PDA

View Full Version : A thought for next year's pizza party

Stormrave
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
My faithful henchman Phalanx and I were discussing the pizza party and considering that next year, if I could get another helper or two, we might be able to sell pizza by the slice.

His idea was that charging, say, $1.50 per slice allows the hungry people to eat their fill, while those with more delicate appetites don't need to pay $7 if they're only going to eat one piece. He admitted that this would require more helpers to hand out pizza.

My counter was that with just two of us running it, it was a lot easier for every guest to pay a flat rate and get a certain amount up to a maximum of 4 slices. There was a bit more flexibility to not have to pre-order each slice. It was also easier for me to gauge how much pizza to get (I ordered 4 squares for every pre-registrant, which left me with enough left over to handle a few unexpected guests) and it meant there was a lot less fussing with change etc.

So for those who came or may come next year, what do you think?

JLvatron
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I think the bottom line should be your convenience. Don't do it if it makes it hard for you.
If people wanna volunteer, that would be great, but otherwise I think it worked out well.

I guess 1 thing you can do is give folks an idea of teh size of a slice. I suspected like a regular large pizza circle cut into 8 pieces; no way I could eat more than 3.
But these rectangular cuts were smaller and I was able to eat all 4.

Either way, 7$ is a pretty good deal for a decent meal plus pop.

Aernaroth
05-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Especially at a hotel.

Protoman
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe try to implicate it into the preregistration or something cause a lot of people said they were going to come and didn't and thus you bought so much pizza...... I don't want you to waste money =P Granted the pizza did find a nice home ^_^

Ninjatron
05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Personally I would definitely appreciate the option to buy by the slice. I only had 2 pieces and didn't get a drink, so to only spend on what I took would have been a lot better. However I do understand that it might not be completely feasible to do it that way.

What I would have really liked, though, would have been a microwave to warm the pizza up when they got cold. That's a luxury though, but it'd be great.

Anyway, I was perfectly happy to pay the $7 and get what I got without going anywhere. In fact, that pizza was the only money I spent all weekend!

Sayonara.

JLvatron
05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
In fact, that pizza was the only money I spent all weekend!

Wow! You're the Canadian Transformers Economizer!:)

TFcon Toronto
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
From an organizers perspective, I feel that charging by the slice would create more of an opportunity for people to buy the amount that they want.

Ninjatron
05-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow! You're the Canadian Transformers Economizer!:)
That's a nice way of saying "You're a cheap bastard!"

And yeah, I am. :p

Sayonara.

JLvatron
05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
That's a nice way of saying "You're a cheap bastard!"

And yeah, I am. :p

Sayonara.

aaaaHAHAHAHHHH!!!:D :D

Stormrave
09-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Next question...if "by the slice" made it a little slower for everyone to get their pizza, would it still be worth it?

It was easy when one price was help yourself up to 4 pieces. It's going to be harder if slices are handed out as they're sold/if people have to be given their particular number of slices and have their particular change counted out. If I can't get more volunteers, the line will slow down. I'm definitely considering doing it this way by popular request, but want to check because i know it'll be more time consuming.

JLvatron
09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Next question...if "by the slice" made it a little slower for everyone to get their pizza, would it still be worth it?

It was easy when one price was help yourself up to 4 pieces. It's going to be harder if slices are handed out as they're sold/if people have to be given their particular number of slices and have their particular change counted out. If I can't get more volunteers, the line will slow down. I'm definitely considering doing it this way by popular request, but want to check because i know it'll be more time consuming.

Hmm, very good question. By the slice is a great option but not if it bogs down the system, especially with the pizza getting cold as Ninjatron pointed out.

Timing could be the issue.
At the beginning with a big line up, waiting for by-the-slice is too long. But after a while the line would really cut down, so by-the-slice wouldn't be hard to handle.

So I suggest Start with the same 4 slice-pop deal as before. Then once the line dies down, offer the by-the-slice option if there's any pizza left.

Of course the most important part is what works for you. Your life shouldn't get complicated for providing us with a great service.

Stormrave
09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
If I could get more than one faithful sidekick to help me, like say if I had 3 or 4 people, it would go pretty fast by-the-slice.

Problem is, I might well not have Phalanx this year, and that means I'd have to look for volunteers closer to the con.

Think I might make that be the deciding factor. No volunteers to help me = old way. My own staff = new way.

Staffers would get a pizza discount in exchange for labour.

Protoman
09-18-2007, 03:56 AM
Well as long as someone is willing to sit down and do the math. I have been to conventions were people had to line up, and wait for food. I don't mind, whatever works out for the friday.

Just form a line, and they state how much they want and what at a set price. I know last time a lot of people got wayy more then they payed for due to unstable planning... I was one of them ;)

Aernaroth
09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Or you could have split the line, and have people buy tickets, then go pick up their pizza by the slice. Might work out faster, but I doubt it.

JLvatron
09-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I know last time a lot of people got wayy more then they payed for due to unstable planning... I was one of them ;)

Cheater! Cheater!
More-than-4-slices-Pizza Eater!
:p

Stormrave
11-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Hey, I broke even last year, that was good enough for me.

I think I'll try selling by the slice this year. Pre order is bloody awkward though, since last year showed me how many people didn't show up, and how many people showed up who hadn't pre ordered. I'm still putting up a pre order just so I have an idea of how much and what kinds to order.

Prices will probably be to the tune of $1.50 a slice and 75 cents for a pop. Does that sound fair? (I reserve the right to change the price depending on the cost of pizza plus delivery by the time the con rolls around. Yes, I'll make it cheaper if there's some awesome promotion on at pizza pizza.)

JLvatron
11-12-2007, 10:59 AM
How does it sound? The fact that it's cheaper and in singles is a great deal!

p.s. you sure the math is right?;)

Stormrave
11-12-2007, 11:12 PM
What was my math last year? Two slices and a pop for 4 bucks?

I'm living in ONtario now and already following PIzza Pizza flyers for the best specials....

JLvatron
11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
What was my math last year? Two slices and a pop for 4 bucks?

Last year: 4 slices + pop (bundle) = $7

New idea: 4 slices + pop (by slice/pop) = $ 6.75

Stormrave
11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Given how many leftover pops I had last year, if attendance is roughly similar, I get a case less pop, and pizza prices don't go up....yes, I can do it 25 cents cheaper. :)

Stormrave
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Currently, looks like pizza prices will be $1.75/slice. Za is more expensive this year.