PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Prime Episode 10!! [SPOILERS]

Iacon
03-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Transformers: Prime Episode 10- "Deus Ex Machina"

Hot damn!! I am now officially a huge fan of this show. It really is starting to feel a lot like the first season of BW... heck, if the various plot threads (Mech, Megatron's recovery, Decepticons in stasis on Earth, artifacts built by ancient Autobots...) actually start to intertwine, this could actually start to approach the brilliance of Beast Wars Season *2* or even Animated Season 3... I'm actually liking it much more than I did Animated (or at least more quickly-- I was still only sorta jazzed about Animated by Ep 10... wasn't 'til the S1 finale that I really started to see some potential)... though a lot of that may be due to TF:P being a lot prettier to look at...

... hurrr... little disappointed that TF:P Breakdown is basically the complete *opposite* of G1 Breakdown. That said, it is kinda nice that they at least acknowledged there *was* a G1 Breakdown by giving this guy the same red face/blue crest combo. And to be fair, G1 BD is a pretty obscure character, regardless of my obsession with him. Kinda miss the double entendre usage of the name (i.e. a 'Con prone to both engine breakdowns and nervous breakdowns), but I guess it sorta fits a badass ATV dude, in the sense of literally breaking slag down (like, with violence n' crap). And when the characters are so vivid, in their own right, I don't mind name recycling with only tangential relevance to the original character... sorta like how the BW and G1 versions of Rampage, Silverbolt, Scorponok and Inferno are each such distinct and well-developed characters that I often forget that they share the same name... (alright, alright, G1 Rampage is not even close to well-developed, in either continuity)

... by the same token, I'm less miffed about Knock Out not bearing any resemble to the member of the Decepticon Constructor Squad... *although*, he *is* a builder of sorts... and they both have lightly-coloured faceplates... nahhh... well, maybe...? In any case, he's already an awesome character. What if Sunstreaker was an actual Decepticon, instead of an Autobot with some 'Conish edge to 'im? Well, you'd have Knock Out. Plus the Energon trident (a Bayverse Terradive reference, perhaps?) is hella kewl. Plus, you've got the tag-team effect of KO knocking a 'Bot out with the trident so Breakdown can finish him off with his retractable hammer (also kewl). Okay, the names make a lot more sense to me now... :-)

Waitaminnit... two dudes that travel in a pair... synchronized attack formations... near-telepathic report ("Fight?" "Drive.")... one butch and one femme... holy smokes, Breakdown and Knock Out are the first-ever Decepticon gay couple!!! (well... who aren't named "Megatron and Starscream", that is) That's slaggin' GENIUS!

Also dig how KO's rear-mounted wheels actually rotate a bit whenever he moves in robot mode. That's just such a tasty level of attention to detail...

In other news, I'm really digging Miko as a character now. She's like a less annoying Sari with decent taste in music (sorry folks, but Sari really kinda got on my nerves... she kinda stopped being believable kid about halfway through Season 2... 'course, that may be because she wasn't a kid at all... which didn't turn out nearly as interesting as it should have, really), and her relationship with Bulkhead is great (really, that college argument actually has some major educational value for adolescent viewers who are likely to have that exact same clash with their folks in a couple years). Jack and Arcee are still a more... ahem... *intriguing* combo, but Bulkhead/Miko are catching up... sort of like Carly and Ironhide with some edge...

Quote of the ep- "I hate talking to machines..." - Ratchet, heheh... 'cause, y'see, whenever he talks to another Autobot... heh... he's technically, like... ahhhh, fergetit...

J (still hoping for Skyquake to return and really turn the tides in the 'Cons favour for a big season finale blow-out... anyone know if this is a 13- or 26-episode season...?)

Stapler
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Is it me or did Knock Out and Breakdown come off as older, more competent versions of Ransack and Crumplezone?

shockwing
03-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Knockout and Breakdown remind me: Army of TWO, love the design on them, can not wait to see more figures. Also was a Bulkhead spotlight episode

nukedproducts
03-12-2011, 01:23 AM
knock out seemed a little... gay. but he was awesome and so was breakdown.

shockwing
03-12-2011, 02:03 AM
knock out seemed a little... gay. but he was awesome and so was breakdown.
more of a hip latin ninja then a homo....wait what?

UltraPrimal
03-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Knock Out: the Tracks of the Decepticons.

