PDA

View Full Version : Release the Kraken!!!

pud333
04-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Anyone see Clash of the Titans this weekend? Just saw it a few minutes ago. It was a really fun movie. Definitely better than I thought it would be. Lots of action. Special effects were good for the most part - some of the landscape scenes were kind of flat looking. I really enjoyed the monsters. Even my girlfriend enjoyed it, considering I dragged her to it.

I don't know where this Sam Worthington dude came from, but it seemed he materialized out of thin air in the last year. He was in Terminator Salvation (which licked donkey balls), then he shows up in Avatar (which was better than licking donkey balls), and now he's in this. He's definitely a believable action star now I guess.

Malwave
04-05-2010, 08:15 AM
that came out this week? O_o

I should arrange to go see it :D

pud333
04-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Don't bother paying for 3D. The film wasn't originally intended for 3D and I heard it's not worth it. They're just trying to get a few more bucks off you.

It's just a brainless, fun movie with some cool creatures. Even the star said on Letterman to not expect much and that it was sort of silly. I enjoyed it on the same level I enjoyed TFTM: stupid, mindless action. However, I thought TF2 would be fun on the same scale, but it wasn't. So I dunno. haha.

jourdo
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I saw it over the weekend. It was enjoyable for what it was, but I don't know that it is necessary to waste your movie going dollars to see it in theatre. It was good, but not great.

chans formers
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
^thank you for your honesty good sir.i shall now wait for it to hit dvd:D

Alexander Quinn
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
It was pretty cool, IMO. The plot could have used a few more minutes of polishing to make it really good, but it still fares better than most films I've seen lately. Decent story, pretty nice CG. Plus, it was a great way to ignore Easter this past weekend, since everything else was freakin' closed. Stupid holiday...

As for Worthington, pud333, dude was a brick layer in Australia until a few years ago. He went to a casting call for an actors school to help his girlfriend audition - she got denied...he got accepted. Funny how things work out.

Black Cat
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Wait until it's released on DVD. Sure, it's fun to see it on the big screen, and the visuals definitely make it worth it... but otherwise, wait.

The storyline was lacking, the mythology was pretty much raped (and yes, I know every myth has multiple versions, but this was just BAD), and the ending left a lot to be desired. If you want to see a movie with good special effects and fighting scenes, then by all means, go. If you want a movie with depth... better luck somewhere else.

Although I do have to mention that the Medusa scenes were beautiful. :)

pud333
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, this definitely ain't Shakespeare.

The Medusa stuff was definitely pretty cool. Technically this movie is great. My biggest complaint is that it felt rushed. But then again, most people probably couldn't sit through two hours of this kind of movie without a decent story or character development.

Black Cat
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah, this definitely ain't Shakespeare.

The Medusa stuff was definitely pretty cool. Technically this movie is great. My biggest complaint is that it felt rushed. But then again, most people probably couldn't sit through two hours of this kind of movie without a decent story or character development.

That's the thing that really bugs me. If they had stuck to the actual myth, the story would have been great, and two hours would have felt like nothing. Such a great story was handled wrong and fell flat.

Team Jetfire
04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Ugh...it was terrible.

I found Lord of the Rings more believable.

Bruticus82
04-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Yeah...uhm...story/character development is almost non-existent. Special effects were great, although the lightning bothered me, it looked very fake when they were on the ship during the storm.

Medusa looked fantastic, and was the highlight of the movie I think.

As for the rest, well, it just all seemed so rushed like: Hey, now let's introduce two loveable mercenaries who barely get to speak at all. Okay, now let's send them on their way because we don't want them to die?

I know it's a remake of an 80s movie, but that doesn't mean you can't add a little plot and character to it.

It did seem short.

Shout out for the mechanical owl! :-p

Team Jetfire
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Shout out for the mechanical owl! :-p

Yeah, what was that about?

onecoin
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, what was that about?

The owl is, Bubo, kinda of like a guide in the original one. Bubo was really like a fantasy version of R2-D2 and felt really misplaced in the original, but also made it quirky. As much as Bubo was a take from Star Wars, R2 taking out those droids in ROTS, was a take from Bubo's "epic" fight scene. He kinda gave the "Jar Jar" effect and the homage was a take that response. It was funny, but was totally misplaced to anyone that hasn't watched the original.

There is way too much to criticize about this movie. And If you haven't seen it don't. The original was no masterpiece, but there was more of an emotional connect to the characters and their plight, its actually worth it just for the Medusa fight alone. If you want to watch some fantasy, skip both and go watch Jason and the Argonauts, nothing beats it.

Pascal
04-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Saw it the other night, I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I watched the original fight scene with Medusa on Youtube after, and wow, that was boring as hell. Something like 8 minutes of pure non-action.

Janitor
04-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Saw it the other night, I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I watched the original fight scene with Medusa on Youtube after, and wow, that was boring as hell. Something like 8 minutes of pure non-action.

well, in the original there was actual build up to the Medusa fight, which added suspense. new one: not so much, just a showcase for special effects

pud333
04-17-2010, 05:55 PM

Yeah, I recently downloaded the original and watched it and I had the same feeling. For most of the film actually. I saw it years ago as a kid, but watching it now just seems silly. Yeah, the new one has no character development or story, but whatever. It's easier to sit through and I all I wanted was fighting, which I got, so it was a win for me. :)

onecoin
04-17-2010, 06:25 PM

If you watch it by itself its pretty brutal. It makes more sense in the context of the film, where there's a build up to the fight and what happens in it.

There's also the context of timing. Considering the period, there's a lot to marvel at in how Medusa was animated. Harryhausen's work here really defined how Medusa depicted in pop culture today. And not just how she looked, but for the first to time how she moved, fought and behaved. Then take all that and do it at 24 frames a second in clay.

QuadESL63
04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
(1) The movie spent too much time showing the team walking in the wilderness. Darn! This is not the LoTR Trilogy!

(2) The Medusa fight is, again, too long with absolutely no (good) built up of tension before the final fight. And, why was that guy self-destruct? It did nothing to Medusa!

(3) Same for the fight with the scorpions...

(4) I expected a good fight between Perseus and Hades... but no, a lighting bolt was good enough to send him back to the Underworld...

(5) Why is Io and Perseus fallen in love with each other again?

(6) Why bother having Apollo, Poseidon, Athena, etc. on screen? They did nothing!

But I guess the special effects were ok esp. for the Kraken...