PDA

View Full Version : Reveal the shield Jazz Review

Blackout4001
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,
Got my Reveal the Shield Jazz today from Bigbadtoystore. Thought I would throw up a little review.

Vehicle mode, 8/10

A nice homage to the G1 vehicle, vehicle rolls with little apparent transformer kibble( until you turn it upside down), Has a cool little feature in which you can open the doors and flip out Jazz's speakers. They can deploy in the vehicle mode like they did in the cartoon. My largest complaint is the lack of the paint apps on the back end of the vehicle. They are non exsistant, (will be adding these myself. Oh and the weapon stores nicley to.

Robot Mode 9/10

Love Jazz you will love this mode. It is fantastic, I love the stern head sculpt, the articulation and how large the figure is (quite tall)My only grip is the chest doesnot lock in place 100% it doeskinda, but any amount of force will knock it out.

Transformation 7/10

Very, Very simple and effective transformation. It has an automorph feature in which you flip down the hood and it will reveal Jazz's head as the torso goes into place. The reason for the lower score is I had a hard time with the legs. This is a quality issue, but there was extra molded plastic on the two back panels making the propoer leg transformation next to impossible until I cleaned it up with a hobby knife. ( I hope no one else has this issue)

OVERALL 10/10

In my mind a perfect update to a fan favorite jazz. I love this figure the most out of my classiscs line, and there have been quite a few great Figs.

Paul:clapping:

The7thParallel
01-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Your signature should say 'oops' not 'opps'.

CBII
01-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to get him but I think I will now.

down_shift
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
I have issues with the lower legs on my Jazz as well. I'm not overly impressed with the figure, but I do like how the speakers look combined with his hand gun. I hated on Tracks like it was going out of style, but I think I prefer Tracks over Jazz, even if he is smaller (and Thunderwing is smaller then Tracks. Go figure)

zuffyprime
01-08-2011, 12:28 AM
dude...you have a jazz???:clapping:
wait:argh: lol

retail in canada - you didn't get it here did ya?

down_shift
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
dude...you have a jazz???:clapping:
wait:argh: lol

No I didn't get them here, I got them from the states. Hate to harpoon your bubble :P

However I was talking to a friend of mine at the Silver Snail and he said he's getting Jazz & Tracks ect in around Wednesday or Thursday next week.

bedtime
01-08-2011, 12:34 AM
No I didn't get them here, I got them from the states. Hate to harpoon your bubble :P

However I was talking to a friend of mine at the Silver Snail and he said he's getting Jazz & Tracks ect in around Wednesday or Thursday next week.

this info is greatly appreciated!

down_shift
01-08-2011, 12:40 AM
this info is greatly appreciated!

I thought so :)

They're also getting the Battle in Space 2-packs, Lugnut, Grapple, and Strafe as well as more Thunderwing, Skullgrin and Cliffjumpers

bedtime
01-08-2011, 12:45 AM
wow all in the upcoming week?! gonna be an expensive trip!

GMfan
01-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Sooo a Vehicle mode that gets 8/10, and a Robot Mode that gets 9/10, and a Transformation that gets a 7/10, some how get an overall score of 10/10? Ok...

He's good...but not great. That damn chest not locking in very well is a huge piss off for me personally and the lack of detailing really makes him lose more points. Nothing one can't easily fix themselves but still...people bitched about Universe 2.0 Prowl having too much white not being broken up and Jazz seems much worse then he was.

Protoman
01-08-2011, 03:06 AM
I loved this toy, Jawz loved this toy......... then we saw those United compare photos.............

Larkhainan
01-08-2011, 03:33 AM
I loved this toy, Jawz loved this toy......... then we saw those United compare photos.............And what about them really stood out for you?

UltraPrimal
01-08-2011, 04:13 AM
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-united-un12-autobot-jazz/20492/
Put simply. More and better paint. Whiter white, painted grill, painted rims, painted back lights, Autobot symbol on the hood, and more metallic paint(which is mainly noticeable on the legs and abdomen).

Larkhainan
01-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Well, I meant more specific, which one element really speaks to you?

Also the symbol thing is a weird element of RTS which is just really strange when you actually look at the subline as a whole. Not sure how "AUTOBOT JAZZ" who fights THE DECEPTICONS and has a huge autobot symbol on his box -> http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/reveal-the-shield/special-ops-jazz/2213/1/8/

When I first saw him and Tracks I assumed it had to do with trying to cover up their allegiance / robots in disguise, but what's the point of basing a subline around a gimmick if the very packaging you spent money to develop tells the kid before he even gets the toy out of the packaging? Derp.

zuffyprime
01-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Larkhainan, your probably too young to either remember or know about it bro :) the "gimmick" is actually a homage to something from the early 80s. when the toys first came out, they had "rub signs" as a way of telling official hasbro product from knockoffs. kids would rub the symbol and then it would reveal either autobot or decepticon... they even had a commercial around it and everything.

zuffyprime
01-10-2011, 03:58 AM
oh gm fan, the voice of reason still, even though your thousands of kilometers away lol

JLvatron
01-10-2011, 10:38 AM

A quebec retailer Rossy, had it in their December flyer. So far the 2 or so people on our sightings forum that actually checked the store didn't see any...

Transbot90210
01-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I must say, and I am not a Henkie supporter at all, but that Japanese Jazz looks a lot better. I will still be getting Hasbro's though.

Crobot91
01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I think Jazz is the best Classics-themed Transformer since Hound and Cyclonus.

