PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 3

Super_Megatron
05-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Who is planning to see it this weekend? Personally I might wait until next weekend to avoid the packed theatres.

dak
05-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm going friday, and seeing it in IMAX.

GMfan
05-02-2007, 09:34 PM
I would so see it Thursday at midnight if there wasen't 7 other people who want to see it with me....looks like I'm going on Saturday afternoon. I hate afternoon movies but I want to see it ASAP and good luck getting seats for 8 people Saturday night.

Dave-astator
05-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I think I'm gonna go either saturday afternoon or night....just saw the Venom trailer and it looks soooo sweet!!
Can't Wait!!

Black Cat
05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
If these blasted work schedules weren't so annoying, I'd be going Friday afternoon. Sadly, my movie buddy has to work until late at night, and our schedules don't match up for the Saturday.

So here's hoping for Sunday! *crosses fingers* And if that doesn't work... I'm going to hurt his manager for making him work that day. :D

I mean... who wants to wait 5 days to see it?

StarwarsTF
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Just got tickets for thursday midnight showing.. Guess work will have to wait till the next day as I will be late!

soundwaveCA
05-03-2007, 12:06 AM
I was excited months ago but I think all the hype has somewhat killed this movie for me. What's funny now is I was only somewhat excited for the TF Movie and very excited for Spidy 3 now its the complete reverse, I'm super hyped for TF's and only lukewarm for this.

jourdo
05-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I'd like to go this weekend, but our usual babysitter is not available until the following weekend. Also, it would be nice to avoid the crowds on this one.

StarwarsTF
05-04-2007, 03:07 AM
OMG I'll never get those two and half hrs of my life back. What was I thinking?? Is this the end of my love for spiderman...
:(

I'll wait till more people see it to discuss it.

CrackerBoy
05-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I'll be waiting a week or so before i see it. I hate packed theaters.

Nightscrabbler
05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I heard it's a letdown, but I am seeing it tonight, it's my friend's birthday.

Cruellock
05-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I was planning on seening it this morning at 11am, but my plans got changed, so I don't know when I'll get to see it now...

Code of Honor
05-04-2007, 05:32 PM
SAVE YOU'RE MONEY! It was awful, wait for the DVD release.

Evan
05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
I think I'll just wait til next weekend.

y2jversion1
05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Bro's dragging me to go... I personally am more of a DC guy though.. never got into the Spidey-hype.

Super_Megatron
05-04-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm going to go see Grindhouse this weekend and wait to see Spidey in a week or 2.

dak
05-04-2007, 07:13 PM
It's not as bad as COH says. It's not good. but it's not horrible. there were some visually awesome sequences in it, and there were some that the movie could have done with out.

Black Cat
05-04-2007, 11:29 PM
What? No! It can't suck!

Do you know how hard it is to look interested when what you're watching, isn't?

Ondoher Prime
05-05-2007, 12:48 AM
trying to be as objective here as possible:
since it is part of a trilogy (so far until movie 4 comes out), you'll pretty much remember that this story - as peter parker said in the opening scenes of part 1 - is "all about a girl."

yes, i agree with dak that there are some scenes that the movie could do without. and yes, i also agree that it had some great scenes as well.

yes, i watched it twice. the first one to get an impression of it, the second one to digest it more carefully. my opinion still remains that part 2 is the best of the three, but it doesn't mean spider-man 3 was a big disappointment.

my 2 cents.

ps.
for those of you following smallville and saw the episode last week, i find it coincidental that a major theme of that week's episode (nemesis) and spider-man 3's is about "friendship" and "the best of friends."

just a small observation.

Nightscrabbler
05-05-2007, 12:58 AM
I can't get over how terrible this movie was. What a joke. It wasn't just bad from the perspective of a Spider-Man fan, it was just bad in general. People in the theatre were laughing the whole way through and cheering when the good guys suffered. I must have posted in 10 separate discussion threads on the DonMurphy.net boards about how bad it was, here is a short list of its weaknesses:

The action scenes weren't good.
It was a soap opera.
The lines were stupid. "I like being bad"
Venom didn't seem very powerful or impressive.
Harry was idiotic the whole movie, not to mention he was a lame "high-tech" villain and nothing more, not unlike those generic ones from the recent Mainframe Spider-Man cartoon.
Mary Jane was as selfish as always.
Everything was shoved into your face. For example, the flashback to the church bell tower to show the symbiote hates loud sounds. Also, Peter explaining the 'lessons' in narration.
The whole dancing/strutting thing was done TOO much.

And the ending was so rushed, it was like he saved a cat from a tree. Which he did in a manner of speaking.

