PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 37 - Canadian Snarl

GMfan
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Due to the appearance of special guest Derrick J Wyatt on this episode we've been requested to change the name of the show in order to comply with Hasbro guidelines. Other requests we received this episode required us to debate who is red and who is blue regarding Frenzy and Rumble, how do we assemble our now annual TFcon customizing class, and covering Galvatron in our episodic segment getting to know. Daniel closes with fanboyish love (or lust...you decide) over the recent reveal of Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy in Damn! I wish I designed that!!

Episode 37 - Canadian Snarl (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2037%20-%20Canadian%20Snarl.mp3)
Host: Chris w/ Daniel, Duncan, and Derrick J Wyatt
- Listener Question (from godspeed): On your shelf (so fig in hand, not fiction based) which is rumble and which is frenzy?
- Getting to know Galvatron (Requested by godspeed)
- TFcon Custom Class question (from Stapler): Is there a lot of research done before hand? What's it like to gather all the necessary figures to be used by the class? Are the customs that the class make based on a custom that Dak and crew created before?
- Damn I wished I designed that!! Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2037%20-%20Canadian%20Snarl.mp3)
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW! (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cybertron-ca-canadian-transformers/id337471858)

Protoman
08-06-2010, 11:44 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Stapler
08-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Downloading now. It's already past 1:00 AM here so I'll just wait and savor this with my breakfast tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to all the topics in this one and Mr. Wyatt is always a hoot! :)

Mumps
08-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Do I listen now, or wait until Monday so I have something to listen to at work! >.>
Yes, I am crazy like that.

EDIT: I caved! Awesome show guys, loved this one.

UltraPrimal
08-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Yay, fresh Canadian Slag...er, Snarl.

So where's the DJW donation link? :p

plowking
08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Fantastic episode. I'm always amazed by how much Daniel knows about tf stuff.....you're like a walking wikipedia!!

And yeah, I'd be willing to give DJW a buck!!...where's the link?!

LOL at the ending.

Keep up the good work fella's

Stapler
08-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Great episode so far, guys! I really appreciate the look into the organizing of the custom class. It's pretty much what I thought it would be and great to hear from the minds behind it. I'm sure you guys must have all kinds of plans and ideas but I can't help but wonder if you're open to suggestions for possible future projects?

Based on the criteria you guys spoke about, how about turning HFTD Hubcap into G2 Volt:

http://www.tfu.info/1994/Autobot/Volt/volt.htm

Just paint the arms yellow, add some flame decals (either paint or stickers) and maybe put an engine on the hood. I've been planning to do this myself.

Loved the GTK about Galvatron. I always loved the insane depiction of him in the 3rd season of the G1 show. As for him not being able to kill anyone in one blast after the movie? I like to think that Galvatron had a power source the drew from Unicron himself (similar how Megatron could draw power from a blackhole). After Unicron was destroyed, naturally Galvatron's connection to his additional power soarce was severed. That's what I like to think, anyway. ;)

You have to get Derrick on more often! It's great to have such a charming individual who both worked on our favorite franchise and shares our love for it. :)

Protoman
08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Based on the criteria you guys spoke about, how about turning HFTD Hubcap into G2 Volt:

http://www.tfu.info/1994/Autobot/Volt/volt.htm

Just paint the arms yellow, add some flame decals (either paint or stickers) and maybe put an engine on the hood. I've been planning to do this myself.

Like I always say Stapler, most TF molds initially colors are done in "less popular" paint schemes to cash in on the "new mold" marketing frenzy, after that when they do a repaint they will go the "homage" route like they have done with many others, clearly they will try to do something Laser Rod related with Hubcap. Normally mind you, when they do this, it's a faction switch repaint and thus while Volt is clearly the better choice for the mold design, it's too similar in colors and again, they will want to go a Decepticon route, so Transformers Yellow Pack Scout Jolt........ then again, we have a ROTF Jolt so........ this will get a little confusing.

Stapler
08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Like I always say Stapler, most TF molds initially colors are done in "less popular" paint schemes to cash in on the "new mold" marketing frenzy, after that when they do a repaint they will go the "homage" route like they have done with many others, clearly they will try to do something Laser Rod related with Hubcap. Normally mind you, when they do this, it's a faction switch repaint and thus while Volt is clearly the better choice for the mold design, it's too similar in colors and again, they will want to go a Decepticon route, so Transformers Yellow Pack Scout Jolt........ then again, we have a ROTF Jolt so........ this will get a little confusing.

Very good point there. I'm sure that's another factor you guys take into account when planning a custom class project.

And a deceptcon paying homage to Jolt wouldn't be confusing in the least. It would just end up being Shattered Glass Jolt anyway!:p

Protoman
08-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Also here is some proto stuff

http://i38.tinypic.com/jr3bkw.jpg

Malwave
08-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Also here is some proto stuff

http://i38.tinypic.com/jr3bkw.jpg

...look, it's G2 Unicron :p

still, I will admit, the orange and silver work much better. Makes him feel more threatening.

That and Ingestor is sort of an obvious name. :p

Stapler
08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised Takara hasn't done that as a repaint yet.

Malwave
08-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm surprised Takara hasn't done that as a repaint yet.

I'M surprised no customiser has done that repaint yet :p

Protoman
08-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I'M surprised no customiser has done that repaint yet :p

Convince someone to do that with the new casted TF:2010 Supreme Unicron. That's balls.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-07-2010, 04:17 PM
As for him not being able to kill anyone in one blast after the movie? I like to think that Galvatron had a power source the drew from Unicron himself...After Unicron was destroyed, naturally Galvatron's connection to his additional power soarce was severed.

