PDA

View Full Version : Rant time - Fewer people shipping to Canada

Covain
05-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Lately while I have been hunting around on eBay I am finding that more and more people are not shipping to Canada and now, while looking at sales posts in the 2005 board I see people even on the boards are going this way. What the hell is going on? The Cdn dollar is the strongest it's been in roughly 30 years and I can't take bloody advantage of it. What is the big hassle with shipping here? Is it customs / postal or people just being to dam lazy and ignorant. If people are not shipping because of bad deals with others then why penalize an entire COUNTRY. Idiots!!!! :mad: It's petty I know but I get great pleasure when I see an auction go for very little because these idiots don't open it up to more buyers and increase the market. Hell Dam-Ass Morons!!!!!!!!!!!

jourdo
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I've never had an issue shipping stuff south of the border. However, I also make sure anything I send is trackable, as I need to cover my ass. This costs a little more, but I'm not willing to take the chance. Same thing when I get things shipped to me from the US... I want it trackable/insurable.

Maybe the customs forms are really complicated sending things up here. I do think it is retarded that they are unwilling to send things up here. I agree it is nice to see auctions go for less than they could go if they opened it up to N. America at least.

Tech Spec
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I made a rant about htis a year and a half ago LOL

Paradigm-Shift Prime
05-25-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't like how people in the States charge a maxed out flat rate 'international' shipping charge and we have to pay as much as to China when sometimes we're an hour away. I've only made a couple of ebay purchases from the US, now that I'm getting into collecting g1 boxes though it seems I'm going to have to look to the south more frequently.

Vangelus
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
I just check a few things, in terms of ebay.

-If there's a given -specified- Canadian shipping rate, that's a plus.

-If I can contact the seller for a Canadian shipping rate, that's a plus.

-If the rate is what I've come to accept as reasonable shipping to BC ($8-$15), that's a plus.

Just gotta feel them out. :D As for reasons why people -don't- ship outside of their country, I suspect the customs process is simply too daunting/time-consuming for some to consider.

Synch
05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
The shiping prices have changed in the u.s. to canada so shiping supposidly costs a LOT more now than it use too... I think thats causing a lot of people to bail of late as well.

What I find annoying is those who over charge for shiping now there prices are even higher :S E bay is going to take a hit for sure though profit wise because of alll this I think though ...

Tech Spec
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Shipping is still cheaper in the US than it is here... I just received my TF Universe Sunstreaker and shipping was only $4.66 for them to ship it to Canada. If I was to ship the same package the same way it would cost me $10 ot $15.

agesthreeandup
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
One of the big reasons I see is that shipping international from the US is such a huge pain in the ass. It is cheaper for sure but there is no real tracking unless you pay extra for it and you have to fill out tons of paperwork and include invoices for everything. I bring down a lot of international packages and then ship them USPS as Canada Post is so expensive.

One other huge minus is that the numbers that do come with each of the international paperwork is not valid with Payapl so a lot of the time sellers loose money when someone files for a not received claim and paypal sides with the buyer.

It is just so much easier to ship within the US. Sorry to be the voice of reason. Does not mean I agree with it.

Spencer.

Tech Spec
05-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I hear ya.... you see their customs forms? It's like applying for a student loan. :D

-KG-
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
It's almost at the point where it's not worth buying anything from the US. You have to pay for the item, then a lot of time they want you to pay $20 or more for shipping, then you have to deal with custom charges. This year I've had to pay $70, $35, and $25 customs charges. Unless I get a real deal I've stopped buying anything from outside of Canada.

Tech Spec
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
If you can get a tracking number and you can get the shipper to declare it as a $20 gift, it should be all good.

Covain
05-25-2007, 06:59 PM
There are a ton of options that are available but more sellers are just shutting the door all together. And don't get me started on some of the shipping quotes I get sometimes. I was told yesterday that it would cost $30 to ship a Classics Devastator to me. $30 :eek: . That's nuts. To be fair however the rate calculator used by the post office and eBay is out-to-lunch. Oh well, we can just wait for the exsclusives to come up here like they always do and buy them in our local stores :rolleyes: . Exscuse me while I beat my head on the keyboard.

vvbnvnvmbnmvgcbv,hjvbnhyvbcnbn vbnbnm,

Team Jetfire
05-25-2007, 11:00 PM
It's almost at the point where it's not worth buying anything from the US. You have to pay for the item, then a lot of time they want you to pay $20 or more for shipping, then you have to deal with custom charges. This year I've had to pay $70, $35, and $25 customs charges. Unless I get a real deal I've stopped buying anything from outside of Canada.

Depending on the seller, they can mark the item as a gift and declare the value as 20 bucks. It will come quicker and you will not have to pay the custom charges.

This could affect the insurance if any, but depending on the item it may be cheaper for you in the long run.

