PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Exclusive Deluxe Prime. Brief review

joshimus
07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Found this little guy and thought i'd do a quick review. I won't go into too many details and maybe i'll post pics at some point, but for now here is a basic review of the figure (found at Eastgate Mall Hamilton Walmart)

Truck mode is a truck. There really isn't anything more to say about this. It looks nice and looks like a truck. Pretty much all.

Robot mode: Ok, so few things I want to talk about this guy. For starters the transformation. Now, it's not so much that the figure is complex as it seriously isn't for both transformations, but what I am finding with DOTM figures is that they need to be too accurate when folding up. I guess to assure stability in alt form but to be honest they have too many pegs holding too many parts that connect to the same thing. It's my biggest gripe about the line and this isn't the first line to do that either. I have been considering cutting off the pegs just to eliminate that annoyance.
Overall the robot mode looks nice. I think the proportions are off as he has fairly long legs, about 3/4 longer that it should be, which makes his arms seem short when infact the arns are proportionate to the body. The accuracy of the movie design is meh but for a deluxe...no there really is no excuse. They've done better detailing on smaller figures.
The truck cab is essentially a chunk of plastic that forms a backpack that I find interfers with the aesthetic of the overall figure. He's lean, slender, pretty good overall look but then has this backpack that sticks out.

He has lots of articulation so you can give him some pretty nifty poses. I'll be honest, my few gripes aside I actually do like this figure. I didn't at first but i've been transforming him back and forward for awhile now and he's growing on me. It could have been better but it isn't bad either. Probably not worth full price imo but definetly worth picking up.

CETERUS PRIME
07-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Even with the chunky backpack, he's still wayyy better than the DOTM Voyager figure in both modes, more screen accurate, better paint apps, almost as big and half the price too !

racerguy76
07-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm really digging this guy too. The paint is nice, but the one I got has some very poor paint apps on the hood. It doesn't really change how I feel about the bot. He's quite posable.

I like the way the parts all have post that connect and hold them together tightly. It's a pita when painting or customizing, but I think it really helps hold the thing together. Sometimes they can be ridiculous tight the first few transforms.

Pascal
07-04-2011, 11:23 AM
If you forget about screen accuracy, it's a pretty good version of Optimus. Looks better than than the upcoming Prime Deluxe Optimus Prime to me.

Malwave
07-04-2011, 11:30 AM
welp, looks like I'll be buying him after all :p

CobraCommander
07-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Aside from backpack, it's nice. Also more to scale with Voyager Megs. I picked one up on sale using the Zellers flyer.