PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Slag Episode 31 - Repaint This!

GMfan
05-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Buckle in...it's kind of a long one! After all the positive feedback for Ryan's last on my chest segment we thought we'd give him another shot, this time tackling an age old complaint in this fandom...the dreaded repaints...but are they really that bad? If the negative one doesn't think so, how can you?!? After gaining some insight and maybe a new perspective stay tuned to learn the Slaggers favourite and worst Transformer decos, getting to know Ransack, a how awesome would that be discussion on proper historical alt modes for Beast Wars, and finally a call in segment on customs.

Episode 31 - Repaint This! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2031%20-%20Repaint%20This%21.mp3)
Host: Chris (GMfan) w/ Daniel (Protoman), Ryan (soundwaveCA), Kyle (Team Jetfire)
- Why the new GMfan and soundwaveCA? (for CJ)
- soundwaveCA's On my chest, War on repaints! (for jackalprime/Metroplex79)
- Favourite and worst deco on any toy.
- Getting to know Ransack (for Metroplex79)
- How awesome would that be!? Proper prehistoric alt modes for Beast Wars
- Call in segment with Brent (Malwave)

DOWNLOAD NOW! (http://www.cybertron.ca/podcast/Canadian%20Slag%2031%20-%20Repaint%20This%21.mp3)
(Click the link to play in browser or right click and save if you wish to download outside of iTunes)

WE'RE ON ITUNES! (don't forget to rate AND give reviews ;) click the Slag banner in my sig!)

Malwave
05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
awesome! :D

XD now to hear how bad I sound when I'm nervous ftw xD

Nocturn
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Downloadan

keanu577
05-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey ryan are you cranky? "EXCUSE ME!" you! ROFL!

Malwave
05-01-2010, 10:33 PM
lol nice XDD

okay, since I wanna add my own opinion...

Best repaints;

Universe 2.0 Ratbat - for some reason this version of the Noisemaze mold just...works. When I saw the coloiur scheme for the original (both Noisemaze and Sideways), and while I do like Noisemaze a bit more than Hasbro's version of the paint scheme, just didn't fit the character.

RiD Scourge - taking as a guy who has owned both cabs from Laser Prime and Scourge, I can tell you I prefer Scourge's colours over the Laser Prime any day. The teal and black just work together perfectly. Not to mention the red light-piping is just delicious. :p

Flash Lio Convoy - What? Translucent gold and white plastic with sparkles looks cool. Right?......right?

Worst repaints;

Botcon Thunderclash - good......f--king.....god. I love the figure, but there are days I wish I'd bought Flak instead. This mold looked way better as Rodimus; the white and turquoise go about as well together as Aerosmith and Micheal Buble, and the decals - while working as an homage - don't work with this toy.

Orion Pax - this toy is a mixed-bag. Yes, I understand this is what Prime was supposed to look like before becoming "Prime", but again did he look old and cranky like Kup? Probably not. The whole Prime look on a Kup is both surreal and kinda distracting personally. Not saying the idea was bad but, coulda been better.

Animated Rescue Ratchet - As Vangelus put it, he looks like a crossing guard. This Ratchet was trying to homage the movie Ratchet...and failed. Yellow is wrong, face looks horrible. Glad I bought the original version that mold.

:p

Protoman
05-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Word.

Stapler
05-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I'll give this a listen tomorrow when I'm enjoying my mourning (or noon depending on when I get up) bagel and coffee. Screw the Sunday funnies, Canadian Slag is the best thing to enjoy with your breakfast!
I like these call-in segments because they let me put voices to the posts. I'm looking forward to see how much/little my mental voice for your posts is to the real thing, Mal.:D

TMIIWonkoNemises
05-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I like these call-in segments because they let me put voices to the posts. I'm looking forward to see how much/little my mental voice for your posts is to the real thing, Mal.:D

I don't know,personally I think how Chris addressed Malwave is the voice I think about when reading his Posts.

Going to listen to this Podcast a little later.

Malwave
05-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I'll give this a listen tomorrow when I'm enjoying my mourning (or noon depending on when I get up) bagel and coffee. Screw the Sunday funnies, Canadian Slag is the best thing to enjoy with your breakfast!

let me assure you it ISN'T what you expect x3

@ Nem; you imagine Chris sounding like he's pinching his nose as his voice for his posts? XD

Cliffjumper69
05-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Dude! No love for Animated Defensor? :eek: I know hes a parts-former but...... :( CHRIS your heart breaker!!!! :p

Great show guys, I lol'd a lot ;)

CJ

TMIIWonkoNemises
05-01-2010, 11:35 PM
let me assure you it ISN'T what you expect x3

@ Nem; you imagine Chris sounding like he's pinching his nose as his voice for his posts? XD

No,I imagine Chris' 'impersonation' of you while reading your Posts Malwave.

