PDA

View Full Version : GF, Wives, "Society" and collecting Transformers

RedOktobre
07-08-2007, 01:04 PM
A topic concerning gf's, embarrassment and collecting Transformers was becoming extremely "off-topic" on the "hauls" thread.

I didn't want to annoy our moderator so, I created this new thread for it if anyone is interested in "throwing their 2 cents in..."

RedOktobre
07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't let people mocking you for your collecting habits bother you too much; some people just can't get over the fact that there are people out there who find satisfaction in things that don't involve sex, booze or "ADULT" lifestyle societal norms. (If that makes any sense.)

Good point!

I haven't had the good fortune to make any GFs' yet in my life; not really sure where to look or anything like that so I just do what pleases me, if she won't support my hobby or at least be open minded then that's her problem, when/if I ever manage to woo a member of the fairer sex.
I was lucky - I guess. I met my gf prior to my TF addiction. I loved TF during the G1 era, but left it after the decline. I recently got interested again when the Cybertron series came out. I have been hooked since...

In the end, my gf doesn't have a problem with my hobby. She just wants me to exercise some restraint. I'm trying to save money for a nice engagement ring. That's why I started to return some unncesssary TFs.

As for your love life, I find that meeting girls is a lot like looking for a job. You gotta "put in" the effort to find girls (jobs). Then, you have to go thru many "interviews" with potential girls. Finally, one cutie says, "I'll give you a shot, you're hired!" Then, you have to turn on the charm and impress her in order to "keep your job".

we all have our dark little pleasures after all and for some that means buying, opening and still playing with toys.

Yes, everyone has their one "vices". In the end, I'd rather have people laugh at me for collecting TFs instead of looking down upon me for being a drug addict, gambling holic, etc.

Being a completist was driving me a little crazy in the past; I wasn't getting as much fun out of the hobby as I did before, which is why I didn't get too many Energon Voyager/Mega and Up figures and how I missed out on a few I find myself wanting now simply because I have this strange obsession with having an equal number of Autobots and Decepticons ratiowise for the Unicron Trilogy... I have no idea why, but at least I've made up Wants Lists and rejected several or more figures simply because I don't need every repaint and I just want to even out the sides as it were. (Does that sound like making an excuse?)

No, not really. I find "re-paints" hit & miss. I either like it or find it unnecessary.

I try my best to focus figures that I truly like to avoid the "complete-ist" trap. I have a tendency to like figures with projectile weapons as well. Funny that you mentioned the need for balance - autobots and decepticons. I paid some attention to it, but it never affected my buying habits. I noticed I had more Autobots or Decepticons for certain lines.

Yeah; this is turning into a non-haul type of thing, so... POST YOUR HAULS FOLKS; I'll add some more up in a weeks time most likely, after seeing TFTM '07 A second maybe even third time.

This happens a lot - going off topic

-KG-
07-08-2007, 01:14 PM
My gf actually collects as well. She has about 25 figures from Cybertron, Classics and G1. She came with me to TransformersCon and spent about $200. It's nice to have someone who not only understands but also enjoys the hobby. Maybe not quite as much as I do but she's in on it none the less.

She hated the movie designs but after seeing it she wants a bunch of Bumblebee stuff. Both Deluxes, Ultimate Bumblebee and the keychain. She also wants some Prime stuff too. Hell even my sister wants some bumblebee stuff after seeing the movie.

Any girl who looks down on you for collecting TF isn't worth being with anyway. There are a lot of females on this planet that will support you and your hobby.

As for anyone else, screw them do what makes you happy. You have to live your life for yourself and no one else...

RedOktobre
07-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Haha, I guess it's not just me, since I'm still a student, but I find that a lot of the members here just gobble up anything Hasbro sells us.

I'm a a bit more critical of what I buy (due to my financial situation), but I now research what I would consider to buy thoroughly (reading online reviews and galleries). I've learned my lesson from buying from some horribly poor toy lines (Namely Beast Machines and some of the Movie line).

I'm also quite certain toy collecting is a chick repellent, so when I meet a girl, I'd keep it as a hidden fact. The notion of grown men buying toys is still embarassing to some extent. That's just what I'd do of course, I still have no experience in "the game".

Hey Dark Rage, your situation reminds of me of my "younger" days...

Yes, I agree with your observation. I noticed that they is always a fellow collector who will gobble up something from Hasbro. I find some figures to be "crap" while others find it to be "gold".

I think that you are "on the button" with the comment about collecting TFs being a chick repellant! I was lucky since my hobby started after I met my chick! My gf thinks that I'm letting my childish side of me taking over!

Don't worry. I was shy in my younger days too. I didn't get involved in the "game" until the late age of 22. I met my first gf (sort of first gf; until I discovered that she was seeing 2 people at once). Also, I busy with school and studies. I didn't socialize and made friends very much.

I actually like the Movie line quite a bit. I'm not into the Beast Wars line like yourself. However, I also like the Titanium line too!

Robimus
07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about GF's that are going to leave because you collect toys. Anyone that shallow isn't worth your time anyway. Would she leave if her BF liked Football a lot, I think not.
Also I loved the point brought up about the vices people have and what is considered socially accecptable. Some one who spends $50-$100 a week on booze and cigarettes is considered normal????
I have and had friends like this for a long time and I'd always argue with them that they were the ones with their priorities out of place. Not only does my collecting give me enjoyment but it also has become something of an asset which can be passed along to my daughter in the future and might be worth a buck or two or two thousand, someday. I would never sell my own collection but I still recognize the potential value it may have.
What does drinking and smoking leave people with???? Not much.

RedOktobre
07-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Don't worry too much about what other people think and say boys, there's that whole thing in society where doing anything that's different from everybody else is stigmatized and targeted. Thus if anybody likes anything other than the surface level of what's pop-trendy at the time (trucker hats, snap bracelets (from when I was a kid), being ditsy, or whatever) they get hassled.

Many people are more concerned with what to make sure not to like in order to be cool than with thinking about what they actually do like and going with it.

