PDA

View Full Version : Anime North

Super_Megatron
05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
May 25-27
http://www.animenorth.com/
I went last year as part of the TransformersCon promotional table, lots of people there. Lots of girls wearing interesting outfits as well :p

soundwaveCA
05-08-2007, 05:23 PM
I hear if you stare at them too long you go blind!

noodle
05-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Cosplay scares me. Now if you excuse me, I must be putting on my Pikachu costume now...

In all serious though anime conventions looks like fun for anime fans, but is something I dont think I can spend a weekend at.

I remember a few years back I had to pick up my brother from Winnipeg's annual anime convention, Ai-Kon. I made the mistake of asking a cosplayer who he dressed up like... boy was that a mistake. Im still oftened haunted by that day. T-T

edit: actually I would go if there was free pocky...

Protoman
05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I went the past 3 years, the dealer room is nothing Toronto does not have already in Chinatown or any local DVD/comic store. Anime North is more for the cosplay and social aspect of it, since a lot of people that "roll that way", this is their only time to be social all year....... dressed as Goku. But in all seriousness, TF wise, their is always great chances of Ocean Group voice actors showing up, so that's like over 50 TF characters right there (10 of them just being Scott Mcneil ;) ) Anyhow it's all good fun, just sometimes if your a little more from the real world...... it can get a little weird. I think having overweight girls dressed as Naruto characters begging 2 guys dressed as Cloud and Seph from FF7 to kiss was my limit. But again, TF voice actors, maybe a TF toy to snag, that's about it Transformers wise.

Nerroth
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
So just to clear up - will there be much of a dealer room at the event for picking uf TFs?

Aernaroth
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I would not expect many TFs there. The Japanese exclusives, maybe. But I wouldn't go there for the express purpose of picking up TFs. Because there won't be many.

Super_Megatron
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
So just to clear up - will there be much of a dealer room at the event for picking uf TFs?

No.

Nerroth
05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok then.

So, how many of the regulars here are going?

I'll be there, on at least one of the days. Not yet sure which, though.

Xalticus
05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I hear if you stare at them too long you go blind!

Thats a forced measure of blindness as while staring at all the ladies you'll get a break in the good stream and mistake a guy for a girl as hes dressed as a female character, how ever its too late to undo seeing that thus you take measures to go blind as fast as possible as you see a surly lot of manime fans dressed as Sailor Scouts approaching.

I believe I recall a similar incident occurring one year at a Toronto Trek with a guy dressed up as StarFire from Teen Titans, those are things that burn themselves into your mind.

Code of Honor
05-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Ok then.

I'll probably be there all weekend at the TransformersCon promotional table.

Transbot90210
05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I've been doing anime north since the first one. I'm not into anime but my friend owns a store and I help him at all the cons.

I've been to comic cons, tf cons and amine cons. I must say anime cons are the deadliest of the three. I have yet to make it through a weekend sober. 99% of the people there are, well to be nice, not so normal. The only perk is once in a blue moon you catch a hot chick in costume.

The only plus I can say about the anime cons (which does not apply to me) is that the people there seem to be having the time of thier lives. Everyone deserves to smile.

As for TFs little to nothing and if you do see something it is usually way over prices.

Thanx
Transbot90210

Ninjatron
05-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, I will be there. This will be my 6th year in attendance.

There's going to be a Transformers discussion panel on Saturday (subject to change), so come on over, say hello, and talk TFs with some cool folks!

Sayonara.

Cruellock
05-12-2007, 01:42 AM
I'd like to go, but doubt I ever will unless it's close by. Cosplaying would be fun, but I heard some people tackle hug you if you dress up like a character they like.

GMfan
05-12-2007, 01:45 AM
I'd like to go, but doubt I ever will unless it's close by. Cosplaying would be fun, but I heard some people tackle hug you if you dress up like a character they like.

I actually went one year in hopes of finding some TF stuff (this was before I discovered this wonderful convention) and it states in the program that tackling is prohibited and grounds for dismisal from the convention...needless to say I didn't dress up but was greatly disappointed by the lack of TF stuff and overpriced crap. I even saw a guy there dress as a Jedi and when I told him he was at the wrong convention he told me to "F--- off"....very un-Jedi like.