Malwave
05-01-2010, 11:38 PM

XD thaaanks

TMIIWonkoNemises
05-01-2010, 11:39 PM
XD thaaanks

lol,all in good fun,my friend.

Nocturn
05-01-2010, 11:39 PM
FINE. Rated, reviewed.

ANYWHO
I have nothing else to say. Solid banter! Lots of Otie, which can never be a bad thing.

Unless...

Malwave
05-01-2010, 11:44 PM
lol,all in good fun,my friend.

x3 lol of course

GMfan
05-02-2010, 01:21 AM
lol nice XDD

okay, since I wanna add my own opinion...

Worst repaints;

Botcon Thunderclash - good......f--king.....god. I love the figure, but there are days I wish I'd bought Flak instead. This mold looked way better as Rodimus; the white and turquoise go about as well together as Aerosmith and Micheal Buble, and the decals - while working as an homage - don't work with this toy.

Orion Pax - this toy is a mixed-bag. Yes, I understand this is what Prime was supposed to look like before becoming "Prime", but again did he look old and cranky like Kup? Probably not. The whole Prime look on a Kup is both surreal and kinda distracting personally. Not saying the idea was bad but, coulda been better.

Animated Rescue Ratchet - As Vangelus put it, he looks like a crossing guard. This Ratchet was trying to homage the movie Ratchet...and failed. Yellow is wrong, face looks horrible. Glad I bought the original version that mold.

:p

Universe 2.0 Ratbat - good, not great
RiD Scourge - don't have one
Flash Lio Convoy - awful

Botcon Thunderclash - I like this mold, crappy colours....would have been better as leader Cybertron Optimus
Orion Pax - Doesn't seem right
Animated Rescue Ratchet - You thief

Canadian Slag is the best thing to enjoy with your breakfast!

Sig'd for the month

I don't know,personally I think how Chris addressed Malwave is the voice I think about when reading his Posts.

Going to listen to this Podcast a little later.

Hey guys, GM here

you imagine Chris sounding like he's pinching his nose as his voice for his posts? XD

Thanks, I have no sense of smell either you wanna talk about that some?

Dude! No love for Animated Defensor? :eek: I know hes a parts-former but...... :( CHRIS your heart breaker!!!! :p

:P I thought it was for completed pieces only!

XD

FINE. Rated, reviewed.

ANYWHO
I have nothing else to say. Solid banter! Lots of Otie, which can never be a bad thing.

Unless...

lemme guess...more Nocturn?

Cliffjumper69
05-02-2010, 01:24 AM
:P I thought it was for completed pieces only!

Aright Chris, I forgive you ;) My heart has a transformers band-aid on it :p

CJ

Malwave
05-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Universe 2.0 Ratbat - good, not great
RiD Scourge - don't have one
Flash Lio Convoy - awful

Botcon Thunderclash - I like this mold, crappy colours....would have been better as leader Cybertron Optimus
Orion Pax - Doesn't seem right
Animated Rescue Ratchet - You thief

XD hey...Flash Lio is the cheaper version of the mold. If I want a Lio Convoy colour scheme, all I need to do is crack open my Leo Prime white veriant and bam...

shit...that shoulda been the entry XD

Hey guys, GM here

Look who's calling who a thief :eek:. Gimme my topic intro back D:

Thanks, I have no sense of smell either you wanna talk about that some?

no, I'm good lol :D

Nocturn
05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
lemme guess...more Nocturn?

I... Um... What?

I mean yes, more Nocturn is always a good thing....

Stapler
05-02-2010, 12:48 PM
That was a fun episode, guys, lots of laughs to be had. For my all time fave repaints I'll have to go with Classics Heavyload, and movie Crankcase.
I really like the "How Awesome Would That Be" segment. The prehistoric mammals would be great to see. I would really love to see a freakin' terror bird!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_bird

And the dodo. Dodo's rocks. You know... I think a great topic for the next HAWTB would be fuzors. What animals would you love to see combined and whatnot.

GMfan
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM
That was a fun episode, guys, lots of laughs to be had. For my all time fave repaints I'll have to go with Classics Heavyload, and movie Crankcase.
I really like the "How Awesome Would That Be" segment. The prehistoric mammals would be great to see. I would really love to see a freakin' terror bird!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_bird

And the dodo. Dodo's rocks. You know... I think a great topic for the next HAWTB would be fuzors. What animals would you love to see combined and whatnot.

