PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Prime Continuity Clarification from Hasbro

Super_Megatron
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Transformers Prime Continuity Clarification from Hasbro (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/transformers-prime-continuity-clarification-from-hasbro-171065/)

Category: Transformers Prime

Posted From: TFW2005.COM (http://www.tfw2005.com) - Transformers (http://www.tfw2005.com)

GMfan
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice...even though it still doesn't add up in any of those 3 facets.

TMIIWonkoNemises
12-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Nice...even though it still doesn't add up in any of those 3 facets.

I stated this earlier in either this Forum or one of the others that I go to:That the writers,as well as Orci and Kurtzman are going to build up to put Prime in the same continuity with WfC and Exodus...really akin to how Beast Wars tied it up to the overall G1 continuity back in Season II.

Glad to see that they are putting a similar writing style to Beast Wars. :)

Robimus
12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
And Star Wars gets given a hard time for continuity issues:p

Prime needs to standalone. Can it borrow concepts from G1, Beast Wars, WFC, Movieverse, Robot Heroes, IDW, whatever?

Sure, I'd like to see it do that but trying to patch it all into one continuity is a self defeating idea for Hasbro.

TMIIWonkoNemises
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
And Star Wars gets given a hard time for continuity issues:p

Prime needs to standalone. Can it borrow concepts from G1, Beast Wars, WFC, Movieverse, Robot Heroes, IDW, whatever?

Sure, I'd like to see it do that but trying to patch it all into one continuity is a self defeating idea for Hasbro.

Why does it need to be a stand-alone?If they do it right it might be a wonderful tie to the continuity.

And why is it a self-defeating idea?

Alexander Quinn
12-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I haven't played the game, but in 'Exodus' Dark Energon didn't bring you back to life and turn you into a kill crazy zombie. It just made you a super strong junkie, pretty much.

dancybak
12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I haven't played the game, but in 'Exodus' Dark Energon didn't bring you back to life and turn you into a kill crazy zombie. It just made you a super strong junkie, pretty much.

Yeah TBH I was not a big fan of Prime. A dead Cybertron was disappointing, and the fact that there are only 5 autobots bothered me.

I just felt it was not that strong a story, and to take a copy of the TFA Bulkhead was also a downer for me.

Not overall strong, and to put it into a great story continuity like WFC and just IMO diminish it.

jackwacko
12-08-2010, 06:14 PM
and I thought linear algebra is gonna be confusing.. University work seems pretty straightforward compared to Transformers continuity lines.. JUST LIKE GUNDAMS!

dancybak
12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Well the biggest issue I have is the core of Cybertron or Primus can be purged of the dark energon, but not until a few million years... instead the entire planet is dead?!?!?

Kind of bad writing if you are going for continuity.

Joalro
12-08-2010, 07:29 PM
and I thought linear algebra is gonna be confusing.. University work seems pretty straightforward compared to Transformers continuity lines.. JUST LIKE GUNDAMS!

Linear Algebra ain't that bad. Least, not until you combine it with calculus. Eingenfuntions anyone?

Robimus
12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Why does it need to be a stand-alone?If they do it right it might be a wonderful tie to the continuity.

And why is it a self-defeating idea?

Because it makes no sense. Look at Bumblebee and his look, voice and such in WFC. Now look at Bumblebee in Prime.

WFC clearly looked towards G1 for its inspiration, the other clearly takes its inspiration from the Movieverse.

Lets compare that to Beast Wars, which had a completely original cast even if it reused the Prime & Megatron designations.

Beast Wars wasn't trying to tell us that the Wasp character is Thundercracker, or that the Rat character is Wheeljack.

Thats what Hasbro is doing with the continuity nonsense.. Its saying Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron & more are the same characters in WFC that they are in Prime, and it just doesn't work on that level.

It's better to have them seperate unto themsleves so that events from one story don't tie the hands of the other.

dancybak
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Because it makes no sense. Look at Bumblebee and his look, voice and such in WFC. Now look at Bumblebee in Prime.

WFC clearly looked towards G1 for its inspiration, the other clearly takes its inspiration from the Movieverse.

Lets compare that to Beast Wars, which had a completely original cast even if it reused the Prime & Megatron designations.

Beast Wars wasn't trying to tell us that the Wasp character is Thundercracker, or that the Rat character is Wheeljack.

Thats what Hasbro is doing with the continuity nonsense.. Its saying Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron & more are the same characters in WFC that they are in Prime, and it just doesn't work on that level.

It's better to have them seperate unto themsleves so that events from one story don't tie the hands of the other.

Great comments. I agree.

Sun Swipe Prime
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Linear Algebra ain't that bad. Least, not until you combine it with calculus. Eingenfuntions anyone?

No thanks. It's been a while but calculating eigenvalues and corrisponding spaces was fine and so was calculus up to triple integerals, but the thought of putting them both together makes my brain hurt.

TMIIWonkoNemises
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM

I'll give the series more time before I have a complete notion of agreeing with you.

keanu577
12-08-2010, 09:11 PM
What I don't get is Megatron needs to get the Dark Energon again. He already got in on War for Cybertron!