GMfan
05-12-2007, 01:49 AM
I'll probably be there all weekend at the TransformersCon promotional table.

We got a promo table? :confused:

TFcon Toronto
05-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Yes, we setup tables at other shows year round in order to help promote TransformersCon. One of those is Anime North. The tables are manned by TransformersCon staff and volunteers throughout the weekend. We hand out flyers and other promotional material to the attendees of the events.

Amazon_Flarescythe
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Ok then.

i'm goin' and cosplayin' as well

yuri(girlxgirl) character himeko kuragawa(kannazuki no miko) just tryin' somethin' new this year.(i'll be the one walking around with a bag of chibi tf plushies to sell)

last year i cosplayed at hotrod and had lil rodimus plushie on my shoulder and a plushie matrix with a chain hangin' off my hip.

sucks that there isn't many TF dealers but oh well it's an anime con not TFcon.

Black Cat
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I might be attending. Mostly because I just wanna see how it all goes down (and I want a chibi tf plushie! :D).

That, and I have quite a few people wanting me to go, so... if I want to remain in one piece, I kind of have to. :p

Super_Megatron
05-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I'll bring some TFs for the TFCon promo table. ;)

Amazon_Flarescythe
05-16-2007, 01:34 AM
(and I want a chibi tf plushie! :D).

if ya want y' can pre order a TF plushie and can meet up at the tfcon table (red and white preistess outfit with big white pants alot like kikyo from inuyasha but with a blonde wig standin' with a chick in a yellow kimono)

PM me if ya want.

Super_Megatron
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
We'll be at the tables outside the dealer room exit.

Xalticus
05-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Cool stuff, so if I go with my plan of loitering and not paying I'll be able to see you folks with out having to sign my soul over to enter the dealers room?

Nightscrabbler
05-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Cool stuff, so if I go with my plan of loitering and not paying I'll be able to see you folks with out having to sign my soul over to enter the dealers room?

Xalt, pm me if you're interested in volunteering at this show

Nightscrabbler
05-16-2007, 10:30 PM

GMfan, drop me a private message if you are interested in volunteering at this show

Sharkticon
05-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I am going with a bunch of my friends. Never been to AN. Hopefully it's good.

GMfan
05-16-2007, 11:11 PM
You guys should put the voice chaging optimus helmet or leader class Optimus Prime at the table to draw people in :P

Nyghtwynd
05-16-2007, 11:45 PM
I'll be at AN, probably dressed as Aizen from Bleach. If not, i'll um..wear my Autobot hat!

GMfan
05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Where did you get an Autobot hat? Anime north? :D

Nyghtwynd
05-17-2007, 12:54 AM
No, back at TAC, Toronto Anime Convention, in March

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
05-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I wish i was going to this. too many temptations not enough money. and why hello there chris and charles.

GMfan
05-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Whats up nuisance?

But if you just want to enjoy the view you can always loiter like Xalt.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
05-18-2007, 02:10 AM
Loitering eh? sounds like my kind of con. i can still evaluate the cosplayers and not pay.

GMfan
05-18-2007, 02:11 AM
You can have a tally on most popular costume...

The great Swammy predicts Naruto or Cloud from FF7.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
05-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Those definatly are possiblity's. but i've got my eye on seeing some 40 year old male sailor moon's.

Oh what a sight that will be.

Black Cat
05-19-2007, 01:45 PM
*shudders at the thought*

Then again, I guess I'll be seeing them for myself.

*shudders* ;)

soundwaveCA
05-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Looks like I'm going now, wheeee!

Xalticus
05-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Those definatly are possiblity's. but i've got my eye on seeing some 40 year old male sailor moon's.

Oh what a sight that will be.

There's always that one dude dressed as a chick in Purple with that gold septar staff thingy, I think the character is from like Cowboy Bebop or some such, but the Guy seems to wear the same costume every year at CN Anime, not sure if he goes to AN, but he's like our very own Man-Faye (http://site.man-faye.com/Default.aspx?tabid=128) just less explicit, but just as creepy.

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
05-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Oh lord,The infamous Man-Faye. It's so creepy but i can't look away.