Yes!!! The "terror bird" was what I had in mind but went with the Dromornithids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromornithidae). Then you got Gomphothere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomphotheres) for ancient Elephants (tell me THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phiomia.JPG) don't look cool). Or even one of these (http://static.creativecrash.com/tutorialimages/379/dim.JPG) dudes (Deinotherium). Megaloceros (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Irish_Elk.jpg), I dunno how he kept his head up with those things...or hell anyone of these wicked looking prehistoric Rhino's (http://media.photobucket.com/image/prehistoric%20rhino/4EverEden2/Prehistoric%20Mammals/Rhinocerotids/PrehistoricRhinocerosBrontotheresan.jpg)!!!

The possibilities are insane!

Shockwave 75
05-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I agree that BW needed more prehistoric animals beyond just the two or three dinosaurs it had. One of the reasons Big Convoy is so cool is because he's a friggin mastodon!
Hasbro kinda dropped the ball there. They really could have taken the opportunity to use their product to educate kids about some of the amazing animals that existed in our planet's past. And it would have sold the "Are they on Earth or an alien world" thing in the first season much better.

I am also in the pro-repaint camp. There are some repaints that completely overshadow the originals. The one you guys brought up was Primal Prime, who is vastly far superior to Optimal Optimus. Even with the non-shoot-yourself-in-the-face light button. Why the hell wasn't this the scheme chosen for Op Op?! Ok, sure they are the same colours that TM Op had, and they don't look so bad on him. Maybe it's just that Op Op is such a larger "canvas" that they become more noticable and garish.

And I can't remember who said it, but my TM2 Megatron has absolutley no shade of pink on him anywhere. Maybe yours is just miscoloured somehow. And the only part on my Cryotek that is the "whitish-gray" is his face, which I actually prefer to Megs dark brown/almost black. At least you can see the detail on Cryo's face. Megs is just a dark blob with some orange, white, and green on it.

I can't really think of any bad repaints simply because if I think something looks bad I don't buy it, and I just forget about it.

But some that I like are:

Universe Ratbat from Cyb Sideways.
Universe Springer from Cyb Evac (the colour scheme just really fits him)
Energon Ultra Magnus (like Prml Prm, the scheme this mold always should have had)
Universe Razorclaw from Tigerhawk
ROTF Bruticus (I wish I could just get the upgrade accessories without the figures cuz I really like the figures it comes with)

Shockwave 75
05-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I have a topic for discussion on a future podcast: Originals vs Reissues. Inspired by this thread (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=22800).

I have always maintained that originals will always be superior to a reissue simply because it is an original.
All things being equal I will always take an original over a reissue.
Sure I do own my fair share of reissues, but they are mostly of characters that I just can't be bothered to track down an original for/don't mean that much to me (like my Rodimus Prime), or the original would be prohibitivley expensive (like my Star Convoy).

I think it could be an interesting topic.

Oh, and I think you should call the "On my chest" segment "Grinds my gears". Sure it's from Family Guy, but its a good fit for a TF podcast.

GMfan
05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I have a topic for discussion on a future podcast: Originals vs Reissues. Inspired by this thread (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=22800).

I dunno what there's to say about this....it's all just opinions. Personally it doesn't bother me either way as I'm not really a G1 collector and the few that I want I'd rather have a reissue because it'll be like brand new. I fail to see how an original is better if it's most of the time incomplete, or has sticker wear, or sun damage etc.

If the reissue is exactly the same but better, or an improvement then I don't know how anyone can say the original is better. Just saying "because it's the original" is not a really a viable argument. HOW does being the original make it better?

Oh, and I think you should call the "On my chest" segment "Grinds my gears". Sure it's from Family Guy, but its a good fit for a TF podcast.

On my chest will and forever be On my chest. It's too slag slang and suiting to be changed to anything else.

Nemesis Predaking
05-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Good show guys.
You guys made me choke on my coffee, during a certain part.
Can you guess which one ?

Malwave
05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Good show guys.

when I came on? :p

Protoman
05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Good show guys.

We tend to make people gag on a regular basis.

Nemesis Predaking
05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
when I came on? :p

It was around that time, but it was not you. :D

We tend to make people gag on a regular basis.

I get the same reaction.

GMfan
05-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Good show guys.

When we all agreed? :P ;)

Metroplex79
05-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Great podcast as usual gang.

More suggestions to go with the piles from before :p

Getting to know:
-Fireflight
-Hoist
-Long Haul
-Top Spin/Twin Twist
-Windrazor

Product Highlight:
-decoys
-titanium
-Machine Wars

(Top 3 or Top 5) Favorite:
-PVCs (SCF or HOC)
-decoys (to go with Product Highlight segment)
-Micromasters
-Robot Heroes

Malwave
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Great podcast as usual gang.

