PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Drift #1

Robimus
09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/Robimus1/Drift1.jpg

Story by Shane McCarthy
Art by Alex Milne

I've gotta pick this up yet(comic shop won't get it until Thursday), but since its out I thought someone would have some thoughts on it.

Team Jetfire
09-08-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm not a comic guy anymore, but I may just pick this up. I love the toy...

GMfan
09-08-2010, 12:50 AM
I agree with you bro, and encourage those who also like the toy to pick up this series and get a better understanding of this otherwise unknown character (if you haven't read anything IDW made before)

Robimus
09-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Drift vs Straxus

IDW vs Marvel

I like what they have done with Generations.

:D

GMfan
09-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Certainly shaping up to be a line giving us stuff from the obscure comic characters to new video game characters as well as more classic interpretations to our G1 favourite characters...but we digress :P

Protoman
09-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Pick up this book. That is all.

TFtoys
09-08-2010, 02:03 AM
will this be like "dynasty warrior" fighting story ?

Camaroman2
09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Do you use Comics America or Galaxy, Rob?

Ground Zero
09-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I like the Drift toy. I like the character to a degree. I dislike how he is played up as a "G1" character.

He feels like some author insertion character from a bad piece of fan fiction :)

bedtime
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm not a comic guy anymore, but I may just pick this up. I love the toy...

my sentiments exactly.

Stapler
09-08-2010, 11:14 AM
After getting the toy I'm quite interested in the character. I just preordered the second volume of the IDW collection. I don't know if he'll show up in that but the IDW collections is how I'm getting the TF comics.

I thought about getting the trade paperbacks but I just have no idea where to start. My only real concern is if there are only going to be two volumes of the IDW collection and I'm left back where I started. I'm getting the IDW collection because I assume that it will eventually cover everything IDW is doing with their G1 series. I hope I'm mistaken...

chaingunsofdoom
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I wonder if IDW will screw the single-issue buyers again by adding-in something new to the trade like they did with "The Wreckers". I hate paying their $3.99 pricetag and there's no way I'll double-dip on a $20 TPB.

Protoman
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Amazing book, Wing is AWESOME (Dude, Landcross homage!) and anythign that fleshes out famous Cybertronian locations is a MUST (Crystal City)

This books is a easy 9 out of 10.

TMIIWonkoNemises
09-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Well,heading to the shops in Toronto this weekend...might as well pick this guy up just to see what's so wonderful about Drift.

Quantum
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I loved this book! Like Proto said, Wing is awesome, as is the Crystal City. I love the action in this book too, And there is a lot of it. Alex has outdone himself on the one too: the art is magnificent. Do yourselves a favor and buy this book: it does not dissappoint. I'm so excited for #2!

markerguru
09-08-2010, 11:16 PM
thanks to all of those who like and support the book :) hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the series.

General Tekno
09-09-2010, 03:08 AM
I wonder if IDW will screw the single-issue buyers again by adding-in something new to the trade like they did with "The Wreckers". I hate paying their $3.99 pricetag and there's no way I'll double-dip on a $20 TPB.

To be fair, having different TPB extras was all the writer's idea. Myself, I prefer that as it helps justify buying the trade after getting single issues.

Pascal
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Picked it up this morning, only had the time to check the first few pages, I'm really liking the art.

pulsedragon20
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Just picked it up, can't wait to read

Jeem
09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Just picked it up b/c of the comments here.
The toy is great and I read the back story for this character

Now to sit back and enjoy...

bedtime
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
ahhh! anyone know where i can still pick this up in toronto? shit is sold out the few places i've checked!

Sureshot22
09-09-2010, 11:09 PM
ditto i cant find the thing anywhere. though there is very few comic shops in east end toronto. :(

if anyone in the hamilton/burlington/oakville area seeing one in passing grab me one and let me know please and thanks. ;)

Tekkamanraiden
09-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Ordered mine online, should have it next week.

bedtime
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM
i'm so bummed that i still cant find this :(

Ozrein
09-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Grabbed this from my local comic shop yesterday. Pretty good so far, different than I was expecting, cant wait for the next one.

