do so. I think that instead of focusing on the weapon they could have made his armour detach from the trailer like Ginrai.

razin
08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I played with the one at the Hasbro table, meh. I bought the C-310 God Ginrai at the show, I like him better. Yup he's a brick but a fantastic brick, and sweet alt mode. And to what Pascal said, his arms actually do go outwards, powered up mode that is. Transformation allows for a shoulder joint essentially. Non powered up mode though is as useless as a tit on a nun, elbow joint, thats it.

Batman
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
The figure isn't really for me as a collector, but I know if I was 8 years old again, I would be loving the hell out of it.

razin
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
The figure isn't really for me as a collector, but I know if I was 8 years old again, I would be loving the hell out of it.

And really, isn't that point? Hasbro is selling to parents/kids, not collectors. This thing would be a dream to my 5 yr old. He's been going on about it since he saw it @ TFCon.

racerguy76
08-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Very true. I was in TRU yesterday and a 5 year old wanted Ulitmate Prime over a Leader Ironhide and 4 deluxes. His parents were trying to talk him out of it and they walked out of the store with Ultimate Prime.

It made me almost want to buy one so I can sell it back to the kid in 20 years. Almost.

CETERUS PRIME
08-02-2011, 07:11 PM
IF they had reused the Leader class ROTF Optimus Prime, gave him his newly found abs and made his trailer into the weapons arsenault base shown in the beginning of DOTM, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat !

Darth Cylon
08-02-2011, 07:24 PM
IF they had reused the Leader class ROTF Optimus Prime, gave him his newly found abs and made his trailer into the weapons arsenault base shown in the beginning of DOTM, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat !

If by "they" you meant Takara, DA-15 Jet Wing Optimus Prime in bot mode is exactly what you want.

CETERUS PRIME
08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
If by "they" you meant Takara, DA-15 Jet Wing Optimus Prime in bot mode is exactly what you want.

Yeah, but for $200 all in, the price is way out of wack ! I should have said at the same price as UOP with all the bells and whistles I mentioned previously ;) For now, I'm quite happy with my Buster Prime that I paid less than half the price of Jetwing. I'm interested in Takara's other Leader class DOTM figure, but it's not supposed to have the detail of Buster Prime, and it's still quite pricey. I'd say we'll eventually get a DOTM MasterPiece edition worth waiting for :primelaugh:

Pascal
08-02-2011, 09:00 PM

It'd be well over $200 though... Only Takara could produce such a thing.

Alexander Quinn
08-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Just picked one up today from TRU, and on sale at $70, I think he's pretty flippin' awesome. Nice alt mode that is big, but not too big. (I think a fuill scale Leader with a trailer would have just been overkill in the size department.) The Prime figure is a little goofy, but I kind of dig him for it. It's nice to have something a little different to put on my shelf of Optimus Primes. He's far better than any of the Voyager moulds I own (HFTD, TFTM and Animated) and is actually pretty posable. The combined mode is brickish, yes, but I've found that with the arm posability, the wings and the head, you can still vary him up enough to keep him interesting. The only real loss is the plastic turd-tech weapon he comes with, which is gallons of useless. Thankfully though, all of the electronics that usually ass up a large scale figure are inside of that, so most of the suck factor is contained and you can just pop it off and toss it to the side.

All in all, my only real gripe is the wheels not being painted, which I plan on fixing myself. It'd be nice if the whole trailer and the truck grill had some shiny silver on it as well, but with Hasbro's paint apps that's some serious stretching.

Worth $70 ($80 with tax), absolutely. Worth $100 ($113 with tax), ehhhhhh.

Hobbyist Prime
08-06-2011, 02:47 PM
^^ This 100%

justprime
08-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Just seen it at walmart 87.00 bucks wasn't impressed as the torso up look out of place (different scale?) looks cool as a truck/trailer biggest grip for me is still the heafty price (have to be nuts to spend 100.00 if thats what TRUis asking for this piece....60.00 max would have been prime.

The 12th Prime
08-06-2011, 03:37 PM
If you were someone lucky enough to pay only $13 for it then I'd drive over it in either mode while filming it and then upload the video to youtube :primelaugh:

malteselegacy
08-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I got one yesterday using the 30% off sale. I dont care for the robot mode but in truck/trailer mode it is awesome. The CSR at TRU said that all the kids bought this thing when it first came out but the collectors waited until they smelled a sale. Funny!

Gaming Turtle
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Honestly, I loved the combined mode, and I love the size. I have plenty of different Primes for posing. I bought this guy for the display, and because the 30% off.

justprime
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Just got in my jet wing prime today even being the rotf mold (probably why big H won't bring it here) it blows ultimate prime out of the water , wonder what this prime would look like with the DOTM trailer or if they will even be able to hook up as truck/trailer? jet wing is too cool with those big ass mini guns just prime.

Valfar
08-09-2011, 03:42 PM
The things that mainly stopped me from buying this was..

A) i have the DMK Prime and its not getting any better then that.

B) i hate that the wheels hang off the arms of Prime.

CTO15
08-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I would only want this so I could display it in truck mode. and it would have to have a crazy paint job.

BUT

only time that is happening is if it gets clearanced like crazy

Commandoclone87
08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
30% off at TRU.