PDA

View Full Version : My hobby... Scrabble

Nightscrabbler
04-04-2010, 12:57 PM
If you've noticed my username, you might've guessed I like Scrabble.

What you might not have guessed is just how much Scrabble I play.

I direct the Mississauga Scrabble Club. We meet once a week in Mississauga near South Common Mall. But there are many official clubs all over the world. Check out the club roster (http://www.scrabbleplayers.org/w/Club_roster) and find a club near you.

There are also tournaments that happen every weekend in different cities. The Mississauga Club is having a tournament on June 12, 2010.

Anyone can learn how to play. Everyone is a beginner at some point, so you shouldn't be intimidated. Try it out.

So visit our website, www.mississaugascrabble.com for all the details and come by the club sometime. We'll give you some tips and tricks so that you're at least good enough to be the best Scrabble player in your family.

(I know.)

Pascal
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
My wife and I are Scrabble freaks. In french though. :)

jackalprime
04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
my gf and i love scrabble. its such a good game to play on a sunny day outside, or inside when it rains. go tripple word score!

Nocturn
04-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Played mucho scabble with Grandparents this weekend, probs not done yet.

Nightscrabbler
04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm glad that a few people replied to this thread :)

Aernaroth
04-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Have you tried scrabble slam?

Nightscrabbler
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I have tried it... it's good practice since I struggle to remember 4s.

Shepp
04-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Scrabble's adding proper nouns to its rulebooks apparently. That should make things interesting.

Mumps
04-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I like the game, but I have a terribly long losing streak, that being the only time I have ever come in 2nd place are games with only 2 people, haha

I play such a variety of games though that I do not often get to play Scrabble. But I do enjoy it when I do get to play it. It gets my brain working. Sort of...

Nightscrabbler
04-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Scrabble's adding proper nouns to its rulebooks apparently. That should make things interesting.

Well, Mattel is doing that, with one particular edition. Mattel owns the rights outside of North America. Hasbro might follow suit eventually.

But it's still unclear what that entails. Place names are somewhat reasonable, but first names? Last names? It could be really arbitrary.

Anyway, it doesn't impact club/tournament play.

Pascal
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
What's the highest score you guys have done for a single word? I think I've done something like 104 once, my wife has done better than that a few times, but I have a friend who once played a 212 against me, I thought it was amazing.

Nightscrabbler
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
What's the highest score you guys have done for a single word? I think I've done something like 104 once, my wife has done better than that a few times, but I have a friend who once played a 212 against me, I thought it was amazing.

I had a 311 online. I can't remember my face-to-face best, but last weekend at the Cambridge tournament I scored 134 for a triple-triple.

By the way, the Montreal club is pretty good, you should check it out. I might play in their tournament in May.

Pascal
04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Do you remember which word was 311? I remember my friend's was "PERFIDES" (triple-triple). How? I wrote a song about his feat. :p

http://www.musitards.com/MP3/2008/scrabble.mp3

Nightscrabbler
04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Haha cool. Yeah, it was WOOZIeST.

Aernaroth
04-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Ive also seen some "specialized" licensed scrabble sets, like star trek scrabble, that come with an ancilliary dictionary full of words pertaining to that license.

TF scrabble, perhaps?

Nightscrabbler
04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I've thought about TF Scrabble and it seems like it could be cool. Most of the other licensed Scrabbles (Trek, NHL, Simpsons) have been pretty lazy efforts on the part of Hasbro. I actually considered a neat little Cybertronian Scrabble Challenge for TFcon, but I don't know if there'd be any interest.

jackalprime
04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
my word was quigybo

Nightscrabbler
07-05-2012, 11:42 AM
There's now a new Scrabble club in Brampton!

www.bramptonscrabble.com

www.mississaugascrabble.com

www.torontoscrabbleclub.com