PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Prime Episode 9: Convoy Discussion

Dragon Knight
03-04-2011, 10:46 PM
So, an okay episode this week. I like the idea of a human terrorist group far better then the random super villains they had in Transformers Animated

Dustinticon
03-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Is it on YouTube yet?

Dragon Knight
03-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Is it on YouTube yet?

Yup:
Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVNPAmVvmqg&feature=feedu

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRT5BQ4GDNU&feature=feedu

razin
03-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Nice to see them out of their base. Hopefully we see the trailer some more, or at least another one seeing as that one gotz blown up.

jackwacko
03-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Humans scanning Optimus Prime with the intention of figuring out how he works... IS THAT YOU PRIME SCOURGE? I don't wanna get all giddy already but if they make black repaint oil tanker prime .. I'll go nuts.

DeltaCommando17
03-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Humans scanning Optimus Prime with the intention of figuring out how he works... IS THAT YOU PRIME SCOURGE? I don't wanna get all giddy already but if they make black repaint oil tanker prime .. I'll go nuts.

Thats what my thoughts were at that scene. Come on Hasbro! :innocent: Bring on a coming of a new Nemesis Prime! :D :bow:

Larkhainan
03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
I like the idea of a human terrorist group far better then the random super villains they had in Transformers Animatedwould you say they're transhumanist, or more of a fringe science sort of bunch

Jokes aside, good solid episode. Actually felt kinda G1-y as opposed to movieverse. Also the maximum overdrive line cracked me up.

shockwing
03-05-2011, 01:38 AM
nice to see the trailer for this episodes spacial guest, but for every new character they kinda kill off or gone

brr-icy
03-05-2011, 03:18 AM
meh, kinda lame, liked the superheroes of tfa better than "mech" seems like idw is going to combine with prime

CobraCommander
03-05-2011, 05:35 AM
A wasted opportunity for Prime to pull off a Superman maneuver... :p

http://www.capedwonder.com/images/picture-folder/images/Donner-years/superfeats/train/on_the_tracks1.jpg

down_shift
03-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I liked the episode.

I also like how one drone skull fucked Prime with a tree and almost took him out. I think it makes for a way better story when the leader is portrayed as someone that CAN be hurt.

Anyone else feel like Fowler is going to get paired up with an Airialbot at some point? I mean you always see him in a jet anyway and I makes sense with the "one human, one bot" team.

CyberMnky
03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
My thoughts:
- I liked seeing the trailer, was a nice nod.
- I thought it was interesting to see human villians, I see potential for great stories and really bad ones.
- Fowler was hilarious in this episode. From the arguing with Prime in the truck, do his guesses at the Decepticon helicopter (Wingnut, Whirlybird, Sky Guy?!)
- The acknowledgement that some military besides Fowler know of the Autobots - the soldier in the train didn't seem the least bit surprised to see Bumblebee hanging down.
- How was Fowler carrying the DNGS in a jet? They're not exactly known for their trunk space.
- Jack and Miko were quite tolerable this time with their attempts to help out. I'm still not fond of having the kids but I'm getting more used to it.
- I'm really starting to get bored of seeing drones, I really hope the Decepticons pick up at least one or two bots. At least Beast Machines had the Vehicon generals leading the drones.

All in all, good episode - muchly enjoying the show so far.

Dragon Knight
03-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Anyone else feel like Fowler is going to get paired up with an Airialbot at some point? I mean you always see him in a jet anyway and I makes sense with the "one human, one bot" team.

I would love to see that...especially if all the crazy manoeuvres the bot pulls off makes Fowler loose his lunch.:primelaugh:

Also, is anyone else expecting Mech to come back with some sort of Mech suit the next encounter? Prime's battle with the drones more then likely left them with plenty of Cybertronians to dissect.

Stapler
03-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I really like the implications that this episode opened the floodgates to. The possibility of a renegade group of transformers that are part of a terrorist group has a lot of potential.

ConvoyGTR
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
It was a okay ep. Kinda fun to see them out of the base and doing something besides bot on bot violence. This ep was a good example of exactly how useless those kids are and the only reason Jack and Miko were on that train was that "we got these kids and we got to put them into the episode somehow." I mean even if Jack and Miko were not on the train, Optimus was still of done what he did to save teh day.

P.S. Kids are less annoying as the show progresses, but I still don't care for them.

P.P.S DNGS

Goji_tron
03-06-2011, 12:40 PM
The episode is good and awesome. This episode certainly reminds me of TFA with the Decepticons acting like background characters while the Autobots fight human villains.

I also particularly liked the Decepticon drones holding their own against the Autobots much better than some past ones. It reminds me of the ninja concept where the fewer the ninjas are, the more harder they are to beat, of course with some exceptions at times for plot convenience. Does anyone agree with me at that part?

I wonder if those Decepticon drones, named Vehicons ( a fitting name by the way), are triple changers are just two variations with one of them being cars and another one being jets?

Oh my gosh they actually showed up a car getting blown up, likely killing the passengers. Now that is something you don't see in every Transformers show. I am surprised that the show was allowed to do that.