So I wouldn't hide anything from anybody. If a gf can't handle it and seriously pits herself against transformers, then she's got to go anyways. My gf thinks I'm over-the-top silly but sees how much I enjoy it so supports it, i.e. she's from the US so whenever she goes back she brings me back all the store-exclusives we can't get up here.

Hi Paradigm-Shift Prime, I wish that I had even 50% of your strength! I try to stand on my 2 feet most of the time, like yourself, and not let other people's opinions waver me. Unfortunately, I do let other people's opinions affect me sometimes. It's hard not to do so.

Like Dark Rage mentioned, sometimes it is not practical to "go against" the wind... it can be quite an "uphill battle" if you have specific goals like meeting a gf or something. In Dark Rage's situation, I think that it is better to "tone down" your hobby of collecting TFs.

Yes, it's very nice to have an understanding and supportive gf. After all, this is just a hobby! If we were all collecting "coins & stamps", people, strangers, and society wouldn't dare to make fun of us or laugh at us at all!!! So, why would collecting toys make difference???

Having a gf in the States helps a lot. It explains why you seem to be ahead of many collectors in Canada.

darthrage
07-08-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm lucky because I run an online shop, even though I buy something for myself, I can tell her its for business and I need it for promotional purposes. But then my store doesn't carry Transformers Haha!

Pascal
07-08-2007, 02:10 PM
1-My wife doesn't really dig that I collect Transformers but she "tolerates" it. She kinda regrets buying me some back then, she thinks that she's responsible for creating the monster that I've become. :p

2-My wife LOVED the movie (she saw it twice already) and is in love with Bumblebee.

3-At work, people always thought that my collecting habit was cool and were always waiting what I would bring to display on my desk every week.

4-My family is okay with it.

5-More importantly, I am okay with it myself.

So all is good!

Shepp
07-08-2007, 05:16 PM
the whole idea of collecting things is foreign to my fiance. she's grown on the idea of me having my collection though, since its pretty much a part of who i am. she just doesnt see why i have to have so many of them, or why i need more. plus the whole spending thing to get them.

which is why i decided to take a break from that sort of stuff until next or august, so i can save up for our wedding.

at times i've thought she wanted me to get rid of everything, but i was misreading signs. she just doesnt want them overtaking the house and becoming a decorating motif. which i agree would look tacky. like those homes with hundreds of mini percelain crying clowns covering every surface. tacky and a bit creepy.

i'll have my display case and they'll stay isolated to that, except for a figure or two i might put on my computer desk or something.

i dont think she'll get into transformers since she's not that interested in sci-fi or high action shows and movies, but she has successfuly transformed a few without instructions or any help from me, like nike convoy. it made me so proud.

as for next july and august, i was originally planning to buy everything in a lump sum that i had wanted over the past year, but now i'm thinking it would be a good idea to ration that sort of stuff and conserve money from then on.

i'm growing up, but i still get to be a kid once in a while. so its all still good.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
07-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi Paradigm-Shift Prime, I wish that I had even 50% of your strength! I try to stand on my 2 feet most of the time, like yourself, and not let other people's opinions waver me. Unfortunately, I do let other people's opinions affect me sometimes. It's hard not to do so.

Like Dark Rage mentioned, sometimes it is not practical to "go against" the wind... it can be quite an "uphill battle" if you have specific goals like meeting a gf or something. In Dark Rage's situation, I think that it is better to "tone down" your hobby of collecting TFs.

Yes, it's very nice to have an understanding and supportive gf. After all, this is just a hobby! If we were all collecting "coins & stamps", people, strangers, and society wouldn't dare to make fun of us or laugh at us at all!!! So, why would collecting toys make difference???

Having a gf in the States helps a lot. It explains why you seem to be ahead of many collectors in Canada.

Hey RedOktobre,

Glad you started a thread for this and got it out of the hauls thread.

Well I'd like to think I'm strongly self-guided or whatever but of course we all waiver sometimes, as long as we don't give up all-together on our ideals and stances and try to fight through society's judgment at least a little bit then we can avoid collapsing our own creative interests entirely. My situation makes it a bit easier for me at the moment (and yes I certainly love getting the US stuff brought to me), but we all face the pressures not to enjoy whatever unique things we do in some way or another (my brother's wife HATES TFs, has threatened to throw them out, etc.).

Oh, just again for others, here's what I originally said in hauls postings:

"Don't worry too much about what other people think and say boys, there's that whole thing in society where doing anything that's different from everybody else is stigmatized and targeted. Thus if anybody likes anything other than the surface level of what's pop-trendy at the time (trucker hats, snap bracelets (from when I was a kid), being ditsy, or whatever) they get hassled.

Many people are more concerned with what to make sure not to like in order to be cool than with thinking about what they actually do like and going with it.

So I wouldn't hide anything from anybody. If a gf can't handle it and seriously pits herself against transformers, then she's got to go anyways. My gf thinks I'm over-the-top silly but sees how much I enjoy it so supports it, i.e. she's from the US so whenever she goes back she brings me back all the store-exclusives we can't get up here."

jourdo
07-09-2007, 12:07 AM
What does drinking and smoking leave people with???? Not much.

Lung cancer and a dead liver?

My wife has no problem with my collecting. It is something that I can share with my daughter, and hopefully my son when he is older. Granted, my wife is not totally aware of the cost of my collecting sometimes... she just notices a new robot shows up from time to time.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
07-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Lung cancer and a dead liver?

My wife has no problem with my collecting. It is something that I can share with my daughter, and hopefully my son when he is older. Granted, my wife is not totally aware of the cost of my collecting sometimes... she just notices a new robot shows up from time to time.

hehe, but then you might eventually get caught having to explain why your son can't open that $1500 misb Fort Max that just showed up and play with it in the sandbox.

jourdo
07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
hehe, but then you might eventually get caught having to explain why your son can't open that $1500 misb Fort Max that just showed up and play with it in the sandbox.

