PDA

View Full Version : Doing your own touchups, advise please!

razin
08-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I need some advise from our fellow customizers and anyone who has done touchups to their TF's.
My 2 recent arrivals Astrotrain and Blitzwing are in awesome shape but have the usual wear you can
expect from them. BW has a few chips on the nosecone paint and AT has the usual chipping on the black paint
(Die-cast) areas.
I have never done any touchups to anything so I need some advise/recommendations.
Ideally I want these to be as perfect as possible so I need to know what paints work best, what methods/techniques. etc.
I'd prefer not see any brush strokes, so whats the best way to avoid that?
As for the paint, I am only familiar with Testors, is this good for this? or something else?.
As for the colour, has anyone done these guys before and know the perfect match?
Any advise is appreciated!

Also, if this belongs in the custom/artwork section please move it. Wasnt sure as this to me isnt custom,
just touchup help.
Thanx

S.O.N.
08-13-2010, 09:48 PM
pm-ed

wheeljaxx
08-14-2010, 01:16 AM
there are brands of hobby paints that are "self leveling" that don't leave brush strokes at all, just can't remember the name. i've used a few in the past on model cars and planes.

as for the black on astrotrain, black nailpolish would work fine. it would stick to the diecast nice, and after a few coats, would level off the difference between bare diecast and the still painted parts.

razin
08-14-2010, 08:44 AM
pm-ed

Got it! Good stuff there, thanx!!

there are brands of hobby paints that are "self leveling" that don't leave brush strokes at all, just can't remember the name. i've used a few in the past on model cars and planes.

as for the black on astrotrain, black nailpolish would work fine. it would stick to the diecast nice, and after a few coats, would level off the difference between bare diecast and the still painted parts.

I was thinkin' nail polish could be an option just wasnt sure how it would adhere, as you said it should work nicely on Astrotrain. Blitzwing though is plastic, so it may chip? Dunno.

Thanx for the suggestions wheeljaxx and S.O.N!!
Starting this project soon!

S.O.N.
08-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Enamel paints are very durable and I haven't had any chipping with them on any of my customs. Sand, prime, and paint!