As a side note I have never had a seller who would not send to Canada. They may say so, but just ask the question and they will usually say yes...

jourdo
05-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Depending on the seller, they can mark the item as a gift and declare the value as 20 bucks. It will come quicker and you will not have to pay the custom charges.

This is not always the case. I got custom charges once for a small ticket item (under $20 and a "gift"). I asked the postie about it, and she said it is honestly totally random which packages they choose for charges. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

agesthreeandup
05-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I have had many packages come in through Canada Post marked at several hundred dollars and not been dinged by them and other times I have. There does not seem to be a whole lot of rhyme or reason for Canada Posts customs charges.

And the $5! WTF? For printing a piece of paper? Come on. That is BS.

Spencer.

Team Jetfire
05-25-2007, 11:33 PM
This is not always the case. I got sutom charges once for a small ticket item (under $20 and a "gift"). I asked the postie about it, and she said it is honestly totally random which packages they choose for charges. It does not happen often, but it does happen.

That makes sense. My wife just got a new hair straightener from ebay. Seller marked it as a "gift" and value of $5 and they still opened it up, gave it some perceived value of 40 bucks and charged us gst.

I thought it was because it said it was a hair straightener and it had a higher value.

jourdo
05-25-2007, 11:38 PM
And the $5! WTF? For printing a piece of paper? Come on. That is BS.

No... that is for them to physically pick-up/kick your package over to the table. Print off a piece of paper. Place said piece of paper on your package.

Come on Spencer, you as a business owner should know this kind of labour is costly. Isn't $5 really a small price to pay to ensure our borders are properly protected by the fine civil servants at Canada Post?

O-O-O-R-R-R...

it is totally BS... Kind of on the fence with this one.

Team Jetfire
05-26-2007, 01:01 AM
:lol

agesthreeandup
05-26-2007, 01:10 AM
I kind of figure it is a thing that when Canada Post does not 'make enough' in a day they just open a few parcels and charge the $5 fee to make up for the days losses.

Spencer - wishes I could charge a random fee to make up for crappy sales days.

Synch
05-26-2007, 01:55 AM
No... that is for them to physically pick-up/kick your package over to the table. Print off a piece of paper. Place said piece of paper on your package.

Come on Spencer, you as a business owner should know this kind of labour is costly. Isn't $5 really a small price to pay to ensure our borders are properly protected by the fine civil servants at Canada Post?

O-O-O-R-R-R...

it is totally BS... Kind of on the fence with this one.

Pfttt.... I'm gona go with what ages said on this one :) :D

Whats worse is when you buy from someone locally and it takes HALF a month ++ to get to you?.. GRRR I brought some HC off a guy on ebay in vancouver & still have not brought it ... NOT VERY HAPPY! :(

jourdo
05-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I kind of figure it is a thing that when Canada Post does not 'make enough' in a day they just open a few parcels and charge the $5 fee to make up for the days losses.

Spencer - wishes I could charge a random fee to make up for crappy sales days.

The part of this that pisses me off is that they have never actually OPENED any of my packages. Just charge me the $5 to pick up the box and move it across the table.

And I agree... I'm now going to start charging random fees to make up for the slow days!

Phy
05-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I'll take a Canada Post $5 charge over UPS' $40 charge to do the exact same thing. Not that the CP version isn't a pain in the ass as well.

-KG-
05-26-2007, 01:45 PM

This could affect the insurance if any, but depending on the item it may be cheaper for you in the long run.

As a side note I have never had a seller who would not send to Canada. They may say so, but just ask the question and they will usually say yes...

I just got an item that I requested be marked as a gift and it was... and I still got charged $25...

Covain
05-26-2007, 10:03 PM
If it was marked as a gift you can send the customs slip back to the post office and get a refund as long as it was under $60 Canadian in value.

Mega_Zarak
05-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Some sellers will refuse to declare the value as low as 20$. Anyways, I prefer paying customs fees than taking the risk of loosing a vintage item. If your item ever gets lost and if you purchased insurance you will only be covered for 20$. For me it's a high risk I'm not always willing to take.

tilallr1
05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Dudes it gets worse. Because of Canada Post shipping types items I sell and ship cost more to send to certain places in Canada then US or International.

For example, if I want to send a small parcel from ON to BC, its costs me a minimum of $14. But to send the same parcel to the US its like $7 and International it only costs $9. Crazy!!!

But of course the Canadian item has tracking. The others DO NOT. But still.

Paradigm-Shift Prime
05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Dudes it gets worse. Because of Canada Post shipping types items I sell and ship cost more to send to certain places in Canada then US or International.

For example, if I want to send a small parcel from ON to BC, its costs me a minimum of $14. But to send the same parcel to the US its like $7 and International it only costs $9. Crazy!!!