Very cartoon-accurate robot mode and excellent poseability.

Even the car mode is not bad considering it's not a porsche; then again, none of the recent classics-themed alt modes have been too impressive. I never did care for classics Prowl/Sunstreaker/Mirage/Ironhide's car mode - all are too compact & stubby imo.

Cheers Ian
01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I just got mine the other day - Great toy, but it is an annoyance that the chest does not snap into place.

The United version does look nicer, however for my purposes I'm happy with the $10 I spent versus shelling out almost another $30 for the United one. Nothing a few touch-ups and a repro label can't improve.

Larkhainan
01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Larkhainan, your probably too young to either remember or know about it bro :)My Probably.

I'm 28 and was raised on rubsigns actually, I'm aware they're something of a knock off "thing" - they were discussed when the line was first introduced conceptually months back in response to all the whining. It's just very strange to have box art (seriously, look at it) where it's like RUB HIM TO REVEAL AUTOBOT JAZZ'S ALLEGIANCE!!

Just a very half assed marketing thing when it gets assembled in such a manner - especially when you consider the rumours RTS will ship with Gen in the same cases in following waves. If you're going to use it again, which is fine, it should come together to create a cohesive gimmick. The irony of the stolen chinese toy review crew on youtube reviewing RTS figures without rubsigns at all not withstanding, of course. That's priceless.

TinTip
01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
I believe it is because United is one cohesive line between North America RtS and Generations, so they just dumped the rub sign altogether. Thus Autobot Jazz can have his emblem on his hood and not need a rubsign.

Mumps
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
I got the United Jazz, and I would give the overall toy a 7/10. The three missing points are entirely the chest not being able to clip in place in robot mode. I had him and Tracks open at the same time, and I found myself messing with Tracks a lot more than Jazz. The chest annoys the hell out of me, and could have been designed better.

Other than the chest not locking issue, I love everything else about this figure.

EDIT: The more I play with Jazz though, the more I like it. I will bump my rating of him up to an 8.5/10, with Tracks being an 8/10.

Badgertron
02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
I've heard the difference in whites on Jazz isn't as noticeable in person as it is in the photos...is that true? I don't want to pick up RTS Jazz and think "wow, he looks like he came from a smokers' home".

Jazzedup23
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
united jazz is whiter in paint apps compared to RTS jazz with yellowish white whatever paint. jazz is really a great figure because of the resemblance to the cartoon series. but my only complaint about the figure like most of us is his chest. there are no locking tabs whatsoever.

Robimus
02-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Picked him up today and am very much nitpicking the small stuff.

I knew going in that the lack of detailing would be annoying, but seeing as they virtually miss painting the rear of the car it really stands out all the more.

As GM says, these are easy fixes which I am going to fix.

I hate the gun, but perhaps mostly I dislike the headsculpt. He's frowning and his visor(like all the blue on him) is too dark a color.

I also don't get the animated style chin, its really way to pronounced for my tastes. His spoiler is way off as well.

If I were to assign an overall random number it would be maybe 4/10. He feels like a half completed figure that you have to finish yourself.

I'm still thinking that the Prowl mold would have been a better fit.

Once I get him painted up a bit better I'm sure I'll like him more, until then I'm just a little unimpressed.:crying:

Larkhainan
02-13-2011, 02:32 AM
I've heard the difference in whites on Jazz isn't as noticeable in person as it is in the photos...is that true? I don't want to pick up RTS Jazz and think "wow, he looks like he came from a smokers' home".Do you own a Hasbro Drift? Because it is, to my understanding, the same white and the same argument with much the comparison.

brr-icy
02-13-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm still thinking that the Prowl mold would have been a better fit.

personally speaking, the prowl mold was one of the worst in the universe line, backheavy, roof just went where it wanted to, the fenders didn't need to come off like that, and since they did they got in the way. i actually enjoy transforming galvatron more. jazz's mold is a lot better than that IMO.

Robimus
02-13-2011, 04:52 AM
personally speaking, the prowl mold was one of the worst in the universe line, backheavy, roof just went where it wanted to, the fenders didn't need to come off like that, and since they did they got in the way. i actually enjoy transforming galvatron more. jazz's mold is a lot better than that IMO.

Just adjust his feet and he stands however you want him to.

Fenders seem no more cumbersome than the speakers to me and I find the roof to be actually very similar.

Maybe its because I'm sitting here stairing at my custom version beside the RtS one, but the Prowl mode is just all in all sleeker with the spoiler in the right spot. It's also a lot less bulky.

It's not without its faults, I just prefer it.

Pascal
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Jazz is meh, he looks unfinished and his chest doesn't even lock into place. I'll probably replace him with the United version to at least get a better paint job.

It's also fact that Prowl is harder to balance because of his feet. He can be posed leaning slightly forward and looking down but perfectly straight and proud is near impossible, he falls flat on his back at the slightest touch. He looks alright though. The fenders are indeed annoying as is the neck plate which looks a bit out of place.

Ok, is it a review thread for Jazz or Prowl? :)

Robimus
02-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, is it a review thread for Jazz or Prowl? :)

It's pretty natural when one has two deluxe figures of the same character, from essentially the same toy line, to compare I'd say.

I agree with the part about the neck piece being out of place, that said the gaping neck hole RtS Jazz has is a similar problem to me.

typev3
02-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Just threw up a review of United Jazz with some RTS comparisons. Check it out if you can. Also, I'd give United Jazz a 9.5/10 (because of the chest).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACc0Peqw2TU