PDA

View Full Version : Generations Thrust Review + issues

JLvatron
08-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Thank the maker for Generations Thrust! :) I waited 3 years for him to be mass released, so I am a happy camper!
But he does have his issues, so here is a product/quality review.

Packaging & Instructions

-the paper twist ties aren't that much easier to remove cause some are actually tied in (loose) knots. I had to use scissors. :(
-Unlike Seaspray's 2 Transforming instructions (1 per direction), Thrust comes with the typical 1 instructions for Plane to Robot, then "Reverse order" written at the end

-the card says Level = 4 Easy, but the inside instructions say 2 Easy!

-The back image shows 2 action features: firing projectiles in Robot mode and launching missiles in Jet mode.

These are actually the same thing!!! :D

Quality Control issues

Unfortunately, Thrust suffers from alot of QC misses. I've found:

-His right chest wheel doesn't rotate out fully
-His gray plastic has white chafe marks all over

-His Burgandy plastic has pink stress marks, especially behind his cockpit in plane mode. This could be from real stress or maybe more chafing.

-Notice the yellow detailing on his shoulders:

his Right shoulder was painted upside down! :eek:

-his left elbow's pin extends out of the inner arm side. Be careful, kids, it's sharp!

Turbine bases

-The instructions always have his turbine bases under his small rear wings, while the packaging shows them on his regular large wings (classic look)

-Placing his turbine bases (or VTOL fan housings) on top of the wings actually gives it a raised look.

You can twist and push them further down into the holes, but this'll eventually crack out the wings, since the other side of the same hole will constantly be stressed itself; when inserting or removing the missile launchers during each Transform.

-I recommend protecting the wing and imroving his look by following the
Generations Thrust Fan housing mod (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=25010)
by Solscud007.

Coolness

-His turbines rotate! (difficult but happens)
-his colours are amazing. He looks just incredible.
-his copyright engraving says 2006!
-$18 is so much cheaper than BotCon 80+ $ !!!

Conclusion

Thrust has issues, at least the Canadian releases I've seen. Some are funny, others are sad on Hasbro's part. But NONE of these take away from the fact that he's a fantastic looking and Transforming Transformer.

Recommended for casual TF toy fans, and Strongly recommended for G1 fans! :)

Bruticus82
08-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Wait....shoulder painted upside down...seriously?

I hope they're not all like that. That's inexcusable...

Tekkamanraiden
08-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Nothing some paint and that awesome wing mod can't fix.

Mumps
08-15-2010, 04:56 PM
My thrust is near perfect. I can't really flaw it on anything QC related. Non-QC related though, I can fault it on not standing!

QuadESL63
08-15-2010, 05:02 PM
-His right chest wheel doesn't rotate out fully

Mine doesn't have this issue

brr-icy
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
watch out for the feet as well, they have been breaking off at the pin joint

JLvatron
08-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Wait....shoulder painted upside down...seriously?

I hope they're not all like that. That's inexcusable...

Mine doesn't have this issue

What about the rest? what was your packaging skill Level? And the elbow pin?

Yah, if you compare with the pics in the fan mod link, his shoulders are fine, maybe the rest too.

all 3 Thrusts at the Walmart had pink stress colours where I noted. The 1 I chose had it the least.

JLvatron
08-15-2010, 05:31 PM
watch out for the feet as well, they have been breaking off at the pin joint

Really? I didn't know that, thanks!

QuadESL63
08-15-2010, 06:48 PM
What about the rest? what was your packaging skill Level? And the elbow pin?

Yah, if you compare with the pics in the fan mod link, his shoulders are fine, maybe the rest too.

all 3 Thrusts at the Walmart had pink stress colours where I noted. The 1 I chose had it the least.

The skill level on mine is "2", Easy. Lucky you asked now since I'm going to junk the package ;)

Both shoulders were painted correctly, but the gold-yellowish paint was chipped a little bit on the right shoulder. I also don't see the pink stress mark behind the cockpit.