Getting to know:
-Fireflight
-Hoist
-Long Haul
-Top Spin/Twin Twist
-Windrazor

Product Highlight:
-decoys
-titanium
-Machine Wars

(Top 3 or Top 5) Favorite:
-PVCs (SCF or HOC)
-decoys (to go with Product Highlight segment)
-Micromasters
-Robot Heroes

and the "writer" of Canadian Slag has struck again xD

I think maybe a "Getting to Know..." of Dirge, Downshift or Soundwave would be cool x3

Protoman
05-02-2010, 10:27 PM
No getting to know "top tier" characters. Not only are they BORING, but they would take whole episodes, hell maybe even 2.

Nocturn
05-02-2010, 10:30 PM
No getting to know "top tier" characters. Not only are they BORING, but they would take whole episodes, hell maybe even 2.

So we'll never hear a Getting to Know: Nocturn???

Too bad, he's a top tier character.

Nemesis Predaking
05-02-2010, 10:33 PM
When we all agreed? :P ;)

Exactly

Malwave
05-02-2010, 10:41 PM

lol since when is Downshift a top-tier character? xD

GMfan
05-02-2010, 11:03 PM

Can't ya let us get caught up first!? :P

He have getting to know character planned for the next 7 episodes...worry about them later...

This....frig....Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, and Soundwave would take FOREVER

So we'll never hear a Getting to Know: Nocturn???

Too bad, he's a top tier character.

Oh you....you can do your own getting to know Nocturn....you just wanna be a cybertron.ca meme don't you?

Exactly

I take it we have a new listener? :D

lol since when is Downshift a top-tier character? xD

He isn't!?!?

Let's try to talk about about the actual episodes though in these threads...if we want to post unrelated stuff or ideas we have our Canadian Slag Lounge (http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/group.php?groupid=5) in the social groups where we can do this.

Nocturn
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh you....you can do your own getting to know Nocturn....you just wanna be a cybertron.ca meme don't you?

I just wanna have fun.

http://images.contactmusic.com/videoimages/sbmg/cyndi-lauper-true-colors.jpg

GMfan
05-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Go play in the lounge with your friends! :P

EPISODE DISCUSSION! We can build on the many topics covered in this one.

Stapler
05-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes!!! The "terror bird" was what I had in mind but went with the Dromornithids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromornithidae).
The possibilities are insane!

Darn it! I'm inspired to make a custom terror bird transformer now! Hmm... The Cybertron Undermine mold has the right shape overall... And the feathers could come from BM Airraptor. Well, looks like have some figures to keep an eye out for! :D
This episode has proven to be very inspirational, thanks guys!

GMfan
05-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Darn it! I'm inspired to make a custom terror bird transformer now! Hmm... The Cybertron Undermine mold has the right shape overall... And the feathers could come from BM Airraptor. Well, looks like have some figures to keep an eye out for! :D
This episode has proven to be very inspirational, thanks guys!

Whoda thunk that something outside of the customs discussion inspired a custom? Good mold choice though as it could work....gonna require some modeling putty though, don't get pissed if it won't be perfect because your first time may not be...it's all a learning curve. ;)

Robimus
05-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Just for forgetful folk like myself, how do you look up what number you signed up for the site again?

I'm listening right now and will have much to offer on the repaint deal, but I'll let you guys finish talking first.:)

GMfan
05-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Just look at the URL for your user profile, yours is http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/member.php?u=219

looking at the "php?u=219" part, u= your registered number, so you were the 219th person to join cybertron.ca :P

Robimus
05-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Ah yes.:)

Robimus
05-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Favorite recent custom:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/chansformers/classicstriggerbotoverride006.jpg

GMfan
05-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Favorite recent custom:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj172/chansformers/classicstriggerbotoverride006.jpg

Oh my yes...that was golden...easy to do too if you're a beginner. Also Ransack discussion appropriate ;)

Robimus
05-03-2010, 03:32 AM
My thoughts on repaints:

I really like them and frankly don't think that Hasbro does enough of them. If they add a new head the sky is the limit on some molds.

Just looking at the Classics/Universe line there is still a lot of possibilities.

Throttlebots = Classics Bumblebee. Thius has huge potential for Chase, Freeway, whoever.

Sunstorm = Classics Starscream

Aerialbots = Same as above on a couple.

Chromedome = Classics Hotrod

Swindle = Hound

Lots more...........I want more of that Bumblebee mold damn it!;)

Speaking of Longhorn/Bonecrusher, we got something on the go with him as inspiration out in MB. Stay tuned.:)

Cutomizing:

OK, I here by ask that a term be created for general alterations by Customizers. Chris is always having rage issues over:p whats a "repaint" and whats a "headswap" and whats a "kitbash" and whats a "custom".

We need one term, that everyone can latch onto without fear of verbal reprisal.:cool:

Anyway, there needs to be a customizing episode(if thats the PC term:rolleyes:) with Dak. Touching on it when the almighty one is not present makes for difficult discussion.:)

Good Episode guys, keep the work up!

