PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Prime Episode 5 Discussion

King Benny
12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
It's up!!

Transformers: Prime (Darkness Rising Episode 5)

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-6IxbHtCIA

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyMC8IxwtI

CobraCommander
12-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow, now that mini-series was way more entertaining than the Bay movies! :clapping:

I just realized who Ratchet is played by, my favorite blue skinned Andorian from Enterprise :bow:

UltraPrimal
12-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Wow! What a great mini-series. Anyone else think the space bridge blowing up was a bit of an homage to the "Planet Buster" in BW blowing up? Who wants to be that Megatron will be back, but as a Transmetal? :p

I liked how when Miko took a picture of Soundwave, he took a picture of them. :D

ALL HAIL STARSCREAM!:raisetheroof:

jackwacko
12-03-2010, 11:55 PM
"And by all means, let us light our darkest hour" YES!

Probably the coolest Ratchet since.. G1... From his zombie-slaying twin scalpels, recon officer backpack thing, and sexy head crest... Ratchet is made a book in my win.

Also.. Dark blue with pink stripes.. never thought that'd work on a robot.

Soundwave.. camwhoring with the Japanese girl.... why weren't you this cool in the movie..

Also, the 2 most iconic lines in the 86 Movie ... in Cullen's voice.. without all the crazy background screech.. so awesome.

razin
12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
What a brilliant start to the new series. I am going to have a hard time waiting til Feb. Now its time to speculate on the new bots/cons who shall appear! And how long into the series before Megatron returns?

Before the series started I never would have thought my fav character would be Bulkhead, but hands down he is absolutely my fav in this series, followed closely by Ratchet.

I will grab the HD5.1 version tomorrow and rewatch these over and over til Feb.

Joalro
12-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Oh... my... god.. that mini series... was so perfect.

Goji_tron
12-04-2010, 12:53 AM
The mini-series is great.

This incarnation of Megatron is a proud worthy character with the all the other Megatrons, even though RID Megatron sucks. The fight with Optimus Prime is epic.

Megatron's "apparent death" in an explosion and Starscream usurping leadership on a Decepticon ship harkens back to the Transformers Animated Roll out episode in part 1 with the space bridge explosion.

Anyway, it is a great series.

ConvoyGTR
12-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Pretty exciting :D Love all the '86 movie references.

The humans role in this episode is a lot more realistic in that they stay in home base where it is safe and not in the battlefield where they could actually get hurt unlike past shows like G1 or Animated; I think Galaxy Force (if I remember correctly) did the best job in handling humans in a robot war.

And they are actually useful in this ep. with the Earth knowledge and going on missions that actually suits them.

My only gripe (and this is a personal one) is when Prime says his famous "One shall stand" line, Megatron doesn't follow up with "Why throw away your life so recklessly?" like in the '86 movie. I feel that it really completes the iconic quote when they both make their exchange and shame it wasn't said in the movie or in the WFC trailer. Seems like everyone has forgotten Megatron said some stuff in that '86 fight too and not just Prime, or maybe I'm just the only one that's fond of the other lines.

jackwacko
12-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Pretty exciting :D Love all the '86 movie references.

The humans role in this episode is a lot more realistic in that they stay in home base where it is safe and not in the battlefield where they could actually get hurt unlike past shows like G1 or Animated; I think Galaxy Force (if I remember correctly) did the best job in handling humans in a robot war.

And they are actually useful in this ep. with the Earth knowledge and going on missions that actually suits them.

My only gripe (and this is a personal one) is when Prime says his famous "One shall stand" line, Megatron doesn't follow up with "Why throw away your life so recklessly?" like in the '86 movie. I feel that it really completes the iconic quote when they both make their exchange and shame it wasn't said in the movie or in the WFC trailer. Seems like everyone has forgotten Megatron said some stuff in that '86 fight too and not just Prime, or maybe I'm just the only one that's fond of the other lines.