That is actually my dream to open up a MISB Fort Max... but to let a small child tear it open... pure genius!!! It would be sooo worth it for the multiple heart attacks it would cause across the fandom. Now if I only had $1500 to spend on plastic crack.

Synch
07-09-2007, 12:55 AM
That is actually my dream to open up a MISB Fort Max... but to let a small child tear it open... pure genius!!! It would be sooo worth it for the multiple heart attacks it would cause across the fandom. Now if I only had $1500 to spend on plastic crack.

I'm a misb guy but I'd love to see that :D Personally I think its great when parents who collect let there kids play with stuff from there collection its popping up more and more these days :P Almost like its cool to have a kid and collect :D

Dark Rage
07-09-2007, 01:26 AM
I would think it'd be troublesome to collect TFs when your kids (mainly sons) get older, who will eventually want to have part of your MISB collection or outright open it without your approval.

Then again, children don't always have the same interests as parents, I can't imagine that there are many Gen X adults who continued their parent's interested in scale models though.

Yeah, I'm sure keeping the collecting topic at my age (still in college) discreet is definitely best. Girls are always going to be shallow to some extent, most people would probably categorize you, it's human nature almost. Then again, I'm sure I'm still single due to my bitter personality *reads a book on reinventing one's self*

I'm actually switching to TF collecting from sneaker collecting (I only got 2 pairs anyways though, nothing special). I didn't collect many pairs, and it was a "cool" hobby, but damned expensive and not really fun. Buying a pair of sneakers for like $150-$200 (retail price) and then staring at it and leaving it in a box isn't that fun to me, but neither it wearing it and ruining it.

Remember, knock off toys (transformers included) are made illegally, therefore their plastic material isn't safe in general. Something to consider when you want to give a child of yours a toy to play.

C_Shewins
07-09-2007, 02:53 AM
My gf has no right to stop me from collecting transformers. She buys lots of LV bags, Dior bags, those expensive jeans. If she ever going to start with my collection, I will start with her bags and jeans.

Synch
07-09-2007, 04:07 AM
yeah that relation ship isn't going to last long haha! PS if she looks good in those jeans I wouldn't complain about them ;P

C_Shewins
07-09-2007, 04:12 AM
yeah that relation ship isn't going to last long haha! PS if she looks good in those jeans I wouldn't complain about them ;P
Nope, you are wrong. She never complains, we have been together for 5 years. I was just saying IF SHE EVER COMPLAINS.

C_Shewins
07-09-2007, 04:21 AM
She hated the movie designs but after seeing it she wants a bunch of Bumblebee stuff. Both Deluxes, Ultimate Bumblebee and the keychain. She also wants some Prime stuff too. Hell even my sister wants some bumblebee stuff after seeing the movie.

LOL, same here, she said Bumble Bee is "SOOOOOO CUTE", that is what she said.

Dark Rage
07-09-2007, 05:00 AM
My gf has no right to stop me from collecting transformers. She buys lots of LV bags, Dior bags, those expensive jeans. If she ever going to start with my collection, I will start with her bags and jeans.

Wow, your GF sounds hot, haha.

You can always buy some expensive men's clothing (like designer jeans) to show her you're not always buying TFs and might possibly surprise/impress her with that.

If she ever forces you to sell part of your collection, you can always make it fair for her to sell her bags or designer jeans collection, since they can be resold for a good price too, haha!

C_Shewins
07-09-2007, 05:08 AM
If she ever forces you to sell part of your collection, you can always make it fair for her to sell her bags or designer jeans collection, since they can be resold for a good price too, haha!
LOL, good one~! But nah~ She won't force me to sell my collection, in fact she bought me some transformers before, haha~:)

protoform_ironhide
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Does colleting transformers really can get you bad relationship with gf? I don't have a gf yet, haha.

Protoman
07-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Let me give a little advice to all the Transformers collectors out there. Specially the insane, completiest, ingulfs your house ones like me.

Me, I race cars and formula from time to time and through that meet a lot of women in after parties and all kinds of social gatherings. Through all my 100s of relationships (Meesum can account for my frequent girlfriend switches) I have learned a thing or two on how to go about this and how it also partakes to life afterwards.

First off. When you meet them, don't talk about Transformers. "Don't wear Optimus Prime" on your shelve. Bragging to a girl you have 1700 TF toys is not going to get them interested, currently, they are ignorant to your passion and who you are and it could only be taken as some super nerdy comic book stereotype. Work another angle, something that is stark contast to that, for me, it is my racing. I have always done sports in my life (specially on high school team) which breed a jock image and thus the expectation of a TF collect is almost impossible. After they get to know you more, try for a date, but again, even on the date, don't touch base about your fellow Autobots and Decepticons. After she REALLY gets to like you, then you drop the "Unicron Bomb". For me, it's bringing her to my house. By playing it off as if it's not anything major to you, she will just see it as say "collecting cars or painting" just those cars transform and those paintings are done by Hasbro hands. From that point it's all up to chance, some get a little overwhelmed "Riiiigghht..." Some think it's cool (mind you she might complain to her best friend later that her John Jock is really The Comic Book guy from Simpsons). It's all up to chance. But it also matters how important this hobby is to you. Which brings me to my next topic.

Your loyalties to Transformers and how imporant it really is to you.

I find the true test of this hobby IS the girlfriend and the social life. Let's get serious here, not a lot Transformers fans I met are social butterflies, some a lot of them use Transformers to "fill the gap" of their boring lives. A good friend of mine Robert, big Transformers and DC figure collector for years, his house... COVERED in Batman. Then one day, he got a girlfriend. I got a phone call, he is selling it all. The hole has been filled. So you got to figure out if Transformers is just filling a gap or is it your passion. Ooooh how many times I have dragged a woman to Toys R us to "check for stuff". and hey, if she does not like it.... their is more fish in the sea. Any advice guys just wing it over.

Nightscrabbler
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
The important thing is balance. It's okay to be a fan of something, you just need to keep a reasonable limit, and also balance that with other worthwhile activities. You don't want to become too focused in one area because you'll miss out on a lot and also alienate other people because they feel they won't be able to connect with you.

