PDA

View Full Version : Walmart vs the BBB. Should I start taking bets?

Sokar
10-27-2009, 01:49 AM
I thought it would be worth starting a different thread instead of zombifying the voyagers for 10$ thread, since it might inadvertently trick people into looking up an old sale.

As some of you might have noticed from the animated/universe voyagers for 10$ sale thread, I ran into some issues (along with many others on the boards here) with getting any animated figures at the advertised price. After fighting with management and being told to phone their district manager, I hit a wall, since the district manager apparently doesn't answer his phone. Anyway, as others did as well, I decided to file a complaint with the bbb, and hoped to have things resolved through there. Unfortunately, unlike others here (I believe brr-iccy was an example), my Walmart hasn't made any effort to resolve the issue.

Standard policy I guess for the bbb is to send the business the complaint, then give them 2 weeks to respond before sending it again with another 2 week deadline.

This is the progression I've had so far:

10/19/2009 Second Notice to Business
10/19/2009 Consumer - Have You Heard From the Company
10/19/2009 No response to first notice to business
10/01/2009 Inform Business of Complaint
10/01/2009 Send Acknowledgement to Consumer
10/01/2009 Complaint Validated by BBB Operator
09/30/2009 Complaint Received by BBB

They apparently should responds to the bbb by the 29th, but I'm wondering if I should almost take bets as to whether or not they actually respond.

If they don't respond I'll be a little ticked off I think, but at this point it's sort of hard not to laugh and wonder how this company stays in business some days. I get the fact that they're a big corporation and probably are so distanced from their customer base on any sort of personal level that they really couldn't give a rat's hind quarters about what I think about them, but at the same time unless I'm mistaken, the bbb is not a group you want to take lightly is it?

Taken from a more comedic standpoint though, any bets on whether or not Walmart decides to respond to the complaint, or if they'll just shrug it off

pud333
10-27-2009, 02:10 AM
I doubt the BBB can do anything to make Walmart change. It's not like we're dealing with a mom and pop shop. Walmart stays in business because a) people are cheap and don't want to pay a lot for a product and b) because of this, Walmart offers cheap products in mass quantities that they can sell for cheaper than their competitor due to their large volumes. So long as people want low priced goods, manufacturers continue to export their manufacturing to places where they pay slave-like wages, and Walmart continues to pay crappy wages and benefits to its employees, it's very easy for Walmart to stay in business.

But I sympathize with you. Walmart licks.

brr-icy
10-27-2009, 07:51 AM
walmart called me, and settled the matter as quickly as possible, so with the second call, they are walking on thin ice with them, and i think something bad can happen to the store if they don't fix their error

Beechy
10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
What does BBB stand for?

Cliffjumper69
10-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I just got a letter from head office, I have a plane ticket in the mail with a company Visa, and a rental car to come break your legs. Nothing personal, its just business ;)

CJ

Aernaroth
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
What does BBB stand for?

Better Business Bureau. Though, to be fair, I think walmart is going to make piles of money even if they don't respond to the complaint, and are thus unmotivated to act on it. Complaining to the BBB works better with small businesses.

You were right to stand by your convictions and complain to the BBB rather than just sitting back and taking it though.

Team Jetfire
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I respect your gumption for staying with this Sokar. Having some issues in the past with Wal-Mart it is nice that someone is trying to stand up to them.

Just for fun I called the Wal-Mart Canada Corp number 905-821-2111 and explained the situation that you were going though. They mentioned that the bbb compliant goes through there customer service debt at corporate and they will handle it from there in a bout a week or two. Seeing as it has been a week or two I gather that they have dropped the claim and decided to give up on being a customer friendly store...

jourdo
10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I voted that they will do absosmurfly nothing and basically flip the middle finger to customer service... but with a big yellow smiley face on while doing it.

Alexander Quinn
10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I doubt Wal-Mart cares what the BBB thinks of them at this point. I'm pretty sure they pay for the execs at the BBB to go golfing, so you're probably gonna hit a brick wall there.

What was this about? I gather you had issues with their Voyager sale a few weeks back? I'm kinda surprised they didn't just cave and help you out. Mine has tried to give me the classic run-around on figures not coming up for sale, most recently this week with their Deluxes not scanning on sale. I got some line about how the ones in stock weren't the right Item Number figures and that the right ones were still on the truck. I slapped a flyer down in front of them, pointed out the simple text, the clause at the bottom stating simular items can be substituted if the 'proper' item isn't in stock and their Price scan policy, and got one figure for free and the rest rung up at the sale price. I guess your store has more concrete disgruntled workers than mine. Mine are just regular disgruntled. :)

Cheers Ian
10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Hopefully you'll get a $10 Voyager.

Call your local Paper about this, they would love a story about how "Wal-Mart doesn't honor it's own Advertised sale"

Cheers!
-Ian

Sokar
10-29-2009, 05:37 PM
What was this about? I gather you had issues with their Voyager sale a few weeks back? I'm kinda surprised they didn't just cave and help you out. Mine has tried to give me the classic run-around on figures not coming up for sale, most recently this week with their Deluxes not scanning on sale. I got some line about how the ones in stock weren't the right Item Number figures and that the right ones were still on the truck. I slapped a flyer down in front of them, pointed out the simple text, the clause at the bottom stating simular items can be substituted if the 'proper' item isn't in stock and their Price scan policy, and got one figure for free and the rest rung up at the sale price. I guess your store has more concrete disgruntled workers than mine. Mine are just regular disgruntled. :)

I actually argued with the customer service rep, toy dept. rep, and assistant manager about the flyer, but they stuck by the 'it's a different item number' defense, so there wasn't much I could do. I told them it was false advertising, but they didn't seem to care at that point and just told me to phone their head office, who never did end up responding to me.