But my words can't describe it, see how bad it is for yourself, but I suggest waiting for its TV debut.

Evan
05-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm going to try and get in tonight if it isn't already sold out.

PrimeConvoy
05-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Seen it last night and I thought it was good, think it works well with the other 2, that i just rewatch on friday night too, sure it had its meh moments but so did the second one. Overall its great moive thinking the hype for some people might make them feel a little disappointed...but hype kills everything these days, especially when the moive been dont before.

soundwaveCA
05-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Went to this yesterday, must say I thought it was pretty blah.

Guber
05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
I dunno what the heck you dudes are talking about! I thought it was f%$king awesome! And yes, I am a spider-man comic reader. There are a couple scenes that maybe were a bit too cheeky, but it was a respectable risk that I can still appreciate. Overall, I'd say very well done.

Aernaroth
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Saw it. wasn't good enough to really be reccommendable, but wasn't bad enough to amuse us through making fun of it. Meh.

Shepp
05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
well, i'll watch some of it at home and see whether its worth my $15 to see it. theater prices might have gone up since i last went, so it might be more than that.

Dave-astator
05-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, I paid $8.25 and it was an okay movie. I also used to follow the comic book so I knew what to expect, and there were some cheesy and drawn out parts, but every movie has that.
I was a little disappointed that the climax battle was a little too quick...after all, it was Spidey's greatest nemesis...save for Carnage.
Just seemed a little too quick for my liking...but then again, we can't have an entire movie full of battle sequences....can we?

Overall, I won't see it again in the theater, but I will probably buy it when it gets released on DVD.
I'm also bummed out they didn't have another gratuitous THO shot of Mary Jane....;)

Nightscrabbler
05-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Saw it. wasn't good enough to really be reccommendable, but wasn't bad enough to amuse us through making fun of it. Meh.
I disagree, I plenty enjoyed making fun of it. It was awful.

Evan
05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
I enjoyed it. But it did seem like there were some drawn out scenes, and then cram other stuff in. I suppose it is difficult to cram 15 years worth of comics into a film. Spidey 2 did a better job in that respect. Without going into too much detail for spoiler reasons- Some parts should've just been a set up for the next movie, but I can understand Raimi wanting to wrap it up for "the trilogy's" sake.
But other than that, I really enjoyed it and would see it again.

Aernaroth
05-07-2007, 01:28 PM
They should make the next one about the clone saga so I can actually see heads in the audience explode from confusement.

GMfan
05-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Still haven't seen it but I doesn't stop me from believing that the movie could have done without Sandman or Gwen Stacey leaving more time for Venom and Green Goblin (none of this New Goblin BS he could have least had the orginal mask and board from the first movie instead of his ninja one and hoverboard).

prowl 4 mvp
05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Still haven't seen it but I doesn't stop me from believing that the movie could have done without Sandman or Gwen Stacey leaving more time for Venom and Green Goblin

I have seen it - you're dead on the money.

Sokar
05-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Still haven't seen it but I doesn't stop me from believing that the movie could have done without Sandman or Gwen Stacey leaving more time for Venom and Green Goblin (none of this New Goblin BS he could have least had the orginal mask and board from the first movie instead of his ninja one and hoverboard).

Personally I'd disagree with you on that. I thought Sandman was one of the few great characters in the movie. Granted the sand monster thing in the end battle was kind of pointless, but otherwise he seemed to be less 1-dimensional than some of the others. I agree about Gwen Stacey, but I don't think Mary Jane or Venom were particularly great in the movie either.

The new goblin was kind of cool I thought, though I defintely would have liked to see more of the original GG.

I think they could have had an excelent movie if they had focused on Sandman as the primary villian, and with the new Goblin being a developing side story. They could have focused much more on the black suited spiderman becoming more evil/insane throughout the entire film, and at the end having him get rid of the symbiote, only for it to be dumped onto eddie brock, thereby setting up the next film. That way they could have had an entire film to develop Brock's character, as well as MJ, Spiderman, and Goblin's characters.

I did enjoy the film, but they did seem to try to cram too much into it, and it really missed out on some good opportunities to make the film more than just a normal popcorn movie.

Protoman
05-08-2007, 12:35 AM
I think they could have made 2 movies just from this one. It killed me that Venom was so limited in the movie. I could see the whole Sandman/New Goblin thing being Spiderman 3 and Gwen/Black suit/Venom being a whole other movie. Flesh it out man! Too much in 2 hours

GMfan
05-08-2007, 12:52 AM
just got back from seeing it and I totally agree with protoman and sokar. They could have done Sandman and GG in this one and left Venom for another (may I point out that venom never even said his name, not even a classic "WE ARE VENOM!"). But I understand them doing it all in this one with all the actors on the fence about doing another movie which rumor has it if done would have the Lizard as the main baddie. I'm still crossing my fingers that Venom lived and that they do a Venom and Carnage vs. Spider-man movie....maybe its just me but that would be an all hell breaks loose battle!