Shepp
07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
The important thing is balance. It's okay to be a fan of something, you just need to keep a reasonable limit, and also balance that with other worthwhile activities. You don't want to become too focused in one area because you'll miss out on a lot and also alienate other people because they feel they won't be able to connect with you.

this is very very true and would apply to any type of hobby, be it transformers collecting, stamp collecting, wood carving, sports, metalwork, etc.

its also important to be able to venture out of your comfort zone from time to time. not only for your own health, but also to broaden your interests and take part in things your partner and friends enjoy.

i mean, just in the last year i've tried brussel sprouts again, and i no longer wretch at the sight of them.

plus, there are some romantic comedy chick flicks that are actually pretty twisted and funny for a male audience as well.

my fiance has really broadened her horizons since we started going out, moreso than i have. i got her to eat chinese food, which was a huge leap for her. its each of our own weird little worlds that helps the other to grow.

RedOktobre
07-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Let me give a little advice to all the Transformers collectors out there. Specially the insane, completiest, ingulfs your house ones like me.

Me, I race cars and formula from time to time and through that meet a lot of women in after parties and all kinds of social gatherings. Through all my 100s of relationships (Meesum can account for my frequent girlfriend switches) I have learned a thing or two on how to go about this and how it also partakes to life afterwards.

First off. When you meet them, don't talk about Transformers. "Don't wear Optimus Prime" on your shelve. Bragging to a girl you have 1700 TF toys is not going to get them interested, currently, they are ignorant to your passion and who you are and it could only be taken as some super nerdy comic book stereotype. Work another angle, something that is stark contast to that, for me, it is my racing. I have always done sports in my life (specially on high school team) which breed a jock image and thus the expectation of a TF collect is almost impossible. After they get to know you more, try for a date, but again, even on the date, don't touch base about your fellow Autobots and Decepticons. After she REALLY gets to like you, then you drop the "Unicron Bomb". For me, it's bringing her to my house. By playing it off as if it's not anything major to you, she will just see it as say "collecting cars or painting" just those cars transform and those paintings are done by Hasbro hands. From that point it's all up to chance, some get a little overwhelmed "Riiiigghht..." Some think it's cool (mind you she might complain to her best friend later that her John Jock is really The Comic Book guy from Simpsons). It's all up to chance. But it also matters how important this hobby is to you. Which brings me to my next topic.

Your loyalties to Transformers and how imporant it really is to you.

I find the true test of this hobby IS the girlfriend and the social life. Let's get serious here, not a lot Transformers fans I met are social butterflies, some a lot of them use Transformers to "fill the gap" of their boring lives. A good friend of mine Robert, big Transformers and DC figure collector for years, his house... COVERED in Batman. Then one day, he got a girlfriend. I got a phone call, he is selling it all. The hole has been filled. So you got to figure out if Transformers is just filling a gap or is it your passion. Ooooh how many times I have dragged a woman to Toys R us to "check for stuff". and hey, if she does not like it.... their is more fish in the sea. Any advice guys just wing it over.

Hey Protoman,

I read your post and re-read it at least 3 times! I laughed hard at least twice!!!! The line about your friend, Robert, pushed me over the edge!

Kudos to you! I absolutely and positively agree with ALL the points in your post!

You are totally right! You have applied "Darwin's Theory" very well! In order to survive and do well, one has to adapt to the environment!

Like you said, meeting people is often about "stereotypes" & "first impressions". It is extremely unfair, but is absolutely true. Girls, guys, people, ... everyone including fellow TF collectors will undoubtedly, unknowingly, and naturally formulate and create "impressions and interpretations" of people we meet within the first 30 seconds to a few minutes. Often, these "impressions and interpretations" are based on insufficient information. As a result, we naturally apply "biases" and "stereotypes" which clouds our judgement of people who we are unfamiliar. Let's face, a typically young male bachelor looking for a gf or even just "friends" will not score a lot of points with "niche hobbies" or "unexciting hobbies".

Like you said, many (not all) TF collectors tend to be more "cerebral" and "introverted". Although society values people who are "cerebral", the same society (especially girls) does not reward "introverted" people who are shy, reserved, passive, etc. If TF collectors were truly "social butterflies", how do they find time to surf TF forums like this? Holy crap, I can name a few guys who are always freaking monitoring this forum like a hawk! I'm very embarrassed to say that I am one of these "hawks" at times too!!!

Getting back to "Darwin's Theory"... I agree with you completely that one has to employ different strategies and tactics to obtain our objectives. The skills that we employ in collecting TFs are useless in the "realm of courting girls, meeting people, etc." One has to employ a different mindset, "wear a different cap (like you for example, you wear your 'racing cap' in social gatherings)" in achieving different objectives - meeting girls for instance.

Again, I agree with your point. We all have to perform some "introspection" or examine ourselves in detail. Are we collecting TFs because it is a passion? Or do we collect because it is a mere substitute for a "hole" in our lives???

You got me thinking too! Although my gf verbally accepts my hobby, I suspect that she actually only "tolerates" my hobby. Moreover, I suspect that I sometimes push her over the edge a bit. More than once, she complained about accompanying me to Toys R Us to check out the latest TFs. I sense that my addiction may have overwhelmed me at times. Knowing is "half the battle"...

oldskooler
07-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I haven't read all the posts, just the few most recent ones.

I have been dating my boyfriend for four years now, and I'd have to say over the last few years I think I'm just as excited about transformers as he is. We went and saw the movie last week and I want to go again!

As for your girlfriend not enjoying going to Toys R Us she must be crazy! I've been about three times in the last few days, my boyfriend works and I'm currently not working so I've been going to tru, walmart and other stores to keep an eye out for new toys for him. I was at two stores today, and when I got home and told him, he wanted to go but wasn't feeling very well and I was more disapointed then he was, even though I had already been today.

I accept his interest in his collection, heck I've even thought about buying a glass display case to put them in the living room.