I completely agree about the "One shall stand" part.. They even panned to Megatron for a close-up.... was expecting megatron to at least say "one shall fall".. or SOMETHING 86!.. but who cares, at least the 1 v 1 after that was pretty cool. But did Prime forget he has 2 blades or something? O_o

UltraPrimal
12-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Haha! Yeah, I thought that too. Maybe he thought he'd save that one because Megatron probably would have just broken that one too. Best to just blast him. ;)

ohnaji
12-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Thought the mini series wasn't terrible. There was plenty to like over all. Optimus and Ratchet kicked ass in ep. 4 and the fight between Optimus and Megs in ep. 5 was spectacular in my opinion. Just wished that the directors would be more consistent with the fight choreography. One scene the Autobots can't hold their own against a couple of drones, and maybe a scene or two later they're enacting robotic genocide.
Hated the humans. They're designed terribly and superficial. I realize they exist to connect to a younger audience, but I can't help but feel the writers could have done a better job integrating them into this universe. If I were a six year old, I probably wouldn't care how these characters were handled, but in the back of my mind, I would hope for more competency. It just seems the writers made it a point to dumb down the writing to their target audience rather than treating them with more respect.
The overall story arch intrigues me though and to have Peter Cullen and Frank Welker reprising their respective roles is just amazing.
In the previous series it was all about chins. I guess the art directors decided this time around to explore their eyebrow fetish. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm kind of a fan for these quirky eccentric aesthetics.
Regardless of my criticisms, I feel it's a much better start than Animated. I'm hoping this series grows on me.

SleeplessKnight
12-04-2010, 07:53 AM
So I finally got around to watching episodes 3, 4 and 5 today and I must say despite certain aspects that I absolutely loathe, this series is kinda growing on me.

The basic storyline... is really good! I'm digging the zombie concept. And now all of cybertron is infested with robot zombies because of a piece of Unicron scab.

The Prime/Megatron fight in episode 5 along with the recycled G1 one liners in particular pushed all the right buttons for me. I'm enjoying this series purely on nostalgia.

The rest of the action sequences in this series try to imitate the Bay movies with the slowing down and speeding up of the film during fights. That does bug me a little. It's neat the first time, but gets old really fast.

I noticed that Megatrons voice changed a bit by the end of Episode 3. He sounded a bit more like G1 Megatron. It feels like Frank Welker was trying a new and unique voice for Megatron at the beginning, but ended up going back to the classic Megatron voice by the series end.

The Decepticons in this SUCK. In episode 4, the Autobots basically waltzed into their base, killed EVERYBODY, did what ever the heck they wanted, and left. It reminds me of the classic 80's He-man cartoon when the good guys go through the revolving door on Snake Mountain at their leisure. The reason why I have a problem with this is that they did it so easily that I never felt the good guys were ever in any sort of danger. It seems the Decepticons are only dangerous when the plot calls for it (like when Cliffjumper died in episode one) and they're totally incompetent the rest of the time. That only serves to make Cliffjumper that much lamer.

Prime pretty much had this faceplate on the whole time during episode 5. Sweet. He needs to keep that on.

I still hate Miko. She seriously needs to get slapped. She's obnoxious, ignorant, and absolutely useless. Whenever she does or says something stupid (which is a lot), she makes me angry.

Raf... this character breaks my suspension of disbelief. I have a hard time being convinced that a kid that young can hack military computers. I mean, if he can do it, everyone must be able to! I have an easier time believing a college kid in a wheelchair could possibly break into a military computer, but Raf, sorry, no.

Joalro
12-04-2010, 08:38 AM
The strength of the decepticons is consistent. Bulkhead is obviously the strongest aside from Prime. The first few fights didn't have bulkhead, and so the match was more even. It was cliffjumper by himself, or arcee by herself, then bumblebee by himself (since arcee was too hurt). Then bulkhead shows up and the cons run away.
The next fight Bulkhead is having to stop Miko from walking around AND fight the guy. That gave him a handicap. But in the next fight, Bulkhead went all out, which resulted in a sea of Con bodies.

Goji_tron
12-04-2010, 10:53 AM
The min-series was great. There were good 1986 references in the last episode. TFP Megatron proved himself to be a badass that puts him up with the other worthy Megatron incarnations. He would've succeeded in his plan to if Starscream didn't mess it up.

I also see that when Megatron got caught in the space bridge explosion and Starscream usurps Decepticon leadership, it harkens back to the Transformers animated roll out episode when TFA Megatron got caught in a spacebridge explosion.

