PDA

View Full Version : MySpace/Facebook...Etc...Can Someone Explain These To Me?

soundwaveCA
05-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Because I just don't get it?! :confused:

What do you do with them, just talk about random stuff about yourself or what? I donno if it's just me but I'm not seeing the appeal here. :confused:

jourdo
05-23-2007, 11:50 PM
To find slutty women to have anonymous sex with.

... at least that is what I've heard.

Actually in all seriousness... What is Facebook?

soundwaveCA
05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Actually in all seriousness... What is Facebook?

Some KO of MySpace I think.

GMfan
05-23-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't get it either....everyone I know has one or the other or both and try to get me on them. Personally I can't stand MSN let alone the pseudo-relationships made on myspace/facebook. If you want friends make the effort to meet them in real life and have a real freakin conversation.

soundwaveCA
05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
What kills me is its like I'm adding people I already know and talk to on a regular or semi-regular basis. Why do I need to go through a process of "connecting" with people I know already? And the rest of the people who get added to your profile are just random people from the internet.

Yeah I just dont understand.

GMfan
05-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Ya facebook is a myspace ripoff thats more famous in ontario then anywhere else...its used mainly by university/college and high school students so its a pedo's wonderland. Honestly its the dumbest internet invention in years...

Code of Honor
05-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Oh thank God, people that agree with me on facebook and myspace. I never joined myspace, it always reminded me of the crappy web sites that I made back in the mid to late 90's. I'm on facebook only because some of my old friends that I don't see that much are on there. but I also don't use it very much. the funniest thing about this whole myspace, facebook thing is by the end of this year everyone will be on some other social network site.

Mumps
05-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I made a facebook account.
For what me and my friends use it for is not as useless and perverted as some people use it for.

It's an easy way to plan events. You set up and event on the callender, write a small description, and invite everybody you know who is on your friends list. Thats all I use Facebook for. You can also find friends from Highschool and College, assuming they have made a Facebook.

It's easier than phoning people one at a time, or e-mailing not knowing if they will check.
Trust me, people check facebook more often then their own e-mail.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
05-24-2007, 01:01 AM
No ond can really explain the Facebook addiction. It's so sad to say i have one. It's not much different from a forum. You talk to people, Join groups and post threads/wall posts. It's basiclly the same thing except Forums are better.
I didn't quite get it at first either, Then my cousin made me one, and I keep getting god damn messages in my Inbox from facebook. Fuck off Facebook i'm trying to do work.

Super_Megatron
05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Facebook is a great way to find old friends, I found an ex girlfriend and people I went to elemenatary school with.

Shepp
05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
facebook is more or less a message board combined with a blog and a personal homepage. many are addicted to it, but its a good way to keep in contact and update people on the goings on in your life.

i've read the terms of service and stuff, and facebook seems the most fair, since they tell you flat out that you're in control of how much info you give out. they give you just enough rope to get you into trouble, but its your own doing if you do. plus, whatever you delete, they delete.

plus it works well to organize events, and keep a gaming group or clan or guild or whatever in games more organized.

i'd suggest people check it out, but its not for everyone. and read the terms of service and privacy policy, as with any site.

RandomFerret
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Facebook's handy for planning parties. You get all your friends on there, and you want to have a barbecue, it takes like three clicks and everybody's got a nice fancy invite.

That way you can make sure nobody's left out.

Nightscrabbler
05-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I think the main idea is to reconnect with old friends as Colin said. I don't really use the other features, except events/groups and uploading pictures.

soundwaveCA
05-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Well considering my old friends are no better then any of my enemies I'm happy I stayed clear then.

Cruellock
05-24-2007, 11:55 PM
I tried using MySpace to get readers for my comic, but all I got was bands sending me ads for their various shows.

Dark Rage
05-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm in college, so it's sort of a normal application for me.

I keep in touch w/ coworkers (past and present), I get to see events being planned, and it's useful enough to keep in touch, but not too intimate, since you don't know the person well enough to talk one-on-one.

Again, there are downsides to Facebook, there are definitely some people I don't want to know anymore for the sake of my own privacy, but you can always reject a person on Facebook.