This is what I've always believed. Galvatron was able to channel some kind of special energy from Unicron and therefore was very powerful. This being connected to his "mind-link" with Unicron, who could pretty much bend Galvatron to do his bidding. I also think that both the Sweeps and Cyclonus had a similar link and this can explain why the Sweeps blew Ultra Magnus apart with little effort in the movie.

It's also my belief that the destruction of Unicron and the consequential severing of his mind-link with Galvatron is what ultimately broke Galvatron's brain for Season 3 of G1. I guess the plasma bath could also be used to explain his sudden insanity but to me, it makes more sense that his mind being ripped from Unicron is what really did it.

Awesome episode by the way guys!! I can say that this was your best episode ever. And not just because you talked a deal about Galvatron lol, but the whole thing was just plain great! And wow, having DJW there must have been amazing for you. He seems like a really cool guy who truly has a passion for all things Transformers. And it helps that he likes Galvatron, of course. I can only imagine how cool Season 4 of Animated would have been with some of the ideas that he had in mind.

Besides the G1 and Beast Wars Galvatron, I don't know much about the personalities of Galvatron from the Armada, Energon, and Cybertron shows...mostly because I couldn't bring myself to watch further than the first few episodes. I'm wondering if the Galvatron's from those shows were any different in terms of their personalities from the Megatron's that (I assume) came before them. Can anyone who has seen these shows shed any light on this?

The only toy I had never heard of before this episode is the re-issue G1 Galvatron II with the green Matrix. Do any of you have a picture you could possibly post of this toy? It would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways that's all I have to say for now. Keep up the great work with your podcasts - they are the premiere TF podcasts on this planet.

Protoman
08-07-2010, 04:20 PM
http://tinyurl.com/27gkk27

http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/media/e_gentei/galvatron2_.jpg

Note the yellow/gold details on both the Galvatron II toy and the Scamble City promo art

Stapler
08-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Besides the G1 and Beast Wars Galvatron, I don't know much about the personalities of Galvatron from the Armada, Energon, and Cybertron shows...mostly because I couldn't bring myself to watch further than the first few episodes. I'm wondering if the Galvatron's from those shows were any different in terms of their personalities from the Megatron's that (I assume) came before them. Can anyone who has seen these shows shed any light on this?

Being a big Galvatron fan you probably already know this but, did you know that another G1 Galvatron (I don't think it was Galvatron or Galvatron II) faced off with Armada Megatron in the Armada comics? I never read it but it sounds like it would be one heck of a showdown.:)

Mighty_Galvatron
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Note the yellow/gold details on both the Galvatron II toy and the Scamble City promo art

Thank you for the pictures! I expected him to look more different in terms of his colouring...kind of disappointed with it. Those yellow/gold details are interesting though. Makes him look like a prince or something lol.

Man is he ever getting a massive head-kick from Magnus in that Scramble City art lol.

Being a big Galvatron fan you probably already know this but, did you know that another G1 Galvatron (I don't think it was Galvatron or Galvatron II) faced off with Armada Megatron in the Armada comics? I never read it but it sounds like it would be one heck of a showdown.:)

No I had no idea. Thanks a lot for the info. though, this is something I MUST look for.

When it comes to anything A-E-C, I know nothing. Yet I have the toys...

Stapler
08-07-2010, 04:58 PM
No I had no idea. Thanks a lot for the info. though, this is something I MUST look for.

When it comes to anything A-E-C, I know nothing. Yet I have the toys...

All I know about it is what I read from the TFwiki. Just scroll down to the Dreamwave Armada comic section.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Galvatron_%28G1%29

Avoid it if you don't want to read any spoilers but happy hunting, bud! :)

Mighty_Galvatron
08-07-2010, 05:04 PM
All I know about it is what I read from the TFwiki. Just scroll down to the Dreamwave Armada comic section.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Galvatron_%28G1%29

Avoid it if you don't want to read any spoilers but happy hunting, bud! :)

Thank a lot! :)

http://tinyurl.com/27gkk27

Just noticed that it looks like this version also has the newer eye sculpt. Interesting.

Protoman
08-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Thank a lot! :)

Just noticed that it looks like this version also has the newer eye sculpt. Interesting.

As I mentioned in the podcast, the reissue of Galvatron (both the purple version and this Galvatron II one) came with new sounds and a new sculpted face.

The Armada story that Stapler is refering to is World's Collide, this is a Galvatron from yet another alternate Universe and helps Unicron go from one timeline to another destroying not only everything in preperation for his planet sized master, but also to kill any Megatron of that timeline. He was about to finish off Armada Megatron but the Star Saber team showed up which turned the battle in A-Megatron's favor.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-08-2010, 12:03 PM
As I mentioned in the podcast, the reissue of Galvatron (both the purple version and this Galvatron II one) came with new sounds and a new sculpted face.

You mentioned a lot lol. Are the sounds different or the same between the purple Galvatron and Galvatron II?

The Armada story that Stapler is refering to is World's Collide, this is a Galvatron from yet another alternate Universe and helps Unicron go from one timeline to another destroying not only everything in preperation for his planet sized master, but also to kill any Megatron of that timeline. He was about to finish off Armada Megatron but the Star Saber team showed up which turned the battle in A-Megatron's favor.

Spoiled!

Protoman
08-08-2010, 07:28 PM
You mentioned a lot lol. Are the sounds different or the same between the purple Galvatron and Galvatron II?

They are both the same. But different from the original Hasbro/Takara 1986 release.

Mighty_Galvatron
08-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Apparently those yellow/gold details on Galvatron II are just self-applied stickers! Kind of weak if you ask me. I would have guessed that E-Hobby would have actually painted this "re-colour" in some way. :confused:

GogDog
08-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Great ep guys!