PDA

View Full Version : TF3 DotM NON-Spoiler Reviews

JLvatron
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
**NO PLOT SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE!!**

However, it's difficult to review without at least mentioning characters, screenplay design, wardrobe, ...

Review:
Saw the advance screening in costume last night!

TF3 was refreshing as it had the least amount of ‘Insanely stupid’ scenes of all 3 movies. Oh, it's there alright cause this is Michael Bay afterall. But the total duration was shorter, so less to endure. The movie was still the 'least Bad' of all 3. Only slightly.

But does this make it the 'Most Good'?

Story had some twists, which #1 hardly had. Either Bay was willing to script the story better than in #2, or the new writer did a good job. I'm guessing it was both.

The leading lady really had as much impact as Megan Fox did in the 1st movie. Very cookie-cut role; but with lesser clothing.
Much.
Sam's story was much better in #2, this time I found it kinda frustrating watching him, both script and just his situation.

While some Transformers got some good screen time, once again several other key characters felt ignored. Collective behaviours seemed out of character, but this is nothing new for Bay-verse Transformers.

While I enjoyed movies #1 & 2 in the cinema, but laster had to fast fwd through some scenes on dvd, #3 disappointed me by having several scenes that actually bored me while sitting in the theatre.
It seemed like the movie had advanced a level in quality, but they dragged the human scenes too long and this human emphasis felt like taking a step backwards, making it seem like they were running out of ideas.
A shame, really.

Viewers of the classic movie "Ernest Goes to Jail" may have the same reaction to the ending as TF3. 2 different endings, but similar direction to merit the same reaction.

Lots of homages to the original Transformers, just like in #2.
The 3D scenes were amazing (just little things like a forward panning landscape were fun to watch).

How does it compare to movies #1 & 3 overall?
Difficult to say. Many things were better. But many more things *shouldn't* have been as bad.
As we figured in our after-movie discussion, the dvd repeat viewing will have to answer this. If you can't endure it, maybe the fun was just on the big-screen 'candy excitement' & 3D Bay effects. Otherwise, maybe it'll hold up as the best of the 3-pack.

Either way, it's worth seeing, just for a fun blockbuster.

Comments and other reviews welcome, but please keep it NON-SPOILER

Aernaroth
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
In simple terms, if you liked ROTF, you will love DOTM. If you didn't, your mileage may vary, although DOTM is a much stronger film than ROTF.

Team Jetfire
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Glad to hear that it was not all together terrible and a step up from ROTF.

Ultra Maverick
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
the new character designs were nice (though there is one or two I have issues with) and the action though intensified was easier to follow this time around.

Definitley worth seeing for any fan mild to hardcore.

jjwankenobi
06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks!

Your review made me realize how effective the media and hype juggernaught has been in warping my perception that this movie will be bigger and better than Jesus.

I am now lowering my expectations accordingly.

So, if we are to apply the STAR WARS Prequel Measurement System against DotM, would you say this is the "Revenge of the Sith" of the trilogy?

Darth Cylon
06-28-2011, 01:05 PM
So, if we are to apply the STAR WARS Prequel Measurement System against DotM, would you say this is the "Revenge of the Sith" of the trilogy?

Which is worse? Attack of The Clones or Revenge of The Fallen?:rofl:

Super_Megatron
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
I had the opportunity to attend an advance screening of Transformers Dark of the Moon last night in Toronto thanks to the fine folks at Paramount. I do want everyone to know it is so much better than Revenge of the Fallen and worth seeing in 3D. I came out of ROTF disappointed with so many aspects of that film, to the degree that it gave me a long lasting disinterest in Transformers collecting after 10 years. DOTM made me care about the Movieverse again. It was a solid movie. Not because it was about Transformers, but because it was well done.

The first Transformers movie left a feeling of awe for many of us in seeing our childhood brought to life in the live action movie environment. The sequel disappointed alot of people including myself. This third film in the trilogy does a great job of finishing the story in a way that left me satisfied.

One of the things that jumped out at me while I was watching Dark of the Moon was the contrasts in some of the aspects of this film and Revenge of the Fallen. Take Sam's new love interest Carly for example. Her personality is so much more positive than Mikaela was, and I thought it helped reflect a change in the direction of this movie. (It doesn't hurt that she is better looking) The new human characters had excellent character development. Patrick Dempsey's character was a good. Sam's parents once again had some well delivered one liners that will make you laugh out loud. John Malkovich's character steals the scene in his introduction. Former Agent Seymour Simmons's charcter wasn't as annoying this time around, and Frances McDormand was believable as the Secretary of Defence. Alan Tudyk was great, he delivered some great scenes. Shia LaBeouf once again did a good job keeping us involved in the story.