Mine actually came from Automaton Toys not Walmart... I don't know if this makes a difference.

However upon closer inspection I noticed that the eyes on my Thrust are not painted. Is that normal?

JLvatron
08-15-2010, 07:05 PM
The skill level on mine is "2", Easy. Lucky you asked now since I'm going to junk the package ;)

Both shoulders were painted correctly, but the gold-yellowish paint was chipped a little bit on the right shoulder. I also don't see the pink stress mark behind the cockpit.

Mine actually came from Automaton Toys not Walmart... I don't know if this makes a difference.

However upon closer inspection I noticed that the eyes on my Thrust are not painted. Is that normal?

Is your packaging english-only?
Lemme check his eyes for you

[check] Ok, his eyes are painted on mine. See the packaging with his eyes light yellow? It looks faint on the toy but if you hold it in the right lighting, it's very apparent. try holding him upside down, facing a light. Then turn your head upside down and look at him.
The yellow should show up well.

Pascal
08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Not getting him, but I thought he looked rather nice in packaging when I saw him the other day. I still prefer the Henkei version I used to have though.

Richter
08-16-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking I might grab one, mod the wings and put them on the superior deco'd body of the henkei version. The henkei has a great fuselage, but kinda ugly wings. Generations has better wings, but a weaker fuselage deco. 'Perfect Version'

QuadESL63
08-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Is your packaging english-only?
Lemme check his eyes for you

[check] Ok, his eyes are painted on mine. See the packaging with his eyes light yellow? It looks faint on the toy but if you hold it in the right lighting, it's very apparent. try holding him upside down, facing a light. Then turn your head upside down and look at him.
The yellow should show up well.

Thanks, yes, mine are painted after all: I pointed a LED flash light on the head and they shown. BTW, mine has English packaging

I'm actually surprised Hasbro kept the chromed cockpit from the Henkei since they didn't keep the other details and deco's

JLvatron
08-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Not getting him, but I thought he looked rather nice in packaging when I saw him the other day.

I immediately noticed the pink stress mark behind the cockpit; the other 2 had very bright pink 1's.
I'm not sure what else could have been noticed, though in-package.

JLvatron
08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm actually surprised Hasbro kept the chromed cockpit from the Henkei since they didn't keep the other details and deco's

Oh yah, that's great! :cool:
Again, despite the quality issues, Thrust is amazing especially for the price.

Protoman
08-16-2010, 07:48 PM
You know what REALLY burns me. My friend bought his 4 deluxes of Generations in the states and when comparing with mine. Our cardback has only the last line of everyone FULL PROFILE from the USA cardback, and it's not like we get a insert with the full tech spec and profile in "poster form" like in the past.....

ChrisW
08-16-2010, 07:50 PM
What do we get for the Generations line? I was expecting the international version of the bio (aka the really short version) and the tech specs on the back of the instructions. Do we not get that?

JLvatron
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Nope. No tech specs.

JLvatron
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
You know what REALLY burns me. My friend bought his 4 deluxes of Generations in the states and when comparing with mine. Our cardback has only the last line of everyone FULL PROFILE from the USA cardback, and it's not like we get a insert with the full tech spec and profile in "poster form" like in the past.....

Daniel, did your Thrust have the same issues as mine?

Protoman
08-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Daniel, did your Thrust have the same issues as mine?

Mine only really shows signs of the "factory badly cut of the modeling sprues" deal

JLvatron
08-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Mine only really shows signs of the "factory badly cut of the modeling sprues" deal

Man, that was so badly cut, wasn't it?

What about his right shoulder, is it painted upside down?

SleeplessKnight
08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
The left foot on mine doesn't seem to like staying all the way down in robot mode. Also, I think the joint where the pin is connecting is cracked from the pressure. I'm gonna have to be careful with that one.

brr-icy
08-21-2010, 10:50 PM
The left foot on mine doesn't seem to like staying all the way down in robot mode. Also, I think the joint where the pin is connecting is cracked from the pressure. I'm gonna have to be careful with that one.

take it apart and shave down the foot with a hobby knife

razin
08-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I have no stress marks on mine, I do however have the sh*tty sprue marks. This bugger is one of the tightest TF's I have ever bought. Legs take some force to pull down, as well as the feet. I also have the error packaging with Level 4 Easy.