P.S. Classics Grimlock RULZZZZZZ! :D

Nemesis Predaking
05-03-2010, 06:31 AM
I take it we have a new listener? :D

I have always listened, but as my wife says. Not as often as I should :p
But I'll do my best to check it out more.

soundwaveCA
05-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Thanks for reminding me, if I had to choose one repaint that does kinda annoy me it's Sunstorm. Never understood why people liked him so much and always thought he made a very ugly-ass repaint. I understand the idea behind it but he just looks silly in the orange, especially that G1 repaint. I'm just thankful they mixed it up with Classics and went with Acid Storm instead, not a fan of it personally but at least you can see it as a jungle camo deco or something.

GMfan
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
My thoughts on repaints:

I really like them and frankly don't think that Hasbro does enough of them. If they add a new head the sky is the limit on some molds.

Just looking at the Classics/Universe line there is still a lot of possibilities.

Throttlebots = Classics Bumblebee. Thius has huge potential for Chase, Freeway, whoever.

Aerialbots = Same as above on a couple.

Chromedome = Classics Hotrod

Swindle = Hound

AAAAAND more :P I've lost count all the ideas I've had with a simple head or weapon swap and new paint job

Speaking of Longhorn/Bonecrusher, we got something on the go with him as inspiration out in MB. Stay tuned.:)

...oh dear

Cutomizing:

OK, I here by ask that a term be created for general alterations by Customizers. Chris is always having rage issues over:p whats a "repaint" and whats a "headswap" and whats a "kitbash" and whats a "custom".

I don't rage, it's just profounding that the terminology gets lost or overly misused.

I'll let the real pros correct me if I'm wrong with the following

Ex 1) Just adding paint but not modifying the mold is a repaint.
Ex 2) Modifying the mold (even slightly) and painting it is a custom (albeit a minor one)...adding joints, and head/hand swaps fall into this category and as they too are minor modifications, usually achieved with a pop on or off of a ball joint/peg.
Ex 3) Heavy modification and painting is a kitbash, complete with completely sculpted parts, multiple parts from multiple figures used to make a new one, things are also taken from non TF products and turned into one.

So as some examples...my Metalhawk for the most part would fall under #2, simple modifications to the mold really just made him, some more "advanced" techniques like using putty where used in there but overall he wasn't that difficult to make. His weapons on the other hand...that sword was like 10 different pieces and precise cutting....took about 6 hours to make.

Now looking at dak's Nova Prime...oy that things got parts from like 20 Transformers, the cab is from a toy truck, the wheels are from another toy truck...many scratch parts and puttying. Definitely falls under #3. Now I wouldn't say I'm at this stage in what I can do....I'm working on something along this level but we'll see how good it is once I'm done. :P

Anyway, there needs to be a customizing episode(if thats the PC term:rolleyes:) with Dak. Touching on it when the almighty one is not present makes for difficult discussion.:)

Duncan's been super busy lately but once he's more available I want him on another episode. Problem is customizing is such a visual thing, it's hard to cover properly in a podcast.

Thanks for reminding me, if I had to choose one repaint that does kinda annoy me it's Sunstorm. Never understood why people liked him so much and always thought he made a very ugly-ass repaint. I understand the idea behind it but he just looks silly in the orange, especially that G1 repaint. I'm just thankful they mixed it up with Classics and went with Acid Storm instead, not a fan of it personally but at least you can see it as a jungle camo deco or something.

Ya...not a fan of Sunstorm either....you can thank Dreamwave for exploding his popularity. But I like Acid storm, the colours look great on him, I wouldn't mind if they made a blue and yellow one with the camo to complete the Rain makers...but I doubt it'll happen.

Another repaint product of the DW era that just popped up time and time after it's reminder...white Optimus repaint, AKA Magnus....mmmmmrrrrmmm. Thanks DW for reminding us under the armor he's a white Optimus and opening the doors to white Prime repaint after white Prime repaint....

Though since the point of this episode was to look at the bright side of repaints, without the classics Magnus we would not have City commander.....so there's a little ray of sunshine at the end of the tunnel ;)

soundwaveCA
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Another repaint product of the DW era that just popped up time and time after it's reminder...white Optimus repaint, AKA Magnus....mmmmmrrrrmmm. Thanks DW for reminding us under the armor he's a white Optimus and opening the doors to white Prime repaint after white Prime repaint....

Though since the point of this episode was to look at the bright side of repaints, without the classics Magnus we would not have City commander.....so there's a little ray of sunshine at the end of the tunnel ;)

The occasional "white" repaint calling him UM or Magnus or whatever is fine but yes I do wish they would make more "proper" UM toys that are completely new molds or have the armor etc... I think that's what made him a special character to begin with giving him the armor so just cranking out a white repaint of Prime is kinda a cop-out.

