PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Manitoba to TFcon, first year attending.

AutobotAddict
04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm attending for the first time this year and was planning on driving out to Toronto. What is the traffic like out there and how hard is it to get to the hotel?

I am also looking for someone with a drivers license from this area who would be interested in splitting the cost of gas and driving time for the trip. Possibly sharing a room as well, I do have a room booked already.

Is anyone interested? I can send a pm with my phone number if anyone wants to discuss it.

Nightscrabbler
04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
The traffic can get pretty bad here, but it really just depends on what day and time you're arriving. Friday? If you get into Toronto before ~2pm you won't find the traffic that bad. After that until 6ish rush hour is mayhem.

GMfan
04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
From Manitoba? Ouch....what's that about? 3 day drive?

Bruticus82
04-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Wow, props to you for having the drive (pun intended) to go all this way for TFCon. Hopefully you find everything you're hoping for there!

Traffic can be really bad on the highways, and the city streets, especially at rush hour times. Maybe try and time your arrival into Toronto sometime between 11 am and 2 pm. That would probably be best.

The hotel is pretty visible and not that hard to find. Use googlemaps (and streetview) the hotel sticks out quite visibly.

AutobotAddict
04-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Snicker... Yup I'm an insane woman with way too much time on her hands. :D

It's somewhere around the three day mark if you drive constantly, hence the reason I'm hoping to find someone willing come along and drive in shifts.... Besides... I can't leave my baby (er, that's my car btw...) home alone....

I was aiming to arrive on Thursday night so I have time to recover for Friday, and so that if I run into trouble on the road I won't miss anything....

GMfan
04-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Well if you're looking to not miss anything you may want to leave Wednesday as Friday night at 6 is when the party starts ;)

AutobotAddict
04-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Snicker... I was actually planning to leave on Tuesday.... Gives me time to check out the stores on the way to look for more toys... Heh... :o

Ultra Maverick
04-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Wow, that's a good hike, and I thought my 4.5 hour drive was bad.
I always aim to arrive on Friday afternoon personally.

See you there!

Nightscrabbler
04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh, if you're arriving Thursday night, you could also check out the weekly meeting of the Mississauga Scrabble Club www.mississaugascrabble.com

:)

Robimus
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
There are Manitobans who are going, so I've been told. Maybe join the Winnipeg Social Group and mention it there?

GMfan
04-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Go with Rob! Go with Rob! :D

Robimus
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Rob's not going :(

GMfan
04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Roof rack? Stow away? No?

Benzo
04-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I wish I could go :(

Pascal
04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
From Manitoba? Ouch....what's that about? 3 day drive?

I crossed Canada in 3 and a half day (Quebec-BC), so I doubt it. :p Probably a solid day of driving.

Malwave
04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

yeah, duct tape a bucket seat to the roof and ride it the whole way! :D

Dragon Knight
04-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Don't forget hitch hiking.

AutobotAddict
04-18-2010, 11:49 PM
I crossed Canada in 3 and a half day (Quebec-BC), so I doubt it. :p Probably a solid day of driving.

It is a three day drive when you stop in every store and comic shop on the way looking for Transformers toys.... XD

crimbot
04-19-2010, 12:39 AM
I've been toying with the idea of going. Ive never gone out before and I'd really love to. The thought of driving never even crossed my mind.

skinsquad
04-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Driving is about 24 hrs straight non stop. If I would have known, I may have gone with you but I already have a booked flight. I'll be there all weekend as well as some other Manitobans. Maybe we can all meet up for a drink or two.

AutobotAddict
04-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Driving is about 24 hrs straight non stop. If I would have known, I may have gone with you but I already have a booked flight. I'll be there all weekend as well as some other Manitobans. Maybe we can all meet up for a drink or two.

Yes, we really should. That would be a complete blast.

alternatorfan
04-19-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm attending for the first time this year and was planning on driving out to Toronto. What is the traffic like out there and how hard is it to get to the hotel?

I am also looking for someone with a drivers license from this area who would be interested in splitting the cost of gas and driving time for the trip. Possibly sharing a room as well, I do have a room booked already.

Is anyone interested? I can send a pm with my phone number if anyone wants to discuss it.
sounds like a blast where do i sign up. give me something to look forward to in the next couple of months. have you found anybody yet if you have can your car seat 3? me and skinsquad can party for 5 days straight. LOL shoot me a pm and maybe we could dicuss this arrangement.

jp:D