PDA

View Full Version : will preregistration payment be accepted by anything other than money order?

RavageX-9
05-08-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm pretty sure last year the only form of payment they accepted was money order. I was wondering if perhaps this year they might accept PayPal or credit cards via online preregistration.

Super_Megatron
05-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Paypal and credit cards would drive up the costs of admission so are not an option at this time.

Big Filipino
05-08-2010, 01:09 PM
What if the paypal payments are made as personal payments to avoid fees? Could that be allowed?

Matrix_Holder
05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Have the pre-registration emails been sent out yet?

GMfan
05-08-2010, 02:14 PM
What if the paypal payments are made as personal payments to avoid fees? Could that be allowed?

I'm more then certain paypal would notice over 300 people sending a "gift" of the exact same amount to the same person fishy. It's more or less paypal fraud.

rid
05-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm more then certain paypal would notice over 300 people sending a "gift" of the exact same amount to the same person fishy. It's more or less paypal fraud.
I don't think that's what the OP meant. Usually, when sending PayPal payment from a person's account (rather than from a credit card) there is no fees to pay. Neither on the sending side nor the receiving side. I think that is what the OP meant.

JLvatron
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I was under the impression that receiving paypal money from any source requires a fee.

rid
05-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I was under the impression that receiving paypal money from any source requires a fee.
There is a fee to pay when a business account receives money from any source

There is a fee to pay when a non-business account receives money from a credit card.

There is no fee to pay when a non-business account receives money from a PayPal account balance.

At least, that applies to my non-business account.

General Tekno
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Couldn't you guys always require the sender to pay the Paypal fees if any exist?

CyberMnky
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Would this be convenient and awesome? yes. Practical to implement for an entire convention? No...

As much as I would like to have the ease of paying with my credit card or paypal, I totally get the organizers point on this one. thankfully I get 12 free money orders a year from my bank!!

Nemesis Predaking
05-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Would this be convenient and awesome? yes. Practical to implement for an entire convention? No...

As much as I would like to have the ease of paying with my credit card or paypal, I totally get the organizers point on this one. thankfully I get 12 free money orders a year from my bank!!

I got to agree with CyberMnky. TFCon is one of the best parts of the year for me.
So I really don't care what I have to do to register.

Plus it beats a fax machine :p

EnragedCoconut
05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I've never paid with a money order. They're a huge pain in the ass to get. I've always just asked what the cost would be for paypal or credit card and they've sent it to me. I'd rather pay the extra than spend my valuable time and energy dealing with a *shudder* bank.

HC

Super_Megatron
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
The problem with PayPal is someone can come to the convention, pick up the toy, then turn around and tell PayPal they never received it. This is why PayPal will not be an option.

Phalanx
05-08-2010, 10:11 PM
(...)
I'd rather pay the extra than spend my valuable time and energy dealing with a *shudder* bank.
(...)

Well, there's always the post office...

Dark Rage
05-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Money order costs $7.50 at most banks, and I think around $5-6 at Money Mart or Western Union.

Interac EMT (http://www.interac.ca/consumers/productsandservices_ol_emt.php) (Email Money Transfer) is also an option, all the major 5 banks offer it now. It costs only $1.50 to send (I checked each bank), regardless of the amount. The limit will of course depend on your bank account limit.

How it works: Both users have an email associated to a particular bank account. The sender wants to initiate an EMT to a the recipient. Typically, the sender enters in their email associated to their EMT. They get the receiver's email associated to the the receiver's own bank account and enter it in. The receiver just needs to give a password to the recipient in order to get the funds instantaneously.

As soon as the funds are sent, the sender can't pull any of that Paypal did not receive bullshit.

Something to consider, since this method is cheaper and faster than money order (which usually takes 5-7 business days to clear, and might even bounce). Only the sender pays the $1.50 CDN fee, the receiver has no fees at all.

Super_Megatron
05-08-2010, 10:49 PM
^ This is definitely something to look into moving forward, but details as how to track what payment is coming from who etc will still need to tested out. So right now the only option will be money order for prereg.

Dark Rage
05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
The sender can just send the email with the following:

Name:
Password:
Amount sent:

I don't think this method is as messy as physical envelopes, just a separated folder for EMT payment emails.

The EMTs last about a month before expiring (I believe the funds go back to the sender).

Cliffjumper69
05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Id love to got with the EMT, but if we need M.Os I do it that way ;)

CJ

Phalanx
05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Money order costs $7.50 at most banks, and I think around $5-6 at Money Mart or Western Union.
(...)

And Canada Post charges $5.50 (http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/ratesprices/shop/moneyorders.jsf?mode=web)...

Dark Rage
05-09-2010, 12:33 AM
And Canada Post charges $5.50 (http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/ratesprices/shop/moneyorders.jsf?mode=web)...

Good to know. Do you need to bring cash or can you purchase through a credit/debit card?

skinsquad
05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
The sender can just send the email with the following:

Name:
Password:
Amount sent:

I don't think this method is as messy as physical envelopes, just a separated folder for EMT payment emails.

The EMTs last about a month before expiring (I believe the funds go back to the sender).

Also, you can write out a message to the receiver with your personal info so that they know who you are and what you are paying for.

The reciever would accept the money and the sender would get instant email notification that it was accepted. Sending money orders via Canada Post is not the most reliable. Mail gets lost all the time. Not to mention the hassle for the organizers opening up all those envelopes.

Richter
05-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Every time I've had to send a money order it has been a nightmare

I'd love it if there was an EMT, paypal or credit card option. I'd rather spend $5 extra on an easy transaction than a crappy one at the bank

QuadESL63
05-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Good to know. Do you need to bring cash or can you purchase through a credit/debit card?

Haven't bought one for a while but I remember all postal outlets/post offices only accept cash for postal money order.

Tekkamanraiden
05-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Haven't bought one for a while but I remember all postal outlets/post offices only accept cash for postal money order.

No you can pay using a debit card as well. You just can't use a credit card.

JLvatron
05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
The problem with PayPal is someone can come to the convention, pick up the toy, then turn around and tell PayPal they never received it. This is why PayPal will not be an option.

true dat. Last year I sold the TFcon exclusive to an friend in the US. He asked for it to be delivered to his work address since it was more convenient for him; but Paypal only protected me sending to his official address.

So I had to tell a nice guy "no". Thanks to Paypal.

Every time I've had to send a money order it has been a nightmare

really? I used m.order when I attended my 1st convention; don't remember any problems.

CyberMnky
05-09-2010, 04:21 PM
I've never had any problems with them myself...

Mumps
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Tomorrow I am about to find out if I will have problems with money orders, lol.

First time doing one of those, gonna see if my bank offers me free ones, if not I will just go to the post office.

Dark Rage
05-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow I am about to find out if I will have problems with money orders, lol.

First time doing one of those, gonna see if my bank offers me free ones, if not I will just go to the post office.

Unless you're an employee or a senior, don't count on it.

Matrix_Holder
05-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Is the registration in Canadian funds or US funds?

GMfan
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Canadian. The convention is in Canada.