Ondoher Prime
05-08-2007, 02:30 AM
GM, there is a bit of the symbiote in dr. connor's lab still...:)

Dave-astator
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Actually, wouldn't it be a Venom and Spidey vs. Carnage, since that was the way it was originally.

But I totally agree that they could've done without Gwen and developed Brock/Venom from the beginning.
One of Spiderman's most lethal adversaries, didn't seem too lethal and I even had to explain why sound hurt him...the movie didn't.
Also, what's the deal with the dance routine, the terrible singing and the cheesy comedy routine with JJJ and his blood pressure medecine. Totally uncalled for.
But at least we did get to see Ms. Brant in a new "position". ;)

Protoman
05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Again, too much was throw at you as a viewer. Granted I was a viewer that knew a great deal about all the characters prior to seeing the movie due to comics, but a non-comic viewer would be just a little lost, also....... was the scenes with Peter Parker walking around like a ladies man pointing at people REALLY needed.

jourdo
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I finally got a chance to see this last night. Overall, it was enjoyable. I agree with others, who have said that the stories seemed rushed. They definitely could have split this up into two movies.

Xalticus
05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
For the longest time imdb had a Cleatus Cassidy Cameo set for in the movie which had me on the edge of my seat, I was disappointed when he wasn't there.

Nightscrabbler
05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I thought the Goblin/Sandman/Venom package could've worked, but they spent too much time making the Black Spider a whiny teenager trying to show up his girlfriend, rather than someone driven to the edge and taking it out on his real enemies. What happened is you had two origins (Sandman and symbiote) that made no sense, and then a bunch of logic gaps. The majority of the film was a comedy, and then the big finale was weak on many levels.

GMfan
05-13-2007, 09:43 PM
*cough Venom 4 life

RandomFerret
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
All the problems in that movie could have been fixed by getting rid of Sandman completely. His plot has the most holes, and without it there would be an extra half-hour to fix the pacing problems with everybody else.

Plus, it would make Venom fans especially happy since he'd have to be bigger and badder in order for Spidey and Gobby's team-up to make sense.

Autovolt 127
05-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Peter was such an asshole,Losing Eddy's job,Making M.J Jealous,YUP! I like the part when J.J.J bought the girls camera for $100.00 and film was extra.:D

Gravedigger
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
O.K whats up with the 20 minuite scene od Parker doing his hair emo and then flirting with the chicks

And when in the comics did Spider-Man hit his woman?

And why would they kill off Venom so early:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Horrible movie

Xalticus
05-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I think they lost the script during filming and decided to make it up as they went along.

Nerroth
05-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Definitely the least impressive of the 3 movies.

It just felt so... sloppy. It needed a better editor, the end product just doesn't hold together all that well.

And the acting felt very phoned-in - maybe James Franco left his effort cubes on the set of Flyboys!

Franchise fatigue, anyone?

Gary

Shaun_C
05-15-2007, 12:01 AM
And when in the comics did Spider-Man hit his woman?

The only time I can remember Spider-man striking MJ was during the Clone saga. He found out he was the clone and Ben was the prime Peter. They fought, MJ tried to break 'em up and Peter backhanded her.

So Spidey getting rough with MJ's not new stuff

Xalticus
05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
The only time I can remember Spider-man striking MJ was during the Clone saga. He found out he was the clone and Ben was the prime Peter. They fought, MJ tried to break 'em up and Peter backhanded her.

So Spidey getting rough with MJ's not new stuff

Was that Before, after or During Spider-Carnage?

Super_Megatron
05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Regardless of the poor reviews I still feel the need to see it myself. The wife and I will meet up with some friends Sunday night to check it out.

jourdo
05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Regardless of the poor reviews I still feel the need to see it myself. The wife and I will meet up with some friends Sunday night to check it out.

My wife thought it was the best of the 3. That was until I started to give the back story of the characters. Then she told me to shut up.

JLvatron
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
It was a soap opera.
Harry was idiotic the whole movie, not to mention he was a lame "high-tech" villain and nothing more, not unlike those generic ones from the recent Mainframe Spider-Man cartoon.
Everything was shoved into your face. For example, the flashback to the church bell tower to show the symbiote hates loud sounds. Also, Peter explaining the 'lessons' in narration.

And the ending was so rushed, it was like he saved a cat from a tree. Which he did in a manner of speaking.

