PDA

View Full Version : How many of you collect MISB only?

BT-RX8
04-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Just curious how many people here keep their TFs MISB. If so, do you do anything special to minimize wear and tear?

I currently wrap all my TFs in clear gift wrap and store them on shelves for display. :o

BadJeff
04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I love buying things MISB but everything comes out of package and goes on display. (Except for the Hard Hero Devastator I'm trying to get rid of:rolleyes: ). To me, the whole joy of collecting is opening the package, transforming it once then putting it on display. I could never resist opening a mint package regardless of the value.

Xalticus
04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I weigh the boxes then find something of equal weight, remove the toy, and replace it with an equally weighted item, this works best with the fully enclosed boxes, especially ones in perfect shape, I then resell "crud" filled boxes to unsuspecting collectors that prefer to keep stuff perfectly MISB, they'll find out it was a scam several years later once they finally snap and think "Whats the harm, I'll take a peek".

This is of course a joke :P, and also why I'm not into the misb scene.

BadJeff
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Makes ya wonder how many people have been screwed over that way and don't even realize it.

Tech Spec
04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
All TF's come out of box... well most of 'em. I still have some E-Hobbies sealed.

BT-RX8
04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Well i think 80-90% of TFs can be seen in package thru some clear plastic on the front anyways. The only MISBs i got that cant be seen in package are the MPs :confused:

RedOktobre
04-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Hi BT-RX8,

I collect MISB in addition to:

1. Opening them
2. Displaying them
3. Playing with them
3.a long range projectile shooting
3.b autobot in auto mode raming decepticon
3.c decepticon bombing autobot from air
3.d firing a projectile against G1 Rumble standing on edge of a table and watching him fall down (this is my favourite)

I have more MISB than "opened." My opened ones are mainly G1, Takara (Diaclone) G1, 1 Cybertron (Ransack GTS), and 3" Titanium.

By the way, I had posted a similar question on the main "American" TF board.

I would like to open and display more TFs, but I don't often have enough extra money to buy duplicates. Ideally, I try buy 2 TFs: 1 for opening; 1 for MISB.

I find it neat and get a "weird" satisfaction from displaying my unopened boxes of TFs on my shelves. My girlfriend gets very disappointed that I don't open my TFs. She bought me the Costco Prime & Wing Saber exclusive for my Christmas gift. She was hoping that I opened it so that she can transform them and merge them into Sonic mode.

RedOktobre

chaingunsofdoom
04-29-2007, 01:35 AM
No room for much MISB stuff. I tend to keep the ehobby (Sunstorm, etc.) and other newer special Japanese releases (Masterpiece Megs/Magnus) sealed though.

PrimeConvoy
05-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a few MIB but there all repaints, although i've been thinking about opening them up and letting them out lately. I like having the figures displayed out in all there glory rather being in there alt modes in a box.

Aernaroth
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I dont keep anything in box except for a very good reason (ie. extremely rare, autographed box, etc) if I intend to hold onto it. If I didnt, Id never get to play with them. Also, I buy loose because it doesnt cost nearly as much, and doesnt take up nearly as much space. I do hold onto the boxes in some cases though.

soundwaveCA
05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
What's this box thing you speak of?

Protoman
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
See the thing is Transformers are a unique kind of toy, and thus also unique when it comes to MISB collecting. If you pick up a X-men action figure, you more or less got a idea of the toy right there on the bubble....... but with a TF, it's only half the story. I only keep some stuff MISB if it's uber rare (like G1 gold Rodimus/Primus or any lucky draw stuff I got) or a double of some favorite figure (like say Classics Rodimus/Mirage).

RedOktobre
05-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Protoman, Classic Hot Rod is one of my favourite Classic figures too; however, Mirage is not. I just realized something.. I have a Classic Mirage. hmm.... why did I buy it? Oh well. By the way, Mirage does NOT sell well in Vancouver for some reason.

Aemaroth, space seems to be common problem among many collectors.