I guess I understand because I still have all my toys from the 80's (though they are currently in my parents basement as we didn't move them across country when we came out) my little ponies, strawberry shortcakes, playmobile, lego, etc. I think it would be so awesome to have it all displayed in the house somewhere.

but hey that's just me :)

Protoman
07-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Hey Protoman,
You got me thinking too! Although my gf verbally accepts my hobby, I suspect that she actually only "tolerates" my hobby. Moreover, I suspect that I sometimes push her over the edge a bit. More than once, she complained about accompanying me to Toys R Us to check out the latest TFs. I sense that my addiction may have overwhelmed me at times. Knowing is "half the battle"...

Thanks Red, it's something I have been trying to educate my friends about for years. In my "comic book" social circle (I have 2 due to my racing lifestyle outside of the city on weekends), none of them have girlfriends and I try my best to educate them about the "real world". I don't know if you saw pictures of me at TF con, but I was the only guy in the Generation 1 trivia competition without a Transformers shirt (I was wearing a more dressy casual top), and yet I won the trivia (Under the hardcore catagory no less). So you can be a big TF dork inside and BE well dressed and presentable and the girls will still dig it. I believe it was Shan that said it, "It's about balance". I think for every Transformers tech spec you memorize, take a shower, shave your beard, do your hair, loose that weight, peel off that Nintendo 64 T-shirt you got in 1997.... yes yes I know it may sound superficial, but that's how the world is, specially most women who are brainwashed by magazines and popular media. But have no fear, over time they will get to know who you really are and learn to love it or atleast not hate it cause it's something important to you.

http://www.f-ram.net/media/erb/01%20-%20Title%20photo.jpg

If you met me in High School or College, would you think I would be the owner of all that behind me??? That is how you should play it.

C_Shewins
07-09-2007, 11:54 PM

If you met me in High School or College, would you think I would be the owner of all that behind me??? That is how you should play it.

Good Story, Protoman. Is that really you in front of all those transformers? You don't look like the owner if that is you. haha~

Protoman
07-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Good Story, Protoman. Is that really you in front of all those transformers? You don't look like the owner if that is you. haha~

Haha yes that is me. My story as a Transformers fan is a good example of real world social success with good balance of our awesome hobby. We can all do this if we applied ourselves. One can be a ladies man and be able to memorize episodes of Super God Masterforce.

Dark Rage
07-10-2007, 01:51 AM
I don't think that many members on Cybertron.ca are that bad of social outcasts, maybe geekier or nerdier than the average person in our age groups.

I haven't gotten into transformers since i was in high school (Beast Wars) until a few months ago, starting with the purchase of a Classics Jetfire...and then my "hunger" manifested itself, haha.

The members on TFW2005 however...well, that might speak for itself.

I would like to suggest a few books for those who are dating or wish to date to sort of...upgrade their wardrobe. I certainly don't know anything about dating, but when it comes to clothes, I know more than the average guy.

These books certainly taught me on the basics of presentation and style:

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
By Ted Allen, Filicia Thom, Kyan Douglas, and Carson Kressley

Off the Cuff: The Guy's Guide to Looking Good
by Carson Kressley

The Modern Gentleman: A Guide to Essential Manners, Savvy & Vice
By Phineas Mollod and Jason Tesauro

Although I am sort of tempted to buy a Transformers t-shirt...sorta cool, albeit a woman repellent...

RedOktobre
07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't think that many members on Cybertron.ca are that bad of social outcasts, maybe geekier or nerdier than the average person in our age groups

I wholeheartedly agree! However, my gf and her younger brother disagrees. My gf's younger brother considers me to be a mature, stable, successful (careerwise) and "nerdy" TF collector.

I haven't gotten into transformers since i was in high school (Beast Wars) until a few months ago, starting with the purchase of a Classics Jetfire...and then my "hunger" manifested itself, haha....

Yes, it doesn't take much to get us TF collectors going...

The members on TFW2005 however...well, that might speak for itself....

Yeah, I must admit. Some of the collectors on TFW2005 are pretty nerdy and extreme in collecting...

I would like to suggest a few books for those who are dating or wish to date to sort of...upgrade their wardrobe. I certainly don't know anything about dating, but when it comes to clothes, I know more than the average guy....

Hey, post some pics of yourself!

These books certainly taught me on the basics of presentation and style:

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
By Ted Allen, Filicia Thom, Kyan Douglas, and Carson Kressley

Off the Cuff: The Guy's Guide to Looking Good
by Carson Kressley

The Modern Gentleman: A Guide to Essential Manners, Savvy & Vice
By Phineas Mollod and Jason Tesauro

I'm tempted to buy one and show it to my gf and give her a "good laugh".

Although I am sort of tempted to buy a Transformers t-shirt...sorta cool, albeit a woman repellent...

I agree completely.

Dark Rage, ya know what? We see "eye to eye" on many issues!!!

GMfan
07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I like my subtle nerd shirts like my faded Punisher symbol shirt with bullet holes, my blue venom shirt with his body outlined in black and teeth, eyes and spider symbol in dark silver, and finally my rusted steel Autobot logo shirt (can't be much of a women repellant with the number of women asking me what it means...more of a conversation starter really :P)

Oasis
07-10-2007, 11:41 PM
I've read all of this...and am not surprised at some of the commentary. If your GF is fine with it, you're lucky. My BF hates my love with a fiery passion and curses the day he gave me Grimlock for Christmas.

As a female TF fan I can't really give any blanket advice that wasn't already done pretty well by Protoman (and *^&* you're hot! If only...). I can tell you that I see over and over again one of the BIGGEST turnoffs...when a TF guy gets all snotty about his fandom. And believe me, I've seen it. Comic panels, chat rooms, the reduction of Arcee to a pinup girl, and reading "Wired" magazine have shown me that this is largely a boys club and intends to stay that way. A lot of TF girls have complained about this attitude and would rather date non-TF guys than deal with someone who will mock her.

