PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Botcon/Misc. Exclusives Nowadays?

Dark Rage
06-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Ok, don't flame me for this, and I know I'm a new collector, but is it just me or does my jaw drop everytime something that could easily be a general release to please us all al of a sudden become a botcon exclusive, and instead pleases the dealers, scalpers, and flippers?

Specifically, I'm referring to alternators Rodimus and the remaining Classics Seekers are all exclusives now. Is it me or is Hasbro not doing the obvious or what's profitable and efficient?

Of course I'm not saying that everything should be a general release, since TFs is well known for their awesome exclusive toys, but it's starting to seem a bit excessive now.

Sorry, I just need to vent, since products like general release alternators (like mirage) are being flipped constantly, which seems ridiculous to me. I hope Hasbro (or their distributors) aren't pulling Nintendo's rumour of purposefully short-supplying Wii's in order to somewhat stimulate demand.

Shepp
06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
as more or less the final alternator to be released, i think that hasbro knew there wouldnt be much demand from major retailers to have it on their shelves. i mean, how many retailers had the final few BW10th figures?

i mean, the alts are incredible figures and all, but that doesnt mean much if they arent moving off of the shelves, or if the line is ending. i blame their cost for the most part., and the large gaps in distrubution. we'd see plenty, and then none, then plenty again. and now its none.

GMfan
06-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Those bastards....I have to make my own Thundercracker and conehead trio now. Not to mention I was really hoping to get Alternators Rodimus (cough Hot Rod) off there website but lo and behold they don't ship to Kanata (must a confusing to find us).

QuadESL63
06-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I think Hasbro just want to be a bit more cautious, esp. since the Alt's and Classics do not have a show/movie to back them up. Yes, the collectors like those but we are just the minorities. Yes, it sucks I won't be able to pick up the rest of the Classic Seekers (I don't care about the other repaints to be honest) but that's life I guess :(

agesthreeandup
06-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I have to admit, the exclusives of the late 90's and early 2000's were so much better. Not sure if I like the BW molds more or the fact that they put a whole lot more backstory into the figures but some of my favorites are still Shockaract, Onyx Primal, Arcee (as the spider) and Sandstorm.

Spencer.

JLvatron
06-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I have problemer with store exclusives than convention exclusive. The convention 1's are fun while ths store 1's usually more massable, so a pain cause more than just collectors want them. (like wasn't Energon Galvatron a store exclusive?)

Those bastards....I have to make my own Thundercracker and conehead trio now.

I was surprise Dirge wasn't a remold, but they pulled it off with the paint job. How are you gonna make Thrust?

Dark Rage
06-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Clearly, I know that Hasbro has gotta reduce their losses, or make sure toys are sellable, so how the hell do they figure out that they can sell small PVC or figures like Legends of Cybertron toys? I know for a fact that I'll never buy those; it's just a lousy figure with a bad paint job; so why sell it at all?

I was hoping they'd sell the remaining Seekers as a Vs. pack (Like Ultra Magnus vs. Skywarp) or as a 3 pack of the remaining seekers, I'm sure people will definitely buy it, especially at a bundled price.

If Hasbro really wants good sales, they need a good show. Beast Wars was definitely one of their best sellers, it's too bad it had such a small cast. Now imagine if they had scripts and storylines as good as Beast Wars but with G1 or bigger toys essentially, they could definitely have TFs sold fast.

GMfan
06-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I was surprise Dirge wasn't a remold, but they pulled it off with the paint job. How are you gonna make Thrust?

I was thinking of just doing a straight repaint if I was lazy or if I could get my hands on another classic starscream I would remove the wings and remold them though looking at the connection difference between starscream and ramjet this may prove to be more difficult then I originally thought. See SS has a steel pin holding in the wings where as Ramjet seems to have his little wing section simply pegged in...I may need to turn on the Dak signal for this one.

agesthreeandup
06-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Clearly, I know that Hasbro has gotta reduce their losses, or make sure toys are sellable, so how the hell do they figure out that they can sell small PVC or figures like Legends of Cybertron toys? I know for a fact that I'll never buy those; it's just a lousy figure with a bad paint job; so why sell it at all?

For a little more insight into these, you have to think more like a parent. These are not ment for collectors but for parents with the whiny kids. They go into the store, want something, whine to mom or dad, they get frustrated and are not going to spend $15 on a toy so they grab the $5 toy to placate the child. Works all the time.

Spencer

Robimus
06-04-2007, 01:50 AM
YES! for a short answer. I mean something like the classic Soundwave(TRU) or the Skywarp/Magnus(Target) were at least somewhat available. At least PUT THINGS IN A STORE! These Bot CON Jobs(no pun intended)are just silly. Classics Starscream was the best seller of the line and Ramjet is not an easy find at Walmart/Zellers or TRU. Give us a chance.

GMfan
06-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Tell me bout it, I still haven't found 2 to repaint...

jourdo
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
It sucks that these figures are exclusive. Especially the seekers, which seemed like no-brainers for mass release.

For whatever reason, Hasbro didn't feel there was profit to be had... therefore we don't get these figures for mass release. I agree with what Spencer said. We need to take ourselves away from the hobby for a moment and look at these toys as parents/typical consumers.

It sucks... but c'est la vie.