RedOktobre

Socko76
05-02-2007, 01:53 PM
I never understood MISB collectors for Transformers. Any other thing like Star Wars, sure, but Transformers, the whole point is that there is at least two states the thing could be in. If you want to leave it as a car, collect hot wheels.

BTW: Classics Mirage is overstocked EVERYWHERE! I was just in buffalo and all the Target had was them. Same deal as the Wal mart near my work.

Super_Megatron
05-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I throw out all my boxes.

RedOktobre
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Socko76,
I collect MISB. When money allows and/or I love the figure, I buy 2: one for playing; one for MISB.

Trust me, my own girlfriend asks the same question: why I collect MISB. She told me that we will never have a fight again. Instead, if she is pissed off at me, she'll just walk over to my collection and open them all! Man, I'd rather beg for giveness on my hands & knees than for her to open my TFs!

As for why I collect MISB, I find it neat to be able to stare and admire an unopened box. It's in perfect condition ready to be played with! In MISB, the TF survives the passage to time without wear & tear!

By the way, I do have 2 hot wheels MISB too!

RedOktobre

Protoman
05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
By the by, the reasoning for the overstock of Mirage is how he is shippied, he comes in a case of 4 Mirage, 1 Grimlock and 1 Jetfire. The same thing happens with most case assortments, like Armada Smokescreen and Energon combiner parts.

Cruellock
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I open them all, but I do have a MISB Energon Mirage since I ended up with 2 of them.

noodle
05-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I usually open all my transformers, and throw away the boxes. But like so many, I dont usually throw away Japanese transformer boxes. I only starting collecting MISB transformers with Transformers Classics.

A reason for thus is I dont really plan to purchase any of the movie figures. So basically I intend to purchase two of each deluxe figure; One for MISB and the other for display and/or Kitbash...that will be interesting.

RedOktobre
05-03-2007, 12:54 AM
hey noodle,
What's wrong with collecting the movie figs? You're going to miss out!

hmm... how do you "kitbash"?

Xalticus
05-03-2007, 01:12 AM
hey noodle,
What's wrong with collecting the movie figs? You're going to miss out!

hmm... how do you "kitbash"?

Kitbashing is the process of chopping up one object and gluing it to another, then giving it a fancy paint job.

noodle
05-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Nothings really wrong with the movie figures. Its just alot of the figures im not really interested in.

I also notice that im not a vivid transformer collector that I once was; I did collect a lot of Armada and Energon, probably around 6 Cybertron figures and right now just trying to actually complete the Classics line to the extent of deluxes. So im just slowing it down a bit.

Im also currently enrolled in the Faculty of Fine Arts at the University of Manitoba, so when im not spending money on Art supplies, or Gas I'll purchase a figure or two. So during the movie toy period it will definately give me a chance to focus more of my finances towards school supplies and/or kitbashing.

Kitbashing is something I always wanted to try my hand at it and this summers a good chance to try it out; having more free time and money. Hey, maybe I could use a repaint + custom packaging as a sclupture project!

Shepp
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
personally i dont bother with MISB or MOSC collecting. i keep very few packages to begin with, and it always feels like i'm liberating the figures from their prison when i open them up.

that being said, i have a whole bunch of respect for MISB and MOSC collector. its impressive to see row upon row of figures pristine in their packaging, without any fingerprints except for the employees that put them in the packages.

since there arent that many old MISB and MOSC figures around, i try to get mine out of package, or in packages that the seals have been broken. i mean, i'm going to take them out anyways. (well, unless they're out at retail at the moment, since MISB collectors can readily get them whenever they want)

Shaun_C
05-15-2007, 12:05 AM
*Raises hand*

Due to certain "situations" I find it easier to keep my stuff MIB/MISB for easy storage :)

jourdo
05-15-2007, 01:11 AM
The only ones that are still in their boxes are the ones I've not gotten around to opening yet (I'm looking at you Alt Swerve, Rollbar, Riccochet, Camshaft, Rumble, and Ravage).

I've never understood the whole MISB thing. Do you think they will be more valuable later? Is it really that much of a big ticket item that it is worth it? To me toys are meant to be played with. Can someone explain the attraction of NOT opening up a toy?