If you want to date a TF fangirl, 75% of the time you're going to have to tell her that "Yeah, Starscream is cool" or "I don't READ fanfic, but hey, if it's your thing, go for it" or "RIB:FIR, FIB:RIR, we'll agree to disagree" or "Well, I never considered Jazz and Prowl an OTP, 'cause I'm not into that kind of thing, but if that's what you named your cats..." This is not a guy. She might be CLOSER to a guy in some viewpoints, but more than likely, no.

Frankly, I don't mind the T-shirt collection or the blog, I'd even let the weight issue slide, but the lack of a shower and the upturned nose when she's squeeing over the cuteness of the new Springer toy or the rolled eyes when she actually WANTED Arcee in the movie have GOT to go.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
07-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I find that my obsession with Transformers, video games, and comics gets me more guy friends then girl friends. Most of my girl friends just aren't interested in those things. I don't mind having most of my friends guys, at least we have things to talk about. mind you it's usually Transformer based but i wouldn't be on this forum if it wasn't. I enjoy having my room plasted with Transformer posters, having videogame systems and games scattered everywhere, and expressing my love for soundwave in shirt form. If that gets me less friends so be it.

RedOktobre
07-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I've read all of this...and am not surprised at some of the commentary. If your GF is fine with it, you're lucky. My BF hates my love with a fiery passion and curses the day he gave me Grimlock for Christmas.

You're funny! Moreover, I am extremely surprised that a bf would actually be against TFs.

As a female TF fan ...

To be honest, I haven't noticed any female TF fans other than my sister. She bought Classics Optimus Prime by the way. She also intends to watch the TF movie again this weekend. However, she is not 'hardcore' is you know what I mean.

My gf probably will not believe me if I told her about you. I apologize for the ignorance and stereotypes, but I must say... girl, you are a "rare breed."

I can't really give any blanket advice that wasn't already done pretty well by Protoman (and *^&* you're hot! If only...). I can tell you that I see over and over again one of the BIGGEST turnoffs...when a TF guy gets all snotty about his fandom. And believe me, I've seen it. Comic panels, chat rooms, the reduction of Arcee to a pinup girl, and reading "Wired" magazine have shown me that this is largely a boys club and intends to stay that way. A lot of TF girls have complained about this attitude and would rather date non-TF guys than deal with someone who will mock her.

I would not knowingly mock a fellow female TF collector. However, you have pointed out something that I was not aware - that male TF collectors mock or degrade female TF collectors.

If you want to date a TF fangirl, 75% of the time you're going to have to tell her that "Yeah, Starscream is cool" or "I don't READ fanfic, but hey, if it's your thing, go for it" or "RIB:FIR, FIB:RIR, we'll agree to disagree" or "Well, I never considered Jazz and Prowl an OTP, 'cause I'm not into that kind of thing, but if that's what you named your cats..." This is not a guy. She might be CLOSER to a guy in some viewpoints, but more than likely, no.

Sorry, I don't understand your lingo and abbreviations. Please explain to me like I'm an 8 year old child?

Oasis
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
You flatter me. Thanks! I am a rare breed...thank God.

Sorry, I should have written it out, but I was being lazy.

"RIR:FIB, FIR:RIB" Stands for "Rumble is red, Frenzy is blue" versus "Frenzy is red, Rumble is blue" which is an old TF fan debate which boils down to the cartoon continuity versus the toy/comic continuity of the mechanoid tapes' color schemes. In the cartoon, Rumble is blue (periwinkle), in the comic, Frenzy is.

OTP= One True Pairing. Some girls like their TFs to be in relationships. Some girls don't. Some girls make it a battle cry. (Ahem-Macks forever!)

GMfan
07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
NO Rumble is red, Frenzy is blue :P

brr-icy
02-29-2008, 06:02 PM
i've had many g/fs and i agree w/ protoman, i've been told i'm an excellent artist, so if they come over to my house, i'll walk by my wall of tfs and show them the wall of art i have up, they'll look at the art (no tf art, mostly album covers, tatoo designs i've sold and a dragon or two) and ignore the tfs until they've looked at the art, so it's not as much of a shock. most of the girls i've met think it's cute to be a "nerd in disguise" i look like your typical metalhead, (sans the long hair and tight pants) so they never suspect it until they see my apt. self confidence helps a lot as well, my g/f also kind of likes tfs, she bought me an mp3 soundwave for christmas (blue), now that she's seen it, she wants the black one lol. but wishes i wouldn't spend so much on it. i also buy a lot of music (600 cds last count, a lot are rare, import, and unsigned bands) and dvds (350 last count), so there's a balance in there somewhere between work, bmx, collecting, and art.

sound~wave
02-29-2008, 07:41 PM
U guys are all over thinking this transformer/toys collecting and getting / having a gf way out of whack. im 23 years ond before transformers collected gi joe's and had hundreds of them and maintained lots of relationships with pretty gals.

having these things are not girl repellents this is how u are yourself and as a person, i have never had a problem with any girl i have been with, over collecting and being a total weirdo. honestly i find the girls love how weird i am and they all find it cute.

so just forget about the fact u collect and be yourself because thats why we got all this shit anyways.

pud333
02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
My two cents is: Nothing wrong with collecting, so long as you don't let it rule your life. If you're spending more time and money on toys rather than experiencing life and making personal relations, you've got problems. And if relationships are hard to come by for you, perhaps it's time to take chances and do things outside of your comfort zone, while still maintaining the ability to be yourself, cause women can smell a desperate poser a mile away. Long story short: girlfriends and wives are usually fine with collecting so long as they know they're number one in your life. Remember: Robots don't hug you back :D :D :D

Team Jetfire
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I have said it before, but I am some what of a closet collector. People I work with know nothing and I will wait to tell any new Friends about it. I guess I'm weird like that.

brr-icy
02-29-2008, 10:42 PM
i'm not a closet collector, most ppl i work with are tf fans themselves, and on more than one occasion someone from work has mentioned that they wanted to see certain figs (eg masterpiece skywarp and ultimate bumblebee) and i brought them to work, they're not collectors. and the girls do find it cute lol, just be yourself, and relationships will come when you find the right girl who likes you for who you are

Buhawi
03-01-2008, 01:40 AM
i have alternators, binaltechs, few MPs on display. they are all on alt modes. what is there to be ashamed about? i'm too picky. although, customizing them isn't as popular as i want it to be. lol i have classics in a bag.

anyway, one advice i know that works for me: do not take advice from other guys. they know as much as you do (close to nothing) or are just full of themselves. :)

Buhawi
03-01-2008, 01:56 AM

dude i've seen you before. near walmart namur metro. it must be fun working near one. you get dibs.