I just got a letter from head office, I have a plane ticket in the mail with a company Visa, and a rental car to come break your legs. Nothing personal, its just business ;)
CJ

I'm happy just to finally get a frikkin' response. Bring a safety mask though. I have the flu and might still be contagious

walmart called me, and settled the matter as quickly as possible, so with the second call, they are walking on thin ice with them, and i think something bad can happen to the store if they don't fix their error

This I find interesting actually. It seems to show just how disorganized walmart is on a national level I think. It's sort of the same with futureshop too I've found. Here in calgary they started off pretty bad for cs, but in since bestbuy and other stores have opened up they've become a bit more accomodating and I've started actually shopping there again. And yet, in saskatoon they were real jerks when it came to customer service. I brought in my month old laptop because the hard drive seemed excessively loud (which is usually what they sound like before it dies) and in the middle of the store the 'tech' turns it on, holds it up to his ear and says "I don't hear anything", then tells me my option is to send it to hp myself when it was obvious what the problem was.

I'm pretty well agreed with the 70% of the rest of you who said they would just ignore me, and it looks like that will be the case since today is the cut off for the complaint.

That was some interesting information you got as well Team Jetfire! If anything it's certainly something to think about.

I wonder if it would be worth e-mailing hasbro.... hmmm... :rolleyes:

Alexander Quinn
10-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I actually argued with the customer service rep, toy dept. rep, and assistant manager about the flyer, but they stuck by the 'it's a different item number' defense, so there wasn't much I could do. I told them it was false advertising, but they didn't seem to care at that point and just told me to phone their head office, who never did end up responding to me.

I wonder if it would be worth e-mailing hasbro.... hmmm... :rolleyes:

That's just insane. They tried the item number garbage with me, but they caved pretty quickly. Shame the flyer's effective dates are over, cause I think you might have gotten some ground with the "we'll sell you a simular item at the discount price if we fuck up" clause. Still, you shouldn't have to get so technical and have to out-manuever them just to get a sale that they're advertising. Damn.

Try complaining to Hasbro. Include your local Wal-Mart's District Manager's phone number and maybe they'll call him up and give him some shit on your behalf. You should get some kind of compensation for being treated this way. Keep us posted if anything actually comes through for ya!

Sokar
11-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Well, I've run into an interesting development.

I recieved an email form the alberta BBB and they informed me that apparently customer service issues for Walmart are not handled here, but is handled outside of their regional area, and they have since forwarded it to the area that it is handled in.... in Arkansas!

So my complaint is now filed with the Arkansas BBB and walmart has until the 18th to respond, and if not by then, then they have until the 2nd of december I think.

Seriously this is ridiculous. All this because they can't read and understand their own flyer. Sheesh.....

Cliffjumper69
11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/Ando0034/Simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg

CJ

JLvatron
11-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Walmart may not respond this time, but eventually they will when BBB tells them they're to be placed on the 'Unprofessional business' list (or whatever they call it).

I'm sure BBB will handle it correctly.

And make sure you don't settle for a 10$ voyager, the 1st 1 should be free according to their scanning error policy! :)

JLvatron
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I've run into an interesting development.

I recieved an email form the alberta BBB and they informed me that apparently customer service issues for Walmart are not handled here, but is handled outside of their regional area, and they have since forwarded it to the area that it is handled in.... in Arkansas!

So my complaint is now filed with the Arkansas BBB and walmart has until the 18th to respond, and if not by then, then they have until the 2nd of december I think.

Seriously this is ridiculous. All this because they can't read and understand their own flyer. Sheesh.....

BBB did that with me too. Their canadian website went nowhere so I filed the Complaint for Virgin Mobile (Toronto) on their main BBB site. And it was sent to their New Jersey branch!!! :eek::D

I emailed them about my surprise since it's a Toronto address and they transferred it to the correct Ontario BBB office.
Still, Virgin contacted me, crawling on their knees, after months of ignoring their own faults.

Be patient. I'm sure your patience will outlast theirs.:)

JLvatron
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/Ando0034/Simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg

CJ

You didn't really post that.

Are you like 3 years old or soemthing? Please grow up and learn to communicate like an adult or at least a close proximity of 1, if you are capable.

Sokar
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Are you like 3 years old or soemthing? Please grow up and learn to communicate like an adult or at least a close proximity of 1, if you are capable.

I don't think he meant anything bad by it. He might have been posting it as a laugh at walmart or the situation too.

I agree that patience is the right course of action here too. Hopefully their american branch is similar to the virgin one you dealt with and they acknowledge their mistake.

Cliffjumper69
11-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Below Me! :D

CJ

JLvatron
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't think he meant anything bad by it. He might have been posting it as a laugh at walmart or the situation too.

I agree that patience is the right course of action here too. Hopefully their american branch is similar to the virgin one you dealt with and they acknowledge their mistake.

Yah, hopefully.

Below Me! :D

Ok, THAT made me laugh!! :D:D

JLvatron
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
So what's the news, Sokar?