Dark Rage
05-15-2007, 01:14 AM
The only ones that are still in their boxes are the ones I've not gotten around to opening yet (I'm looking at you Alt Swerve, Rollbar, Riccochet, Camshaft, Rumble, and Ravage).

I've never understood the whole MISB thing. Do you think they will be more valuable later? Is it really that much of a big ticket item that it is worth it? To me toys are meant to be played with. Can someone explain the attraction of NOT opening up a toy?

Profit. People may be contempt to simply own it with the toy in the box, and then maybe resell it later at a higher price. But then you can always solve it by buying 2 of the same items.

You should see how inflated prices can be for a popular, hyped up pair of exclusive sneakers on Ebay.

jourdo
05-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Profit. People may be contempt to simply own it with the toy in the box, and then maybe resell it later at a higher price. But then you can always solve it by buying 2 of the same items.

You should see how inflated prices can be for a popular, hyped up pair of exclusive sneakers on Ebay.

Do you really make THAT much now-a-days? It seems there are too many people collecting, that the toys will not be that "rare" 20 years from now. Many of us were kids at the time when G1 came out and did not really think about keeping these toys in pristine condition. So those who did manage to keep them MISB have items that are not widely available. But now? Still worth it?

RedOktobre
05-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Do you really make THAT much now-a-days? It seems there are too many people collecting, that the toys will not be that "rare" 20 years from now. Many of us were kids at the time when G1 came out and did not really think about keeping these toys in pristine condition. So those who did manage to keep them MISB have items that are not widely available. But now? Still worth it?

jourdo, you are probably RIGHT. MISB collectors who intend to "re-sell" or "flip" will probably NOT make much of a profit.

I collect MISB as well. I believe that this collector, iluvu_superion, best describes why some people love collecting MISB:

I prefer buying a MISB item over a loose because as we all know, nothing feels better than opening a brand new toy and the smelling the inside packaging and just being the first to touch it, somewhat like undressing a brand new girlfriend...I guess in a way, if it ain't tainted, your experience will be better...so to speak. I am sure people who do keep it misb to sell it later is doing future collectors a favor of experiencing a brand new packaged item and experience that undressing...i mean opening, of that toy. It just so happens that everyone wants that experience and is willing to fork up that kinda cash to feel it.
Lemme ask you this, how much would u guys pay to open a few G1 MISB toys in this age? A lot probably...or not...i'm just saying

Please note that this quote is from the TFW2005 site dated for April 13, 2007.

Dark Rage
05-15-2007, 02:16 AM

If a Generation X adult is feeling nostalgic and has money to burn, yes, they would probably be willing to pay the extra money for a toy that is long or even recently out of stock.

But with all the reissues lately, the demand for authentic original TFs may be lowered, especially if one just wants to open and play with it, who gives a damn if it's a reissue or not?

...Like the second Reissue of G1 Optimus/Megatron/Starscream/Soundwave by Takara Tomy for this summer, I believe they're at a lower price than the first G1 reissues, possibly w/ cheaper or fewer packaging materials. If you want to open and play w/ it, wouldn't you get the cheaper one?

Hmm...I'm feeling a bit guilty, I got a second Alternators Optimus that I just had to buy, hopefully to resell or trade, heh.

kidkid
05-15-2007, 02:30 AM
I personally don't like those G1 reissue stuff.....come on....they look ugly, lol sorry, just my own opinion. But I collect most of my TF in MISB, cuz my room is small...I put all my TFs against the wall in box...i haf one wall full of TFs, another full of gundams and Final Fantasy stuff....moving on to next wall.. My parents are complaining already :D

Shepp
05-15-2007, 08:35 PM
so it really is easier to store the figures in box and on card than loose? doesnt the empty space within the package just take up extra room?

Vangelus
05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I open most of mine, and keep packaging that intrigues me (sometimes end up tossing it after a bit anyway).

I truly feel for some of you MISB folks though, especially with the oddly-shaped and easily-damaged packaging right now.