GMfan
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
The occasional "white" repaint calling him UM or Magnus or whatever is fine but yes I do wish they would make more "proper" UM toys that are completely new molds or have the armor etc... I think that's what made him a special character to begin with giving him the armor so just cranking out a white repaint of Prime is kinda a cop-out.

Exactly....it's how I've felt for years!
"You want a MP Ultra Magnus!?!?"

"YA!!!!"

"here ya go"
"where's his clothes?"

.....course did I bitch every time one was posted? No. Did I get them? No....but I do have plans to go back and get them eventually. I woulda liked a proper Revoltech Ultra Magnus....the armor was what set him apart from the other Autobots, nobody else in G1 had that goin for them

soundwaveCA
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Ugggg those Revoltech TF's are awful lol

There's a good "What they Hell were they thinking" topic.

Nocturn
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Just look at the URL for your user profile

1299. :)

For curiosity I checked... I was preceded and succeeded by spambots. :(

Ugggg those Revoltech TF's are awful lol

There's a good "What they Hell were they thinking" topic.

Convoy's a bit wonky, but I very much like the other three. By no means the stars of the Revoltech line though.

Malwave
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm over 8000! D<

...8203 to be exact :D

Supernova
05-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I swear, any fan who hates repaints, hates Bluestreak, Red Alert, Thundercracker, Hoist, a solid third of Ultra Magnus, and maybe even democracy itself! :p

Ok, seriously though, I know I'm echoing everyone's opinion, but repaints are the foundation on which the brand has been built, and cutting out repaints altogether would rob the fans of many of the characters we hold so dear. And, of course, there are the inspired repaints that come out of nowhere and just really surprise us ('07 movie Fracture comes to mind).

Slap a nice coat of paint on an existing figure, and I'm sold!

I never used to pay attention to the Customs section of the boards, but, with all the clever things that people are doing on there (some of my personal favorites from the past little while are NP's Blitzwing, and Malwave's Guts Man), it makes me wish I had the skills to create like those folks do (I do plan on blue painting an Acid Storm someday though). 'Til then, I just like to admire the work all these people do! (I'm really interested in seeing how the Sick Kids project turns out)

Anyways, another great episode, guys! :)

EDIT #1 - Oh, and about the lack of prehistoric TF designs, does anyone think that combiner that FansProject is working on may cover some of those?

Mighty_Galvatron
05-04-2010, 02:32 AM
I managed to play through 6 cups in MarioKart Wii while listening...placing first in every race I might add...

Repaints are great, but they tend to get carried away in terms of numbers sometimes.

Did we get a link for that shark video? Too lazy to find it again in the podcast.

I now want the 2-pack Buster Prime. Seriously want. Thanks a lot...

I don't have iTunes.

TFA owns.:)

Robimus
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM

I'd just like to see all the different seeker colors from G1, thats all. If he was put out do you think he would sell or not?

I don't rage

Well I meant rage in a silly way, thus the tongue:p. But I'd certainly say its a pet peeve you display from time to time ;)

I mean you do point out that the Kup in question "Isn't really a custom, more of just a head swap"..........but doesn't that by your own definition last page make it a custom?

Or maybe I got the quote wrong, I didn't write it down when I was listening but thats the meaning I took.

Mumps
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm over 8000! D<

...8203 to be exact :D
Number 64 bitches!

I've gone this long without a sig or avatar.... I even beat GMFan by a good number haha! Maybe I should get one. I'll do that when I get home tonight, in 10hours... lol.

There are a lot of great customs that have been out recently, but I am mainly looking forward to the Sick Kids combiner. Everything about that project is pure concentrated awesome!

As for repaints, I don't mind em. I tend to buy only ones that are core characters (ex, Seekers) or ones that just look great. I will be buying the Red Rampage when it comes out, cause Yellow Rampage only made his debut as a foot, not a bot.

soundwaveCA
05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Convoy's a bit wonky, but I very much like the other three. By no means the stars of the Revoltech line though.

I'm not a fan of the Revoltech line as a whole, all I will say for those who dont have any experience with them is that you will either love em or hate em and we'll leave it at that.

GMfan
05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Slap a nice coat of paint on an existing figure, and I'm sold!

I think that summed up the whole dicussion :P

EDIT #1 - Oh, and about the lack of prehistoric TF designs, does anyone think that combiner that FansProject is working on may cover some of those?

It's possible...looking at the old pics of it you seem to have a mammoth, sabertooth tiger, and possibly a rhino...the other 2 I can't tell.

Did we get a link for that shark video? Too lazy to find it again in the podcast.