Leonard Nimoy was a great casting voice for Sentinel Prime. His distinctive voice returning to the Transformers franchise after 25 years was great timing and felt right.

Vain
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Nice review, all I need to know is wheather or not the wreckers get a "good" ammount of screen time.

Cheers Ian
06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
^Depends how much time you consider "good".

They are VERY cool though.

JLvatron
06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Glad to hear that it was not all together terrible and a step up from ROTF.

Er, stepped with a catch.
It's not like some aspects were stepped up while others were not.

It's more like all aspects were stepped up, then they purposely stepped back some aspects just to disappoint you.

But in 3D & big screen, it's still a whole latta fun.

JLvatron
06-28-2011, 02:38 PM

I found Revenge o Sith excrutiatingly predictable, and the main Anakin switch story was inadequate.

In that aspect, I can't say DotM is that bad.
But it is still a Michael Bay movie so there's a limit of how good it's allowed to be by design.

Former Agent Seymour Simmons's charcter wasn't as annoying this time around, and Frances McDormand was believable as the Secretary of Defence.

I agree, he greatly improved; I actually found myself liking him! :D
Ya, the defence lady came across as a typical arrogant antagonist, but they justified alot of her stances. A well written character by suprise.

jjwankenobi
06-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Which is worse? Attack of The Clones or Revenge of The Fallen?:rofl:

Attack of the Clones, thanks to the ridiculous romance subplot and poor direction of actors on Lucas' part.

I found Revenge o Sith excrutiatingly predictable, and the main Anakin switch story was inadequate.

Agreed, but my question was more "Is Dark of the Moon the best of the Bayverse Trilogy?", much like it is generally agreed that RotS was the best of the Prequels (which is like rating the best shaped turds in your toilet) ;).

Not having seen DotM I'll play devil's advocate and say TF1 is perhaps the best in terms of the whole film being a well rounded combo of decent acting, story, effects, editing, etc.

I secretly hope to be able to retract that statement after I see DotM this weekend.

jourdo
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
For those who have seen it: How is it for language & "scary" parts?

I want to take my little guy, but want to know how appropriate it is.

chans formers
06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
^i wouldn't take him to see it just yet.there's a few pretty brutal parts in there......

Black Cat
06-28-2011, 06:33 PM
^^ Agreed. There's some swearing, and the fight and death scenes would be too much to take for a little one.

As for the quality of the movie, it was amazing. Sure, there are some plot holes, but overall, there really isn't much one can complain about. The CG was done VERY well, Carly is such a good character (she can do more than scream Sam's name), and character development finally came around, after the disaster that was ROTF.

Well worth it to see this movie. I didn't have high expectations going in, and it blew my mind.

Nightscrabbler
06-28-2011, 08:43 PM
here's my review: http://donmurphy.net/board/showpost.php?p=1484594&postcount=605

Nightscrabbler
06-28-2011, 08:46 PM
JL, Super Megs, I agree with your assessments of the film pretty much.

Bountyan
06-28-2011, 09:54 PM
here's my review: http://donmurphy.net/board/showpost.php?p=1484594&postcount=605

I can't see it. I really hate forums where you have to register to see the majority of the boards.

Nightscrabbler
06-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I can't see it. I really hate forums where you have to register to see the majority of the boards.

Oh, I forgot about that, thanks. I've moved it to the spoiler review thread as requested:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showpost.php?p=349991&postcount=21

Black Cat
06-28-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't think we were watching the same movie.

JLvatron
06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Shan, your review is full of spoilers.
Why don't you move it to the Spoiler thread?

p.s. I agree with alot of what you said, but not to the extent. Nice review!

Nightscrabbler
06-28-2011, 11:10 PM
You think those are spoilers? I think it's too vague to count as spoilers. I don't see what info there could spoil a scene for a person, just shift their expectations perhaps. edit: moved it.

JLvatron
06-29-2011, 08:53 AM
1 in particular involved a major plot twist.
Thanks Shan.

And I apologize for my subject typo.
It shall haunt me.

Team Jetfire
06-29-2011, 11:17 AM
1 in particular involved a major plot twist.
Thanks Shan.

And I apologize for my subject typo.
It shall haunt me.

Fixed ;)

JLvatron
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Fixed ;)

Thanks so much, dude!! :)
I can breathe easier!

JLvatron
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Agreed, but my question was more "Is Dark of the Moon the best of the Bayverse Trilogy?", much like it is generally agreed that RotS was the best of the Prequels (which is like rating the best shaped turds in your toilet) ;).

Not having seen DotM I'll play devil's advocate and say TF1 is perhaps the best in terms of the whole film being a well rounded combo of decent acting, story, effects, editing, etc.