Transbot90210
03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I guess I'm a sucker for good story telling because I thought this was one strong episode.

The introduction of MECH just added a whole NEW layer to the TF lore. Humanities version of Decepticons. A Tech-Terrorist group with their own agenda. The potential is endless. Maybe we will see a new faction of "Transformers" created by MECH.

So far the level of story telling in this show has me hooked hardcore. Given time it may make me rearange my fav TF series list. So far we are dealing with limited characters and they seem to be entertaining. Imagine what we will be getting by the end of season 2 after 50 episodes have come and gone and filled up the ranks of bots and plumped up the plots and history of this TF universe.

Colour me very excited for the future of Prime.

Transbot90210
03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I wonder if those Decepticon drones, named Vehicons ( a fitting name by the way), are triple changers are just two variations with one of them being cars and another one being jets?

Vehicons? I thought the drones were called Eradicons. So now I would like to know which is it? I can't recall hearing either name on the show so I'm now clueless lol.

As for the drone jets and cars, I think they are two different groups. The planes have wing kibble and slender arms where as the car bots have Barricade like arms aka the whole side of the car.

Iacon
03-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Transformers: Prime Episode 9- "Convoy"

Heh... heheh... I know there's a lot more going on here, but my first reaction was that they wrote an episode with the sole purpose of letting Prime use a trailer. If nothing else, this does create a smidgen of hope that we'll actually get a trailer with one of the no doubt myriad size classes of TF:P Prime that are likely to hit shelves by Xmastime (granted, it'll probably just be the Legends scale that actually has it, but that'd be better than nothing).

Speaking of the trailer (which is somehow even more fanwanky, in its attention to detail, than TF:A Prime's from the first Headmaster ep), that transformation's going to be incredibly tough to render in plastic. I was always more of a subspace proponent, but it looks like we've finally got some evidence to support the "origami-panel-folding" explanation for where crap goes during transformation...

The interplay between Fowler and Prime was pure gold. With all the various kids (who *can't* *even* *drive*) being paired with Autobots, it's really cool to see how a grown man deals with it (other than Trailbreaker/Sparkplug, I can't think of another proper man-'Bot pairing on TV... well, maybe Captain Fanzone and Prowl, but Fanzone was never really a passenger, per se). The awkward who-gets-to-lead? moment was genius.

Um... did Fowler kill a guy? Seriously, hitting a tree at what is presumably upwards of 100 km/h (roughly >80 mph, fer the Yanks)... how is that *not* fatal?! I'm not complaining, really. I love random death even more than Furman. I'm just a little surprised that they can get away with that on something that is still being billed as a children's programming. If nothing else, I guess it's a testament to the creative freedom you get when you create your own network to play your shows. Unless I'm completely out of touch, I'm pretty sure Saturday mornings on Cartoon Network didn't have such senseless people-killing...

Holy crap-- Silas is played by Clancy Brown! As in Lex Luthor from Superman: The Animated Series!! I *knew* he sounded familiar. Wow, that may have actually topped casting the fourth Ghostbuster...

Speaking of Silas... scarred guy... head of a shady paramilitary organization... wants to commandeer TF tech... *please* tell me he's not a Dreamwave Lazarus homage!

That said, I actually am kinda digging the introduction of Mech (or is it M.E.C.H.?). We haven't really had a credible threat from humanity since the days of Blackrock and Circuit Breaker (okay... I guess Meltdown was kind of a big deal... but he was technically superhuman). I also like how the first half of the ep really played up the mistaken identity angle, with Fowler, in all his xenophobia, just assuming that the interlopers were 'Cons. I kinda wish I hadn't watched the preview after the previous week's ep-- if I hadn't, I'd totally have been waiting for Silas' chopper to transform into Vortex or Blackout or Blaze Master... on second thought, I'm glad it spared me the pain of disappointment-- TF:P Vortex would frickin' rule!

I love the little detail of the weight of the axe causing Miko to almost fall over when she tries to swing it in self-defense. Compared to Spike's infamous bouts of unexplained superhuman strength, that was a nice touch of realism. As was Jack actually realizing that he totally signed his and Miko's death warrant with his dumb-ass plan...

So all the Jet-drones do talk, eh? I was thinking they were analogous to Vehicon drones, but between this ep and the mouthy Roadster-drone from "Masters and Students", I guess these guys are more closely related to Sweeps...

The conversation between Prime and Fowler about the nature of evil and fanaticism was also very well done. A thoroughly elegant way of introducing a bit more of Megatron's backstory and a tasty reference to the Autobot/Decepticon arms race concept first introduced in "Desertion of the Dinobots". I'm really hoping this show lasts long enough to really delve into some of the history that's being tantalizingly glimpsed at here (okay, I guess I should just get around to reading Exodus, as I reckon a lot of it's already in there). The fact that the toy line won't come out 'til after DotM bodes well, but I'm still only cautiously optimsitic that we'll get more than two seasons of TF:P. The sorrow of TF:A's premature abortion is still too fresh for me to fully trust a new show just yet... <sniff>...