Shaaaark! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRSlnJ1rA4)

Well I meant rage in a silly way, thus the tongue:p. But I'd certainly say its a pet peeve you display from time to time ;)

I'm just easily annoyed :P

I mean you do point out that the Kup in question "Isn't really a custom, more of just a head swap"..........but doesn't that by your own definition last page make it a custom?

Well that was due to editing on my part from a longer rant which more or less said that it's not a complicated custom so I dunno how one can call themselves a pro when that's all they do 90% of the time....any modification is technically a custom...it's just that, there's more less and more complex customs that can be done. Head swapping and fit swapping aren't really that complicated...

There are a lot of great customs that have been out recently, but I am mainly looking forward to the Sick Kids combiner. Everything about that project is pure concentrated awesome!

Yes, I don't think we can stress enough on this show how awesome this project is looking and how great the idea is as a whole....and a reminder to them that TFcon is now only 2.5 months away to get your customs done :D

Mighty_Galvatron
05-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Thanks a lot! Its pretty weird-looking but I was expecting much worse based on what you people were saying on the cast. I think it's pretty cool actually. Quite the long snout too!

Forgot to mention that my love of Classics Astrotrain has grown a lot since his release. Obviously the Takara one looks better but I also think the white version has its merits. I mean, the idea of a white train and shuttle makes way more sense if he's supposed to be a robot in disguise. And the white version looks cool when chillin' with the JRX trains.

GMfan
05-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Forgot to mention that my love of Classics Astrotrain has grown a lot since his release. Obviously the Takara one looks better but I also think the white version has its merits. I mean, the idea of a white train and shuttle makes way more sense if he's supposed to be a robot in disguise. And the white version looks cool when chillin' with the JRX trains.

Hmmm I didn't mind the orginal Astrotrain....it's G1 toy accurate :P But I couldn't help but fell that he felt under painted...

Now I know he's mostly white but I think the Japanese version broke up the colours a little better...call meh crazy but my issues with the original are more out there...his bad legs (= bad poseability) and purple gun turned me off the most :rolleyes:

Mighty_Galvatron
05-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Hmmm I didn't mind the orginal Astrotrain....it's G1 toy accurate :P But I couldn't help but fell that he felt under painted...

Now I know he's mostly white but I think the Japanese version broke up the colours a little better...call meh crazy but my issues with the original are more out there...his bad legs (= bad poseability) and purple gun turned me off the most :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with the legs - especially since he's a really nice triplechanger. I guess the feet themselves could have benefited from additional articulation. If it's the mold we're talking here, the thing that causes me the most emotional strain with Astro is the junk he has on his forearms in bot mode, the junk from the front of the train I mean. Yikes. I've considered taking those off but I don't know how to do it without causing damage.

TMIIWonkoNemises
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I finally finished this Podcast Episode,after so many days of neglect,really shows how much I love you guys :p

First off,I'm going say this:Third year?It's been this young?What kind of Forum did I join into?Old clip segments?What kind of Podcast am I listening to?Chris the sexiest Mod?Ryan as GMfan 2.0?What kind of Fandom did I really get into?

Anyways...

I've never complained about repaints at all in my life.If people don't like it,don't buy it,they shouldn't complain about it.This is Hasbro's doing and there were some benefits due to the repaint tactic,Beast Wars Metals Ravage comes to mind.I also agree with Daniel's statements in terms of Tigatron and Blackarachnia.I would like to share my opinions with Best/Worst repaints/decos,but,I first need to have a good variety in my collection to do so.

So,what you’re saying is that if I truly love Dinobot,why don’t I own the Henkei version?Um...oh man,I feel a guilt trip coming on,thanks Daniel :P

So,what will you make me if I tell you that my first toys were a Telemocha Dinobot and a Transmetal Rattap?

And now the call-in segment...I can only express so much laughter from this.Oh Malwave,you sound so nervous with the segment,but,at least all of it went through.I keep hearing a lot of ego-stroking throughout the segment though,then again,every Canadian Slag Episode needs a bit of ego-stroking.It’s a requirement!

TransTech Ultra Magnus eh?I’m guessing this is the one you’re referring to:

http://hansime.deviantart.com/art/LittleIron-s-Ultra-Magnus-4227008

This I would love to see be made as a toy,then again,I always wanted a TransTech line.

I really wished for a more accurate Beast Wars series in terms of Alt-Mode.Who knows,maybe down the line,when it reaches it’s 20th or 25th anniversary,we might get something...but,that’s wishful thinking.

Ryan,why must you leave off with saying Animated sucks?You sad cranky bastard -_-.

Holy--now I'm going to have nightmares

Robimus
05-05-2010, 12:12 AM
So a repaint is a Repaint.

Something with an alteration no matter the size of the alteration is a Custom.

And a Kitbash is basically something from scratch using tons of different pieces from all over the map.

I think I got it.