But my words can't describe it, see how bad it is for yourself, but I suggest waiting for its TV debut.

I saw this last night and loved it. I disagree with most of your comments:

-I thought they were awesome. Many moments I caught myself exclaiming "Cool!" and "wow!". I surely got a "Matrix!" in near the end.

-Ok, I'll give you that, but it didn't distract from the film.

-You're right. He was hardly explored and shouldn't have been in it at all. They shoulda had him in S4 where they could concentrate on just Venom.

-Not at all idiotic-cer than he was already established in Sp 1. I guess he could be high tech since they already developped him in #1 & 2, but it was awesome to see his relationship with Peter still grow. A
nd his rocket board scenes were absolutely beautiful. Matrix, I'd have been in tears if they had more of it.

-Wow, I very disagree. Peter was a jerk kissing Gwen, and this was before he was enfused by the alien. MJ was actually generously forgiving of him.

-The narration was nothing new, and the churchbell didn't seem shoved to me. I knew it as a fan but the non-spiders in the audience wouldn't have known about the sonics.

-Agreed. But since I found the movie had so much comedy it only added to it. I guess if I didn't laugh as much I'd have seen it as more on the cheesy/annoying side.

-Completely disagree. Unlike much of the movie, I found the ending NOT rushed. Like they rushed the rest just to have a great fight scene, Harry twist, and Peter development when forgiving the Sandman.

-I disagree on this too. Whether it's as good as I say or as bad as you say, the tv wait just would not be worth it.:)

JLvatron
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I think they could have made 2 movies just from this one. It killed me that Venom was so limited in the movie. I could see the whole Sandman/New Goblin thing being Spiderman 3 and Gwen/Black suit/Venom being a whole other movie. Flesh it out man! Too much in 2 hours

Totally agree. Sandman was way cooler than I thought and the Harry storyline was so good that this movie should have been about Sandman, Harry, Gwen, heck even the landlord's sweet daughter who had a crush on Peter!:p

Brock shoulda bin introduced in this film just to start his rivalry with Peter, but the entire alien costume shoulda bin focussed in the next film without any other major Harry/Sandman storyline.

JLvatron
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM

I suggest you just keep in mind the pattern of the 1st 2 Spidey films:
Highly flawed, yet highly enjoyable.

Also, how did you like Grindhouse? I loved it.:cool:

Nightscrabbler
05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
If none of that fazed you JL, what about the ridiculous origins of Sandman and the arrival of the symbiote? Just because it's a 'comic book movie' doesn't justify the complete absence of logic.

JLvatron
05-18-2007, 04:12 PM
If none of that fazed you JL, what about the ridiculous origins of Sandman and the arrival of the symbiote? Just because it's a 'comic book movie' doesn't justify the complete absence of logic.

Sandman's origin was similar to the Hulk's; an experiment gone wrong, tons of people around, nobody notices. So not ridiculous, just a little fast.

The alien's arrival, was quite gratuitous. But all the accelerated Venom stuff can be dumped into the 'Venom should have had his own movie' drawer.

Super_Megatron
05-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Also, how did you like Grindhouse? I loved it.:cool:

By the time we tried to go see it none of the theatres in my area were playing it anymore. :(

Evan
05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
-Agreed. But since I found the movie had so much comedy it only added to it. I guess if I didn't laugh as much I'd have seen it as more on the cheesy/annoying side.

-Completely disagree. Unlike much of the movie, I found the ending NOT rushed. Like they rushed the rest just to have a great fight scene, Harry twist, and Peter development when forgiving the Sandman.

-I disagree on this too. Whether it's as good as I say or as bad as you say, the tv wait just would not be worth it.:)

I agree that dancing/strutting was too long, but I tolerated it since it was funny.

I felt the movie was rushed for the ending too. Sure there were the scenes that dragged on like strutting and Bruce Campbell in the restaurant, but it's Bruce Campbell! I just wish he had more screen time.
SPOILERS AHEAD!
Harry getting his memory back should've been in the next movie. Venom being a major baddie should have been in the next movie as well. But if this didn't happen in this movie, we wouldn't have seen Peter forgiving himself (and "defeating the evil within" or whatever the slogan is) or forgiving his uncle's killer. Which is sort of an acceptable change since the thought to be killer died in the first movie, and a new killer was needed for Peter to face and forgive. I felt a little ripped off though because in a way it's almost like he became Spider-Man by accident and chased down the wrong guy, instead of trying to avenge his uncle. And when Sandman floats off as dust in the wind, I shead a single tear. He was forgiven. Sniff.
END SPOILERS!

I think waiting for TV is a bad idea too. Even if you hate the movie, the special effects on the big screen are cool.