It is however a shame that Soundwave didn't get a speaking role though, despite the fact that Frank Welker returned as voicing Megatron. I wonder why Soundwave didn't kill the children when he had the chance though?

It has earned many of the viewers' satisfaction. :canada:

RNSrobot
12-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I appear to be in the minority on this one. It was not bad, and shows potential, but I was extremely underwhelmed by episode 5. That's it? Again, underwhelmed. Not sure that story needed 5 eps. By the end of the mini I was also tired of the generic, boring drones. Miko may be a deal-breaker. "Obnoxious, ignorant and absolutely useless" sums her up. "I wonder why Soundwave didn't kill the children when he had the chance." Facepalm moment. The little kid being good with computers, fine. The little kid hacking a government database with ease, no. The zombie TF plot was... different.

Things I liked: the voice acting overall, especially Cullen & Welker. Ratchet's VA was awesome, and Bulkhead was a lot of fun. CGI overall, the attempt at a 'mature' TF storyline, the score was nice and epic. ERNIE HUDSON. Starscream showing how evil he can be.

There were some very good points and the potential for greatness. It certainly was not BAD, I just don't feel excited by it. It's a hell of a lot better than the Unicron Trilogy. I know TFA wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but with that and now Prime it's great to see Hasbro putting more effort into quality animation again. The span between Beast Wars and TFA was awful.

CETERUS PRIME
12-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I thought it was awesome ! Great action, great characters, great animation, and a great story ! It's been a long time since I enjoyed watching a Transformers series, as far back as G1. This one had my attention right away ! Sure, there are some things I can nitpick about it, however, I realize it's impossible to please everyone, and overall, I thought the series was very well done. Can't wait to see more ! Good job Guys :clapping:

Dragon Knight
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
The little fan boy in me squealed when I heard those 86 movie lines. The humans were actually useful in this episode, and were a bit more tolerable then the last. Really looking foreword to the rest of the series now.

Nullray
12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought this mini series was great. The nostalgic references where good. I do agree that Megatron should have had his say. Now that he is caught interdimensional will he be reformated with the blood of Unicron? Primus & Unicron are on a higher plane after all. The birth of Galvatron? Too soon?? How will Primus react to Unicron's blood flowing through him??
Alot of unanswered questions for me. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Oh yeah... ALL HAIL STARSCREAM!!!!!!!

Robimus
12-04-2010, 08:22 PM
The min-series was great. There were good 1986 references in the last episode. TFP Megatron proved himself to be a badass that puts him up with the other worthy Megatron incarnations. He would've succeeded in his plan to if Starscream didn't mess it up.

How did Starscream mess up? He was ordered to move the ship close to the Spacebridge to accept the incoming army.

If he had done as ordered, the entire ship, Starscream and whoever else was on there would have been destroyed.

If anything his move allowed the Decepticons to fight another day.

Anyway, loved this show. I'm eagerly looking forward to more.

Goji_tron
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
How did Starscream mess up? He was ordered to move the ship close to the Spacebridge to accept the incoming army.

If he had done as ordered, the entire ship, Starscream and whoever else was on there would have been destroyed.

If anything his move allowed the Decepticons to fight another day.

Anyway, loved this show. I'm eagerly looking forward to more.

I mean Starscream disobeying Megatron's order of awaiting Megatron's commands. Starscream decided to go on his own way to capture Fowler without letting Megatron knew about it. That set about the chain of events of Bulkhead coming to the rescue, being followed by the three human children and the Autobots that results in the disabling of their ship to simply warp to Cybertron, destroy a significant number of the Decepticon Drones, and the space bridge plans being seen by the humans that lets the Autobots know what Megatron is planning. If Starscream actually listened to Megatron's command of being on stand by in the first place, the Decepticons would've actually won and triumphed. See what I am getting at?

Robimus
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
See what I am getting at?

Yes, Episode 4:)

Autobotz24
12-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I must say, this show has really got me hooked. Slow and annoying at the start but boy did it really go out with a blast. Even the pitiful humans didn't annoy me like previous episodes.

I'm looking forward to when Unicron makes an appearance. You know it'll happen.