Larkhainan
12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
You can easily explain anything like this with I DIDN'T REMEMBER THAT, MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN IT WHEN I HIT MY HEAD / went into stasis lock / long trip / did too much acid / energon bender / I don't even have a mouth

In other words you simply explain how they screwed up the canon by implying the robots did whatever the writers did to be able to miss something as glaring and huge as using the same plot device but ascribing to it different qualities. You can fix most of the issues just by giving Dark Energon a different name in Prime. Name it Blood of Unicron bam, most issues fixed.

As for body issues, those don't really mean anything. WFC is supposed to be thousands or more years in the past, isn't it?

Also there's more than X Autobots, they said they'll add more cast as they go beast wars style. This is a Transformers cartoon, it's here to sell toys, not develop five characters meticulously over five seasons

Joalro
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
As for body issues, those don't really mean anything. WFC is supposed to be thousands or more years in the past, isn't it?

Millions. And I agree.

JLvatron
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM

What about BW Ravage? same character but the look was completely different, 1 was classic G1 metallic edge-panels and the other was an organic Russian circus bear.

If you take BW to be in the same continuity as G1, then the TF Prime/WFC connection isn't any more of a stretch.

I'll give the series more time before I have a complete notion of agreeing with you.
TeeHee-ous!! :D

JLvatron
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
As for Hasbro's official answer, just take it with a grain of salt either way.
Remember that they said the Cybertron cartoon was in the same continuity as Armada & Energon, although in Cybertron:

-Op. Prime & his Autobots come to Earth for the 1st time.
-Humans never saw Transformers before

all this after 2 cartoon series' worth of TF's on Earth working with humans. Not to mention the unexplained form of Megatron after Galvatron's fate in Energon.

Grain of salt, folks. Grain of salt.

TMIIWonkoNemises
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
What about BW Ravage? same character but the look was completely different, 1 was classic G1 metallic edge-panels and the other was an organic Russian circus bear.

If you take BW to be in the same continuity as G1, then the TF Prime/WFC connection isn't any more of a stretch.

This is what I was thinking a few days ago.If Orci,Kurtzman,Kline,and co. are going with a similar concept that DiTillo and Foward did more than a decade ago,they can properly retcon and place Prime in the same continuity as WfC/Exodus...what they need is a strong idea that can connect the two together,and Beast Wars Ravage was a great example.All the writers need to do is make a good,sensible build up,and the Blood of Unicron is a start.

Mighty_Galvatron
12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah TBH I was not a big fan of Prime. A dead Cybertron was disappointing, and the fact that there are only 5 autobots bothered me.

If I'm not mistaken, Optimus eluded to there being more Autobots "out there."

I hear what you're saying...but it might be too early to judge it this way. Perhaps after more episodes these connections will become more apparent.

I agree.

soundwaveCA
12-10-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm waiting for someone to come in here with charts and diagrams with the tin foil hat on and explain to us how it all fits.

GMfan
12-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm waiting for someone to come in here with charts and diagrams with the tin foil hat on and explain to us how it all fits.

I <3 you

Bruticus82
12-10-2010, 12:48 AM

OMG! You did not just call BW Ravage an "organic Russian circus bear." :argh:

As for Transformers prime, I have yet to see it but will make more informed comments when I do.

Robimus
12-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Lets just say that seeing the term retcon bandied about already doesn't bode well. Retcon's are meant to maintain an existing continuity, not create a new continuity from scratch.

As someone mentioned already anything can be written to make this or that fit together, there's no challenge in that.

The challenge with continuity is about keeping facts straight, keeping events, the universe and characterization solid.

When they are starting with more questions than answers I get instantly wary.

In regard to Beast Wars Ravage, while I liked the character and his story within the series, I think thats not a solid example of how continuity should work.

CyberMnky
12-10-2010, 01:47 AM

But there was a direct line about him being upgraded and reformatted...

Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but bad example to use IMO

JLvatron
12-10-2010, 10:13 AM
OMG! You did not just call BW Ravage an "organic Russian circus bear." :argh:

Sorry, but that is how he was drawn, and voiced. Seriously, look how wide his head was; that's an upright Russian circus bear, not a jaguar. :)

But there was a direct line about him being upgraded and reformatted...

Dude... ?
Most TF cartoons involve upgrades and reformatting. Nothing new! :D

Goji_tron
12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Okay. I can accept Tranformers War for cybertron game and Transformers Prime being in the same continuity. But I will not acknowlege Exodus as part of it whatsoever due to so many contradictions in it, there isn't really much room for reconcile unless Hasbro can fix it.

I can understand why Transformers Prime characters would look different from their videogame counterparts because in the Transformers movie continuity, some cybertronians like Starscream change their colour, shape, and style completely as soon as they scan something. I mean Starscream's cybertronian form has a samurai head and is coloured orange-red but as soon as he scans a F-22 Raptor, his body and colour changes. That is why it is acceptable for Transformers Prime and War for cybertron to be in the same continuity because of my explanation provided above this statement:highfive:. Who agrees with my points?