RedOktobre
05-26-2007, 01:19 PM
I open most of mine, and keep packaging that intrigues me (sometimes end up tossing it after a bit anyway).

I truly feel for some of you MISB folks though, especially with the oddly-shaped and easily-damaged packaging right now.

Vangelus, yes, I seem to be experiencing the problem that you speculated about. Due to the lack of space, my boxed (MISB) TF figures are all over the place in the house (closet, living room, dining room, computer room, bedroom, etc). I thought about creating a "Transformers" room, but my parents would NEVER approve.

hmm... I just thought of something. Maybe I like collecting the 3" Titanium & Scout figures because the box size is more manageable?

Robimus
05-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Everything I collect for myself comes out of the box.I do pick up some items to sell at the local Con's that stay in the boxes untill resold. Gives me an excuse to buy a table at the shows.

Mega_Zarak
05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
My transformers collection is mostly MIB G1(vintage). I don't collect MISB unless I find a good deal and usually I don't keep MISB G1 transformers for a long time...I sell them for a much higher price. With the profit I buy more MIB transformers.

bluefrenzy
05-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I think I'm inadvertently a part-time MISBer ... sometimes I "forget" and leave them in a corner. Most of my stuff is out of the box though

Synch
05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
My transformers collection is mostly MIB G1(vintage). I don't collect MISB unless I find a good deal and usually I don't keep MISB G1 transformers for a long time...I sell them for a much higher price. With the profit I buy more MIB transformers.

that seems more like hording or scalping to me... I duno what you call it... I assume you do actually keep toys you don't sell though as well ?.. :)

Oasis
05-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a mini TF Cybertron Soundwave I got from Herrods in London that I will NEVER open, because the 4.59 pound price tag is still on it. I have a MIB Hot Rod Japanese Re-issue.

If I KNOW that I'm keeping it for MIB, I keep it MIB. Everything else is fair game for my photocomic. :)

Dark Rage
05-29-2007, 11:33 PM
that seems more like hording or scalping to me... I duno what you call it... I assume you do actually keep toys you don't sell though as well ?.. :)

Flipper, collector, whatever you call that kind of Transformer fan.

Another way of interpreting this would be investing.
If you compare the prices of say, an Alternator Shockblast at retail then to now, the cost of having fun and playing with it would be the price of the toy itself.

So, whichever floats your boat; I just really like attempting to transform it myself by guessing it without the manual, I'm able to do it correctly for most TFs, but the Alts and Masterpieces aren't so easy (plus expensive, wouldn't want to break anything).

Synch
05-29-2007, 11:45 PM
well at least you seem hooked like the rest of us :P yeah with g1 my mom would allways freak when I would rip them out of the box and start transforming them with out reading the instructions first :D

Pascal
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
I open all my toys but only keep the very cool boxes (the Japanese ones).

Tech Spec
05-30-2007, 03:48 AM
I open all my toys but only keep the very cool boxes (the Japanese ones).

same :cool:

nostromo0526
05-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Dedicated MISB'er here!

Mega_Zarak
05-31-2007, 11:59 PM

I'm not a scalper!. I keep my MIB transformers.
Why keep a 300$ MISB toy? which you can't transform. With 300$ I could have probably at least 3-5 G1 boxed transformers that I can transform when I want.

Dark Rage
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm not a scalper!. I keep my MIB transformers.
Why keep a 300$ MISB toy? which you can't transform. With 300$ I could have probably at least 3-5 G1 boxed transformers that I can transform when I want.

Well at least you're making money/breaking even with that technique.

Isn't the whole point of getting a Transformer to transform the sucker? I can't really enjoy a TF if it's just sitting in a box.

Although if it's like a transformer out of a batch of 800, I wouldn't be so sure about opening it.

Then again, hardcore collectors solve this problem by buying 2 of each item; one to open, one to be MISB.