Also was anyone concerned though out the episode that Miko left her cell phone in the museum? I'm sure that thing probably has lots of photo of the Autobots on there. Which would have spelled big trouble if it fell into the wrong hands. I'm glad at the end they tied that up. It would have left a huge plot hole.

Another awesome Prime episode.

ConvoyGTR
03-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Knock Down seems gay? Really? I thought he was so awesome and became a big fan of the character as soon as he talked. Already, he is one of my favorite Cons all time. Does that make me gay?

Best ep so far! Now this is the stuff I want to see: interesting characters, interesting characters who don't die or leave before the end of the ep, and a good mix of action or scenes from pretty much the entire cast.

Nitpicks:
1) Miko's only use is that she has a cell phone.
2) Ralph's only use is that he knows how to use Google.
3) Bulkhead is codependent and probably is the same way for Arcee and Bumblebee to some degree.

I find it hard to believe Transformers don't have camera components of some sort on them or is not able to access the Internet. But, I guess those are a good enough excuse to have humans around and legitimize having them in the base, other than this being kinda of a witness protection program...

Minor complaints to the show in general.

And I love Ratchet's line "I hate talking to machines!" He is so awesome :)

Goji_tron
03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I like it that Breakdown and Knock-out survived their debut episodes unlike Cliffjumper, Skyquake, and Makeshift. I hope that they remain permanent members of the cast unless the writers replace them with other better Decepticons like Onslaught and Black Out. Now the numbers between Autobots and Decepticons are even, even though Megatron is still in a hospital bed.

I feel a bit sorry for that Decepticon drone being used as a guinea pig for Starscream's usage of the harvestor. It makes you wonder how some Decepticons put up with Starscream's command and treatment? Probably because Starscream is the only acting commander around on his ship until Megatron recovers. Wonder who is the better leader in treatment of his troops, Starscream or Megatron?

I wonder how many Decepticon drones are on that ship seeing as how their numbers keep dying? They keep getting frequent reinforcements?

The episode is good anyway. Seeing some more character development of human characters, especially Miko. Bulkhead and the Decepticons show good character development too. Bulkhead was epic.

Hound
03-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Also was anyone concerned though out the episode that Miko left her cell phone in the museum?
Agent Fowler gave Miko her phone when he took her from the security guard.

But the biggest question for me is - did the harvester's explosion just create the constructicons?

Stapler
03-12-2011, 05:33 PM
But the biggest question for me is - did the harvester's explosion just create the constructicons?

Holy cow! I think you may be onto something!

Autovolt 127
03-13-2011, 07:07 AM
I love knockout and breakdown. Their the new Lugnut and Blitzwing,

Goji_tron
03-13-2011, 01:12 PM
I love knockout and breakdown. Their the new Lugnut and Blitzwing,

Except neither of them are crazy.

Autovolt 127
03-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Except neither of them are crazy.

YET!

Iacon
03-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Knock Down seems gay? Really? I thought he was so awesome and became a big fan of the character as soon as he talked. Already, he is one of my favorite Cons all time. Does that make me gay?

No more than listening to Elton John or R.E.M. would... ;)

In any case, can't he be awesome *and* gay? Although yeah, he could just be a dandy. Well, let's just say Knock Out and Breakdown are at the same level of gayness as Tracks and Raoul and leave it at that... :innocent:

And I love Ratchet's line "I hate talking to machines!" He is so awesome :)

Yeah, I'm finally starting to warm to him as a character. He really is the first out-and-out, unapologetic *douchebag* Ratchet we've gotten. Although, the fact that he was already whipping up a replica harvester to rescue Miko *before* anybody asked him to does kinda suggest he has a squishy centre underneath all that bile... <sigh>...

J (oh well, at least he's still ~95% jackhole... that's still an astoundingly high jackhole quotient for an Autobot)

Iacon
03-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Holy cow! I think you may be onto something!

Yeah, I didn't notice that-- that *would* be pretty bitching. Maybe we'd actually get toys of them this time around... grrrr... still haven't fully forgiven Hasbro for that...

But do we have any reason to expect the Harvester to actually be able to create new sparks like the AllSpark fragments from Animated? I might have missed some of the technobabble, but I thought it just sucked up and stored Energon...?

J

Hound
03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
But do we have any reason to expect the Harvester to actually be able to create new sparks like the AllSpark fragments from Animated? I might have missed some of the technobabble, but I thought it just sucked up and stored Energon...?