Anyhoo, in some ways, "Convoy" may actually be my favourite episode yet. It was working on at least two or three levels and had some strong characterization for Prime, Fowler, Jack and even Miko. One thing, though-- the climax is totally nonsensical. I gather we're meant to believe that Prime frightened Mech off by recovering and running towards the train, but really-- they would have have *plenty* of time to shoot the kids, grab the D.N.G.S. and be on their merry way before Prime could get into range to actually stop them!

Quote of the Ep- "I'm guessing you're more of a Nashville sound kind of guy" - Agent Fowler (After twenty-seven years, somebody *finally* makes a John Wayne joke...)

J (still unsure about whether the D.N.G.S. acronym gag was genuinely funny or just full-on lame)

Iacon
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Vehicons? I thought the drones were called Eradicons.

Where'd you hear "Eradicons"? I've just been calling them Vehicons, because they kinda remind me of Beast Machines, but I haven't heard anything about their actual in-show designation...

In any case, I'd agree that the Jet-drones and Roadster-drones look like two distinct classes of trooper...

Transbot90210
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Where'd you hear "Eradicons"? I've just been calling them Vehicons, because they kinda remind me of Beast Machines, but I haven't heard anything about their actual in-show designation...

In any case, I'd agree that the Jet-drones and Roadster-drones look like two distinct classes of trooper...

I know I didn't make up Eradicons and IIRC that is the name I read when news for Prime first started appearing.

That being said. I did a quick google check and have learned names like Vehicons, Terrorcons AND Eradicons are the name given to drones/generic troops. But this following link refers to them as Eradictons

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-prime-starts-now-bulkhead-soundwave-starscream-and-main-cast-revealed/19880/

Thanx
Transbot9021

p.s. still loving this episode and the series:)

Goji_tron
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM

You can hear Eradicons and Vehicons within Transformers wiki.

Iacon
03-11-2011, 05:26 PM
You can hear Eradicons and Vehicons within Transformers wiki.

That may well be, but any schlub with a keyboard can add stuff to TFWiki... (yeah, yeah, I know it's moderated and such, but the fact remains...)

Not trying to get inciendiary, but I'll wait until I hear the term on the show before I consider it official.

That said, I'd be stock if "Eradicons" was the official name. Sounds much cooler than "Vehicons".

J (just a little skeptical, as the official animation models from Hasbro just listed the Roadster-drones as "Decepticon troopers" or somesuch)

Iacon
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM
That being said. I did a quick google check and have learned names like Vehicons, Terrorcons AND Eradicons are the name given to drones/generic troops. But this following link refers to them as Eradictons

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-prime-starts-now-bulkhead-soundwave-starscream-and-main-cast-revealed/19880/

Interesting... hadn't seen that, but then again, I don't usually follow Seibertron.com. As I recall, they were responsible for some notorious cases of misinformation back in the late 90s (didn't they perpetrate the blue TM2 Megatron hoax...?)

Anyhoo, I wonder if it's just the Roadster-drones that are called Eradicons or if the Jet-drones are too. Kinda hoping each vehicle class of drone gets it's own name. That would be throughly jawsome...

J

down_shift
03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Interesting... hadn't seen that, but then again, I don't usually follow Seibertron.com. As I recall, they were responsible for some notorious cases of misinformation back in the late 90s (didn't they perpetrate the blue TM2 Megatron hoax...?)

Anyhoo, I wonder if it's just the Roadster-drones that are called Eradicons or if the Jet-drones are too. Kinda hoping each vehicle class of drone gets it's own name. That would be throughly jawsome...

J

Seriously, the 90's? That was forever ago. As a news mod on Seibertron I can say our news is legit.

Perhaps even too legit to quit.

Also pick up the comics. They call the drones Eradicons, it's right in there in the prolog. That's cannon enough for me.

Sun Swipe Prime
03-17-2011, 12:27 AM
I guess I'm a sucker for good story telling because I thought this was one strong episode.

Colour me very excited for the future of Prime.

I so agree. After the Darkness rising epsisodes, which I wasn't too impressed with, I didn't have high hopes. But since then, every episode has been good. The writing's strong. All the characters are interesting, and I'm having a lot of fun seeing what they'll do next. i

Iacon
03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Seriously, the 90's? That was forever ago. As a news mod on Seibertron I can say our news is legit.

Heh... guess I've been out of the loop too long... kinda still think of ATT as the centre of Transfandom, too (*crickets* *crickets* "AT-what?"- Audience). Anyhoo, good to know. :D

Also pick up the comics. They call the drones Eradicons, it's right in there in the prolog. That's cannon enough for me.

Yeah, I didn't even know IDW was publishing TF:P comics until I randomly happened upon the new issue in Silver Snail on Wednesday. That is also good to know. Is it a separate continuity? Just leafing through it, it appears like events go down a fair bit differently...

J (Just FYI, "canon" is what you mean to type... "cannon" is a thing that kills Autobots ;-) )