Protoman
03-01-2008, 02:35 AM
As a female TF fan I can't really give any blanket advice that wasn't already done pretty well by Protoman (and *^&* you're hot! If only...)

Haha thanks. Again, how I look tends to confuse a lot of people. But it also helped me get on TV and in the newspaper to talk about Transformers (I am presentable to them).

dude i've seen you before. near walmart namur metro. it must be fun working near one. you get dibs.

Yeah I live and work in the area, so I hit up the Zellers and Walmart around there when I have time. :cool:

Aernaroth
03-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I see knockoffs on that wall Protoman, and actually have other stuff from that line if you'd like.

Protoman
03-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I see knockoffs on that wall Protoman, and actually have other stuff from that line if you'd like.

Really? From what I can tell only the extra Saber (Smaller robot of Star Saber) and the purple Micromaster Hot Rod (Barely visable). Don't get me wrong, I have some bootlegs but nothing major on my shelves. Unless your refering to those 2 oddities on the right on the wall, I got those at MAXI, cute little things.

Aernaroth
03-01-2008, 10:00 PM
The ones on the right. I have the military set I'm willing to part with. They have bumblebee's head for some reason.

Protoman
03-01-2008, 10:43 PM
The ones on the right. I have the military set I'm willing to part with. They have bumblebee's head for some reason.

Yeah the whole line have Bumblebee heads, Benson Yee actually have full sets of them for sale and reviews on his site (bwtf.com). I got them cause they are unique molds of "spychangers" if you will.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
03-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I just got Brave Maximus last week and at his 2 or so feet of height I had him standing in the doorway when she got home holding up a sticky with 'I love you' written on one side and then turned around to say 'Please don't destroy me' on the other and then a little p.s. of 'p.s. I don't fit down the garbage chute'

machine.slave
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
There's a lot of great points here, and I'll be coming back to read it all more closely when I've got some time. This topic has come up a lot on the video game site I'm on as well.

It's all fine and dandy for people to say "you're lucky" when your gf/wife/hubby/whatever is ok with your hobby, but to be honest it's a little superficial of them or anyone to criticise. It is what it is for most of us.. a HOBBY. Everyone's entitled to them. Now for others, it's an obsession.. and I can't vouch for those types as at that point it becomes a priority thing, and to each their own in that regard.

When I first met my fiance my apartment was literally full of video games. I had 2 pinball, 2 arcade machines and over 60 game consoles (plus games for every one of them), and a rather healthy Optimus Prime collection in the corner. Thankfully she wasn't freaked out by it all ('cause I kinda like her), but at the time if she had been scared off it would've shown me a shallow person that I wouldn't have wanted to be with anyway.

It wasn't something I really mentioned when dating, 'cause it wasn't something that really came up. It was more of a "Oh yeah, I'm a bachelor, and this is my pad" sort of situation.. :D

the Stealth M.C.
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I just got Brave Maximus last week and at his 2 or so feet of height I had him standing in the doorway when she got home holding up a sticky with 'I love you' written on one side and then turned around to say 'Please don't destroy me' on the other and then a little p.s. of 'p.s. I don't fit down the garbage chute'

Hahaha, that is hilarious! As for wardrobe, as GMfan101 (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/member.php?u=120) said above, it's all about the subtle nerd shirts, when they don't realize you're wearing nerd-wear for a few hours, or until you point it out (like an Optimus silhouette or a red-on-red Megatron, or a black lounge shirt with Spidey buttons and black-on-black Spidey embroidery).

And just like the shirts, being a geek-in-disguise works best. You don't have to necessarily "hide" it, but don't throw it out there unless you know the people you're with are gonna find it charming/cute. A good buddy and I both work out often and are able to talk and joke around with people very comfortably, so they're generally shocked when they find out about the vastness of our comic/toy trivia knowledge and our Batman and TF collections. It's a lot of fun!

miasboytoy
03-05-2008, 12:52 AM
my ex's and my current gf have no problems with transformers. they even go hunting for me when im stuck at work or when they are out shopping. i have even sent them into the usa for hunts (as we are close to the border) while im at work as girls love to shop......i find most girls arent really turned off by transformers as long as you dont live and die for them. its just a hobby and the gf or significant other should take up more of your time anyways. man i wish i had a smaller collection tho. if i were to start a new relationship i think i may hafta hide my showcase room from the new girl for a while lol. never once has any of them asked me to get rid of some of the toys as my collection count is ridiculous.

BadJeff
03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
So... a "friend" of mine was telling me he unexpectedly found his wife wearing Transformers underwear on Saturday night.... Bet that was a pleasant surprise.... Sorry, no pics though.

Batman
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
My girlfriend tolerates it. I think she also gets annoyed on how I will drop a hundred bucks on one toy, but won't pay $19.99 for a toy on the slight chance I can find it at Wal-mart for $14.99.

miasboytoy
03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
My girlfriend tolerates it. I think she also gets annoyed on how I will drop a hundred bucks on one toy, but won't pay $19.99 for a toy on the slight chance I can find it at Wal-mart for $14.99.

lol thats so me too!!

pud333
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
man i wish i had a smaller collection tho. if i were to start a new relationship i think i may hafta hide my showcase room from the new girl for a while lol.

