PDA

View Full Version : how to remove paint from plastic??

chisau
06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
I just got my Alternator Prime and i want to convert it to Alternator Slag.

What is the best thing to use to remove the red paint from the plastic model??

thanks.

dak
06-19-2007, 06:07 PM
um.... explain what paint you want removed.... are you wanting a spicific section with paint removed???

chisau
06-19-2007, 06:08 PM
um.... explain what paint you want removed.... are you wanting a spicific section with paint removed???

I want to remove all of primes' paint. turn him into a pure gray like his prototype. basically, make him paintless.

dak
06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
not possible. the red is the color of the plastic, not paint. color in plastic cannot be removed. the only way to make him fully grey is to use a primer. and use some nailpolish remover to remove the clearcoat finish on the plastic.

those prototypes are only for hasbro, and are then painted for color referance. the final product ends up being colored plastic.

chisau
06-19-2007, 06:55 PM
not possible. the red is the color of the plastic, not paint. color in plastic cannot be removed. the only way to make him fully grey is to use a primer. and use some nailpolish remover to remove the clearcoat finish on the plastic.

those prototypes are only for hasbro, and are then painted for color referance. the final product ends up being colored plastic.

is there a way to tell which part of alt-prime is colour plastic and which is part has paint on it??

dak
06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Other than detail, Paint is only applied to clear plastic, or if the main color of the plastic has elements of the main alt mode color. I don't have the toy infront of me right now, but the easiest way to know is to hold the part up to light. if you can see light through it, then it's colored plastic. and if you can't it's painted.

It is actually pretty easy to tell the differance between painted Plastic and colored plastic with the naked eye.

GMfan
06-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I can tell just by looking at it but if you really want to know whats coloured plastic and what isn't (keeping in mind this method will remove any paint so USE WITH CAUTION) take a Q-tip, dip in nail polish remover and rub it over any section you want to know what color the plastic is. Anything thats under the rubbed area is the colour of plastic.

dak
06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
don't rub too much cause I've found out, exposing plastic too long to the remover will actually eat away at the plastic.

chisau
06-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I just scratch the red plastic (out of curiosity) and it show gray under the red plastic.

I'm now very confused.

I'll try the nail polish remover next.

dak
06-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I've got 2 questions for you.

1. Do you actually have Alternators Prime, or is it the Kiss Play version?

2. where did you scratch off the paint?

chisau
06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
I've got 2 questions for you.

1. Do you actually have Alternators Prime, or is it the Kiss Play version?

2. where did you scratch off the paint?

Alternator prime

the roof of the truck.

I am noticing that alternator prime have 2 shade of red.

GMfan
06-20-2007, 01:15 AM
don't rub too much cause I've found out, exposing plastic too long to the remover will actually eat away at the plastic.

This is true it practically destroyed the Classic Thundercracker I made at the joint where you pull back to pop in the cockpit for robot mode. I fixed most of it with super glue but theres still one section thats not 100%. Another tip with the nail polish remover, it eats away glue, it seperated TC's shoulders but since there was only one glob holding it before I added some to the sides to reinforce them alittle.

chisau
06-22-2007, 11:19 PM
what brand of nail polish remover should i use?? i tried the life brand today and it does nothing.

GMfan
06-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Most nail polish removers are essentially the same..I don't really know what brand I use I just took what I could find in the bathroom :P

chisau
06-23-2007, 12:10 AM
is there a better way to remove paint??

it would take forever if i keep rubbing away with nail polish remover.

Dark Rage
06-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Nail polish remover? Maybe it's best to dilute it a bit more.

I'm sure i'm definitely not a pro at this, but I've had some experience doing some gundam modelling, so it might be a bit similar. Maybe reading some of the gundam modelling forums/websites could help.

I would recommend diluted model kit paint thinner, such as Tamiya or Gunze Sangyo. You can decide whether you want to use Acrylic (water-based) or enamel (oil-based) paints. Acrylic isn't as difficult to apply or clean up, but doesn't offer as a nice finish as enemel paint could (smoother/glossy finish), but enamel paints are a real mess to clean since it's oil-based.

You can ask a modeler shop for advice, they could offer some good info, even though model kits plastics definitely aren't as druable/different as toy plastics.

dak
06-23-2007, 01:00 AM
if it's not removing any paint after a few min, there is no paint. likeI said there is really no paint on Prime. the roof could be a greyish color because of the window color. but I honestly believe you are not going to remove any color from the plastic. if you really want to use something powerful, get some gloves, a good cleaning pad, and some acetone. but if Life brand Nail Polish remover is doing nothing, there is no paint. trust me.

chisau
06-23-2007, 01:35 AM
dak, do you have any free time in your schedule?? i love to get your help on this project in the near future. lets do lunch.

Knockout
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM
...I remove factory paints from both Transformers and Monster High dolls for customs and the best product I used is:

Up&Up Brand Nail Polish Remover Acetone Maximum Strength. ( It has a blue lid, white label, blue arrow and a diamond on the front. Comes in a 6 FL OZ for like less then $3 bucks)

When it comes to removing the paint it's fast, easy to do and can be done in less then 5 mins.

HOWEVER: Using on Vinyl is fine. But Acetone does eat plastics. Do NOT soak your figure in it. There is no soaking required, or hard rubbing, or even scrubbing. Rub it off with a clothed/paper towel corner, or q-tip and re-wet as necessary then important!

WASH YOUR FIGURE OR THE AREA YOU JUST TOOK OFF THE PAINT with running water until you believe the Acetone is off. It will continue to eat your figure even if you think it's dry or gone if you do not wash after.

Also if you doing a large area say OP's entire cabin, wash periodically while removing the paint to prevent the Acetone sitting too long on already done areas.

brr-icy
03-10-2013, 08:44 PM
rubbing alcohol works very well on hasbro paint

Woodlm
03-10-2013, 09:12 PM
is there a better way to remove paint??

it would take forever if i keep rubbing away with nail polish remover.

From my model kit building days....
Try to get an industrial brand of oven cleaner. Not "Easy Off", you need some kind of off brand with all the terrible chemicals in it.

Now a word of caution. Oven cleaner is corrosive. I used this on polystyrene model kits and the paint comes off with paper towel after treatment with the oven cleaner. But don't know how it will work on this kind of plastic. If the figure is in fact painted, then you may want to remove a part first just to test spray.

Also, do this in a WELL ventilated area..... anywhere you are considering breathing again.

Just a crazy idea, anyone have thoughts?

SleeplessKnight
03-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Holy threadomancy batman! This thread is from SIX YEARS AGO!!! *cue spooky music*

The information in it however is timeless. There will always be someone who wants to know how to remove paint from their toys. I'm sure there are probably several other paint removal threads in the customs and artwork section of the board.

Badgertron
03-11-2013, 02:57 AM
I just lick it off.

JLvatron
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
I just lick it off.

lol!
Lead paint sure has a great cherry flavour!