But of course the Canadian item has tracking. The others DO NOT. But still.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean here. Plus shipping cost of the same place/same weight can cost different amounts, depending on who serves you and other random things.

devilsknight
05-28-2007, 11:54 PM
I've had two times that seller's in the US have pissed me off...once was when i bought a complete G1 Sludge off eBay for $35 shipped...which was all fine and dandy until I went to pickup the item and they informed me of a customs fee of $40 Canadian...i'm like wtf...i check the declared value he marked it as $150US...i sent back the package right there, and never got my money back from that scam artist...

then today...i won a Sixshot on eBay and asked him the usual song of marking it as a gift and lowering it's declared value to $20US...and here's the reply i got from him...almost fell off my chair in confusion figuring out wtf this had to do with my request.

I am sorry but I won't confirm in writing that I am willing to do that. I think that would be foolish. It is nothing personal but you have to understand that I am a registered sole prop. of a business here in NJ
and that I pay income taxes on the profit I make on ebay and collect NJ sales tax. If you are an individual and sell a couple things on ebay I am sure it is no big deal but I make my living at this and will probably be having between 1000-2000 auctions this year...

Someone PLEASE tell me what the hell that has to do with what i asked ?!

ARGH !!!!

nuropa
05-29-2007, 12:07 AM
I've had two times that seller's in the US have pissed me off...once was when i bought a complete G1 Sludge off eBay for $35 shipped...which was all fine and dandy until I went to pickup the item and they informed me of a customs fee of $40 Canadian...i'm like wtf...i check the declared value he marked it as $150US...i sent back the package right there, and never got my money back from that scam artist...

then today...i won a Sixshot on eBay and asked him the usual song of marking it as a gift and lowering it's declared value to $20US...and here's the reply i got from him...almost fell off my chair in confusion figuring out wtf this had to do with my request.

Someone PLEASE tell me what the hell that has to do with what i asked ?!

ARGH !!!!

i think seller is putting down the retail price, not the winning bid price. you could have gotten the some money back on #1 from Canada Custom by providing proof of ebay purchase. a bit more hassle,

for #2, save some money is all good, I've asked seller to do the same before, but at the same time, seller has the right to refuse to go along with this, since you are asking him to lie to Custom which is a government agency after all, why take the risk at all.

devilsknight
05-29-2007, 12:10 AM
yah i understand that...but what does it have to do with his business and effecting his profits ?!

nuropa
05-29-2007, 12:29 AM
yah i understand that...but what does it have to do with his business and effecting his profits ?!

you can take it two ways, one he is saying he is an e-bay business, he reports his ebay earning to the government, so there can't be discrepancies including his shipping records. or he is saying that he does large volume and can't fulfill every buyer's special request.

Synch
05-29-2007, 01:16 AM
!

You should have just paid it and fought customs for it which you can do if the item is labeled wrong... the ebay auction is you're proof theres no reason for that really... I have read of this happening before and the guy had to fill out a buncha forms and such but he got his $$$ back I think!

Allso if you said to ship it back to the seller well... odds are they THEN made that guy pay the shiping charges & the customs fees to go with it ... Returning the item to the original owner is not simply a nice customer service act by the po :P

devilsknight
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
It's ok now, the guy explained to me secretly in an email why he said he couldn't tell me over email why he couldn't lower the customs declaration and mark it as a gift

The U.S. Government monitors his emails !!! :confused:

...yah...I'm not joking either...

lol

agesthreeandup
05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Ha! That is funny, the govenment monitors his email? I find that a little hard to believe.

On the other hand, if he ever did get audited and was asked to provide proof of everything he sent out and values, if he lies on one and it does not match up, there are penalties and fees for that.

Sounds to me like this guy is a little on the paranoid side of things.

Spencer.

Covain
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
I have had a couple of items arrive where the seller thought they were doing me a favor by indicating a higher value on the customs form. All you have to do is printo out a copy of the auction final value and mail it along with the customs form with tha package to get a refund.

jourdo
05-30-2007, 01:19 AM
I have had a couple of items arrive where the seller thought they were doing me a favor by indicating a higher value on the customs form. All you have to do is printo out a copy of the auction final value and mail it along with the customs form with tha package to get a refund.

I didn't know you could do this. Crap! Last year I won an auction for Energon Ironhide for $1.00. He declared it at retail price and I got nailed on it. Wish I had know this back then.

kidkid
05-30-2007, 02:31 AM
It's ok now, the guy explained to me secretly in an email why he said he couldn't tell me over email why he couldn't lower the customs declaration and mark it as a gift

The U.S. Government monitors his emails !!! :confused:

...yah...I'm not joking either...

lol Government monitors his email....lmfao That's totally bs....:D

I don't know, there are still some good sellers from the US, I received my Devastator today, there is no duty fee or anything, it's only 42 dollars canadian with shipping and everything. U just have to check pretty often to see if anyone is selling from the US.