Nyghtwynd
05-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Dani, i'm telling you now, this is the Year of L!!

L cosplayers, hundreds of them!!

and haruhi's big too...

MightAsWell Go4ASoda
05-24-2007, 01:16 AM
There are always L's. How come no ones ever Ryuk? I think you could pull it off charles =P

And of course Haruhi's big. but i wanna see some Tsuruya's laughing their asses off.

Xalticus
05-24-2007, 01:34 AM
It's because L is just so easy to pull off, I've even been told I look like L.

Ninjatron
05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
The Transformers discussion panel is sceduled for Friday night at 11pm. Yeah, that's pretty late. Sorry guys. I had nothing to do with that. But, if you can, come on by and join the fun. I promise it will be a good time. If it's not, I'll allow everyone to chop Larry in the ribcage.

Sayonara.

TFcon Toronto
05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
The Transformers discussion panel is sceduled for Friday night at 11pm. Yeah, that's pretty late. Sorry guys. I had nothing to do with that. But, if you can, come on by and join the fun. I promise it will be a good time. If it's not, I'll allow everyone to chop Larry in the ribcage.

Sayonara.

We'll be at the Congress Centre at our table until close, but can I give you some TFCon flyers for those people in attendance?

Ninjatron
05-24-2007, 11:06 PM
We'll be at the Congress Centre at our table until close, but can I give you some TFCon flyers for those people in attendance?

I can absolutley do that. I'll make a point of coming over to see you guys before closing on Saturday.

Sayonara.

Nerroth
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
11pm?

I don't think I'll be able to stay until then...

Sorry.

Gary

Dark Rage
05-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Can we expect more TF stuff available at the Anime Expo for this August?

Super_Megatron
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Can we expect more TF stuff available at the Anime Expo for this August?

Not much. Lots at the Action Figure Expo this September though: http://www.actionfigureexpo.com/

soundwaveCA
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Ya I agree I was at Fan Expo for the first time last year and it was a complete bust dealer room wise. Mostly it was GTA stores selling there regular anime fare, stores that you can go to without the door price. Much more likely to find stuff and toys like TF's at Action Figure Expo like S-Megs suggested.

GMfan
05-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Ya fan expo was pretty bad but I did get some cool Venom comics and an autobot t-shirt...

Sharkticon
05-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Did everyone enjoy Anime North?

This was my first time ever going, so i was shocked by all the costumes and the amount of people. I picked up some cool things:

Death Note Manga 6-9 (buddy got 1-5, so we are swapping).
A replica Death Note.
A Ryuk plushie
A Kingdom Hearts wall scroll.
VGcats "Bleach" shirt
I didn't get much. I was trying to find someone with the Escaflowne TV series, but no-one had it. I saw some TF stuff but it was all overpriced. I might dress up next year as a Transformer, just so i would be different from the 50 Sora's, Naruto's and Bleach characters.

Nerroth
05-27-2007, 07:56 PM
AN wasn't bad - but I didn't really get talking to anyone outside of a panel discussion while there... and that was a little disheartening.

However, I now have these - one of which is a Masterforce-esque Pretender in one of my fics!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/animenorthhaul.jpg

Gary

Nyghtwynd
05-28-2007, 10:09 AM
My haul was:
Ghost in the shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1 box set
Full Metal Panic season 1 box set
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya limited edition DVD set 1
(manga)
Excel Saga #12-14
Disgaea #1
Welcome to the NHK #3
Bleach #19
Street Fighter Alpha #1
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days #5

I was dressed as a S.T.A.R.S soldier from Resident Evil/Biohazard. Much fun was had.

BTW, nice grab on the full armor Saber. It's a Revoltech too?

Nerroth
05-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Yep - she's the Revoltech Saber, I found her at the Silver Snail booth, cost about 40 bucks - and she's awesome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/SaberRodimus.jpg

However, she might need help with the Gundam assembly:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/hmm.jpg

Gary

GMfan
05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I was at the TFcon table most of the afternoon on Sunday...good thing I had fun there otherwise I would have no interest in going again other then laughing at coplayers or oggling the hot ones. $250 for masterpiece Megatron....you can get that $100 cheaper off the net and they ship it to your house. What ever happened to the day where you can get deals at a convention? Oh ya TFcon was last month.