Tekkamanraiden
08-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Picked up Thrust and Drift while I was in Buffalo yesterday, couldn't resist as they were $9.49us at Target. I haven't found any issues with either figure.

JLvatron
08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Picked up Thrust and Drift while I was in Buffalo yesterday, couldn't resist as they were $9.49us at Target. I haven't found any issues with either figure.

this is looking like a Canadian issue. English-package (US) Thrusts don't appear to be flawed.
Awesome price, man! :)

I have no stress marks on mine, I do however have the sh*tty sprue marks. This bugger is one of the tightest TF's I have ever bought. Legs take some force to pull down, as well as the feet. I also have the error packaging with Level 4 Easy.

I'm guessing you have the international package?

My Thrust doesn't have any tightness problems.
Does yours have the upside-down painted right shoulder?

razin
08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
this is looking like a Canadian issue. English-package (US) Thrusts don't appear to be flawed.

I'm guessing you have the international package?

My Thrust doesn't have any tightness problems.
Does yours have the upside-down painted right shoulder?

The packaging appears to be CDN, says hasbro Canada on the back of the card, but "Deluxe" in 4 languages.....we have 4 national languages here now?

The paint apps on mine are all correct, no upside down-ness on it.

brr-icy
08-22-2010, 01:33 PM

there are quite a few issues with the us version, same as the anywhere, the feedback thread and thread in toy discussion on tfw will show you that

Camaroman2
08-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Just got him. Mine has no Stress marks or problems whatsoever.

JLvatron
08-22-2010, 06:57 PM
The packaging appears to be CDN, says hasbro Canada on the back of the card, but "Deluxe" in 4 languages.....we have 4 national languages here now?

The paint apps on mine are all correct, no upside down-ness on it.

haha, yah it's international packaging here. :cool:

Yah, guess these problems aren't consistent, except for the fact that there are many of em showing up. :(

The 12th Prime
08-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Just bought a 2nd Thrust @ Walmart in north Whitby. The 1st Thrust I bought in Stoney Creek's Walmart had an issue with the right foot not going down, the right wheel not going fully out in jet mode, some spacing issues with the back of the legs and one ofe the launchers. Would the 2nd Thrust I bought have the same problems??? No way, what are the odds??? Answer, HELL YA! Plus the right wing on the second one is a little sloppy. Maybe I'll just keep the best parts and keep swapping until I have a perfect one.

brr-icy
08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Just bought a 2nd Thrust @ Walmart in north Whitby. The 1st Thrust I bought in Stoney Creek's Walmart had an issue with the right foot not going down, the right wheel not going fully out in jet mode, some spacing issues with the back of the legs and one ofe the launchers. Would the 2nd Thrust I bought have the same problems??? No way, what are the odds??? Answer, HELL YA! Plus the right wing on the second one is a little sloppy. Maybe I'll just keep the best parts and keep swapping until I have a perfect one.

the foot issues are fixable, but the spacing issues i have no idea about

Supernova
08-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Just got Thrust this afternoon...no QC problems that I've seen so far. Far better than 25th Starscream in every regard.

The only thing I'm actually concerned about is how tight he is. For the most part that won't be a problem, but rotating the hinges on the wings caused a few tense moments. Gotta be careful there!

ConvoyGTR
09-03-2010, 05:38 AM
I thought a got a perfect one with no sloppy paint on the wings, but when I transformed him, he's MISSING THE SILVER PAINT oh half of his right leg.

JLvatron
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I thought a got a perfect one with no sloppy paint on the wings, but when I transformed him, he's MISSING THE SILVER PAINT oh half of his right leg.

wow, too bad dude. I haven't heard about that 1! :(

Just got Thrust this afternoon...no QC problems that I've seen so far. Far better than 25th Starscream in every regard.