I've seen a lot of people's collections and some of them are just absolutely huge. I don't know how people find space! I used to have tonnes of TFs when I was a kid, only to stop collecting and jump back into it when the movie line came out. My mother sold all my old TFs long ago (along with about 1000 of my comics for a measly $25 when I was away at university, can you believe that? :( The comic book store owner that paid my mom should be ashamed as he should have known my mom knew nothing of their worth. Isn't there some sort of collector code of honor? haha.)

Anyway, I've already become bored with my collection and sold 2/3rds of it. I guess I'm not one to hold onto anything too long so my girlfriend was happy when I told her I'd be selling them. Only to give me an annoyed look when I told her I'd use that money to buy other ones. She makes fun of me sometimes, but in the end, she knows it is a hobby and she'll go hunting for me. If I am spending $100s of dollars on TFs, I better be spending some of that on flowers and dinner for her. It's all about prioritizing.

FreedomGundam
03-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Likewise, my girlfriend tolerates it. It bugs her slightly when I get huge crates of toys in, and she's somewhat happier when I'm selling things to clear up room, but she's overall tolerating it. She won't go out of her way to actually support my TF hobby, though.
What's interesting is that she totally supports my Gundam obsession, but not my TF obsession. I suppose that's because she's also watched/enjoyed Gundam... Then again, she seems to have enjoyed the TF Movie 2007 more than I did... Weird...

Protoman
03-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Likewise, my girlfriend tolerates it. It bugs her slightly when I get huge crates of toys in, and she's somewhat happier when I'm selling things to clear up room, but she's overall tolerating it. She won't go out of her way to actually support my TF hobby, though.
What's interesting is that she totally supports my Gundam obsession, but not my TF obsession. I suppose that's because she's also watched/enjoyed Gundam... Then again, she seems to have enjoyed the TF Movie 2007 more than I did... Weird...

Be wary of that, cause initial toleration can evolve into more problems. Like I said before, you have to think about how important TF collecting is to you, and then measure the quality of the current woman in your life. Cause let me tell you EVEN FOR ME, sometimes I would pick buying a couple of deluxe toys over taking some of my exs to dinner. But again like I said sometimes. Don't be a fool because she is the only woman in your life, if you detect something is wrong on the ol Spidey Sense, and you REALLY love collecting your beloved Cybertronians you might arise at a big conflict later on. It happened to even me.

Initially she tolerated it, then Robots In Disguise came out, I bought it all, she complained...... sorry baby, "the door is that-a-way, Fire Convoy is just more important"

FreedomGundam
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Be wary of that, cause initial toleration can evolve into more problems. Like I said before, you have to think about how important TF collecting is to you, and then measure the quality of the current woman in your life. Cause let me tell you EVEN FOR ME, sometimes I would pick buying a couple of deluxe toys over taking some of my exs to dinner. But again like I said sometimes. Don't be a fool because she is the only woman in your life, if you detect something is wrong on the ol Spidey Sense, and you REALLY love collecting your beloved Cybertronians you might arise at a big conflict later on. It happened to even me.

Initially she tolerated it, then Robots In Disguise came out, I bought it all, she complained...... sorry baby, "the door is that-a-way, Fire Convoy is just more important"
Fortunately, it hasn't come to that. I've never given up the opportunity to make her happy for a chance to buy more toys.
Collecting TFs is something that makes me happy, but if it's gonna get into the way of my relationship with my girlfriend (been with her for... heading onto 4 years now), I'd easily get rid of it all (minus a few select pieces, of course).

She does know how I feel towards this plastic crack though. Her main concern isn't whether or not I'm more focused on my toy collection than on her, but rather the amount of money that's being spent (she seems to think I'm spending more than I really am, although I rarely get any mainstream TF at retail). Then again, she's an accountant, so her perception of the value of money isn't the same as mine. :P

Pascal
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Protoman, you sound like you prefer robots to women, period. :)

My wife and FreedomGundam's GF think pretty much alike.

Protoman
03-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Protoman, you sound like you prefer robots to women, period. :)

My wife and FreedomGundam's GF think pretty much alike.

I dunno, I guess with me the woman in my life needs to be onboard the TF train or she has to walk, finding a new girlfriend is never a problem, finding one worth keeping is.

Pascal
03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Acceptance of my collecting habit ranks very, very low on the list of things I'm (or was, since I'm married) looking for in a woman. Tu vas finir vieux garçon avec tes robots si ça continue. :p

-KG-
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
It has to rank high if it's part of who you are. Not only does my gf support me, but she collects as well.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
03-07-2008, 02:50 AM
Well for me, being a woman, it wouldn't be a necessity but it sure as hell would help if he understood my addiction or collected themselves as well. I find it more attractive when a guy is into the same things i am, especially transformers since it's becoming a part of my lifestyle now. Not saying they have to be, but it helps.

Spacemonkey
03-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Even she doesn't like TFs and other "boys toys", my girl friend doesn't have any problemes with my little toy addiction. It's a hobby like an other and I'm not in the hardcore way,I only spent a part of my free time on it. She knew my habit before we get together, so she took me for who and what i am and she's not trying to change me. I must be able to pay my part of the bills, afford some common activities and projects and the most important, to take care of our newborn baby. All is on how you define your priorities in your relationship.

bambam
03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
You don't have to necessarily "hide" it, but don't throw it out there unless you know the people you're with are gonna find it charming/cute. A good buddy and I both work out often and are able to talk and joke around with people very comfortably, so they're generally shocked when they find out about the vastness of our comic/toy trivia knowledge and our Batman and TF collections. It's a lot of fun!

That would be me. My co-workers are baffled that I would annually spend my vacation days on a big summer convention like SDCC. My GF was initially shocked at my sizable toy collection, but got over it. I think it's more acceptable (and slightly expected) because I'm an "Asianeer." ;)

Dark Rage
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Is it me or do Japanese robots (Transformers, Gundam, Macross, etc.) run in the Asian blood?

pud333
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Is it me or do Japanese robots (Transformers, Gundam, Macross, etc.) run in the Asian blood?

I believe the doctors actually stick an intravenous tube right into your arm when you're born. Instant addict! :D