JLvatron
05-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I might dress up next year as a Transformer, just so i would be different from the 50 Sora's, Naruto's and Bleach characters.

That sounds amaze!:)

JLvatron
05-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Sayonara.

Ninja-TriviaChampion, how was your TF discussion panel? I hope the late time didn't hurt it.

Xalticus
05-28-2007, 08:53 PM
The end of the Panel where Larry started giving giving out his phone number was hilarious.

Also my attempt at a cheap con was a success I spent a total of 6 dollars, that was on 2 t-shirts that cost 3 dollars each, those were bought in the last 20 minutes of the dealers room. And in volunteering that was fun too, handed out a whole ton of flyers. The con was aweome.

Wing alpha
05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
this was my first con, Im comming back next year. This was such an awesome experience that no matter how , Ill make it next year.

It was nice meeting all of the people at the tfcon table.- you all are really cool guys.

my haul is nowhere near as impresive.
-bleach print signed by the voice actors
-quincy cross
-pocky box(does that count?)
-VGcats Detergent tshirt,
-kakashi gloves.

Im comming back next year...my only regret was I forgot to buy a tf the movie poster from you guys.(pretty much broke by the time I left-sometime 9pm-

Nerroth
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Following up from my last post:

Launch, Stargazer!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/StargazerSaber.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/Stargazer.jpg

Gary

Wing alpha
05-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Following up from my last post:

Launch, Stargazer!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/StargazerSaber.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/Stargazer.jpg

Gary
I would damn you but stargazer wasnt my favorite gundam- I did like strike noir though

Nerroth
05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh really?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/Stargazerflight.jpg

She does just fine for me!

I like her mostly because she's set up for exploration, while the Noir is just another combat Gundam (albeit one whose designer has obviously seen Code Geass...)

Gary

Nyghtwynd
05-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Ah, i thought Stargazer was a bigger model :(
I like the 1/60 scales like my Freedom and Zaku II Char Custom

Nerroth
05-29-2007, 12:28 AM
I'd love to see a larger-scale Stargazer, but I like the model the size she is!

Gary

Ninjatron
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Ninja-TriviaChampion, how was your TF discussion panel? I hope the late time didn't hurt it.
I thought that the panel went very well, and I was glad that I put forth the effort to make it happen, despite the late time. It was about as well attended as the other panels I spoke on, maybe better. I did my best to plug the TF panel at the other panels I spoke on, and it was rewarding to see a lot of people show up.

Many thanks to everyone who was there. I hope you had a good time. And special thanks to Larry, who helped make the panel really funny and knew his stuff when it came to the movie. It was a blast, so lets plan to do this again next year!

"I feel icky!"

Sayonara.

Wing alpha
05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Oh really?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Nerroth/Stargazerflight.jpg

She does just fine for me!

I like her mostly because she's set up for exploration, while the Noir is just another combat Gundam (albeit one whose designer has obviously seen Code Geass...)

Gary

The exploration Specs are something I like. And Im guilty of liking Code geass-which probably the reason I enjoy the noir .

I kinda have a problem with it due to the plain look of it-the paint job- probably if I painted it in different colors.

Ill admit though, that picture of it is awesome.
I thought that the panel went very well, and I was glad that I put forth the effort to make it happen, despite the late time. It was about as well attended as the other panels I spoke on, maybe better. I did my best to plug the TF panel at the other panels I spoke on, and it was rewarding to see a lot of people show up.

Many thanks to everyone who was there. I hope you had a good time. And special thanks to Larry, who helped make the panel really funny and knew his stuff when it came to the movie. It was a blast, so lets plan to do this again next year!

"I feel icky!"

Sayonara.
Woah I missed the transformers panel NOOOOOOOO

Nerroth
05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
The exploration Specs are something I like. And Im guilty of liking Code geass-which probably the reason I enjoy the noir .

I kinda have a problem with it due to the plain look of it-the paint job- probably if I painted it in different colors.

Ill admit though, that picture of it is awesome.

Woah I missed the transformers panel NOOOOOOOO

Code Geass is great!

I wonder when we'll see model kits of the Knightmare Frames on sale...

Gary