Pascal
06-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Buying 2 of each is pretty sick imo. :p

Synch
06-01-2007, 01:43 AM

:D Who here does that?.. No one here that I KNOW OF ;)

Ok guilty! I do this some times but only with the really really cool stuff or the stuff that strikes me as cool... Example... MP megs.. I did the same with mp op as well... Some stuff is just too costly to do that though... but if Its a line I like enough for a figure that I think looks cool enough & is a a fave of mine you bet you're ass I will snag a extra to open and play with and display!

Some times I will wait till sales or clearances or buy one cheap off someone selling a used one too...

Marvel legends by toybiz was another nasty line... I got 2x of allmost everything from them UHG! My wallet keeps trying to kill me in my sleep for that one still:eek:

Dark Rage
06-01-2007, 01:58 AM
I think it's particularly scary how some people specifically get 2 (or more) of really exclusive TFs, like botcons, or really limited releases. I'm sure the word "resale" comes to mind ;)

C_Shewins
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I throw away all the boxes, take too much room. I don't have MISB, but I like buying MISB. I am exciting on open boxes.

RedOktobre
06-02-2007, 04:56 AM

Hey, I bought two of the following:

Cybertron Ransack
Cybertron Clocker
Classics Hot Rod
Titanium 3" Grimlock
Titanium 3" Predaking
Titanium 3" Cybertron Megatron
Titanium 3" Ark

You know what? I feel "healthy as a horse!" :D

Furthermore, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever! :)

Synch, you're NOT alone!

Metal_head666
09-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Personally i keep all my transformers in MISB because to me at first i was like i am going to sell them and whatnot. but now i am starting to get more and more into transformers. and i am finally understanding the transformer culture. now i know i will keep them MISB just so whenever i look on my dresser i see everything perfect. call my crazy but i just like seeing them in the box just my kind of thing. also i love transformers now so yeah

Benzo
09-15-2007, 12:00 AM
the only thing I really have that are MISB are my TF movie repaints and Robot Heros. I normally take everything out or leave it MIB

mitchmurphy
09-16-2007, 10:56 AM
depends, mostly i open my stuff and pose them on display. unless its really rare or i have 2 i usually open one and keep one sealed

JaySmith
09-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Almost everything I've purchased to date for collecting purposes has stayed MISB or MOSC with a few minor exceptions which are MIB. I have always felt that a nice crisp box adds to the overall appeal of the toy due to the sometimes amazing box artwork.

Scrapper6
09-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Technically speaking we've all baught 2 of any one particular mold out there... I mean, there's the G1 Seekers that share the same mold, Prowl/Smokescreen/Bluestreak. There's multiple paint jobs for Demolishor, Cyclonus, Optimus Primal, Cheetor. You name it Hasbro or Takara have repainted it at least once, and we're well on our way to having every mold ever redone at least once if E-Hobby keeps it up with the G1 re-isses and Takara eventually re-issues the entire run of G1 in one form or another.

So yeah, there are indeed multiples in our collections, but we don't think of it as buying 2 of each or more because hey... I may have Demolishor or Insert Name of Choice here, but that repaint is slick and I gotta have it, is the mentality of those who just can't get enough of Transformers collecting.

noodle
09-16-2007, 07:28 PM
usually most of my transformer purchases have been opened, played with, posed and displayed... then after a good amount of time spent collecting dust are tossed into a cardboard box and stored in the dark corners of my bedroom closet...

however, anything purchased within the last 4-5 months have remained MISB.

EnragedCoconut
09-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Every last one of mine is opened, generally, minutes after purchase. Toys are meant to be played with :).

IMO.

EC

Hound
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm an opener. And even *if* I were to have a double of the same TR, I would open both and pose one in robot mode and the other in alternate mode. I don't have any re-molds at the moment, but should I get one I'd treat it like a double and display them as such.

Buying TRs as an investment is not the best use of my money (though admittedly, you'd at least have the package to look at in the meantime).

tusko
09-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I am now making the switch to MISB. I buy them and figure I'll open them later. Packing the boxes away for a few years. Then I find them again and say cool, but since they are now hard to replace MISB they stay that way.

I only have a few put away, but its satisfying to have. A few years ago I would have called myself nuts!