PDA

View Full Version : Argument on Merzedes

C_Shewins
07-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Two of my friends are having an argument. One said Merzedes is American car, another said it is a German car. I didn't say a thing. Haha~~~:D

I think it is consider as an American Car, it is owned by DaimlerChrysler, although most parts are made from Europe. What do you guys think?

Jetfire Maximus
07-15-2007, 08:54 AM
It's German. And it's spelled Mercedes.

;)

GMfan
07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
It's German. Originally it was Daimler-Benz I believe the story goes that Daimler (a German company) either owned or bought Mercedes and later moved on to buy out Chrysler (a crappy American car company). In conclusion Merc's = German since they have always been in Germany and Chrysler though now owned by a German company I feel is still an American car.

Jetfire Maximus
07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
It's German. Originally it was Daimler-Benz I believe the story goes that Daimler (a German company) either owned or bought Mercedes and later moved on to buy out Chrysler (a crappy American car company). In conclusion Merc's = German since they have always been in Germany and Chrysler though now owned by a German company I feel is still an American car.

Daimler wasn't a German company. He (Gottlieb Daimler) was a German inventor. In the mid-1880s, he was partnered with Wilhelm Maybach (whom the ultra-luxury sedans of today are named after) and Karl Benz. Fast-forward to 1926, when he and Karl decided to combine their resources and work co-operatively, and bada bing: Daimler-Benz! The prefix Mercedes didn't appear on the cars until 1902 when Emil Jellinek started racing for them. He wanted the name of his daughter (Mercedes) placed on the car for good luck while he drove.

As for Chrysler, they couldn't build a half decent car if their life depended on it!

:p

C_Shewins
07-15-2007, 07:15 PM
A little bit confused. I take your answer that it is a German.

I asked my friend who was a Mechanic, he said it is a German, and another friend who is also a Mechanic, he said it is an American :confused: :confused: :confused: Now I am confused, haha~

Beechy
07-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Good thing that Daimler dropped Chrylser.

chisau
07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
its German.

Team Jetfire
07-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I guess it is one of those things that historically it is a German car, but it can be built anywhere else.

Just like Toyota has a few factories in canada, but they are still a Japanese car.

Jetfire Maximus
07-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I guess it is one of those things that historically it is a German car, but it can be built anywhere else.

Just like Toyota has a few factories in canada, but they are still a Japanese car.

You're comparing Toyota to Mercedes-Benz?!?

:eek:

The Mercedes-Benz factory is in Stuttgart, Germany. They only have dealerships elsewhere.

Team Jetfire
07-18-2007, 01:04 AM

The Mercedes-Benz factory is in Stuttgart, Germany. They only have dealerships elsewhere.

:o eek...I did not realize that :)

If that is the case, the why would they not be considered German cars...

chisau
07-18-2007, 01:09 AM
:o eek...I did not realize that :)

If that is the case, the why would they not be considered German cars...

that's because they are considered to be German cars.

Aernaroth
07-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Can you not tell zee german engineering vhen you zee it?

But seriously. Anyone who says Mercedes is american doesn't know what they're talking about. Its like saying Toyota is American because they supplied trucks to the american Military during the korean war.

CobraCommander
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Mmmm... isn't their newest SUV made in Mexico :confused:

But yes, overall it is a German.