PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Lite Questions

RedOktobre
06-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Is anyone here familiar with the Nintendo DS Lite?

Specifically, I would like to know how to enable the advanced features. I have heard that you can buy special memor cards (R4?) and/or parts which enable the DS Lite to perform additional advanced functions NOT officially sanctioned by Nintendo.

Can someone enlighten me?

thanx.

RedOktobre

Dark Rage
06-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey, I have an R4, it's a Slot 1 (DS lite cartridge) flashcard. It enables you to play downloaded roms of DS lite games, has cheating features, the operating system software is skinnable and has a video/music player program.

The flashcard works w/ a MICRO SD Card (since some ppl assume it's any sd card, and works by having the micro sd card in the flashcard, which goes in to ds lite. Yeah, very small card.

I bought mine from Dealextreme.com, very good site for small electronics in general. Free shipping for certain products too.

You should check out this (http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413616) thread on more info/feedback about it. Now's the best time to buy it, since the Loonie's so strong.

Dark Rage
06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh yeah, if u want to link up to GBA games, i don't know if some of the Slot 2 (GBA cartridge slot) flashcards will work or not. Slot 2 IMO isn't that great, since you always need a passkey (a card w/ a certain key to allow the slot 2 flashcard operating system to boot up when you turn on the ds lite).

Again, youtube is pretty useful now for reviews and such. The popular Slot 2 cards I've heard of is the G6 or the M3 Perfect. Although I've heard that if you insert the R4 (or any other slot 1 flashcard), it'll act as the passkey, but I honestly don't know which flashcard OS will boot up, probably the slot 1 though.

The M3 Simply is also a popular slot 1 flashcard, and is essentially the same card as the R4's but have different software, and R4 gets their firmware updates usually 2 weeks before M3's almost everytime. Both have the same skin file types though.

yuppa
06-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I love the homebrew apps available, i bought a m3 simply, now i run irc and msn on my ds, among other things :)

RedOktobre
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanx guys for the information.

I have another question.

I have heard of another memory card called:

DS One Supercard

Have you guys heard about this memory card? How does this card compare to the R4 card?

thanx.

RedOktobre

RandomFerret
06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Slot 2 carts work without a passme if you're using GBA roms or homebrew, it's only when you're using DS features that it needs to read them from slot 1.

jourdo
07-08-2007, 12:30 PM
OK, this has got me curious. I'm not sure I understand the whole slot1/slot 2 thing. If you have a slot 2 card, you can play GBA roms, but require a passkey (?) to play DS roms? Is it safe to assume that if you have the slot 1 card, you can do both? Can anyone clarify the difference between the two for me.

Thanks.

Dark Rage
07-08-2007, 04:27 PM
You can have a Slot 1 Flashcard (like the R4 or M3) acting as a passkey (usually, might not work with all slot 2 flashcards, which also need pass keys).

Some slot 2 flashcards may or may not include a flashcard, so you may have to buy it separately.

Why would you want a slot 2 flashcard though? I thought it still wasn't possible to play GBA games, but that was only for slot 1 flashcards...oh nvm then.

I bought my R4 from dealextreme.com
they have free shipping on some items, payment thru paypal, and have low prices (you won't be dinged by customs), but shipping may be slow (2-3 weeks). They also sell other flashcards, if you're interested.

OK, this has got me curious. I'm not sure I understand the whole slot1/slot 2 thing. If you have a slot 2 card, you can play GBA roms, but require a passkey (?) to play DS roms? Is it safe to assume that if you have the slot 1 card, you can do both? Can anyone clarify the difference between the two for me.

Thanks.

Icetron
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
You can have a Slot 1 Flashcard (like the R4 or M3) acting as a passkey (usually, might not work with all slot 2 flashcards, which also need pass keys).

Some slot 2 flashcards may or may not include a flashcard, so you may have to buy it separately.

Why would you want a slot 2 flashcard though? I thought it still wasn't possible to play GBA games, but that was only for slot 1 flashcards...oh nvm then.

I bought my R4 from dealextreme.com
they have free shipping on some items, payment thru paypal, and have low prices (you won't be dinged by customs), but shipping may be slow (2-3 weeks). They also sell other flashcards, if you're interested.

Yeah, dealextreme is a pretty good site. Their service is not bad. :) I'm using EZFlash IV because I play GBA games, but my friend has ordered many M3 DS Simply's (Slot 1) from dealextreme, no problems so far. If you want to play GBA games then get a slot 2, if you don't then you should just grab a slot 1 (M3DSS/R4 or EZV are probably the better ones).

jourdo
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, dealextreme is a pretty good site. Their service is not bad. :) I'm using EZFlash IV because I play GBA games, but my friend has ordered many M3 DS Simply's (Slot 1) from dealextreme, no problems so far. If you want to play GBA games then get a slot 2, if you don't then you should just grab a slot 1 (M3DSS/R4 or EZV are probably the better ones).

What if I want to do both? Do I need both cards?

Icetron
07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
What if I want to do both? Do I need both cards?

If you want to do both you could buy both since the slot 1 card can work as a passcard to boot the slot 2. The advantage is that you could fill your slot2 with GBA games and fill your slot1 with DS games. But you would need 2 microsd memory cards instead.

The thing is that if you just use a slot 1 card, you can use the slot 2 for the official RAM pack (browser) or rumble pack.

To make things easier, EZV expansion pack (has rumble, RAM and GBA option too I think). Actually if you get the EZV slot 1 + EZV expansion pack, I think it might be just as good as having both. I'm not quite sure exactly how that works.

You should be able to find lots of information at
www.gbatemp.net