PDA

View Full Version : Takara Alternity Thundercracker Pictorial Review

Perceptor
02-11-2011, 05:01 PM
The Alternity Thundercraker, like its brothers Starscream and Skywarp, is based on a Japanese sportscar called "Mitsuoka Orochi" (see pic below). This figure is a bit of a heresy since it's a seeker with a car as alt mode. So right there many fans could be turned off. But if you can keep an open mind, then this review is for you.

The alt mode is a true beauty. An exotic looking car, with nice "sonic blue" finish. Everything fits well. As expected, hood, doors, back trunk all can open and rubber tires on wheels. (Hood and trunk are tougher to open.)

Transformation is a bit complicated and takes some patience. Instructions in Japanese and black and white small diagrams on the sheet help only so much... at the end I had to try and figure out a few things by trial and error.

The robot mode IMHO is very cool and stylish. The headsculpt and lasers on the arms retain some of the character's original "look & feel". The whole top of the car becoming the "wings" in the back of the robot also gives the sense of a flying character. But any homage to its G1 self pretty well stops there. Posability is pretty good. Stability needs adjusting the hips/legs/feet angles right. Once done, stands well.

The amount of die cast on this figure is not as much as I had hoped. It feels lighter than Alternity Optimus Prime. Metal parts are not concentrated at the core of the figure... They are on the knee/shin, feet, door/side panel, and front of the car (I believe). I have yet to figure out 100% for sure whether some parts have metal or are just purely plastic.

The paint app on some metal adjoining parts can come off after a few transformations. So beware if you plan to transform the figure a lot.

Overall, I am excited about this figure ... enjoy the complex transformation, and both the alt mode and robot mode are a pleasure for the eyes to feast on.

The following pics have size comparisons and various angle shots, also showing what transformation could look like. ;)

zuffyprime
02-12-2011, 12:14 AM
another great review my friend :)
dont dig the head sculpt, but the prime is looking more and more tempting lol:clapping:

CBII
02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Damn I want this.

On my wanted listed for sure.