PDA

View Full Version : Master Collectors Offering Limited Production Nova Prime Figure

Super_Megatron
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Master Collectors Offering Limited Production Nova Prime Figure (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/other-news-20/master-collectors-offering-limited-production-nova-prime-figure-169153/)

Category: Other News

Posted From: TFW2005.COM (http://www.tfw2005.com) - Transformers (http://www.tfw2005.com)

JLvatron
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Wow $500 is alot of monayyy!

JaySmith
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL @ $500.... it's nice, but not $500 nice.

UltraPrimal
02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that's the only thing preventing me from buying one. Even if it was half that, it still wouldn't be an instant buy for me.

Sureshot22
02-12-2010, 01:15 PM
would kill to have one of those if it was done in plastic.. resin im not so sure about.

but $500 =$40 USD..... lol they must be kidding. for resin.?.
if i won the lottery (maybe)

Hey Dax. sell yours to has/tak and get it made for us so we can get one at a reasonable price please :)

pulsedragon20
02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Looks wonderful but isn't $500 a little to steep

...maybe they should shell the molds to Hasbro and make royalties or something (a lot more profitable)

chans formers
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
as much as i love this bot, i'd rather spend the 5 bills on another g1 fortmax.

dak
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Interesting price point. I paid less than half that for mine... and mine's Leader Class! lol. but it will be interesting how many will actually sell.

JLvatron
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
as much as i love this bot, i'd rather spend the 5 bills on another g1 fortmax.

*does the math for how much a 'bill' is*

:eek:

Hey buddy, don't-chew owe me a bill? :D

Richter
02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Jeeze he's an awesome figure, but $500 is way too much, especially if he's super delicate resin.
I'd spend $200, if he was made of plastic and fit together perfectly.

I understand we're buying a piece of art here, but last time I bought a commissioned painting, it was $500 for something that took up half my wall!

Protoman
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Oy.......... I know if I payed Dak $500 bucks, he would make me one.

Dark Rage
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Although it's the ethically wrong thing to do, one would be to buy one, re-cast it, and sell at a lower price so others could get it.

Oreobot
02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Although it's the ethically wrong thing to do, one would be to buy one, re-cast it, and sell at a lower price so others could get it.

Someone would be a fool not to either mass produce one of the ten themselves or sell that one to someone who can mass produce more. That person would make a lot more money than just flipping one figure to someone else on eBay. And by mass producing they'd get the same figure for less in the end.

As awesome as the figure is, it really sucks to see the original brilliant kitbash ripped off. I'd like to see Dak buy one of the ten, mass produce it and make way more money than $5k off his design.

venksta
02-12-2010, 09:15 PM
To those planning to buy one and then recast him.. good luck with recasting all 200 parts of him, haha. No wonder this thing is expensive.

$500 is alot, but for a 10 piece run, that sounds reasonable to me. I've been looking into casting and materials for my own project. And from what I have seen, the time needed, plus the funding, is not easy. When you have a fan made kit, like the FansProject Cliffjumper upgrade go for $300 or more easily in the after market, it makes the price for Nova Commander sound a lot better. And for anything, I'd say Master Collectibles should of charged more. The 10 people buying this will make a killing in the after market.

chroma23
02-12-2010, 09:49 PM
$500 is alot, but for a 10 piece run, that sounds reasonable to me.

thats only if it is indeed really only 10 available and they really do not mass produce it some time in the future...remember fansproject's TFcon powered commander so-called "exclusive"? the DIA one released shortly after pretty much killed the TFcon's value in the aftermarket

on the similar note, maybe someone will make KOs off the nova prime just like the fansproject commander trailers
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

venksta
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
thats only if it is indeed really only 10 available and they really do not mass produce it some time in the future...remember fansproject's TFcon powered commander so-called "exclusive"? the DIA one released shortly after pretty much killed the TFcon's value in the aftermarket

on the similar note, maybe someone will make KOs off the nova prime just like the fansproject commander trailers

The whole mass production thing really depends though. From what I've read on Master Collector's blog, its too expensive for them to mass produce, as they don't seem to have the funds to start it up. But that won't stop some other group to buy the entire rights to the designs/specs and mass produce it themselves. That is, if MC will sell the rights. So yeah, those buying this limited 10 run, is taking a gamble.

chroma23
02-12-2010, 10:20 PM
reading the replies on the tw2005 thread, some people are speculating that it's being sold at this steep pricepoint so there is funding for a possible mass release

of course that is just speculation, but also very possible if you read back fansproject's "response" to the outrage on the DIA commander. it all boils down to money

not to say i have anything against fansproject or mastercollector, their designs are great and ingenius but this 500 buck price point will for sure cast doubts and questions for most people as in "what were they thinking"
________
STARCRAFT II REPLAYS (http://screplays.com/replays)

venksta
02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
reading the replies on the tw2005 thread, some people are speculating that it's being sold at this steep pricepoint so there is funding for a possible mass release

of course that is just speculation, but also very possible if you read back fansproject's "response" to the outrage on the DIA commander. it all boils down to money

not to say i have anything against fansproject or mastercollector, their designs are great and ingenius but this 500 buck price point will for sure cast doubts and questions for most people as in "what were they thinking"

I could get into the FansProject/TFCon thing, but won't, based on info that wasn't made public...