Malwave
05-05-2010, 05:13 PM
And now the call-in segment...I can only express so much laughter from this.Oh Malwave,you sound so nervous with the segment,but,at least all of it went through.I keep hearing a lot of ego-stroking throughout the segment though,then again,every Canadian Slag Episode needs a bit of ego-stroking.It’s a requirement!

XD I couldn't help it damnit; I was in the presence of the awesome hosts of Canadian Slag, the greatest Transformers related podcast in the history of awesome podcasts! :D. (btw that check in in the mail right? :p)

and see, didn't I tell you that you'd laugh when I came on? X3

Nocturn
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Ego-stroking is best stroking, don't let GMfan fool you.

Mighty_Galvatron
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
...I'm more interested in the heavy petting.

Nocturn
05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/78/NOFX_-_HeavyPettingZoo.jpg

Mighty_Galvatron
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
lol - there we are...that's the good stuff.

TMIIWonkoNemises
05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
XD I couldn't help it damnit; I was in the presence of the awesome hosts of Canadian Slag, the greatest Transformers related podcast in the history of awesome podcasts! :D. (btw that check in in the mail right? :p)

I keep telling you,they're not that awesome and you shouldn't be so nervous/intimidated by them.I was nervous because everyone in the Boards were going to hear me.

And yes,you said that,it was a Hell of a good laugh.

Aha!My new Sig.Thanks.

Malwave
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I keep telling you,they're not that awesome and you shouldn't be so nervous/intimidated by them.I was nervous because everyone in the Boards were going to hear me.

lol I was being sarcastic Nem :p

TMIIWonkoNemises
05-06-2010, 03:46 PM
lol I was being sarcastic Nem :p

Oh well sorry Malwave.

Cheers Ian
05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I think you guys should add 2 new segments.

1) Danielpedia - Just let Daniel talk about any obscure Transformers topic till he runs out of gas.

2) What Ryan Hates - Just let Ryan spout off on everything he thinks sucks and why he thinks it sucks...especially animated.

And on the subject of repaints. People should just accept that we're ALWAYS going to get repaints, no matter what. Sometimes they'll suck and sometimes they'll be awesome. Some molds will get repainted more than others (ex: Leobreaker). Suck it up Princess, welcome to the world of Transformers collecting.

How about a getting to know Hubcap? That could be a quick one. Perceptor could be pretty quick too.

Cheers!
-Ian

soundwaveCA
05-06-2010, 04:55 PM

1) Danielpedia - Just let Daniel talk about any obscure Transformers topic till he runs out of gas.

2) What Ryan Hates - Just let Ryan spout off on everything he thinks sucks and why he thinks it sucks...especially animated.

I dont think Chris wants to edit a week-long show lol

GMfan
05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
First off,I'm going say this:Third year?It's been this young?What kind of Forum did I join into?Old clip segments?What kind of Podcast am I listening to?Chris the sexiest Mod?Ryan as GMfan 2.0?What kind of Fandom did I really get into?

I warned you

There's ego stroking in this show?

TransTech Ultra Magnus eh?I’m guessing this is the one you’re referring to:

http://hansime.deviantart.com/art/LittleIron-s-Ultra-Magnus-4227008

That's the one...here's the vehicle mode (http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l262/skywarp2/Transformers%20images/Transformers%20Transmetals/LittleIron__s_Ultra_Magnus_2.jpg?t=1273181465)

Duncan said it can mostly be done...there's some parts of the transformation that doesn't add up but there can always be creative liberties...

So a repaint is a Repaint.

Something with an alteration no matter the size of the alteration is a Custom.

And a Kitbash is basically something from scratch using tons of different pieces from all over the map.

I think I got it.

Pretty much...I know there's more specifics but lets not get into that...take'em case by case ;)

Riiiiight....compliments will get you no where.

and I know I laughed. XD

Don't stroke too hard, gotta make the experience worth while...

As for who I ego stroke....the deserving :P

How about a getting to know Hubcap? That could be a quick one. Perceptor could be pretty quick too.

Cheers!
-Ian

I thought Daniel and Ryan already did that :P

I've always said if I don't have an episode idea I'll just let Daniel ramble but I always have one apparently...

As for the getting to knows....done, they're so short we'll do a double shot.

I dont think Chris wants to edit a week-long show lol

This too ;)

:p *high five

And once again, thanks for filling a discussion thread with an absolutely useless post.

Malwave
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Riiiiight....compliments will get you no where.

yes they will. :D Just depends on the destination.

and I know I laughed. XD

awesome. ...wait laughing with me right? :p

Nocturn
05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Don't stroke too hard, gotta make the experience worth while...

"It doesn't matter how long the race takes as long as you make it to the finish line"

Mighty_Galvatron
05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
"It doesn't matter how long the race takes as long as you make it to the finish line"

To each their own.