PDA

View Full Version : My first TFCON

SHELDONBROWN12
04-19-2010, 09:12 AM
i will be attending my first tfcon this july, i will be driving all the way from Newfoundland :).... cant wait to get there and see what its all about

Ultra Maverick
04-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Oh wow, another big drive.
You won't be dissapointed, great events and most of all great people.
Just curious, how long will that drive take?

Tekkamanraiden
04-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow that's 2744 km with a total time of 1 day and 8 hours (according to google maps anyways).

Prowl_2009
04-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Now that is one devoted fan! :D

Nightscrabbler
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
I am coming from northwest Mississauga! If someone wants to split the driving.

Aernaroth
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Out of curiosity, how come so many people are driving long distances instead of flying? So they can bring more stuff back? With gas prices, food, accomodations along the way, I can't see that much money being saved, right? Or am I way off?

Malwave
04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Out of curiosity, how come so many people are driving long distances instead of flying? So they can bring more stuff back? With gas prices, food, accomodations along the way, I can't see that much money being saved, right? Or am I way off?

gives then a chance to sing to Summer of 69? :D

AutobotAddict
04-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Pardon the text wall.

Depending on where your coming from and how many people are going, it can be much cheaper to drive. For example, you have a lets say 35 hour driving trip. The gas and car costs the same no matter how many people are in it. If the gas costs, lets say $300 each way. It stays $300, regardless if you have 1 in the car or 4.

So if you have 4 people in the car, you each pay $75 towards the gas each way. So about $150 each for the round trip.

Flying on the other hand gets you there faster, but the cost is more. A plane ticket from Winnipeg to Toronto starts at $110 each way, plus fees and taxes. So you have $220 for the tickets plus around another $100 in fees and taxes. So you end up paying $320 per person, and that's only if you can get the cheapest seats...

Even adding a cheap room to the cost on the way while driving, and you don't just switch off drivers and sleep in the car while another person drives... it still costs less..

Air per person, starts at $320 each round trip, By car about $150 each round trip...
Even with only 2 in the car it only costs $300 round trip, and you can arrive and leave when you want. No having to leave the con early to catch a plane, or having to wait around for 12 hours because the plane either arrives way before the con at 1 am, or late in the night when you miss a lot of the first day... and you have a vehicle to pack full of tf stuff to save on shipping too.

Yes I did research this a lot, hence why I'm driving.

Ultra Maverick
04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
My Drive's 456km....all by my lonesome. :P

Super_Megatron
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Glad to see so many new attendees this year. This is going to be the biggest TFcon ever so you guys should have a good time.
Maybe you should post a thread asking for some company.

Malwave
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM

pick up a hitchhiker xD

Mumps
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
If I had a car, I would definately drive. I survived a drive from Calgary to Chicago to Indianapolis, and then back to Calgary, so I think I could do Calgary to Toronto.

Would be cheaper than the $255 there, and $255 back, plus tax, that the tickets are going for now... *hasn't booked flights yet*

skinsquad
04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Pardon the text wall.

Depending on where your coming from and how many people are going, it can be much cheaper to drive. For example, you have a lets say 35 hour driving trip. The gas and car costs the same no matter how many people are in it. If the gas costs, lets say $300 each way. It stays $300, regardless if you have 1 in the car or 4.

So if you have 4 people in the car, you each pay $75 towards the gas each way. So about $150 each for the round trip.

Flying on the other hand gets you there faster, but the cost is more. A plane ticket from Winnipeg to Toronto starts at $110 each way, plus fees and taxes. So you have $220 for the tickets plus around another $100 in fees and taxes. So you end up paying $320 per person, and that's only if you can get the cheapest seats...

Even adding a cheap room to the cost on the way while driving, and you don't just switch off drivers and sleep in the car while another person drives... it still costs less..

Air per person, starts at $320 each round trip, By car about $150 each round trip...
Even with only 2 in the car it only costs $300 round trip, and you can arrive and leave when you want. No having to leave the con early to catch a plane, or having to wait around for 12 hours because the plane either arrives way before the con at 1 am, or late in the night when you miss a lot of the first day... and you have a vehicle to pack full of tf stuff to save on shipping too.

Yes I did research this a lot, hence why I'm driving.

Not to mention if their are other sites you would like to see while you are there, you wouldn't have to shell out the money to rent a vehicle and insurance.

Aernaroth
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Not to mention if their are other sites you would like to see while you are there, you wouldn't have to shell out the money to rent a vehicle and insurance.

Another good point. I only asked because it seemed like a lot of drivers were (at least at this point) driving themselves only, which seems a bit pricy.

Dragon Knight
05-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I hate to bump this thread, but as I'm about to pre-reg to get my Nightbeat...

if I send out payment and the registration forum it doesn't matter when I do it, as long as I do it before the 30th..but would I still be okay for securing my Nightbeat if I send it out a little bit before the deadline?