I found RotS to be the worst of the Trilogy, too predictable and terrible Anakin story plus Portman lost all acting skills.

I see 3 different results for the 'best of Trilogy' winners:

1- DotM=best -Most people will prolly say this right now because general disappointment with RotF, coherent screenplay, plus the awesome 3D fun.

2- #1 =best -When the smoke settles and all 3 movies are on DVD and DotM's hype-high is over, I see the public basing this on story.
All 3 being Bay movies means poor story. Since #1 was an introduction, alot of intros just default into 'story', so this'll be seen to have the most in the films.

I've had 2 days to think about this last 1:

3- RotF =best -Generally agreed to have had the stupidest scenes and worst screenplay, how was the actual story? Concentrating just on this, the main character (Sam) has his greatest journey and epic soul moments.
Sam's judgement and ascension to the Chamber of Primes moved me the most emotionally; I said "Matrix!" more times in this film than in #1 or 3, so RotF has to be my favorite of the trilogy.

'Till All are 1! :)

jacobot
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Movie - Excellent. Lots of bot time :)

3D - is a cash grab. After all the talk of special 3D tech and James Cameron blah blah blah. The only thing that even looked remotely like it was jumping off the screen was Sam swinging around on a grapling rope. We went and watched the second half again on a regular screen next door and it was so much clearer and easier on the eyes than that 3D scam.

soundwaveCA
06-29-2011, 10:22 PM
The good:

- Best 3D visuals to date
- First hour 1/2
- Decent humor this time
- Not ROTF

The bad:

- Last hour clubs you over the head with samey action I don't care about to the point were I actually got bored.
- No Decepticon characterization, hard to care about what's going on when allbthe Decepticons are mindless drones.
- Rosie Huntington Whiteley

UltraPrimal
06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
My review:

SPOILERS!

IT WAS AWESOME!!

CobraCommander
06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
The only thing that even looked remotely like it was jumping off the screen was Sam swinging around on a grapling rope.

I found Carly's checks to pop out at me :D

chaingunsofdoom
06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
3D - is a cash grab. After all the talk of special 3D tech and James Cameron blah blah blah. The only thing that even looked remotely like it was jumping off the screen was Sam swinging around on a grappling rope.

No complaints about the movie's 3D here. I saw it in IMAX though, back row center (AKA position "A"). It was just as well-done as Avatar, which everyone pegs at #1.

Sokar
07-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Overall, I thought the first half hour was great. It really had me thinking that this would be the best of the three.

Then it just fell off the rails for me. It's like the first and second halves of the movie were written by different people, and the second writer was an idiot. A lot of the characterization of the characters from not just G1, but from the previous 2 Bayformers movies themselves seems to get tossed out the window and they just sort of play roulette with the characters personalities and fates.

Even the overarching plot, which is ultimately a rip off in many ways of one of the earlier G1 episodes, seems to purposely spit in the face of the original episode.

I know this will make money, and I know some people will love it. It's probably a good film for those who have not spent their lives watching Transformers and would know that the characterization seemed way off in the second part, but for me, it just seemed to get really good, then turn into a total clusterfu... (Brains was awesome though)

Don't get me wrong. I would say go see it and judge for yourself. There was a lot done right (almost no sexual/racist humor, good characterization in the first half, decent 3d effects, surprisingly strong performances by the human characters, Sentinel was great I thought). It's just that for me, it really messed up on some parts as well.

Basically, I'd give the first half 9/10 and the second half 4/10

(I would also have given tftm about 8/10 and rotf 6.5/10)

JLvatron
07-02-2011, 12:04 PM
(almost no sexual/racist humor,

I heard 'almost'. :D

chaingunsofdoom
07-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Saw it for second time yesterday. Comparing IMAX 3D to AVX 3D: IMAX picture was better/brighter. Sound was supposed to be 7.1 in AVX but it was only noticeable in a handful of spots. For the extra dollar I'd recommend IMAX over AVX. Only difference for AVX is the reserved seating, which I wish they'd add to IMAX.

Slave
07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
My only problem with the movie is that it took Comic book elements, stuffed it in the movie, but didnt explained it... its cool I read the comics, but people who didnt read the comics might've been losta bit... like BRain... WTF did he came from? well, it's in the comics...

jacobot
07-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Ok, saw it again yesterday in 3D at a different theater. The first bits on Cybertron and the moon landing had multiple levels of depth but after that it was hit and miss post production. Except for a few spots were Sam's image jumps or swings out at us I start to wonder why I'm wearing the glasses. I swear they forgot to cut out Prime's shotgun casing that should have jumped out off the screen. I'll try IMAX next and see if the brighter bigger screen helps ;)