The only thing I'm actually concerned about is how tight he is. For the most part that won't be a problem, but rotating the hinges on the wings caused a few tense moments. Gotta be careful there!

Mine didn't have any tightness issues, but I believe other(s) have mentioned this problem in this thread.

And I agree, he's waaay better than 25th Starscream! :)

The 12th Prime
09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I fixed my Thrust by transplanting the one bad foot to one and keeping the good ones together, forgot about the bad little bit of red overpaint on his face and half gold on one hip. Well off to buy another one and some more surgery like a head and torso transplant.

Supernova
09-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Mine didn't have any tightness issues, but I believe other(s) have mentioned this problem in this thread.

And I agree, he's waaay better than 25th Starscream! :)

Yeah, after I posted that, I did transform him a number of times, and I don't feel quite so afraid of breaking his wings off anymore. But, I think I'll keep a gentle touch on him till he loosens up enough. :D

Ground Zero
09-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I never noticed any QC issues with mine, but then I never looked nearly as closely as you have :)

And I agree -- his f***ing awesome. Considering he's not the first seeker, he still managed to be my favorite figure in the Wave 1 Generations line. His colours are awesome and just "pop" compared to Starscream, animated Starscream, Acid Rain and Dirge.

ConvoyGTR
09-26-2010, 10:16 PM
So far, no one has mentioned the QC problems on the wings. I'll share with you the problems I encountered.

I literally went through a dozen Thrust and all of them had sloppy paint apps on the wings to varying degrees:

NOTE: I'VE HAD THRUST FOR A FEW WEEKS NOW, BUT THIS IS HOW IT WAS WHEN I GOT IT. I DIDN'T DMG IT IN ANY WAY.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/new%20folder/DSCF0206thumb.jpg (http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0206.jpg)
Those spots are the plastic showing through. I don't know what happened when it got sprayed...

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/new%20folder/DSCF0205thumb.jpg (http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0205.jpg)
Those red lines are I think the plastic underneath or red paint mixed with the white.

I don't know if anyone else had paint problems with their wings, but I went to 3 different stores and all the Thrust were like this.

Anyways, I managed to find one that had clean paint apps, (the one you see above is a second one I got) but this one had problems in different areas. So, I did some part swapping and now I got a perfect Thrust and one with paint app issues on the wings and QC issues like these:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/new%20folder/DSCF0211thumb.jpg (http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0211.jpg)
The paint is wrinkled.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/new%20folder/DSCF0210thumb.jpg (http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0210.jpg)
Sloppy apps like on the wings.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/new%20folder/DSCF0212thumb.jpg (http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0212.jpg)
Paint overrun on the silver plates.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/new%20folder/DSCF0213thumb.jpg (http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0213.jpg)
I don't think I've seen paint applied this thick and sloppy on any Transformer I've gotten.

So ya, check your Thrust and see if you got any paint probs on the wings, the other stuff is probably just on mine or very rare. Maybe I'm just really unlucky and all your wings are perfect...... :( Or maybe I'm just picky about how I like my wings to look :p

JLvatron
09-28-2010, 09:22 AM
So far, no one has mentioned the QC problems on the wings. I'll share with you the problems I encountered.

(http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/convoygtr/thrust/DSCF0206.jpg)

wow, great input! Thanks Convoy! :)

I checked my Thrust, he does have some minor bald spray points on his wings; it's notice-able, but it just doesn't look too bad. Especially after all the other problems this toy has.

I didn't see any wrinkling or sloppy paint on his side wings, but the plastic joint spots looks rough like yours.
No paint overrun on the silver plates.

And his right shoulder definitely is not sloppy painted, just painted upside down! I wonder if a batch was painted upside down and they were told to "fix it".

The only way was to manually bath remove the gold paint, then repaint it by hand. That would explain the fast slop job.

It looks like a bunch of parts were bad-batched, then assembly of these parts was at random so no 2 Thrusts have all the same issues.