So...who wants me to create a Soundwave reissue meetup at Dufferin mall for the morning of Saturday June 2nd on facebook? LOL

Team Jetfire
05-25-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm on Facebook too,

Like others have said good for hooking up with old Friends, but bad for being stocked by old girlfreinds...

Tech Spec
05-25-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm on Facebook too,

Like others have said good for hooking up with old Friends, but bad for being stocked by old girlfreinds...

I have been stalked by a few already

darthrage
05-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Myspace is to the US, whereas Friendster and Facebook is to Canada.

Myspace appeals to Americans more because not only did it start there but celebrities and also big corporations have a myspace page.

I started off with Friendster but its kinda dying down with the Facebook popularity. Now I just don't use it any more.

I signed up for Facebook, actually was forced to sign up cuz the girl i'm dating forced me to do it. I don't really like it cuz I find it to be an invasion of privacy because it tells everyone who exactly who you are in a relationship with and everything about them as well as their friends. Well not everything. Also it somehow contacts everyone in your e-mail address book and tells them you are on facebook and asks them to sign up. And then later you will find people whom you don't like from high school asking you to "be-friend" them. Too much personal info revealed if you ask me

I ended up deleting my account. Too many people I don't want to be associated with asking me to "be-friend" them. I would add them to my friends group as long as I am personal friends with them because honestly I just don't k know them well enough to have them in my circle. I also don't like the fact that your friends can post photos of you and it will appear on your page.

Vangelus
05-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Myspace and Facebook (FB especially) have caused me to internet-bump into people I haven't seen for years. :D Is quite cool, as most people will just go "yeah I'm doing so and so" and leave it at that. I like the little updates.

Protoman
06-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I use facebook a lot, mainly to find friends that I have not seen since the dawn of time. I also run the Montreal Transformers group there which has a unexpected large ammount of members (no doubt just due to the movie).

Birdman
06-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I use Facebook to keep in touch with my listeners for This Week in Geek and it seems to work quite well.

Autovolt 127
07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Facebook is a great way to find old friends, I found an ex girlfriend and people I went to elemenatary school with.

Wow!:eek:

But i shouldn't I'm not over 18,hell not even close.

C_Shewins
07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't have any interest on this Facebook thingie, til I got an old old friend invited. I went in, and BOMB, all these people pop up on my facebook...Most people who use this facebook thingie are girls....I don't know maybe just my list... I don't think facebook is fun at all...but well, there I am, as my friends wished.

chisau
07-02-2007, 05:37 PM
the main purpose of facebook was to have a easy way for university buddies stay in contact with each other after graduation. It's also useful when a job opening is available and and they let their friends know about it. before anyone else.

Students and Alumni of Uof T keep in touch with each other and help each other advance their career.

Of course, later when business bought it. it expanded into finding friends and stuff.

Dark Rage
07-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Facebook was developed by UofT students.

the main purpose of facebook was to have a easy way for university buddies stay in contact with each other after graduation. It's also useful when a job opening is available and and they let their friends know about it. before anyone else.

Students and Alumni of Uof T keep in touch with each other and help each other advance their career.

Of course, later when business bought it. it expanded into finding friends and stuff.

I've never heard of this before, I've always read that it was developed by a Harvard graduate/student. Where have you heard of this?

Nightscrabbler
07-03-2007, 07:55 AM
I've never heard of this before, I've always read that it was developed by a Harvard graduate/student. Where have you heard of this?

Correct
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

JLvatron
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
A good reason that pushed me to join, was getting invited by a far friend who I otherwise had almost no contact with. In fact alatta folks aint emailers much and rely on facebook, so it's a way to stay in touch. Plus everyone has their own profile page they can update, so it's a good way to check up what's new with them.

Sometimes it's handy to just glance at someone's news without having to bother actually sending them an official email.

I like tv.com for that too.

chisau
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
ooops....

I stand corrected, it wasn't developed by UofT students. But that was what it was usd for.

My ryerson friends uses MSN the same way. We keep in contact after gratuation and inform each other what's going on in the industry.

I was told it was a UofT student whom came up with the idea. but it was the americans who developed it.

C_Shewins
07-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Haha...that's why I don't really enjoy using it, not really that useful. I prefer MSN more than Facebook.