PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece Grimlock reviews

Soundwaveblaster
09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Been killing myself trying to find a 2nd Grimlock to keep MISB, now listed on ToysRUs.ca after I finally found one on Friday.:(

Anyone else have a hard time getting him out of the plastic tray? I actually tore both legs out of the ball joint trying to get him out. Imagine my horror when I realized I was holding Grimlock minus both legs (both were still firmly locked in the tray) lucky for me they popped back in ok.

Was really excited about this toy, but after opening one up, honestly got to say a bit of a letdown. I think my expectations were so high that anything less than perfection would be a letdown.

Anyways a few quibbles:

Autobot symbol on robot chest about 80% visible, just mine or is there an easy fix?

Very loose/floppy (fists, hips, legs etc. except the shoulder ball joints) maybe I got a dud.

Paint chipping after 1 transform and back (chrome shoulders), not sure if I caused this or it was like this out of the box.

Too many unnecessary gimmicks, I'd trade them all in for a bot with tighter controls

Speaking of gimmicks:
light up sword works well enough (cool but unnecessary)
light up gun works very poorly (should have kept it all black)
tail-moves-head gimmick works but unnecessary
Bite gimmick ok
Press down-head-pops-up (either mine is broken or it never worked)

I think the designers wanted to justify the MP price on a relatively simple toy and went gimmick overload. Seriously lose all gimmicks, add more die-cast and I think the toy would have been better off.

8/10 for me, but before opening one I would have probably given it a 9.5 out of 10 simply out of all the hype.

discuss

Nocturn
09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
discuss

2 months late

Team Jetfire
09-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Keep in mind that I bought the Japanese version for $200, so while I agree with your minor isssues I think that the TRU price is still a great deal considering...

slippy
09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
i agree. i actually don't like the tail whip-head turn

Hellboy
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not a fan of the kid gimmicks either... what kid got this to play with? It's a collector piece.

I've only transformed mine a few times but haven't had any issues. $70 is a bit high for it but I got mine during the 25% off sale so I'm good with what it cost me.

onecoin
09-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Do you have the Japanese Version. Compare the mold quality. Night and day. All you see in the NA version is plastic swirls.

Camaroman2
09-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I had the same problem with the Autobot symbol.

Prowl_2009
09-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Got mine yesterday and so far, haven't had any issues with him.

Mumps
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I had that same problem with the Autobot symbol, then I just jammed the waist piece into the chest piece really hard, and it worked :p

Mighty_Galvatron
09-14-2010, 05:11 PM
No issues for me. Taking out of box or fiddling with.

Network
09-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I had a b*tch of a time getting out of the tray too, but I didn't tear his legs off. The autobot symbol was a problem but a little extra force and it worked alright. I'm not a fan of the gun at all, the handle is too short to be of use (in his other hand).

Maybe I'm one of the few that enjoys the gimmicks? I normally would agree, loose the gimmicks and up the quality, but I think that they are a lot of fun. It's not perfect but it adds character. I really like the chomping jaw :3

PrimeCron
09-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I carefully opened my MP Grimlock everything was fine until I read the instruction and notice that the jaw is suppose to snap when pressing a button on the side of the Jaw... mine the Jaw doesn't work when pressing that button - it just won't snap...

1st - Does yours work properly?
2nd- Should I bother exchange it?

Thank you for your input,

Alex

brr-icy
09-20-2010, 11:31 AM
mine doesn't always snap, but it does work if the head is at a certain angle

Tekkamanraiden
09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
His gimmicks are weak in general, I wouldn't bother exchanging it.

Prowl_2009
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Agreed! Grimlock's gimmicks aren't the best. Just stick with the one you have.

PrimeCron
09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I appreciate the inputs...I hate to spend $80.00 and then found out that the figurine isn't doing what it is suppose to do... if you know what I am saying...

Sun Swipe Prime
09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Wait... before you go panicing the jaw only snaps closed. It doesn't snap open and shut when you press the button. You pull the jaw open, then press the button, and it snaps closed.... yay. If that's your problem, then there's no problem.

rego00123
09-28-2010, 11:38 PM
FINALLY got mine (had to get him on a trip tot the states)

and i have one minor issue that im not sure is a flaw or normal.

his right arm/shoulder panel doesn't sit are tight as the left. the plate is sort wobbly. so far its not a problem at all, i tried to tighten up screws to see if it help but they where already tight as they could go.

other then that, great fig. the gimmicks are pretty useless in all honesty. this is one fig i would have LOVED to actually have voice.

as a side not if you hate the waggy floppy tail just slide the robot toe parts up tothe mid section of the body and it acts as a lock for the waggly gimmick.

Cpl. Chrissandwich
09-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Ok, Im still trying to justify buying him. Ive seen in twice so far, had him in my hands, then put him back. Now I have Black Convey Masterpiece, comparing the two, is grimlock worth it?

racerguy76
09-29-2010, 12:17 AM
I thinks he's a must own for anyone who likes tfs. The gimmicks are just that and the alt mode is worth the price. If I ever see another one, I'll buy it too!

rego00123
10-02-2010, 02:50 AM
looks like ill be returning mine.

i cannot seem to find the source of the left arm being as wobbly as it is. its definitely something inside him because as i swap from bot mode to dino mod the loose shoulder bracket changes over to the right.

tightening the screw on his arm does nothing. it totally internal whatever is happening

the way this guy comes packaged there is no way to tell if im going to get another wobbler either =[

other then that this guy is fantastic, my only real complaints are the looseness of the chest (really wish it locked into place somehow) and throw away/not impressive gimmicks

Nullray
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I haven't had a problem with mine either. All the joints where stiff. The tail tips where to stiff. Took a lot of effort to get them out again transforming the tail. He is very cool. I wish he was taller than MP-1 prime. That would be more realistic.