Very curious as to how the Autobots will end the plague of zombies on Cybertron. I'm sure there are still pockets of living Transformers still there that will need to deal with the issue.

Goji_tron
12-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes, Episode 4:)

No, I mean do you see what I am trying to say or talking about?

Robimus
12-05-2010, 01:45 AM
No, I mean do you see what I am trying to say or talking about?

Yes, I see your talking about what happened in a prior episode. I get it, Starscream screwed up, but it didn't happen in Episode 5, it happened prior to this one.

Alexander Quinn
12-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I liked the overall mini-series, though I hope that when they start rolling out more episodes in February that we start to see more...people. Gasp, I know. Who'd have ever thought there would be a demand for more humans in a Transformers show, but seriously - where they hell are all the people? At least if the satellite station had been in disarray from Soundwave's attack with people, scientists and soldiers running around like crazy, it would have made more sense than it being seemingly abandoned. Hell, even the kids noticed that! :) Some more actually people, even if just walking around in the backround, would be nice.

Against the grain, I like that Soundwave hasn't spoken yet. It makes him...creepier. Also the fact that he went from tentacle raping satellites in the movie to tentacle raping kids in this show ups the creepy vibe.

Sun Swipe Prime
12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok, I think over all the mini-series was pretty decent. I just wish they'd smarten up a little in the writing. There's some really good stuff that gets overshadowed by some really stupid things. I know I'm in the minority in this but when Prime said "One shall stand, one shall fall." I didn't get chills. The same goes with all the G1 line references. It seemed forced to me. It was like going to the well one too many times. But for me it probably has more to do with the lazy bits of writing I have issues about than the use of the lines. The lazy writing bring out the cinic in me.

jackalprime
12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I like the series, but im not a fan of the organic mouths. Im talking Prime especially. he looks like a cuddly kirby in a tech suit. I wish they would keep the face plate on.

Ground Zero
12-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I really enjoyed them miniseries. I hope the quality continues -- it's some of the best Transformers we've had in a long, long time and it's probably the darkest series we've ever had.

I didn't mind the kids. I know it's a kids show, so I was able to forgive some of their behavior and technical ability. It wasn't a deal breaker. Miko does need to be slapped around a bit, but it was nice to see Jack snap at her a couple of times for her behavior.

The Decepticons -- I agree that the drones were inconsistent in how they were portrayed. They were menacing in the first couple of episodes, then the Autobots tore through them the rest of the time. Starscream has to be the best Starscream yet. Absolutely menacing. Soundwave is great too -- even if he never speaks himself. Megatron is unquestionably insane -- it makes Starscream seem far more rational in his actions. He's cautious and he cowers with good reason. He wants to overthrow Megatron with good reason.

As for the Autobots, Bumblebee's synthetic voice seemed to really sideline him. Prime, Arcee, Ratchet and Bulkhead all stood out as strong characters, while Bumblebee just fell into the background. Really enjoyed the cynicism shown by Ratchet and Arcee. Bulkhead is awesome. Prime wasn't bad other than the fact that he just seemed to speak in one-liners and sound bytes. :-\

Overall though, excellent start. I was really iffy about this show. I disliked the idea of using movie designs. I really disliked the scrawny look to the Decepticons. I didn't like the look of the human characters. Still, it all came together really well.

Ground Zero
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
One thing I forgot to mention -- it's nice to get to see a show like this before we get a glimpse of the toyline. Nothing like seeing a character and wondering "I wonder what he transforms into..."

Had that same thought when Animated aired and I wanted to see Blitzwing and Lugnut's alt modes.

Jawz. D
12-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Wowwie! That was pretty fun and sweet. Arcee was pretty badass and so were the humans. A great balance of what everyone wants to see in this show.

Prime ep 5 drinking game. Take a drink every time they do a line from the 86 movie. ;)

TMIIWonkoNemises
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Wowwie! That was pretty fun and sweet. Arcee was pretty badass and so were the humans. A great balance of what everyone wants to see in this show.

Prime ep 5 drinking game. Take a drink every time they do a line from the 86 movie. ;)

Judging on the amount of lines....you'll get a bit buzzed but not totally hammered,lol.

Mighty_Galvatron
12-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't care much for the final episode - but overall I thought the miniseries was pretty decent.