Zodberg
09-10-2010, 05:00 PM
While the colors were bright enough that they didn't obscure anything, there was an akward sequence with Drift and Wing (who really ought to have more distinguished designs) I had to read several times before I gave up on understanding the relative positions and just went with it.

cheetorBWORG
09-11-2010, 12:16 PM
How much are comics now-a-days?

Or, I guess I should ask... How much is this one gonna cost me?

Tekkamanraiden
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
$3.99US so depending on the comic shop anywhere from $3.99CAN to $4.99CAN

Sun Swipe Prime
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I know this goes against the grain here, but being a comic collector and having just read Drift #1, I have to say the writing was weak and the art was average. It felt like watching an episode of the unicron trilogy. Everything was rushed, without any care or time taken to justify actions or really develope character. It was shallow writing with nothing earned. As for the art, most of the time I had a hard time telling Wing and Drift apart. They were drawn almost exactly the same with only minor differences to distinguish them. I so wanted to like this, but for me, I won't be buying issue 2.

bedtime
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
i gave in and bought one on ebay. ugh.

chans formers
09-12-2010, 12:43 AM
man!!!!!!
this issue rocks!!
i love how turmoil looks!
the last page sells issue 2 for me too!!!!

bedtime
09-13-2010, 01:35 AM
so will the next book in the series be out this week? is that how its going to work? one per week or what?

Robimus
09-13-2010, 01:42 AM
so will the next book in the series be out this week? is that how its going to work? one per week or what?

One every two weeks or so.

Robimus
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Got my copy today.

I really liked this. I love how it incorporates aliens into the Transformers verse. More of the comics should do this.

Witterquick
09-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Read the copy I picked up of this last night. Seriously how do people like him? He's so incredibly Mary Sue i'm amazed IDW let it be published. Drift is certainly not for me.

GMfan
09-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Read the copy I picked up of this last night. Seriously how do people like him? He's so incredibly Mary Sue i'm amazed IDW let it be published. Drift is certainly not for me.

Psht...go look at IDW Spike in the recent ongoing if you want the definition of a Mary Sue.

Witterquick
09-18-2010, 01:07 AM
At least Spike is an established character, with previous background in different continuities. Not sure how that makes him better.....

Robimus
09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Drift has been a Mary Sue type character in IDW from his introduction to me, yet to me this comic moved away from that origin showing his extreme attitude problems.

Of course the ultimate Mary Sue in Transformers is Optimus Prime so I'm not sure that formula won't work for this franchise.;)

Witterquick
09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
How so? Op has flaws, actual character development and a personality. To me, Drift comes across as someone an 8 year old comes up with when asked to describe his version of "the coolest Transformer ever".

Of course this is all my opinion, anyone who enjoys the Drift comic and character are certainly entitled to their opinion.

Robimus
09-18-2010, 03:07 PM
How so? Op has flaws, actual character development and a personality. To me, Drift comes across as someone an 8 year old comes up with when asked to describe his version of "the coolest Transformer ever".

Name a flaw Optimus Prime has? And not knowing how to die properly isn't a flaw:p

Witterquick
09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Which continuity? G1? His compassion. (Also his greatest strength). Unicron Trilogy? Same thing. You could probably say this about most of the Primes throughout the years......except Rodimus. I don't think there's enough time in the day for that dude :p

chans formers
09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
And not knowing how to die properly isn't a flaw:p
^lolz!!!this made me bust out!!!:D^

payton34
09-18-2010, 11:17 PM
I know this goes against the grain here, but being a comic collector and having just read Drift #1, I have to say the writing was weak and the art was average. It felt like watching an episode of the unicron trilogy. Everything was rushed, without any care or time taken to justify actions or really develope character. It was shallow writing with nothing earned. As for the art, most of the time I had a hard time telling Wing and Drift apart. They were drawn almost exactly the same with only minor differences to distinguish them. I so wanted to like this, but for me, I won't be buying issue 2.

Sorry to say, I felt the same way...

zuffyprime
09-21-2010, 03:24 PM
perhaps we should stay on topic guys :)

Nullray
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I just finished reading this comic and found it to be entertaining. To me gives insight on how Megatron was able to recruit his army in respect to his origin story line. I liked that aspect. The only issue I had was on page 12 when the cloaked character (Wing) was standing beside Deadlock he was waist height. Couple pages later his cloak is burning off and they are the same height. Did he sprout? Thats the only thing I found to my disliking.