But the 10 Nova Commanders to fund a mass production... Out of the $500 their charging, I'd say maybe their making a $100 - $200 profit? Based on the mold cost, and the almost 200 parts that need to be made for each set. So we could say, their maybe making $1000-$2000 profit? Maybe $5000 total? It costs usually over $24,000 or more to start a mass production (based off a 3rd party kit I know of). If they were to mass produce these, there is also the cost of how much 1 set will cost when sold at retail. So far, my guesses on retail price for the other 3rd party stuff has been close, in the other threads here. So I'm going to guess a mass produced Nova Commander would cost $120-$150 US. That is a lot of money for most fans. If they don't sell them all, that is a wasted investment for Master Collectors. When alot of fans think an Ultra Class figure like Knight Morpher Commander is too much at $112 canadian for most fans. So if they did nova commander, he'd would not sell well because of his price.

Also, from what I've seen on TFW's thread about this. If you took everyone that is saying how they want a mass produced Nova Commander, than showed them the retail price, I bet 20% might still be interested.

The only way I see a Nova Prime figure being released, is either by Hasbro, or if someone is super rich, and will take the risk.

chroma23
02-12-2010, 10:48 PM
honestly? if a mass produced version of nova commander sells for 120-150 bucks i think most people will accept it. i personally would pre-order it right away

this is a personal take but my main issue with the knight morpher commander is that it feels blocky to me and with pegged fists on for a 100-dollar ultra size figure is a bit lacking. that money is better spent on a masterpiece figure (i know its an unfair comparison but i think it closely resemble to what many people expect out of a 100-dollar figure)

but given the articulate detail on the nova commander i am sure people will be able to accept the price in the 100's. just look at how people went crazy over the fansproject's bruticus set. both sets cost 100 total but the design is very impressive and even more impressive than their previous superion and ultra magnus kits. just as a comparison, the ultra magnus trailer, which sells for 100 bucks as well, is well sought after especially before they re-release it with the shoulder missles, and it's only a trailer and you need to find clasics ultra magnus on ebay to complete it. therefore, a nove prime, a complete figure with all that detail and stuff at 120-150 is extremely acceptable, but not 500 unfortunately

anyhow that's my opinion on the knight morpher commander, and the reason why i am skipping it. price is one thing, but "is it worth that price" is another much bigger and deciding issue. make no mistake, that nova prime is one impressive figure (despite the fact that it's highly referenced off dak's custom), but is it worth the 500 bucks?
________
Suzuki Gs500E (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GS500E)

venksta
02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
honestly? if a mass produced version of nova commander sells for 120-150 bucks i think most people will accept it. i personally would pre-order it right away

this is a personal take but my main issue with the knight morpher commander is that it feels blocky to me and with pegged fists on for a 100-dollar ultra size figure is a bit lacking. that money is better spent on a masterpiece figure (i know its an unfair comparison but i think it closely resemble to what many people expect out of a 100-dollar figure)

but given the articulate detail on the nova commander i am sure people will be able to accept the price in the 100's. just look at how people went crazy over the fansproject's bruticus set. both sets cost 100 total but the design is very impressive and even more impressive than their previous superion and ultra magnus kits. just as a comparison, the ultra magnus trailer, which sells for 100 bucks as well, is well sought after especially before they re-release it with the shoulder missles, and it's only a trailer and you need to find clasics ultra magnus on ebay to complete it. therefore, a nove prime, a complete figure with all that detail and stuff at 120-150 is extremely acceptable, but not 500 unfortunately

anyhow that's my opinion on the knight morpher commander, and the reason why i am skipping it. price is one thing, but "is it worth that price" is another much bigger and deciding issue. make no mistake, that nova prime is one impressive figure (despite the fact that it's highly referenced off dak's custom), but is it worth the 500 bucks?

Some good points! :) For myself, I don't know if I'd spend 500 on that 10 run Nova Prime. I guess for me, with $500, I could find other figures I'd rather have first. :D

Cheers Ian
02-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't think I'd buy it even if were under $100.

But that's just me.

I don't think they'll have trouble moving 10 pieces at $500. The fans that have the cash and would be willing to spend that are out there.

Cheers!
-Ian

venksta
02-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't think I'd buy it even if were under $100.

But that's just me.

I don't think they'll have trouble moving 10 pieces at $500. The fans that have the cash and would be willing to spend that are out there.

Cheers!
-Ian

They already sold all 10 preorders hours ago! Thats a lot of rich TF fans.

chroma23
02-12-2010, 11:58 PM
personally i primarily buy tfs and other robot toys for their engineering, so if a figure has good engineering and design, and the price is reasonable i would pay for it (but not 500 though)

my collection mostly involves car robots, binaltech, alts, masterpieces, henkei....and CMS+bandai chogokin figures outside of TF

but no, havent brought myself to buy the studio halfeye stuff which are also jsut as insanely priced as this nova prime but god look at the engineering on those getta robos :P

ADD:
i know i have done enough preaching on why i am skipping on knight morpher but just read a review on the toy and the attached photo pretty much shows my view towards the toy. i need MUCH MORE convincing to shell out 100 bucks for something like this

the pic is from a review on seibertron btw:
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/toy-review-of-knight-morpher-commander/17844/
________
Ford model y (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Model_Y)