PDA

View Full Version : TFCON any good for G1 MISB purchases?

killer_tofu
07-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi folks,

First-time poster!

I've never been to TFCON (or any conferences ever for that matter). What's there to do at TFCON?

More specifically, I'm looking to start building a G1 MISB collection. Is the TFCON a good place to acquire authentic (i.e. no knockoff) pieces?

I'm tired of sifting through eBay and it's 200 postings selling knock-offs of Swoop, Grimlock, and Devastator.

Does anyone know of any website/article that talks about collecting G1 Transformers?

Thanks!

killer_tofu

Aernaroth
07-26-2007, 03:05 PM
TFCon is a GREAT place to pick up G1 MISB items. There's tons of dealers that sell them, and a couple that, from the looks of it, specialized in MISB stuff. There was tons of other great stuff for sale too, if you're interested in expanding your TF collection beyond MISB and/or G1.

What's there to do? Well, besides the huge transformers dealer room (the largest of its kind in Canada), there's panels, guest voice actors and comic personalities, trivia contests, an art contest, and an opportunity to meet a bunch of great new people with the same hobby as you.

There are a lot of websites that talk about transformers, and this includes a lot of people who collect, from G1 to the movie toys. Each collector is different, some focus on G1, some are completionists, some are only interested in really rare ones. As far as I know, Cybertron.ca is the best site with a Canadian focus, but check out other sites like www.tfw2005.com as well.

Also, don't knock knockoffs and bootlegs. You can find some really interesting stuff, like a micromaster scale bruticus, or japanese exclusive stuff like star saber. They're also great for kitbashing.

killer_tofu
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm in Montreal, so it would make a great roadtrip next year come TFCon time. How long does it last anyway?

Are prices of MISB dealers typically inflated, or are they at least reasonable? By reasonable, I mean between $1-2K for MISB.

I'm pretty much a TF G1 snob (hate to admit it). I grew up on the classics, tore up all my G1 toys, regretted it for the past 10 years, and want to start up again (only G1's).

I have nothing against knockoffs... in fact, my friend has a great Devastator knockoff set that transformers great! For collectibility though, I would only be willing to buy authentic MISB. It just got frustrating shopping on eBay for MISB Swoop's that look great, but deep inside I knew weren't made in 1984 (or 85... forgot the year Swoop was manufactured. :P)

Maybe I'll buy a loose knockoff to complement an authentic MISB. :D

Thanks again,

killer_tofu

Dave-astator
07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
All that I have left is a MISB Splashdown.

I also have MOSC Action Masters Inferno, Skyfall, and Jazz.

Autovolt 127
07-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I got to next year.:cool: :)

JLvatron
07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Great answer Aernaroth.

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm in Montreal, so it would make a great roadtrip next year come TFCon time. How long does it last anyway?

I'm pretty much a TF G1 snob (hate to admit it). I grew up on the classics, tore up all my G1 toys,

I'm from Montreal and it takes about 5.5 hours driving there, including time to stop in Belleville for gas, food court, and Toys R Us at the mall.:cool:

Recent TFcons have lasted 1.5 days, which equals a TOTAL Blast!:) :
Friday evening from 6 to 11 pm, and Saturday from 7:30 am to about 6 pm.

You tore up your G1 toys? :confused:
Er, you may need to find dealers without moral clauses preventing them from selling to Transformers tear-uppers.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
07-28-2007, 12:01 AM
From my one experience this year it is a great place for mib, and to some degree misb. There wasn't a ton of stuff misb. One guy had the original season cars c9-10 for $650-800 each. I found mib (and everything) to be a bit expensive from the 'dealers' (about 30-40% more than what they should cost), but some of the other tables had people selling personal collections, with better deals to be found there. The benefit of going is that you can see and examine your item before unloading a ton of cash on it, so that alone might be worth a bit more $ for mib and misb.

And to each their own, but there's no reason you have to like knockoffs.

Dave-astator
07-28-2007, 08:01 AM
And at TFCON, like previously mentioned that you can examine the merchandise for yourself, you also save a fortune on shipping costs!!

Mega_Zarak
07-28-2007, 09:42 AM
I agree that it's good thing to examine the items before buying, but I strongly believe Ebay is still the best option. You just have to be patient and have a little bit of luck. I owned a few MISB g1 transformers over the past years, all Ebay purchases and without question all steals. Believe or not my last MISB G1 transformer was a MISB red cross pre-rub Ratchet, no flap crease for 20$ (+10 shipping). Only at Ebay you'll find those kinds of deals

JLvatron
07-28-2007, 10:31 AM
You just have to be patient and have a little bit of luck.

Sounds like you had a little Energon cubes, and ALOT of luck!

CobraCommander
07-30-2007, 06:25 AM

LOL :D

All this talk has got me curious, can't wait for this TFCON to roll around again.

killer_tofu
07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your all your insights, folks. Very much appreciated! Can't wait until next year's TFCON!!! Better start saving up... :P

I'm from Montreal ... Recent TFcons have lasted 1.5 days, which equals a TOTAL Blast! ...
You tore up your G1 toys? :confused:
Er, you may need to find dealers without moral clauses preventing them from selling to Transformers tear-uppers.

Nice... so I'm NOT crazy for thinking about driving to TO just to attend the TFCON (maybe I'll convince the gf to tag along for the good food too).

Yes... I believe I'll just have to hide my dark past. Nobody shall ever know I took apart Optimus, Hot Rod, Grimlock and Slag when I was younger and threw them away afterwards... :eek:

And at TFCON, like previously mentioned that you can examine the merchandise for yourself, you also save a fortune on shipping costs!!

True... Never thought about this. I could be saving a ton on shipping/duties if I bought from outside of eBay. I don't know if I'd personally spot a fake, but at least I could see it before buying. Anyone have any tips on spotting fake G1's?

Nothing against eBay though. Love the place!

Thanks again folks. Tried to go to ToysRUs and find some TF Classics, but nothing left... :( Is it still possible to purchase Masterpiece collections via retail?

killer_tofu

Dave-astator
07-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Booo-urns!!

JLvatron
07-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Booo-urns!!

You must be referring to spooky witches like Sabrina.
...in which case, she sooo wanted me.:cool:

dankir
09-05-2007, 05:21 PM
this is my first time going to a convention of this size so I figure this is the best place to a G1 boxed collection, I don't really care about the toys being MISB those are probably out of my price range anyways. How good of a chance do I have at finding a Shockwave for example with most of the accessories and the box in reasonable shape. Same for Octane, some of the Combiner giftsets or individual toys and just g1 toys in general. Anybody have any basic price ranges?

thanks

Aernaroth
09-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Anyone have any tips on spotting fake G1's?

All the dealers Ive seen have been pretty good about telling you when something's a knockoff or whatever, but look for maker marks, or if you're not sure, ask someone else who might know. And yeah, usually dealers will let you check out the merch, assuming its not too fragile. Just remember, if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.