J
Nothing was said specifically. The thought entered my mind simply because there were construction vehicles (in a world where nothing else seems to appear ;) ) and that some of the energon harvested was 'life'. The Harvester's explosion was rather different as well; instead of an explosion like a fireball it appeared more like a release of energy.

Just call me optimistic.

I am really enjoying this series though. Ya, I'd like to see some things done a little differently, but there is so much this one is doing well.

Goji_tron
03-14-2011, 07:07 PM
No more than listening to Elton John or R.E.M. would... ;)

In any case, can't he be awesome *and* gay? Although yeah, he could just be a dandy. Well, let's just say Knock Out and Breakdown are at the same level of gayness as Tracks and Raoul and leave it at that... :innocent:

Yeah, I'm finally starting to warm to him as a character. He really is the first out-and-out, unapologetic *douchebag* Ratchet we've gotten. Although, the fact that he was already whipping up a replica harvester to rescue Miko *before* anybody asked him to does kinda suggest he has a squishy centre underneath all that bile... <sigh>...

J (oh well, at least he's still ~95% jackhole... that's still an astoundingly high jackhole quotient for an Autobot)

Tracks and Raoul gay? Never noticed that.

Well at least Ratchet is not a complete organic phobic bot like Sentinel Prime. Right?

Iacon
03-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Is it me or did Knock Out and Breakdown come off as older, more competent versions of Ransack and Crumplezone?

Actually, yeah, I'd say that's the most apt comparison. The dynamic of the bruiser n' speedster combo is so similar I'd almost theorize that it was a deliberate shout-out to the CYB characters...

J (it's also really awesome to get one big, powerful Decepticon who *isn't* a moronic buffoon... well, two, if you count Skyquake too... which you totally should)

Iacon
03-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Tracks and Raoul gay? Never noticed that.

It was an oft-referenced gag back in the 90s. Sure, *might've* been a little immature, but there's just enough sexual tension on the screen to make ya wonder. Not that there's anything wrong with that... :D

Well at least Ratchet is not a complete organic phobic bot like Sentinel Prime. Right?

He's not...?

J (okay, okay, he's not quite as bad... Man, I miss Sentinel Prime... possibly the only TF character who's made me actually laugh out loud at least once whilst watching every one of his episodes. Really hoping he shows up in TF:P, ideally with the same VA... and chin!)

Sun Swipe Prime
03-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I can't say how much of a pleasant surprise Prime has been. I had low expectations but this show is doing a lot of things right. The villians are great. When Knock out showed up, I went who the heck is knock out. But he came across as pretty cool. Like someone else said a bit of a dandy but he can definitely kick ass. If this show keeps it up, I'll have to rank this up there with BW.

Goji_tron
03-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Now if only the Dinobots make their debut into the Transformers series.

I also hope that Shockwave, Tarantulas, Waspinator, and Blackout make the appearance on Transformers Prime too.

It would be nice if some Dinobots are involved with Mech, forcing Autobots to rescue them, Grimlock going on an unintentional rampage in public, having the Dinobots' backstory be tied with Shockwave in the prehistoric past on Earth like IDW publishing. Those similar stories from IDW publishing being used for TF: Prime plot would be cool to use. Don't you agree?

It would also be nice that the Dinobots, Tarantulas, Shockwave, and Waspinator receive the original voice actors for this show.

Perceptor
03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Is Episode 11 out? Can't find it on Youtube...

bedtime
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Is Episode 11 out? Can't find it on Youtube...

i seem to recall hearing the TFW guys talking about how the show was taking a three week hiatus? something like that. new episodes after that though, if i recall correctly.

razin
03-27-2011, 12:22 AM
i seem to recall hearing the TFW guys talking about how the show was taking a three week hiatus? something like that. new episodes after that though, if i recall correctly.

Yup, it returns on April 8th.

Jove
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Now if only the Dinobots make their debut into the Transformers series.

I'd be very happy if the Dinobots were NOT included. The writers seem to be sticking to the idea that the Autobots are supposed to be hiding. Being disguised as a metal dinosaur, giant insect, giant spider, etc., is poor hiding.

We can have some characters that are not recycled or blatant homages to previous characters. The core characters are good to have for continuity, but a little variety lets the writers write other stories. I liked this episode, the two new 'cons were original. Variety is the spice of life an' all that.